• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Diamond Is Unbreakable 22

Time to check some reactions
on the death of the most annoying character in JoJo's history.

Re: Zero 16-21

Catching back up and WTF at Subaru's reaction to Rem's whole speech. My wife almost threw a shoe at the TV.
I love this. I just hope the show will keep fueling Rem fans with those Ls. lol

Episode 11 of Fate/Zero is probably one of my favorite anime episodes ever.

Rider's entire verbal smackdown of Saber is amazing And him following up with his power demonstration is up there with Domon V.S. Master Asia as one of the manliest scenes in anime.

I totally agree with this. Rider is so good. Funnily enough, I expected him to be a typical brawns over brains character, but he's perfect. A strategist, strong and certainly brighter than Saber.

Next level food sakuga.

Damn.

Ascheroth

DiU #22

msi2NAi.jpg
rlUpYoq.jpg
CddUmfS.jpg
8hEB35u.jpg

Daaaaamn. Better then fantastic episode. Did not expect
Shigechi to die
. That was brutal. And sad.
He might have been a little shit, but no one deserves to die that way.
And I love how everyone assembled after that happened and got clued in. It's really great how Stand users in DiU aren't all evil and either die or dissappear after their episode.
Really feels like a crazy, bizarre team somehow.

phaze

I mean, I get that she's pictured as a noble action woman which isn't all that common as far as anime character archetypes go so that could be a plus, but her character in the ufotable F/Zero and F/SN was just that, with no character progression or anything, so she felt bland as hell to me.

Doesn't she get
schooled on how naive and foolish her entire way of life was during pretty much every episode of F/Z.

Also Rider sucks and his speech in ep 11 shows him a clueless bastards who even after 2000 years doesn't have a clue what a terrible ruler he was.

Ascheroth

Doesn't she get
schooled on how naive and foolish her entire way of life was during pretty much every episode of F/Z.

Also Rider sucks and his speech in ep 11 shows him a clueless bastards who even after 2000 years doesn't have a clue what a terrible ruler he was.

Wow.
Is being so wrong even legally allowed?

Just how bad is S2 of Nisekoi? Is it Root A bad
It's kinda like Chunnibyou season 2. Nothing really progresses. I did hate how they made short work of one of the major arcs, they cut down too much but they had filler like episodes in the season so idk why they did that if they had episodes to waste.

I wonder if we'll get a final season filled with ship sinking and a true ended where Tsugumi wins :v

JulianImp

Episode 11 of Fate/Zero is probably one of my favorite anime episodes ever.

Rider's entire verbal smackdown of Saber is amazing And him following up with his power demonstration is up there with Domon V.S. Master Asia as one of the manliest scenes in anime.

I love hammy characters that actually get shit done, and Rider was the second example of such a character I found since Armstrong in FMA.

The actual source material has ended with a pretty definitive ending so I would expect them to get to that eventually.

Nisekoi will get to the ending eventually, but watching S2 isn't necessary at all, and I'd probably hazard a guess that S3 won't do anything either unless they skip through most of the remaining filler and get to the ship-sinking chapters right away.

If you're talking about UBW, that's because it's the second route, which is about Archer and Rin mostly. Saber got some some development in the first route (the one that has the bad anime). ...I think. But it's been ages so I might just be deluding myself.

Guess that makes sense, but it's still weird that the UBW anime didn't actually make me care about neither Rin nor Archer, either. Rin was a generic tsundere who slowly but steadily got together with Shiro but not much else, and Archer did get some better character development comapred to Rin, but it still felt pretty subpar for me as well.

And this talk about Rin and Nisekoi reminded me that I really can't stand by-the-book tsunderes like Rin and Chitoge, because on one hand people somehow put up with their little act all the time, and on the other they tend to keep those stupid tendencies even after they supposedly warm up to their love interests. I'd much rather see tsundere characters slowly dropping their little act as they warm up to others, rather than going on a their 100th date with their partner while still rambling about how they brought an extra lunchbox by mere coincidence, since they'd never ever cook for their stupid little love interests...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 22:

Indeed the real game has begun now that the actual arc villain has been found and the series is much better for it.

Sterok

Glitter Force S2 1

Return of AOTY. Kind of hard to remember everyone's names after so many months when most of them are usually different. Princess Breeze's hair is just as stupid as I remember it. Good to see the endings continue to be terrible.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 8

First they skip directly to the tower leaving part of the group behind?
More details of the mystery behind the MC?
Then that beautiful sword fight?
Then the twist of what was happening and the treason?
Enigmatic Gale is not something boring like the the old evil master but basically fantasy Lupin III???
ALL OF MY YES.

AOTY
POTY (Puppetry of the Year)

Good cinematography when they are in the
cages

One day Russell, Ako, and Rem will take ALLLLLLLL the L's.

Oh-hohoho~
Wussle getting another ring at your stadium, Ako already has it on lock and Rem, well I'm just hoping the author likes trolling but then goes with the waifu that has actually gotten screen time :'v

duckroll

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 08

Better than Kingsglaive, possibly better than Persona 5. First puppets slay anime, next they slay videogames. With 4 episodes left, they might even destroy white man TV. Odds of this ending better than The Night Of are pretty high!

phaze

Thunderbolt Fantasy 8

This doesn't look much like
betrayal yet but more like
"my keikaku was for your own good" kind of thing.

It's silly Shang never talked about
Enigmatic Gale
with people who would actually be willing to answer to him.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 8

This doesn't look much like
betrayal yet but more like
"my keikaku was for your own good" kind of thing.

It's silly Shang never talked about
Enigmatic Gale
with people who would actually be willing to answer to him.

The issue was that whenever he tried to ask about him, nobody trusted him enough to give an answer. He also didn't know anything about the name "enigmatic gale", so that line of questioning would never occur to him. He didn't really have anyone who he could ask who would answer in short

phaze

The issue was that whenever he tried to ask about him, nobody trusted him enough to give an answer. He also didn't know anything about the name "enigmatic gale", so that line of questioning would never occur to him. He didn't really have anyone who he could ask who would answer in short

He learned the EG name earlier didn't he ? That's why I thought he could talk about it with the priestess or the blond dumbass.

If not then I stand corrected.

Ed:

Exalted

Alderamin episode 8

They were finally mobilised to participate in the mountain war. I love the parts where Ikta is actually leading and commanding troops. The only thing i didn't like in this episode , is how all the high commanders in the military were portrayed like incompetent angry old men, to make our MC and his friend look good, was really not needed to go that far. The battle was great, but also brutal.
Poor Kanna :(

He learned the EG name earlier didn't he ? That's why I thought he could talk about it with the priestess or the blond dumbass.

If not then I stand corrected.

Ed:

I'm pretty sure the only place he heard about "Enigmatic Gale" before the betrayal was that Pheonix Slayer mentioned it once in a really vague statement that might not make it's relevance to white haired guy clear. That pic from this episode is referring to how Evil Leader called white haired dude that when white haired dude had already betrayed them

Eumi

Now we begin the long, long, long process of "Wait a minute, Kira has what? That's bullshit!" every time he shows up.

I can't wait.

Ascheroth

Alderamin #8

How the hell are all those old men this incompetent. Was the one guy who was the first to get killed really the only one somehow holding this mess together?
And shit, my hopes were shattered.
RIP Kanna. Right after you revealed you were totally in Iktas strikezone.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin Episode 8:

War, war never changes, expect that isn't entirely accurate as demonstrated very superbly by this episode in a manifold of ways from the changing nature of technology to what mountain warfare is actually like, it is details like this that really elevate the work. At first glance it may seem unrealistic that the actual braintrust in this neck of the woods is cartoonishly incompetent but that makes sense since this is supposed to be the peaceful backwater of The Empire and thus you would expect the shit tier leaders to find themselves here. Indeed, I am still unsure exactly why they have fomented rebellion beyond arrogance and ethnic hatred but perhaps that is all they needed.
I am also glad that Ikta and Friends were tempered and thus they have experienced both victory and defeat in the same campaign. Also, god damn, this series got brutal in a hurry.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Amanchu

As much as I love this show I have to say this. The uniform for the girls is one of the ugliest school uniforms I think I've seen in all of anime

Joe Molotov

Amanchu

As much as I love this show I have to say this. The uniform for the girls is one of the ugliest school uniforms I think I've seen in all of anime

Like, how is that even a school uniform? It looks like the undine uniforms from Aria + a purple flamenco dress or something.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:: Diamond Is Unbreakable - 22

Well that was a fantastic episode, I wasn't expecting to feel
bad with Shigechi's death but the music and the dialogue really hit the heart strings and made even the worst JoJo character's death seem tragic.
The scene directly afterwards cluing in everyone about Kira was cool too, I'm really liking how this show has helped established a great cast of characters so far.

At the rate it's going this will end up being my anime of the year and possibly one of my favourites.

KIRA QUEEN 22

She's a Killer Queen
Gunpowder, gelatin
Dynamite with a laser beam
Guaranteed to blow your mind
Anytime

Thunderbolt Fantasy 08

i fucking love how they went out of their way to recruit a demon necromancer and an otherworldy assassin and then just abandon them to go to the big bads fort lmao

Alderamin episode 8

They were finally mobilised to participate in the mountain war. I love the parts where Ikta is actually leading and commanding troops. The only thing i didn't like in this episode , is how all the high commanders in the military were portrayed like incompetent angry old men, to make our MC and his friend look good, was really not needed to go that far. The battle was great, but also brutal.
Poor Kanna :(
I swear every military anime does this. All military leaders are so incompetent that it is a wonder how their military has gotten this far in the first place and all this done to make the MC and friends look better.

Lautaro

I swear every military anime does this. All military leaders are so incompetent that it is a wonder how their military has gotten this far in the first place and all this done to make the MC and friends look better.

After being in a third world army for a year I can say that cartoonish incompetent officers are not that rare, also this is supposed to be a rear unit of a corrupt empire meant to brutalize the people not frontline combatants.

This Alderamin show is LN as fuck for certain things but I think it shows a lot of knowledge about warfare. For example, I was thinking that their guns must be like muskets because of the short range and suddenly they start talking about rifling, at least the writer knows his stuff.

Alderamin episode 8

Eh. Good end scene, yeah, some bitterness was needed, but the previous three mistakes in this episode made it have less weight in my mind.

1. Bad sense of time, distances, information, etc transmitted to the viewer. When there was a night attack it was confusing, but because of the wrong reasons, as I viewer it wasn't clear what was happening, where it was the attack, what are the dimensions of the camp, etc.
2. Again, incompetent cowards as superiors.
3. Deus ex Machina in the shape of new technology that only they have, and that is more than revolutionary. It wasn't an increase of for example 50% in effectiveness, but of 400% vs the older models. That's too big of a single leap. In real life even revolutionary technology needs incremental improvements over years, as it's polished up more and more.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 9

I'm still of the opinion that tightening up the action & the CG would make this a better received show. Once again, feels like the action was the weakest part while the general atmosphere carries everything in-between encounters. Jerome's CG model was kinda funny this epp as the face looked fairly simple.Not saying the 2D version was that much more detailed but something was definitely lost in translation.

Alderamin episode 8

Eh. Good end scene, yeah, some bitterness was needed, but the previous three mistakes in this episode made it have less weight in my mind.

1. Bad sense of time, distances, information, etc transmitted to the viewer. When there was a night attack it was confusing, but because of the wrong reasons, as I viewer it wasn't clear what was happening, where it was the attack, what are the dimensions of the camp, etc.
3. Deus ex Machina in the shape of new technology that only they have, and that is more than revolutionary. It wasn't an increase of for example 50% in effectiveness, but of 400% vs the older models. That's too big of a single leap. In real life even revolutionary technology needs incremental improvements over years, as it's polished up more and more.
The new technology they used was rifling, which is a real world thing that actually does improve the effective range by that much though
see the rifling section here http://www.thefirearms.guide/guns/early-firearm-history

Ascheroth

Alderamin episode 8

2) I kinda agree with the others that it makes sense in this context, given where they are stationed. That seems like the place you would dump all the useless old farts you have no use for on the frontlines. Although they probably didn't imagine that among them was one that was not only useless, but also insane.
3) That's not a Deus Ex machina. Anarai, his motives, and his genius have been repeadetly brought up from the beginning of the show, as well as Ikta being a student of his. You would think that Ikta being his student, being familiar with his motives and how he works, it would make sense that he's getting his hands on the new tech Anarai leaked before everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom