• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

It may not be as good as You are Umasou, but for a 50 episode kids' show I don't think it's something to be ashamed of.

I'm just sad he never even tried to do anything as interesting again. I mean, even though Ando has never directed something as good as Sword of the Stranger since, he has definitely continued to deliver impressive action in Tempest, Wizard Barristers, World Conquest, and Under the Dog. All the while expanding his own range directing non-action stuff as well!

I'm just sad he never even tried to do anything as interesting again. I mean, even though Ando has never directed something as good as Sword of the Stranger since, he has definitely continued to deliver impressive action in Tempest, Wizard Barristers, World Conquest, and Under the Dog. All the while expanding his own range directing non-action stuff as well!

I would take Tribe Cool Crew over most of what Ando's worked on since Sword of the Stranger.

Izetta new PV and staff/cast revealed: http://izetta.jp

Director: Masaya Fujimori (You are Umasou)
Series Composition/Script: Hiroyuki Yoshino
Original Character Design: Bunbun
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Yuu Yamashita (Bunny Drop)
CG Production: Orange
Art Design: Green
Music: MICHIRU

Opening Theme: AKINO with bless4
Ending Theme: May'n

Animation Production: Ajiado

Might be unjustified but the first impression I had upon seeing this was "feels a bit like the Aldnoah zero".

Also generally entirely 2anime4me when it got that kind of setting, too. "HIME-SAMA!"
disapprove.gif

Certainly won't watch that unless it reviews very well.

duckroll

Yeah, there's some nicely animated action there, but I'm thinking in terms of full works here. For most of the excerpts you post, there's no reason to watch the actual work they come from instead of contenting yourself with the sakugabooru gif.

Well okay. But. Erm. Well. You sell. Errr. Okay there's Hanasaku Iroha!!!!! Right....? :(

Defuser

Izetta new PV and staff/cast revealed:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK

Fuck this guy, he should be banned from script writing. Piece of trash. RIP Izetta, your fate is sealed the moment you got this fucker on board.

Cornbread78

I'm actually watching a bunch of anime this month and started it off with.
A couple of episodes of Full Metal Panic!
The first two episodes of Gundam AGE, in memory of DTL.
The first episode of Build Fighters Try.

Nice, post impressions, lol.

Well I watch something most nights, just that in recent seasons theres very little simulcast for me to watch.

C'mon dude. Have you tried the Art Room show yet? Pretty fun and harmless.

Sorry, there was some football tonight. I think I caught up in the important ones I'm keeping up with.

Pre-season football can wait, lol.

Well, there is nothing worth watching during the week, all the good stuff comes at the end and beginning of the week.
Monster - Ep 39-40
Heartcatch Precure - Ep. 8-9.

Ah, so all your shows are Sat. & Sun. then, huh.

Aki-at

Macross Delta - 14

Sorry Freyja, I don't like your rendition of the opening track :(

Also other than awkward joke scene afterwards, I saw no reason for Hayate and Mirage to strip haha.

Yeah, it took Shin Godzilla like 9 days to hit 2.1 billion yen. One Piece Film Gold took 16 days to break 3 billion yen.

So the race will be down to the legs.

I'm hoping the legs continue to be strong this weekend because I plan on watching it in a couple of weeks in Japan. Hold on for me Gojira senpai!!!!

Quasar

C'mon dude. Have you tried the Art Room show yet? Pretty fun and harmless.

I did watch 1 or 2 episodes (the last one I saw was the one where the teacher faints after finding the statue head in a box). It wasn't offensive but not interesting enough I guess to continue.

Cornbread78

I did watch 1 or 2 episodes (the last one I saw was the one where the teacher faints after finding the statue head in a box). It wasn't offensive but not interesting enough I guess to continue.

It definately isn't as good as thevearly 2000's romcoms, but it's pretty fun overall.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta - 14

Sorry Freyja, I don't like your rendition of the opening track :(

Also other than awkward joke scene afterwards, I saw no reason for Hayate and Mirage to strip haha.

Need as much pulling force without anything interfering, y'know?

:p

JulianImp

This is sounding increasingly like Translation. Especially in regard to stories and dialogue.

Doing fan translation on the side, I've got to agree. Most of the time you have to jump through hoops to find a proper translation, specially in cases such as Japanese, with its crazy polysemy and cultural constructs such as honorifics or their social system (ie: sempai/kouhai, onii/nee-sans).

Actually, I'd say it's more like the nuance of "localization" over "translation". Say, some people and fansub circles like a more raw-style translation, keeping honorifics, the Japanese last-name-basis and use translator's notes to explain puns or japanese-specific things (ie: people mistaking words due to multiple kanji sounding the same), while others have a more liberal way of actually localizing things, such as switching over to first-name basis, reworking the context around jokes, puns and misunderstandings to have them make actual sense in the target language.

Personally, I'm more inclined towards proper localization, since making something sound more natural in a language feels better to me than doing literal translations for the sake of keeping things intact, even if it means that several things stop making sense once the characters aren't even talking in the source language.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 9
There's fan service, and then there's fan service added during last minute. One of them is not good. Like, i know panty shot is an important feature, but adding it during the final stretch of production is a BIG NO! it mess the schedule, and well, basically make every team go into Overtime Unfortunately, adding new feature near deadline is probably something that happen often in any creative industry.

Anyway, remind me of God Eater resurrection adding panty shot feature when the first one don't really have them. I guess they add it since there's a quite significant upgrade in character model (lol)

Nier ending D

Yah, this is one good example of using video game strength to tell a story. It's something that almost impossible to be replicated in other form of media... one could try, but the effect won't be as strong as this game.

JulianImp

but good god finding a suitable pun replacement or a kanji joke equivalent must be hell

Tell that to the fanstubbers who do Detective Conan (like me), where you had cases such as multiple people adding single strokes to a kanji written in blood by the victim in order to throw off the investigation and pin the guilt down on somebody else.

For example, thinking about that particular case I guess the solution couldn've been:
  1. Victim is killed by someone with F as his/her initial, writes it down before dying
  2. First person comes across the dying message, replaces the F with a P (an initial belonging to another character)
  3. Finally, another person spots the message and changes it to an R
But yeah, it takes a lot of work to frame everything again to have it still make sense when localized, and in the above case the trick would fail if the characters involved were part of the show's main or recurring cast with already-established names.

Puzzle and Dragon X 7 dub

A nice episode where our MC is of course the only that actually pass the test because he is the mc and he heard nature's voice. This is a very kid show and it shows but it is very fun too watch. It's colorful and joyful, which is a good change from the darker shows.

Still super fun

Tales of Zestiria the X 4 dub

I really like this show. It bring one of my favourite Tales cast even more to life. Seeing Sorey and Mikleo interact always makes me laugh and the scene where they make Sorey hold his breath for Alisha to hear the seraphim was also super funny.

Then you have the beautiful Ufo visuals and action scenes.

Tales and Mob are my each week highlights.

Inuyasha 1-15

So I started back Inuyasha since I never truly continued passed what aired on ytv when I was younger and so far it's a throwback to old memories. The characters are so fun and the dynamic between them so good. Some details were fuzzy in my head and I did not remember that the thunder brothers and tetsayga were that soon. Love Shippo, he's a fun little guy.

The dub is also as good as I remember.

Acosta

Re: ZERO

Watching the first three episodes, definitely intriguing, nice art (love the huge town shoots), nice protagonist, good ending song. Seems like a keeper, nice to have lot of episodes to catch up.

SuperSah

Banned
Seen four episodes of TTGL so far. Whilst it's good, it doesn't really seem to be what everybody is making out. Is it one of those slow starter anime?

Seen four episodes of TTGL so far. Whilst it's good, it doesn't really seem to be what everybody is making out. Is it one of those slow starter anime?

Yes, I had the same impression of it too and left watching any more for a few weeks. Once they get the story proper going it really starts to move and the endless bragadaccio of Kamina becomes more endearing and less annoying. Now I'm only at ep 12 but I'm still not really seeing the 'KlK is a pale imitation' thing that so many people hold to be true but maybe that will shine through by the end.

Acosta

I can't wait to see how the DR2 cast fell into despair!

bUCRt24.jpg

... maybe not.

I'm enjoying Daganronpa and the combination from future and past, but I suspected that they couldn't deliver with the "Worst Incident whatever" and so far, I was right, they have been building that since the first game, being hush hush about how it happened. Some times things get to big to be worth expplaining.

The first mutual killing was visually brutal but lacking in gravitas, too fast, quite undramatic, Junko did that so effortlessly that the she must felt despair at it.

My big hope was Junko manipulating everyone in a exquisite way to fall into despair in individual basis, but I'm betting they are going to sell everything on a big despair inducing shock and be done with it.

After reading Daganronpa Zero and Junko at her best (holy shit!), it would be quite disappointing.

Theonik

Depends on what you were expecting. The first half of TTGL is completely different than the second half. People tend to hype the second half more but I think the first half is a much better show. Just keep watching.

Jintor

yeah i feel like the first half is more tightly constructed. Both halves kind of meander a little at the beginning of their arcs though

I can't help but feel a little disappointed in Danganronpa 3 Despair thus far, and I think my expectations were in check. I think its one of those situations where the idea in your head of what happened will always be better then the actual thing especially given a mere 12 episodes, the majority of which we have exhausted and there hasn't been much built up beyond the 4-5 focus characters, the rest of the class are only there to pop in and say a gimmick line every once in a while.

DR2
really set up the characters to have individual weaknesses to fall into despair. The one that would be questionable was Nidai, but he's connected to the hip with Akane who would fall rather easily. Seeing as how Junko was able to break Mikan with just brainwashing is disappointing. Mikan should've been the easiest one to manipulate. Junko is a master of deception and manipulation, so to see her best idea wind down to brainwashing is goofy. This is someone who gets off on tricking people into revering her and mutilating themselves and others for the sake of despair. Brainwashing should be boring to her. I hope Mikan is just a test case...but I doubt it. On the other hand its cool to see Izuru be absurdly broken and bored with it because he has nothing to aspire to.

But it did give us Hopeman pulling out a fucking pistol which was hilarious

Just a bit. Keep watching for another four episodes or so for it to REALLY pick up.

Once the ball gets rolling, it's so, so worth it,

Let me put it this way: a roller coaster has to climb upwards before it can descend

This is an apt comparison.

Kono Bijutsubu - 09

The parts involving Moeka are always the ones I enjoy the most. Unfortunately they're not very frequent. "Upsy-daisy" voice line was cute overdose.
Overall a decent episode in my book. As someone who was pretty lukewarm on the show in the beginning, I've gradually started to enjoy it more as it went on.

duckroll

This is sounding increasingly like Translation. Especially in regard to stories and dialogue.

Doing fan translation on the side, I've got to agree. Most of the time you have to jump through hoops to find a proper translation, specially in cases such as Japanese, with its crazy polysemy and cultural constructs such as honorifics or their social system (ie: sempai/kouhai, onii/nee-sans).

Actually, I'd say it's more like the nuance of "localization" over "translation". Say, some people and fansub circles like a more raw-style translation, keeping honorifics, the Japanese last-name-basis and use translator's notes to explain puns or japanese-specific things (ie: people mistaking words due to multiple kanji sounding the same), while others have a more liberal way of actually localizing things, such as switching over to first-name basis, reworking the context around jokes, puns and misunderstandings to have them make actual sense in the target language.

Personally, I'm more inclined towards proper localization, since making something sound more natural in a language feels better to me than doing literal translations for the sake of keeping things intact, even if it means that several things stop making sense once the characters aren't even talking in the source language.

I think comparing orchestration to translation is just comparing two things which are similar to a root thing. There's a simpler way to explain it, and it's adaptation. Localization is just another form of adaptation (adapting something from one language to another). Music arrangement is an adaptation of music from one set of instruments to another. Orchestration is a form of music arrangement.

All forms of adaptation faces similar types of challenges in different forms - how true do you want to be to the source, how do you best take advantage of the form you are adapting to, what parts simply cannot be adapted and have to be changed, who is the audience for this adaptation and what are their expectations, etc.

Re: ZERO

Watching the first three episodes, definitely intriguing, nice art (love the huge town shoots), nice protagonist, good ending song. Seems like a keeper, nice to have lot of episodes to catch up.

MAY BE SPOILERS
Show gets really good and while some of the protagonist's acts are questionable, he is completely relatable. The whole premiseof him being transported to another world and having the burden of trying to fit in, while not being really useful is very well done imo.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 10

Probably the most complete episode yet. Action didn't drag the show down as it normally does and so it was pretty exciting throughout. We got another sweet postcard end and it's nice them to accentuate the strengths of CG for bits like Puck & Isidoro hanging from the wall. Maybe they'er learning after all.

Cheer boys 5 dub

The various emotions this anime brings out are amazing.

The humour throughout the entire episode was perfect and always on point.

The touching and important moments for Haru and the rest of the team were perfectly executed.

Finally the lead up to that first performance was perfect and made those last few minutes amazing. The colors and the animation used brought out the great of this moment.

This anime makes me happy! Haru is still the MVP.

LET'S GO BREAKERS!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Thunderbolt Fantasy Episode 9:

Even for this series, I thought the dialog leaned too heavy on the navel gazing bullshit this episode, still at least things happened at the end.

Battery 7

I think this is the first time I've seen a sports game in anime with such little talking. Even with the series being what it's been up to now, it's almost shocking how naturalistic the direction for the game is.

blurr

I think comparing orchestration to translation is just comparing two things which are similar to a root thing. There's a simpler way to explain it, and it's adaptation. Localization is just another form of adaptation (adapting something from one language to another). Music arrangement is an adaptation of music from one set of instruments to another. Orchestration is a form of music arrangement.

All forms of adaptation faces similar types of challenges in different forms - how true do you want to be to the source, how do you best take advantage of the form you are adapting to, what parts simply cannot be adapted and have to be changed, who is the audience for this adaptation and what are their expectations, etc.

Yep, this is the impression I got. I was mostly thinking on translation because I recently read John Rutherford's translation note for Don Quixote - he mentioned something almost similar about his work. Although it's odd that I didn't think on the concept of adaptation eventually.

it's definitely a slow burner initially which I am not a fan of but I quite like where it went and what it tried to pull off

Exalted

Thunderbolt Fantasy 9

Lovely party, can't believe they just left them in the cage. While lot of stuff has been explained in this episode, i think Gui has even more secrets, and his real plan has not yet been revealed. Nice tease at the end, guess the time has come for Shang, to finally show of his real skills.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 23:

So is this the first time we have seen a stand talk on its own accord?

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 23

This would have been the best thing I'd seen today if I hadn't watched Thunderbolt Fantasy first. It still amazes me we came from the jank of the part one adaptation to this. If only other franchises were handled so well as they progressed.

Wanderer5

Man despite the still at times shitty CGI, Berserk anime feels like it been pretty faithful with the tower of conviction chapter, so least that is something.

Izetta new PV and staff/cast revealed: http://izetta.jp

Director: Masaya Fujimori (You are Umasou)
Original Character Design: Bunbun
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Yuu Yamashita (Bunny Drop)
CG Production: Orange
Art Design: Green
Music: MICHIRU

Opening Theme: AKINO with bless4
Ending Theme: May'n

Animation Production: Ajiado

Pretty interested for now. Will keep a eye on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom