• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Code Geass ep.4

Kururugi, you idiot! He went through a that trouble to save your ass and you go back like your some kind of martyr? Wtf? Nice planning by our boy wonder to get him outta there too..

Get used to Suzaku being really dumb, and I mean REALLY REALLY dumb.

Gvitor

DTL was banned? You can't stay out of this place for a couple of hours and the comments about that are already 4 pages ago.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.5
Oh my, the new princess is here. You can already see the set-up with Suzaku and the princess then Lelouche and any one of his girls as rivals...

Aki-at

Macross Delta - 13

Well that was one hell of a beat down Windermere gave Chaos, now at this point I wouldn't see how it'd be even possible for the good guys to retaliate haha. Considering how the New United Government is happy at recklessly blowing things up, no wonder the Windermerian's see themselves as rightful heir to Protoculture.

Jarmel

Banned
ReZero-18 loop 2
xKzxZXO.jpg

don't laugh you fucker this ain't no game
So in some ways this episode breaks a lot of the fundamental rules of storytelling in that you're supposed to show and not tell. The second half are just two characters essentially monologuing to each other in a stage like fashion with dialogue where they directly express their emotions. It's in some aspects the worst way to use dialogue but it still works.
Yes I could get on the directorial staff for not being more creative with the visuals or even the camera angles (I mean what the hell is this angle supposed to represent) however the second half is still extremely strong. The reason being is that it becomes a voice actor tour de force where Yūsuke Kobayashi and Inori Minase try their damndest in laying everything out on the table. It's less about the visuals, despite some stuff near the end, and more about the audio and script. This definitely felt like the turning point of the arc, despite being six damn episodes in.
The second half was probably the most cathartic moment in the series and not in the ironic 'thank god this shit is done' way but rather Subaru finally reaching rock bottom and realizing the problem was himself. I don't want to say that it made Subaru likable, or even close to it, but it stemmed the bleeding in that he's openly stating his flaws and just dissecting himself for everybody to bear. It's kinda sad to see any man with zero self-esteem or worth and think of themselves as no better than trash. The worst sort of despair is of the self-loathing variety. Here he just rips away any veneer and highlights defects even I didn't necessarily pick up.
What makes this so poignant is that Rem doesn't dismiss his issues but rather says that she believes in her image of him, even if that image doesn't match with the reality. To an extent, it reminds me of Simon/Kamina with the notion of believing in somebody else's image of you if you can't believe in yourself. In some ways that's a heavier burden to carry. You may not be that person now, but you have to strive to be anyway even if it's impossible. Damn, this is probably one of the most poignant peptalks I've seen in years. The insert song with the piano and violin intro was also placed really well and works as a sort of cleansing piece. I also liked some of the smaller touches such as the the lighting in the last scenes was much brighter, as seen in the top image in this post, so as to convey the shadows being lifted from Subaru.
This was the sort of discussion Emilia should have had with Subaru which makes it bewildering that Rem is the one to give it. The reason being is that this is what you save for the main heroine, so as to both endear her to the audience as well as establish a real emotional link between the characters besides some love at first sight nonsense. This was the most emotional moment between two characters in the show and the writer doesn't even save this for the main couple? What the hell. It also highlights how completely insane it is that Subaru still claims to love Emilia, despite knowing virtually nothing about her and barely interacting with her. Here is a girl that pretty much saved your life and you dump her right after for a chick you barely know. Goddamn. I don't even know why they had to bring up Emilia anyway.
i cant fucking light novel writing hacks i cant

How does the best poster in this thread get banned while other people unironically talk about enjoying Prisma Illya?

Prisma Illya has triggered plenty of ban waves. Though I see that the latest episode hit a new low with an exploitative young child spanking scene so fuck that show.

ReZero-18 loop 2

So in some ways this episode breaks a lot of the fundamental rules of storytelling in that you're supposed to show and not tell. The second half are just two characters essentially monologuing to each other in a stage like fashion with dialogue where they directly express their emotions.t

I'm sorry but you're begging for this

NOU5Qxx.jpg

Cornbread78

Get used to Suzaku being really dumb, and I mean REALLY REALLY dumb.

I wonder if Kiritobread may end up binging Code Geass all through the night, heh heh heh

Nah, I'll take my time with it.

In other news, Moribito is fucking Great! Looks like Last Exile will be the next "Let's Watch" is anyone going to jump in next week?

Synopsis:
In the world of Prester, flight is the dominant mode of transportation, made possible by Claudia Fluid: a liquidized form of the crystals that are produced on the planet. An organization known solely as "the Guild" has absolute authority over the skies, with a monopoly on the engines that make use of this fluid. Moreover, as ecological disasters destabilize the warring countries of Anatoray and Disith, the Guild also arbitrates in the disputes between the two. Caught in the middle of the conflict are Sky Couriers, piloting small, two-person vanships that fly freely through the sky. Last Exile follows the adventures of two teenagers who dream of surpassing their parents: Claus Valca, son of a famous vanship pilot, and Lavie Head, Claus' best friend and navigator. Their job as couriers entails passing through an air current called the Grand Stream that separates the hostile nations, which even standard airships struggle to survive. However, when they take on a high-rated delivery to bring an orphan girl named Alvis Hamilton to the battleship Silvana, they get dragged into a much greater conflict that pits them against the might of the Guild

Any other last minute ideas?

sonicmj1

I caught up on Mob Psycho 100. A good decision. Mob was kind of hard to relate to as first but I've turned around on the character. A good rendition of the "I have to hold back so I don't go crazy" archetype. Seeing what he struggles with and what happens to other espers makes his internal struggles believable. Also blah blah animation is amazing blah blah. In terms of pure entertainment, One Punch Man still reigns supreme for me but now I better understand why people like this IP, some more than OPM. I'm also glad the "plot" is finally kicking in and it seems there is a lot of manga material to adapt even if this season ends soon so at least we don't have another situation where season 2 of the anime might be years away ala OPM.

I can understand feeling that way. While you probably already understand this, I'm gonna lay out my preference, because this thread could certainly use more people making the case for Mob Psycho 100.

There are two basic reasons I think it's a great deal better than One Punch Man.

One is the sense of real emotional stakes. I mean, they're two very different stories, so maybe you could consider this a matter of personal preference. One Punch Man is an escalating series of bigger bad guys showing up to get built up and then shut down by our already-perfectly-unstoppable hero, a comic sendup of all these shows about trying to be the strongest. It's good at what it does, but if it's tearing down the foundation of the genre, Mob Psycho examines how you build up what's left.

Mob is, very intentionally, not a typical protagonist. He doesn't want to be the greatest psychic. He doesn't have big dreams. He just wants to impress his crush by doing something he's completely ill-suited for. Despite his talents, the primary driver of conflict isn't a need to prove himself to others: he has to overcome his own fear and disgust with himself. Those insecurities are very real, very relatable, and touch the whole teenage cast. Everyone's looking for their own identity.

That emotional core provides a really solid foundation for everything that happens. The show may have seemed a little aimless at first, but especially now that it's clear what Mob faces, and how he tries to keep doing the right thing even at the worst times, he's easy to root for.

And it's not just a well-written show, it's also well presented. Pretty much every single segment of this show is lavished with attention. The action draws all the headlines (and deservedly so), but all the "downtime" gets presented with just as much creativity and visual flair. So much gets communicated through what we see, rather than what we hear. Like in recent weeks, the student council president's own inferiority complex, or Ritsu's growing guilt and frustration with himself. Every element of the adaptation matters, so instead of doing the obvious, Bones has been looking for creative artistic methods that work.

So far for me, this is sitting with stuff like Ping Pong or Flowers of Evil in terms of shows that get pretty much everything right, and as a result stand above their contemporaries.

Barakamon 1

This was beautiful, charming, full of cuteness, funny and oh so enjoyable...wow!

The dub is also super good. Handa's VA fit super well but this episode hightlight was the old man. I could barely understand what he was saying, but it made me laugh so #1.

Aki-at

In other news, Moribito is fucking Great! Looks like Last Exile will be the next "Let's Watch" is anyone going to jump in next week?

Synopsis:

Any other last minute ideas?

Trigun!

In all honesty I've heard loads of good things about this show and always wanted to check it out but I'm not sure I'm going to have the time to start another "Let's Watch" anytime this month, bummer.

Clov

I know I've been avoiding Sentai's BD of Gatchaman Crowds since it doesn't include the director's cut of the last episode, but recently I've been considering picking it up. Their BD of Insight seems like it will include episode 0, which means that that season will at least be complete. Naturally I want to pick up that set, but... it won't feel right if I don't have the first season as well.

I've held off buying this for two years already, and there's no indication of Sentai releasing that missing ending. Has enough been enough at this point?

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.6
Pizza Hut yet again, that pizza slut! Stupid cat almost screwed him over good, lol. I still don't know what the green haired girl's conditions are either.. oh and such a cute imouto with those kisses on the boys cheeks. The death flags for her just keep mounting though!

Gvitor

Daiya no Ace 14-19

Holy shit, Sawamura isn't the only dumb one, Furuya is pretty stupid as well. Seriously, who wrote this needs to give more credit to the newcomers. They're first-years, not 10-yr olds. Hell, 10-yr olds are probably more mature and knowledgeable than these two. They're still dumbfounded at every different pitch they see and they can only throw one, maybe two different pitches. While that is probably realistic enough, they should at least know that there are different types, as to avoid being flabbergasted every goddamn time someone does something fairly common.

At least Furuya can shrug it off as comedy, whereas Sawamura is just downright annoying.

In one episode Eijun at least acknowledges that he doesn't know shit and that he needs to get better. I guess that is somewhat progressive of him, but in the next episode he just shits the bed while talking with the rival pitcher.

And I need to retroactively fix something I said last time - this show needs to explain a bit more. At first I was able to understand the matches just fine with by barebones knowledge of the sport, but now there are a bunch of plays that could use a little explanation. Not anything in Baby Steps' level, mind you, but still. I hope in the actual full-fledged games they expand on it a little.

Team Tanba.

JulianImp

I love reading Jarmel's impression of just any any anime he's watching.

I only wish I could analyze stuff like that but tend to ramble on for too long instead, resulting in walls of text that don't actually say all that much in the end. Oh, and screencaps certainly help readability as well, so I might try that out sometime later.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.7

Oh Lelouch, you fucked this one up buddy. Cornelia got your number in this battle of whits. Look at all tjise innocent people that just got killed because of your ignorance and you had to be saved by green haired girl, lol.

Taruranto

Prisma Illya has triggered plenty of ban waves. Though I see that the latest episode hit a new low with an exploitative young child spanking scene so fuck that show.

I still can't believe we had a thread on the gaming side with people encouraging and recommending it unironically.

I love my vita. I got steins gate and tales R from the previous sale downloaded and ready to play but I think I'm gonna wait until December to start them.

Cornbread78

I love my vita. I got steins gate and tales R from the previous sale downloaded and ready to play but I think I'm gonna wait until December to start them.

Yeah, there have been sone pretty good sales on PSN lately and Amnesia is free next month on PS+ as well, so hood stuff all thr way around.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 22

msiGcgl.png

This mission of opening a fold gate from a specific planet, in this case Alfheim, in order to get to Windermere itself is approaching the point of no return and gunning towards the ending. It kind of reminded me of Outlaw Star when the crew were about to enter the Leyline, thus you could feel the tension of the Delta Platoon and Walkure to activate the structure to open the jump point without getting killed. It does kind of feel like a one way ticket to free the entire sector from Windermere's control. I'm hoping they stick the landing with the remaining episodes.

XwMHvnP.png

It felt so good seeing Freyja get bitchslapped so she could stop being hesitant and just believe in everyone around her who believes in her. Right now Mirage is doing more lately to help Hayate and Freyja out and has been stepping up significantly. Great for her to keep it together.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 09

God, someone should take a pie and shove all of it down Kurokiba's throat please. Holy shit, he needs to shut the fuck up. He better suffer the most humiliating defeat ever, like way worse than Mimisaka's defeat for his super arrogant high horse dumb nonsense. It's clear and obvious he does not deserve to be a winner.

nr7VKL1.png

Hey, Hayama has Archer's swords, hahaha. I was kind of irked at his attitude also, but I let him pass because soon enough he took Kurokiba's one trick pony insult and turned it around straight back at his dumbass face. I think that Hayama should've insulted him more with his capabilities and proven skill again.

Though it was predictable, Soma waited until the last possible second to pull out his 2nd trump card to get the judges and Kurokiba's attention. I kind of want this payoff at the highest level so bad, lol

Starship Operators 01

So I'm going to have to suspend my disbelief about a lot of things for this.

A single class of trainees choosing to resist when their entire world has already surrendered? Sure, that's a typical anime thing. They choose to fight back an entire nation with a single ship? Well, they're planning to just do guerrilla stuff, probably. In order to get funding for their ship and supplies, they offer to let the galactic news network broadcast their resistance as a reality TV show? Wait a minute. And then they choose to broadcast live during their first battle, straight from the bridge where they are openly discussing tactics? Come the fuck on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom