• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Is Naruto out of filler now?!

Yes.

Though there were a few lengthy filler sequences to stretch out some (all ? Oo) episodes.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 06

Otherwise it also continues to impress me. It's the kind of show that's probably primarily targeted at kids but it deals with its themes so maturely that it's for everyone really. With its 50 episodes I was expecting fairly laid back slice of life to dominate for a long while but a lot has already happened, especially in this episode, and I'm wondering how exactly this is going to continue.

I think I noticed the existence of this thing in the vicinity of my Moribito watch but yeah, the poster, length and the premise scared me off. Eager to hear more about it.

BluWacky

It will be interesting to see how this is "anime-ised". I don't mean big uguu eyes etc., but it's a story primarily about, well, writing a dictionary - if you'll excuse the word play, will it be prosaic or poetic in terms of how it handles its visuals? We seem to have a bit of a mix in the trailer - probably the right way forward - but it's probably too early to judge.

I do find the noitaminA trailer drip feed infuriating. It hooks me every time they do it because I get excited about Thursdays revealing more about upcoming shows, but they a little bit more of almost nothing each week.

With that said, when we get round to trailers for the new Saekano season in February or whenever they start happening, I will change my tune...

It will be interesting to see how this is "anime-ised". I don't mean big uguu eyes etc., but it's a story primarily about, well, writing a dictionary - if you'll excuse the word play, will it be prosaic or poetic in terms of how it handles its visuals? We seem to have a bit of a mix in the trailer - probably the right way forward - but it's probably too early to judge.

I do find the noitaminA trailer drip feed infuriating. It hooks me every time they do it because I get excited about Thursdays revealing more about upcoming shows, but they a little bit more of almost nothing each week.

With that said, when we get round to trailers for the new Saekano season in February or whenever they start happening, I will change my tune...

This trailer has a substantial amount of footage, so I wouldn't really call it almost nothing.

phaze

Cool, I'll try to skim through it then. I just wanna see that last fight. Hopefully the animation is good. The guy sensei fight was a bit disappointing

The fight that just ended was really badly done but Pierrot is (hopefully) more or less bringing their A game for the last episodes from what can be discerned.

The fight that just ended was really badly done but Pierrot is (hopefully) more or less bringing their A game for the last episodes from what can be discerned.
Ah man, I thought that was gonna happen. Man they put in all these fillers but can't put in decent animation into the scenes that matter :/ oh well, we can only hope the last fight is too quality.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battery The Animation Episode 8:

Okay, I think things may of happened in this episode but I was so bored I legit fell asleep at one point.

I think I noticed the existence of this thing in the vicinity of my Moribito watch but yeah, the poster length and the premise scared me off. Eager to hear more about it.

Your Moribito watch? Omedeto!

Don't click on the spoilers for this next Kemono episode btw.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 07

Well, after happily listening to the fairly upbeat sounding (dunno about lyrics) OP song every episode I sure as hell didn't expect this kind of OP-insert towards the devastating end of this episode. Obviously intentional dissonance and it kinda works, though not perfectly. And yeh, while it might still be a show primarily targeted at kids, it's one of those ruthless ones. Should best be watched with parents only and even then just if you think your kids are mature and stable enough to witness something as cruel as this death method.

Something I'm not fond of are those two stupid strays who's behavior I can deal with but their design sticks out as too ugly. They hurt this episodes scenes rather then improving them, too. Hope they won't get to play a bigger role further ahead.

I'm personally also not a fan of frequent flashbacks to recent important dialogue. But at least it's fairly well done and honestly, for kids this would be the right thing to do. So I can't really complain when I'm just not that target audience.

phaze

Ah man, I thought that was gonna happen. Man they put in all these fillers but can't put in decent animation into the scenes that matter :/ oh well, we can only hope the last fight is too quality.

Now I feel I've done Pierrot disservice lol. To be fair to them, there was post last bout of filler, like one really well done episode and one with a number of great scenes. It's just that the very climax of the fight was horrid.

Witchcraft Works 5

The digital postprocessing and CG work here is really not to my tastes, particularly in the battle scene this episode, but the show is funny enough that I'm willing to give that a pass. Some of the cuts are absurdly fast, especially the post-credits scene which might be the fastest a supposedly major confrontation has ever ended. I also love that Takamiya doesn't hesitate to gouge out his eyes to save Kagari - but a kiss? That's going too far!

Danganronpa Despair 08

Alright. I think its safe to say that the production on this show is falling apart. Between the delays for the episodes because Funi isn't receiving the materials and the way the show looks itself its not hidden. This being Lerche adapting a game directed by Kishi it shouldn't surprise anyone, and its not like anyone expected this DR conclusion to be some great looking show because everyone just cares about the story and dialogue.

Even with the two episodes a week schedule the show has managed to look better then Persona 4 or the Danganronpa 1 anime, just by value of having at least a smidgen of passion put into it. I still think the idea behind DR3 to have two episodes a week that tie into each other is really awesome, but Lerche is a mediocre studio to begin with so it was always going to fall apart. Oh well.

Qurupeke

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 1-3
wo1VZH3.png
LlcmJ3a.png
dT1fM3a.png
Haha, it's hilarious. First of all, Illya. Her mother died, her father abandoned her and she turns out to be as sadistic as Kirei. And I can't believe it's only been 10 years since the last war, she barely looks any older. Then, there's Sakura. Haha, oh my god. I couldn't believe this is the same Sakura. She becomes a caring and easily embarassed kohai to her dense senpai, while she acts as a housewife on her free time. Kariya fucking died for this. lol Gilgamesh's new look is also atrocious and I certainly hope he hasn't turned to a typical playboy character.

The fight was kind of cool, but this Berserker is just power so far. The previous one had some of the most unique fights, so I certainly hope it will manage to live up to that. And hey, this time the Archer uses a bow.

Qurupeke

Gilgamesh was super lame compared to his Fate/Zero version. Same with Kirei.

I found Kirei's reintroduction to be okay, but I'm sure he'll just be typical mastermind villain in this, so I'll agree sooner or later with your statement. The fact we got to see him getting corrupted and slowly reveal his true personality is what made him a really cool character in F/Z

Eumi

Hopefully theres more to it then that. And hopefully the more isn't Chiaki dying and everyone being sad.
There won't be. If the how of the DR2 cast was important it would have been explained in DR2, and if this show was about that characters like Nekomaru and Akane would have had more than about 3 lines by now.

pbayne

Kingsglaive Final Fantasy Eng Dub

First F
FUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK
K. Ok.

-Why God, dear why is this two hours long?
-There. Are. So. Many. Unnecessary. Camera. Cuts. Like jesus guys you can hold on a shot for more than five seconds right.
-They must have recorded the dub actors on the toilet. They sound like they couldn’t give a flying fuck. The heavy set dude is the worst-whether the scene requires him to be mad, sad, glad or anything in-between-his delivery is always a flat monotone. I can almost imagine every VA laughing after every take.

-The first 20 minutes and the last 20 is some of the most excessive bullshit action ive seen since the last Michael Bay movie ive seen. I had no idea what was happening at any given moment or given any reason to care about any character in said moment.
-OMG Luna is bad. She makes dumb decision after dumb decision. Is she still a big part in the game? She is Lightning 2.0 waiting to happen.
-Jesus the editing and transition between scenes is so abrupt and nonsensical. My favourite scene of this is the car chase where MC dude falls ten stories (miracously survives) and Luna falls on the roof of a building. OK. Then in the fucking next scene MC dude is above her somehow-how how how?

-The dialogue has a lot of shades of Phantom Menace, blah blah treaty blah blah negotiations zzzzzzzz. All told in short lifeless bursts.
-80 minutes into the film and in the middle of an action scene is a good time to impart character backstory right?
-The uncanny valley effect. Ill ruin this movie for anyone, watch how stiff every person’s facial expressions are. I felt like I was looking at mannequins. Apart from a few scenes everyone looks so lifeless. Worst is the big fight with wait was that Ultros, anyways the squid thing. Look at Luna’s face in that scene, she hasn’t a care or fear in the world, no fucks given.

+ I guess I like how out of place the armour guy and the dude with the wing thing were. Sure they were dumb but jesus they reminded me of Final Fantasy characters and at least they had a bit of energy about them.

Overall: Made Spirits Within look pretty decent. One of the most under-rated sci-fi movies of our generation.

Voice Actress Risa Taneda Goes on Hiatus for Medical Treatment

God, I hope she makes a full recovery. She is way too talented to be held back from sickness. I wonder if she finished the current season's work.

Actually, how long in advance do seiyus put their voices onto anime before it makes it on air?

Damn.

Guess she finished this seasons stuff before announcing this, but won't be in the stuff she was supposed to do next season.

JulianImp

There won't be. If the how of the DR2 cast was important it would have been explained in DR2, and if this show was about that characters like Nekomaru and Akane would have had more than about 3 lines by now.

This. I'm really sad for the anime, because it isn't actually doing anything interesting at all, neither in the past or future arcs.

The 77th class had no development so far outside of a couple gags that called back to their one-note character traits, and the only ones somewhat exempt from that have been Nagito (the lucky bastard, of course), the impostor Mitarai (which was pretty nice, especially in the latest episode), Peko/Kuzuryu (only a bit, though) and Chiaki (cheesy romance setting, meh).

Like I said before, it's sad that the writing appears to be doing nothing but just setting up the events we all know happened in a way that's both predictable and boring. It's funny since it's almost like things were better off when we didn't know the specifics and what had happened in there was left to our imagination, rather than this bunch of subpar plot developments...

Verelios

I actually liked Spirits Within when I was a kid.
I'm so sorry.

91 days Episode 6-7

Damn Avilio...that's cold, not to mention trying to parallel what happened between him and his brother years ago with Fratte. I think I can see where this is going but his friend has me sending out alarm bells, guy just has an untrustworthy air.

I have never seen such a massive multimedia push and such clamor for them with FF XV. To an extent there's The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens but those didn't have multiple other media dedicated to it pre-release. Its frankly insane, I'm so curious to see how the game is received/sells (even tho it looks pretty bad)

pbayne

Oh jeez another thing i actually liked about Kingsglaive. It brought back the mullet. That's a real 80s wrassler look.

I actually liked Spirits Within when I was a kid.

Lol me too, I knew no better. I was kicking my feet the whole time whining "but where's Squall and Cloud though"

Jarmel

Banned
I have never seen such a massive multimedia push and such clamor for them with FF XV. To an extent there's The Phantom Menace and The Force Awakens but those didn't have multiple other media dedicated to it pre-release. Its frankly insane, I'm so curious to see how the game is received/sells (even tho it looks pretty bad)

Halo: Reach I guess as there was the anime, live action stuff, sculpture, and usual books/comics.

Clov

All that matters about DR3 is that Ryota makes it out okay. I don't know what I'll do if I lose another one of my favorites.
Probably cry and annoy the Spike Chunsoft EN Twitter.

Jarmel

Banned
Also this marketing push for FFXV is going to be insignificant compared to the FFVII Remake push. That's going to be on billboards in Time Square.

Thud

The manga is one of the best series I've read. It's incredible. I've never read/watched Honey and Clover, but it's by the same author.

Cool. I like to read this rather than watch it, just like Honey & Clover.

It's one of my favorite mangas, you should definitely give it a go at one point. I'm also more open minded when it comes to manga. Easier to pick up and power through a volume lol.

Fate/Stay Night Kirei's personality and dialogue is FAR better than Fate/Zero's younger version. Problem is he shows better in the Fate route and Heaven's Feel than UBW route.

jgminto

It's also a multimedia push where every limb seems to be terrible. The anime was SMT adaptation-tier dreck from what I saw and Kingsglaive seems to be a critical flop so far.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.8
hpmi6c.gif

I din't think he can even believe he is an "agent of justice" now, but it was super nice of him not yo off the princess. I guess she fits the mold for him, lol.

I don't think the game is going to "bomb", and I also don't think the game is going to be less than good. As much as people talk shit, most are still going to buy it anyway. Game has 10 years of hype behind it, and everyone is going to run out and get it just like The Last Guardian, regardless of how they look. What remains to be seen is how the critics rate it. It will have positive scores, but will it get the shiny 9s that everyone loves to see? And is it going to live up to the hype of what is for many, half of their life waiting for this thing to be out? (spoilers: it won't even if it's good)

cj_iwakura

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 1-3

Haha, it's hilarious. First of all, Illya. Her mother died, her father abandoned her and she turns out to be as sadistic as Kirei. And I can't believe it's only been 10 years since the last war, she barely looks any older. Then, there's Sakura. Haha, oh my god. I couldn't believe this is the same Sakura. She becomes a caring and easily embarassed kohai to her dense senpai, while she acts as a housewife on her free time. Kariya fucking died for this. lol Gilgamesh's new look is also atrocious and I certainly hope he hasn't turned to a typical playboy character.

The fight was kind of cool, but this Berserker is just power so far. The previous one had some of the most unique fights, so I certainly hope it will manage to live up to that. And hey, this time the Archer uses a bow.

Sakura:
You won't get a payoff in this arc. Heaven's Feel, on the other hand...

Rest assured, it's the same girl.

And keep in mind, Illya is
a homunculus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom