• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.21
Pretty fun elisode with a
2 yeae time skip. They are in HS now and Mayuri is now an exorcist as well.
You can tell these are anune original episodes since the tone is completely different from previous episodes. That may be just because it's a new arc and timeline, but it feels different from before. I'm also not sure what they are doongvwith this new litte character they introduced.. Stull good stuff either way.

After War Gundam X 35-39

Wow what a ride! I enjoyed every moment of it.
gundamkitscollectionSS001.jpg
The positive
+the great characters
+a very likeable MC duo(Garrod and Tiffa)
+Great animation
+Awesome looking Mechas All those gundams :O
+2 Glorious openings
+Even if rushed a little the ending is satisfying
+You see characters develop throughout the entire show
+Garrod's personnality
+the Newtype conflict was really well executed and we could get how each side reasoning worked.
+I really liked the characters

The negative
-The Frost brothers were a little extreme and were getting a little on my nerves at the end. Their goal also seemed a little shallow.
-No real standouts OST during the show.
-A little rushed ending
-The endings

Overall, I greatly enjoyed it and knowing it's lack of popularity caused it to end early makes me really sad. People have terrible tastes.

Gundam X was the first Gundam I ever watched. And also consequently the first one I didn't finish because of how boring it was with the way the plot for the entire first half of the show was so aimless.

I tried to like it with its great mecha designs but I just couldn't bring myself to care about anything going on. It's a shame, since Garrod and Jamil were pretty good.

Jarmel

Banned
ReZero-16

Subaru is the worst thing about this show by far. He's such a shitty protagonist that it's legit infuriating to watch. That said, the rest of the cast isn't exactly picking up slack either.

My issue with this comparison is that Rei's character was that she had a monotone personality for most of the series and that was something that Evangelion built on for character development. By comparison, Rem regressed significantly in the third arc because they literally erased her character after the Second Arc and she was pretty much fine in that second arc, in fact I really wanted to see where that character development took Rem's character outside her relationship to Subaru and her Sister, but that never happens. Quite the disappointment.
Well she did say that her time was started over after Subaru saved her so I think it is reasonable to see how her character has changed so much after the second arc. Also, regarding to her relationship with other characters, since she was supposed to stick with Subaru all the time for reasons, her interaction with those characters was very limited and minimal. Now that she is finally separated from Subaru, I hope we can see how her character will develop on her own.

SuperSah

Banned
Okay so I've just watched the first two episodes of TTGL. So far, I'm really liking the characters Kamina and Simon. They've already showed plenty of charm and character and Yoko seems rather cool.

I do see a lot of KlK like elements which is helping me to enjoy it more, but yeah so far it's pretty good. It's too early to give much of an opinion but it has a ton of potential if it plays its cards right - I notice an ongoing theme of friendship, companionship and death, so we'll see how that develops.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Okay so I've just watched the first two episodes of TTGL. So far, I'm really liking the characters Kamina and Simon. They've already showed plenty of charm and character and Yoko seems rather cool.

I do see a lot of KlK like elements which is helping me to enjoy it more, but yeah so far it's pretty good. It's too early to give much of an opinion but it has a ton of potential if it plays its cards right - I notice an ongoing theme of friendship, companionship and death, so we'll see how that develops.
Skip episode 4 and its will be inherintly better than KlK.

Kamina and Simon's friendship early on in the show was great. I always love big bro little bro partnerships in the shows I watch.

Skip episode 4 and its will be inherintly better than KlK.

As bad as I think episode 4 is, it's still necessary to watch due to the introduction of a new character, so don't do this.

T-Rex.

Banned
DiU (I can't even remember how many episodes)

My only gripe is that it's kind of aimless in that there's no goal they're working towards really. In the others there was always that sense of adventure: stopping Dio, Stonebrehs, Dio, but in this season there's none of that (after the arrow bit) and I loved that about the other seasons. Oh well, everything else is ridiculously good anyway and I love the scenes where Koichi is paired with Rohan.

I absolutely love the OP for the second season. As a matter of fact it may be one of my favourite OPs ever. Sounds and looks great.
Same here. I even went full weeb and bought the CD.

Jarmel

Banned
ReZero-17
This has to be commentary on white knighting right? When your main character is about on the same level as most Red Pill Redditors, I'm not sure you can bring them back from that. Kinda ballsy to have your main character be some GamerGate keyboard warrior and ask the audience to root for them.
This is legit emotional abuse. I think I've seen villains be less despicable than this dude. He's a flat out disgusting human being, so this arc has been infuriating to watch.

ReZero-17

This has to be commentary on white knighting right? When your main character is about on the same level as most Red Pill Redditors, I'm not sure you can bring them back from that. Kinda ballsy to have your main character be some GamerGate keyboard warrior and ask the audience to root for them.

This is legit emotional abuse. I think I've seen villains be less despicable than this dude. He's a flat out disgusting human being, so this arc has been infuriating to watch.
To be honest it's a bit refreshing having a scummy MC who used to mean well. I'm tired of the white knight. Gimme shitty people for a while.

Yep, that stretch of ReZero was unbearable to watch. And there really isn't much of a payoff for it, the protagonist just reverts to being a stock self-insert who everyone ends up praising for his heroic actions.

Gundam X was the first Gundam I ever watched. And also consequently the first one I didn't finish because of how boring it was with the way the plot for the entire first half of the show was so aimless.

I tried to like it with its great mecha designs but I just couldn't bring myself to care about anything going on. It's a shame, since Garrod and Jamil were pretty good.

That's a shame, I do think it's one of the better Gundam show I watched. Also what do you mean by aimless? Since they follow a pretty specific goal at the start and that goal helps develop Tiffa and Garrod characters. I mean that it fits pretty well for a postwar destroyed world.

Jarmel

Banned
Waaaat, I didn't get any rapey vibes. You talking about the latest episode you're on?

He's constantly blaming other people, primarily females, for his own shortcomings and suggests abducting Emilia if she didn't go along with his plan. Instead of talking and using basic social skills, he repeatedly resorts to force or yelling to get what he wants. Not that the show would really go down that path because that would probably kill the franchise cold, but I could very easily see him snapping and hitting one of the females out of rage (in fact episode 16 was implying he was close to doing that) or worse.

ReZero-17

It must be hard for him to say things properly when his mind was broken af.

Qurupeke

ReZero-17

Shocking News: Subaru sucks.

Honestly, I get what the show wanted to do with Subaru in this arc, but he turned rather fast from mediocre protagonist to worse than trash. The scene you point out was the final straw, I just can't like him anymore, no matter how hard the show tries to redeem him.

He's constantly blaming other people, primarily females, for his own shortcomings and suggests abducting Emilia if she didn't go along with his plan. Instead of talking and using basic social skills, he repeatedly resorts to force or yelling to get what he wants. Not that the show would really go down that path because that would probably kill the franchise cold, but I could very easily see him snapping and hitting one of the females out of rage (in fact episode 16 was implying he was close to doing that) or worse.
That's not rapey that's domestic violence. Which I see what you mean, but the dude got killed by a
crazy ass monster a cycle ago and I mean who wouldn't be a bit desperate after knowing that you have to face that thing, or having to face a group of crazy witch cultists and being a weak mofo like Subaru. It's daunting. Of course he won't be able to express himself as well, I mean he tried to tell the truth and look what happened.

Thud

DiU (I can't even remember how many episodes)

My only gripe is that it's kind of aimless in that there's no goal they're working towards really. In the others there was always that sense of adventure: stopping Dio, Stonebrehs, Dio, but in this season there's none of that (after the arrow bit) and I loved that about the other seasons. Oh well, everything else is ridiculously good anyway and I love the scenes where Koichi is paired with Rohan.

People got their plot last week (episode 22). And it will only get better from now on.

Line_HTX

Asuna, probably.

Then again, there was that one episode preview where Emilia turned into Megumin because seiyu joke, LOL

Jarmel

Banned
That's not rapey that's domestic violence. Which I see what you mean, but the dude got killed by a
crazy ass monster a cycle ago and I mean who wouldn't be a bit desperate after knowing that you have to face that thing, or having to face a group of crazy witch cultists and being a weak mofo like Subaru. It's daunting. Of course he won't be able to express himself as well, I mean he tried to tell the truth and look what happened.

No, I think he's expressing his emotions quite well.
He's not exactly internalizing his issues. The show repeatedly demonstrates the self-inflating ego he has, so this isn't an issue of him using the wrong words to describe his feelings or opinions. It's rather that he has basic self-confidence issues, probably stemming before the show starts, and his true personality leaks out when under pressure.

Qurupeke

So if Rem supposedly lacks character, what does that make Emilia then ?

I won't argue that she is in a much better situation, she has barely changed since her introductory arc, though I really liked her there. However, she scarcely has any important scenes and any character development. For a "main heroine", she really had a diminished role so far. I don't really support that, but I suppose it has to do with the whole Satella mystery, so I hope there will be a payoff later.

On the other hand, Rem had plenty of screen time, but if you read the previous pages, for many people her character has regressed since her introduction. Her whole personality can be summarized as "I love Subaru" as of arc 3. Maybe some people can ignore that pet state of her because she's a cute waifu maid, but this definitely doesn't count as progress...

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.4

Kururugi, you idiot! He went through a that trouble to save your ass and you go back like your some kind of martyr? Wtf? Nice planning by our boy wonder to get him outta there too..

ReZero-18

I thought this was probably the best episode in the series and was long overdue. I was actually tearing up near the end but then

Hopefully the White Whale bites his dick off.

There has been speculation around these parts that makes sense:
this whole attraction for her could be due to her being related to the Witch.
Which, and here Jarmel you may not want to read, (spoilers from last week's episode):
seemed to kinda have been touched on when he was facing Betelgeuse? Like when he said that that every archbishop loves the Witch?
Did anyone else that is up to date book this last bit, or was it just me falling for what could very well be
a red herring, or nothing at all
?

ReZero-18

I thought this was probably the best episode in the series and was long overdue. I was actually tearing up near the end but then

giphy.gif

Hopefully the White Whale bites his dick off.
Lol I was waiting for this reaction, basically my reaction too

Which, and here Jarmel you may not want to read, (spoilers from last week's episode):
seemed to kinda have been touched on when he was facing Betelgeuse? Like when he said that that every archbishop loves the Witch?
Yeah hopefully it's because of that. There's no reason for him to love Emi like that.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Did anyone else that is up to date book this last bit, or was it just me falling for what could very well be
a red herring, or nothing at all
?

I'm still wondering if Speculation Spoilers
he's the Archbishop of Pride or something else entirely. I figure Subaru is the most loved by Satella, but why wouldn't he be the Archbishop of Envy or something? I wonder if taking Geuse's bible is enough to meet the requirement of receiving it, if he is supposed to get one later of his own, or if he's never supposed to get one of his own because he is something else entirely.

Crocodile

I caught up on Mob Psycho 100. A good decision. Mob was kind of hard to relate to as first but I've turned around on the character. A good rendition of the "I have to hold back so I don't go crazy" archetype. Seeing what he struggles with and what happens to other espers makes his internal struggles believable. Also blah blah animation is amazing blah blah. In terms of pure entertainment, One Punch Man still reigns supreme for me but now I better understand why people like this IP, some more than OPM. I'm also glad the "plot" is finally kicking in and it seems there is a lot of manga material to adapt even if this season ends soon so at least we don't have another situation where season 2 of the anime might be years away ala OPM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom