• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Already made the question on Twitter but apparently no one noticed, so please let me repeat it here where someone might know:

What happened to the account of our former thread pal Tamerlane A.K.A. camonte (@tamerlane420)? It vanished! And the last entries from him on his last personal blog I know of (https://twolongfourtwitlonger.wordpress.com/) and another blog he collaborates with (https://wavemotioncannon.com/author/camonte/) are pretty old by now... I don't like this situation... :-(

What I heard is that work/life was busy for him and he was bored with animation discussion, so he decided to quit his online presence.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Missus Robinsonu

Great filmed, loved the ending. Recommend it to anyone in their 20s. Its better than Golden Boy but also worst in some areas. Would watch it again.

Also, Dustin Hoffman is a discount Al Pacino.

Alderamin 09

ItBOs8B.jpg
Man liking other characters in this show was a mistake and I just need to stop now. Great episode otherwise. Got to see some interesting battle tactics on both sides and the rebel leader's fighting style was something out of a fucking video game.

/XX/

What I heard is that work/life was busy for him and he was bored with animation discussion, so he decided to quit his online presence.
I see. Sad that it happened in this abrupt way, but of course I should respect his decision even if in the process we have lost his replies on very fine conversations. I'll miss such an always interesting input.

Many thanks for the answer!

SuperSah

Banned
Okay, okay, just watched up to Ep 6 of TTGL.

Ep 6 was great fun with the bath house. I love the sexual banter with Kamina and Simon towards the girls. It's actually getting pretty good now. :p

Okay, okay, just watched up to Ep 6 of TTGL.

Ep 6 was great fun with the bath house. I love the sexual banter with Kamina and Simon towards the girls. It's actually getting pretty good now. :p

Did you watch the clip show version of this episode? Or did you watch the other version of this episode?

SuperSah

Banned
I mean, did a majority of the episode you watched have the characters reminiscing over events from the last few episodes?

Nope. It was just them looking for the Gunmen HQ, come across the old dude and end up in the bath house. A lot of it was Kamina/Simon looking for boobs and then the fight with the bath house.

Am I doing this wrong?

Nope. It was just them looking for the Gunmen HQ, come across the old dude and end up in the bath house. A lot of it was Kamina/Simon looking for boobs and then the fight with the bath house.

Am I doing this wrong?

Nope. You watched the right version of this episode.

It's just that a lot of people end up watching the censored version of this episode on their first run-through of the show. Just making sure you got the full experience. ;)

SuperSah

Banned
Nope. You watched the right version of this episode.

It's just that a lot of people end up watching the censored version of this episode on their first run-through of the show. Just making sure you got the full experience. ;)

Ah great, thanks for that! Definitely saw the uncensored version. It's becoming a lot of fun now, the first few episodes were kind of 'meh' but it's certainly picking up! :)

Alderamin - 09

Matthew's lonely warrior bit was hilarious. The battle itself between Yatori and the tribe chief girl was something else though. I too thought that
those acrobatics needed something to make them as floaty as they were. Her having one of those little spirits made sense.

Everyone is freaking out over 91 Days. Gonna watch now.

Gvitor

91 Days

Holy shit

Was not expecting that when people were hyping this.

I thought for sure Corteo was the one who was going to die, maybe by Avilio's hands or something.

Dreavus

Dunno if this is quite the right thread to ask, but..

Have there been any updates on the next season of Attack on Titan?

I just finished re-watching the first season – The dubbed version, which was pretty stellar as far as I was concerned.

However, I've made a point of trying to stay spoiler free and already saw a few things I wish I hadn't while trying to carefully google for details of a sequel. I don't follow the manga at all so I know a lot of that stuff is out in the wild, but I'd rather stick to the show for now.

AoT was pretty huge when it came out IIRC. Is the next season still something that's supposed to be coming? Are they planning on doing a dub for it as well?

Four boys and girls were watching the vicious battle between the GDF (Global Defense Force), Team Rabbits, and the Wulgaru on television. Members of Team Forn Sei, Chris, Yui, and Ahn had been going through rigorous training at Gurantseere Academy, dreaming of being able to one day be deployed onto the battlefield like their beloved Team Rabbits in their new AHSMB robots. Suddenly, during their time in training, it was decided that the GDF would participate in a dangerous battle to destroy a Wulgaru base. Along with their other fellow cadets, Team Forn awaits the announcement of their assignment for the operation...
Majestic Prince episode 25 synopsis for anyone interested.

Looks like it's going to be centered around MJP juniors Team Forn and Instructor Sugita and give them an introduction prior to the movie. Character designs are Hirai as fuck, and the mecha designs are unconventionally wacky, even by MJP standards. Hopefully the team dynamic is as fun as Team Rabbits.

Clov

Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV

I feel like this lowered my hype for the actual game. Great visuals, but the fights were really confusing to follow. Had a lot of trouble understanding what happened in that final act, too. At least the dialogue was better than Advent Children!

Jarmel

Banned
Yatsura-2
Weirdly enough this feels like a show made in the 70's despite actually being made in the 80's. It's animated fairly well for a TV show from that era in that there's a good amount of motion even if the character models are off. It reminds me of my experience watching Macross but so far the show hasn't reached the lows that the Macross production had (even if it doesn't have the highs too). The blu-ray format also makes some of the scenes obvious that they were done on cels, partly due to the clarity of the format.
ZnmDX0V.jpg
S8o5ALV.jpg

Yes, half of this episode was about the main character treating to physically beat a child.
It's really kind of stark how different the characters are from what we see nowadays from the despicable Ataru, to the overbearing mother, or even Lum. Ataru is depicted as this type of scumbag loser which is kind of rare in modern works. It's weird watching it for example the classroom scene has all these kids blowing off the teacher and just doing what they want in the middle of class. There's a sort of surreal atmosphere to it where the characters all act like delinquents but also comes off as more earnest than modern works where the students are orderly all the time.
No kidding.

Line_HTX

Dunno if this is quite the right thread to ask, but..

Have there been any updates on the next season of Attack on Titan?

I just finished re-watching the first season – The dubbed version, which was pretty stellar as far as I was concerned.

However, I've made a point of trying to stay spoiler free and already saw a few things I wish I hadn't while trying to carefully google for details of a sequel. I don't follow the manga at all so I know a lot of that stuff is out in the wild, but I'd rather stick to the show for now.

AoT was pretty huge when it came out IIRC. Is the next season still something that's supposed to be coming? Are they planning on doing a dub for it as well?

The 2nd season was supposed to be this year, but it got pushed back to Spring 2017. As for the dub, no one knows if it'll be a simuldub or not. My guess is Funimation would want to do that given how popular the show is.

Dai Guard - 1

So I've always been meaning to check this out, but I've never gotten around to it. Finally decided to rectify that today.

I've been sold on this show as The Office but with mecha. There's apparently a heavy emphasis on getting funds to get the main mecha do simple things like getting it to move, so I'm interested in how that'll be handled.

I'm enjoying the energy the MC has. Yelling like your typical super robot hero but this thing can only do a few simple punches before it starts falling apart.

Still, I've seen this thing do some cool stuff in SRWZ2. Can't wait to see how those super moves look in the anime.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Dai Guard - 1

So I've always been meaning to check this out, but I've never gotten around to it. Finally decided to rectify that today.

I've been sold on this show as The Office but with mecha. There's apparently a heavy emphasis on getting funds to get the main mecha do simple things like getting it to move, so I'm interested in how that'll be handled.

I'm enjoying the energy the MC has. Yelling like your typical super robot hero but this thing can only do a few simple punches before it starts falling apart.

Still, I've seen this thing do some cool stuff in SRWZ2. Can't wait to see how those super moves look in the anime.

I actually really liked this show. It's basically Eva mixed with The Office.

Grexeno

Thunderbolt Fantasy 09

Everyone is such a gigantic asshole that the fucking serial killer is one of the more honest and trustworthy characters in the show. Bravo.

Cornbread78

Alderamin ep.9
Damn brutal and both sides are complete asshokes at this point. Sir knight sure did fight honorably until his last breath and tgey could all learn a littke something from him in the end, well, the CO that had the
village burning to the ground at the end
obviously didn't

Line_HTX

This Art Club Has A Problem 06

Goddamn, Usami is really annoying as fuck here with her embarrassment. Jesus, this episode was so grating.

Oh, and fuck Chuunibyous.

Aki-at

With everyone's reactions, I get the feeling I missed out by deciding to skip out on 91 days.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 23

I mean it's all well and good that Koichi managed to turn things round but boy did he come close to screwing everything up. It almost all went to S-H-I-T.

Enjoyed Josuke act all cool and composed after Koichi's phonecall telling him his nephew
is close to death
haha.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
91 Days
I thought that Corteo was going to kill himself when I kept seeing the balcony drapes flap in the wind. Was not expecting a brutal murder on his behalf. Corteo is totally going to either kill himself or get put down. He's mentally unstable.

Clov

Urusei Yatsura 195

A really fun episode to end the series on! Chaotic in a way that reminded me a lot of the early episodes. It was nice seeing everyone appear again in the end.

Overall, I enjoyed this series. It definitely has a lot of problems that I can't just hand-wave away, but it still has plenty of great episodes throughout both Pierrot and Deen's run. I still feel that Oshii's half was stronger, thanks to some of the more experimental episodes he had, but Yamazaki's half had plenty of good episodes in it as well. A lot of fun, silly episodes, with better animation than a lot of the Pierrot made episodes in fact! Not every episode was a winner, but enough were that I can say that it's a very good show overall.

91 Days
I thought that Corteo was going to kill himself when I kept seeing the balcony drapes flap in the wind. Was not expecting a brutal murder on his behalf. Corteo is totally going to either kill himself or get put down. He's mentally unstable.

I think Avilio is going to do it. He's going to kill him to not risk his cover getting blown. And THAT is when Avilio will really have become what he was initially trying to face.

LuffyZoro

Macross Delta 14

So... Why did they have to strip down to connect those power cables? It seems like it was just there to get the stereotypical embarrassed reaction from Mirage (and Freya, to a lesser extant).

Dai Guard - 2

CrZKTNIWEAAS37e.jpg:large
CrZKgH0W8AACzkq.jpg:large

Yep, he's a super robot protagonist all right.

Interesting how the drill weapon is actually super wobbly and tough to control here. They didn't even really master the control of it to defeat the enemy. They just gave it a hug while the drill flailed around on its back.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 14

So... Why did they have to strip down to connect those power cables? It seems like it was just there to get the stereotypical embarrassed reaction from Mirage (and Freya, to a lesser extant).

Hayate said he needed all the pulling force without anything interfering and have Mirage as the anchor, I guess. It was kind of lame, but eh, embarrassed Mirage was alright.

Macross Delta 14

To move around in zero-g by throwing their clothes in the other direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom