• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy
Watched it on local cinema
My impression
- CG looks sweet but the fighting choreography and camera work during action scene is hard to follow.
- I like the acting and character design, Nyx is your regular cool character. Not much depth, but he is a fun character to watch.
- Luna is just there, but the last part
where she part with libertus made me chuckle. She said she parted with great warrior when it's really about Libertus being a fugitive
- Does it work as a stand alone film? Well, not really. It's a supplementary movie to familiarize the audience with ffxv setting. Then there's that tease after the credit...
- OST are awesome btw. 10 years in the making, at least i know i won't be dissapointed with the music.

Cornbread78

Nothing like reading some Re: Zero 18 reactions in the morning.

Lol. At least it just wasn't me that wanted to castrate Subaru after that.

oh man, I laughed at this

Vita fan here but I'm mostly playing on 3DS these days. I lent my Vita to my bro, want to play Risk of Rain as soon as I get it back. Cold Steel soon!

Sounds like she sticks around then? Does she get super powers or something?

Cornbread78

hehe it's not all black and white where you expect it to be in CG and where you least expect it, it's all black and white

uggh, blurred lines. I guess I'll find out in due time and hopefully it all makes sense.

I at least get all the Pizza Hut comments about the show now after 7 episodes. Might have to grab some of that meaty marinara pasta for dinner soon.

John Blade

In other news, Moribito is fucking Great! Looks like Last Exile will be the next "Let's Watch" is anyone going to jump in next week

Well...I do hope you like the show. I guess one day I would go watch it when I still have time to watch any anime. So much stuff need to get done before I can go watch another anime show.

Also, hope you like Last Exile. A very good show when I watch it last year. I think you might like the show if you can go through the last half of the show. Don't watch season 2 if you don't want to ruin this franchise.

Given that Funimations twitter has already said that the Despair Arc episode won't be on time today due to late delivery of materials from Japan, I'm going to say "No".

Well there it is. I think it's safe to assume that this is going to keep happening until the very end at this point. This is what, the 3rd week in a row in which both shows are delayed?

DiGiKerot

This years Scotland Loves Anime line-ups are being announced in 75 minutes. Not entirely sure what to expect this year beyond probably Girls und Panzer and the new Shinkai movie (probably in Edinburgh only, given it's in competition at the London Film Festival the Glasgow weekend, which I guess is notable news in itself). A Kizu double-bill would be nice, especially since they've already been subbed for the US screenings, but I suspect A Silent Voice screening might be a bit much to ask for...

This years Scotland Loves Anime line-ups are being announced in 75 minutes. Not entirely sure what to expect this year beyond probably Girls und Panzer and the new Shinkai movie (probably in Edinburgh only, given it's in competition at the London Film Festival the Glasgow weekend, which I guess is notable news in itself). A Kizu double-bill would be nice, especially since they've already been subbed for the US screenings, but I suspect A Silent Voice screening might be a bit much to ask for...

It's a little before the Japanese release date, but In This Corner of the World is also a possibility.

Man I can't wait for Fall.

CrPnpQiUIAAyYkr.jpg:large

With this and Flip Flappers, I think it's gonna be a fun season.

The composer also worked on the OSTs for some Final Fantasy games like X and XIII, so I'm hoping we hear some better tracks in the show.

The music in the PVs wasn't Masashi Hamauzu's work; it was an arrangement by one of the composers commissioned to write arrangements for the music of one of the featured composers. Hamauzu is writing the original soundtrack music while a different arranger is assigned to each composer.

The music in the PVs wasn't Masashi Hamauzu's work; it was an arrangement by one of the composers commissioned to write arrangements for the music of one of the featured composers. Hamauzu is writing the original soundtrack music while a different arranger is assigned to each composer.

Ah, that's good to know.

DiGiKerot

What does that mean? BD version?

They stopped the broadcast so they could improve the quality of it. They're presumably restarting the broadcast from the first episode, so Funi will be receiving the redone-for-TV versions of the episodes which have already aired as they are rebroadcast in Japan in the lead up to the new episodes.

blurr

whoa, before I get excited about Hamauzu's involvement, I'm a bit confused here over the terms "arranger" and "composer" - what is the difference exactly? I am not very versed with musical terms

Thoraxes

Man I can't wait for Fall.

With this and Flip Flappers, I think it's gonna be a fun season.

With music composed and supervised by Masashi Hamauzu no less. My thirst is insatiable for this.
whoa, before I get excited about Hamauzu's involvement, I'm a bit confused here over the terms "arranger" and "composer" - what is the difference exactly? I am not very versed with musical terms
Composition is an original work by a person (composer).

Arrangement is when you take an existing piece of music that is already composed and arrange (remix) it. This could be like taking a piano piece and writing it so that 10 trombones can play it. Or maybe you want to hear what Beethoven would be like if all his music was done on kazoos. Basically an arrangement is a rendition of an original work on a medium that it was not primarily created for. An arranger is the one who does this.

They are two vastly different skillsets. Not all arrangers are composers, and not all composers are arrangers.

With music composed and supervised by Masashi Hamauzu no less. My thirst is insatiable for this.

Composition is an original work by a person.

Arranger is when you take an existing piece of music that is already composed and remix it.
And today I learned something.

blurr

Composition is an original work by a person (composer).

Arrangement is when you take an existing piece of music that is already composed and arrange (remix) it. This could be like taking a piano piece and writing it so that 10 trombones can play it. Or maybe you want to hear what Beethoven would be like if all his music was done on kazoos. Basically an arrangement is a rendition of an original work on a medium that it was not primarily created for. An arranger is the one who does this.

They are two vastly different skillsets. Not all arrangers are composers, and not all composers are arrangers.

Ah, thanks for the insight.

Thoraxes

And today I learned something.

I updated my post a bit more!

Also don't mix arranger and composer with orchestrator. They are all three very different sets of skills that just have a little overlap. I would say an orchestrator has the most technically demanding job of the 3 by far.

An orchestrator takes music from a composer and puts the notes to actual sheet music for instrumentalists so a piece of music can be performed. Some composers will compose all of their music on a piano score or all on a computer, and it's the orchestrator's job to make it into sheet music so that it can be performed.

An orchestrator then takes those notes and tries to figure out how to make it physically possible for a real group of people to play on real instruments (and all their limitations and idiosyncrasies).

Some composers do their own orchestration, some do not. Masashi Hamauzu is someone who is gifted enough to excel at all three (composition, arrangement, orchestration).

That being said, most classically trained composers will learn all three skillsets during their education, but most only stick to one or two of those fields, if even. Many composers will orchestrate their own stuff because they know how they want something to sound. When you get into larger industries where it's more a process (like video games) you will more frequently see orchestrators being used (but they are sadly not always credited!). For instance, when I wrote my master's thesis it took me about 6 months to orchestrate my notes and sketchings into an 11-minute piece for full orchestra. It's laborious, tedious work that is extremely rewarding for me.

JulianImp

Upupupu - Upupupu arc #8
Okay, so Junko's plan to force
Mitarai to do a brainwashing anime was probably stopped before he could actually do much
, and Mikan keeps being the most retarded character ever (even more so than Akane!), only she's now
fully on Junko's side
. It was also weird that the POV kept meandering about as the class was looking for Mikan without any of the scenes being relevant, and that during that time Nanaki somehow teamed up with Komaeda to do the search, which of course led to him
breaking into Junko's hideout by sheer luck.

This was a better episode than the last one, but it still feels like the show isn't fleshing the characters out as much as it's just checking boxes for things that were hinted at in other DR entries. The little time we get to see the 77th class interact with each other, 99% of the time it's them doing their one gimmick (Akane being dumb/hungry, Teruteru being a pervert, Gundham being the ultimate ham, Kiyoko being a spoiled brat, etc.), but at least we got that interesting scene between
??????
and Komaeda, and then again Komaeda
confronting Junko
in the end.

I guess Komaeda's ultimate luck has led to him getting involved in all the scenes that are actually cool.

I updated my post a bit more!

Also don't mix arranger and composer with orchestrator. They are all three very different sets of skills that just have a little overlap. I would say an orchestrator has the most technically demanding job of the 3 by far.

An orchestrator takes music from a composer and puts the notes to actual sheet music for instrumentalists so a piece of music can be performed. Some composers will compose all of their music on a piano score or all on a computer, and it's the orchestrator's job to make it into sheet music so that it can be performed.

An orchestrator then takes those notes and tries to figure out how to make it physically possible for a real group of people to play on real instruments (and all their limitations and idiosyncrasies).

Some composers do their own orchestration, some do not. Masashi Hamauzu is someone who is gifted enough to excel at all three (composition, arrangement, orchestration).

That being said, most classically trained composers will learn all three skillsets during their education, but most only stick to one or two of those fields, if even. Many composers will orchestrate their own stuff because they know how they want something to sound. When you get into larger industries where it's more a process (like video games) you will more frequently see orchestrators being used (but they are sadly not always credited!). For instance, when I wrote my master's thesis it took me about 6 months to orchestrate my notes and sketchings into an 11-minute piece for full orchestra. It's laborious, tedious work that is extremely rewarding for me.
Wow I feel ignorant, I've never even heard of a orchestrator until now. I had always kinda assumed the person who wrote music just sorta...wrote it and it just works out for people playing it or a conductor told them when to play.

I know very little about music outside of a musical history class I once took.

JulianImp

Wow I feel ignorant, I've never even heard of a orchestrator until now. I had always kinda assumed the person who wrote music just sorta...wrote it and it just works out for people playing it or a conductor told them when to play.

Well, common sense dictates that you just can't, say, give the NES SMB overworld sheet music to an orchestra and have them perform it, because that was made for a very specific set of requirements (2 square waves, a triangle wave and a white noise channel). You have to dissect the music, analyze which parts would fit each instrument/section, and rewrite it from the ground up for their sake, and that also requires knowing which feel the music should have in order to decide which instruments to use, which tempo should be usied, and so on (in the SMB overworld music example, they often go for a latin/caribbean style).

duckroll

Well, common sense dictates that you just can't, say, give the NES SMB overworld sheet music to an orchestra and have them perform it, because that was made for a very specific set of requirements (2 square waves, a triangle wave and a white noise channel). You have to dissect the music, analyze which parts would fit each instrument/section, and rewrite it from the ground up for their sake, and that also requires knowing which feel the music should have in order to decide which instruments to use, which tempo should be usied, and so on (in the SMB overworld music example, they often go for a latin/caribbean style).

Speaking of which. I have tickets to Distant Worlds in December here, and if they don't play this, I'm going to demand a refund: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_XANMleDc

JulianImp

Speaking of which. I have tickets to Distant Worlds in December here, and if they don't play this, I'm going to demand a refund: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-_XANMleDc

I'm illiterate to all things Final Fantasy (had no SNES first, and then no PlayStation consoles, so I missed out all of them while growing up), but I still loved the concert when they held it in Argentina several years ago.

How I wish more of these kind of events would tour all the way down here, but it's probably not nearly as profitable as going just about anywhere else...

Thoraxes

Oh that's alright. I'm always more than happy (and very enthusiastic) to explain music stuff to people!

And to give an example of what a score looks like, here's a page of a piece I wrote.

That score up there initially started as a midi file I worked on in a sequencing program in my spare time.

Each line on that page also has to have individual sheet music for just that performer to play. Which means that I had to make individual pages of music for each of them that has only the parts they need to play on it, and make sure it was 100% consistent with the score (the big one with all the parts on it). Then there's the fact that instruments transpose (think about writing every note 5 pitches higher to make sure the pitches that come out are consistent with the pitches the composer wants), or the fact that some of them don't play for large chunks of time. There are a ridiculous amount of logistics to work through in orchestrating a piece of music.

Every single person in an ensemble has their own parts, and it's the conductor's job to ensure that they all are in sync with one another while it's the performer's job to make sure they are playing their parts correctly too!

phaze

Naruto Shippuden 474
018912cuoqp.jpg
018919bcqxi.jpg

Husbandos noooo
Genuinely enjoyed the bigger part of it. It's not the end of the beginning, it's the end of the end and you can hear it closing in in giant strides. The issue of Naruto's birth and parentage was always one of the more interesting plotlines and Kushina's flashback was the last vestige of quality in Naruto, so it's nice to get this decent closure on this stuff.

As much I detest the War Arc and the idea of Edoing everyone and their grandma too, this ep made me appreciate a bit what I'd dare to call the thematic side of that which the Hashi-Mada-chan talk spelled out for you.

RIP Madara, you were too good for this manga.

Art the Show 01-06

This something is
people who can't appreciate the subtle exploration of issues of depression, escapism, abandonment, loss,, peer pressure in shows like this.*

Planetes 01

My Little Anime Can't Possibly Be This Unanime.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 06

Alright, this show and its visuals deserve screenshots so I'll just put up a bunch from this episode's first half.

Otherwise it also continues to impress me. It's the kind of show that's probably primarily targeted at kids but it deals with its themes so maturely that it's for everyone really. With its 50 episodes I was expecting fairly laid back slice of life to dominate for a long while but a lot has already happened, especially in this episode, and I'm wondering how exactly this is going to continue.

Some time ago we were talking about the rarely well done portrayal of 'parenting' in anime, this is among those that do it well.

Naruto Shippuden 474

Genuinely enjoyed the bigger part of it. It's not the end of the beginning, it's the end of the end and you can hear it closing in in giant strides. The issue of Naruto's birth and parentage was always one of the more interesting plotlines and Kushina's flashback was the last vestige of quality in Naruto, so it's nice to get this decent closure on this stuff.

As much I detest the War Arc and the idea of Edoing everyone and their grandma too, this ep made me appreciate a bit what I'd dare to call the thematic side of that which the Hashi-Mada-chan spelled out for you.

RIP Madara, you were too good for this manga.

Art the Show 01-06

This something is
people who can't appreciate the subtle exploration of issues of depression, escapism, abandonment, loss,, peer pressure in shows like this.*

Planetes 01

My Little Anime Can't Possibly Be This Unanime.

Is Naruto out of filler now?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom