• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Demi-chan wa Kataritai TV anime coming winter 2017.
http://demichan.com/

1472906307902anuty.jpg
Got a feeling its going to get anime adaptation a year ago when i first start reading the series.
I like that the cm make it looks like it's an ajin related series (lol)

kewlmyc

Persona 5 -The DayBreakers-

It has me more interested in the game, so mission accomplished. I want to know why the Phantom Thieves are being pursued despite not really technically stealing anything. It's less impressive to look at than the Tales of Zestiria OVA prologue thing we had 2 years ago, but A-1 could never really compare to ufotable in the animation department, so it's to be expected.

Aldermain
Things I did not like:
-I sort of feel like the past few episodes have failed to make it seem like they were actually fighting a war. Maybe its cause we didn't really see the front lines. The totally unnecessary idiocy of the leadership isn't helping. Theres not really any tension, any sense that time is o the essence, or really that anything is happening outside the bubble that the main characters exist in, barring a few scenes last episode.
-"How did they get troops directly above us?!" Maybe because you're in the fucking mountains you halfwit.

-Not a fan of the enemy commander's design. Sticks out like a sore thumb from anything else we've seen. Also, the fight was fun, but he was defeated so quickly - it seemed like a waste. Kind of made this whole arc seem pointless (Which maybe was the point) - but if these tribes people were not going to pose even a slight threat, what was the point?

Never underestimate how ridiculously stupid and incompetent colonial administrators can be as evidence I'm going to point to the Anglo-Zulu War which was widely believed to be a disgraceful attack on a peaceful neighbour in London. That didn't stop the British from warring with the Zulu and taking all their territory though despite some of the most farcical displays in warfare as in the Balloe Massacre where a force of 900 British was defeated by perhaps 30 Zulu because they were all looking the wrong way with their back to a culvert.

Another example might be the famous charge of the light brigade in the Crimean War which was cast as a heroic example of doing your duty no matter the odds when it was in reality a grotesque failure of command that led to a brigade of light horse charging cannon across an open plain with wholly predictable results. The only reason the commander Lord Cardigan wasn't disgraced was pressure from the queen for a favourite relative and a need to shore up support for a massively unpopular war in London.

Or the various campaigns the British Empire had in Afghanistan where multiple useless bureaucrats out to make a name for themselves would wobble up the Kyber Pass and get roundly slaughtered sooner or later. A classic of the form was the first Anglo-Afghan War where a poorly supported army was left in a swamp until they decided to try and march home in the middle of Afghan winter on the basis of a deal. The deal was broken and of 16,500 people only 40 or so made it out.

All of these individual failures by incompetent scions of Empire had little overall effect on the empire or even locally. London would typically double down on whatever stupid poorly planned expansionist impulse came from the colonies because of fear of being seen as weak. The Zulu War in particular was heavily criticised in parliament but those doing the criticising made no effort to change things when they came to power and the Zulu were eventually parcelled off to the white colonists to create modern South Africa.

The anime is currently portraying a classic colonial punishment campaign, these were typically carried out against local tribes and involved burning villages and massacring families. In modern parlance we tend to call this ethnic cleansing but in the mindset of european colonists this was a legitimate act of collective punishment against 'hostile' tribes. Burning villages and forcing them into new government controlled towns, is a tactic used over and over during the various colonial wars of the 19th and 20th century such as in the US, Malaya, Vietnam, Kenya, South Africa (Koncentration Laagers come from the the Boer War).

If this was the main force of the Alderamin army I'd be more dismayed by senior leadership incompetence but as it's cast as a local colonial jackass letting his racism and pride run wild it rings all too true for me.

Syrinx

Amanchu! 9

I liked the ending to this episode but I don't really understand what the problem even was in the first place. Teko could still look at her pictures if she moved them from her phone's memory to the memory card...right? Sentiment is a major focus of shows like this and Aria but I can't grasp why this was making her so sentimental and emotional. Or I do grasp it and just don't buy it.

Cornbread78

Moribito-END
It's been awhile since I've wanted to stand up and cheer at the end of an anime, well, at least since I finished FMA:B a few months ago, lol. This show was a great story telling experience in that even the "slower" episodes kept me glued to the screen in interest on what was happening as everything played out. The action scenes were really well choreographed and donr on a way not to hlorify the acts, but bring out their importance and severity. I could say a bunch more about how great this was but that's enough for now..

Last Exile was going to be the next Let's Watch, but I'm not sure if anyone is joining in..?

Clov

Better or worse than Kingsglaive?

Better! It showed me what the game will be about and what some of the characters are like, with a simple scenario that never overstays its welcome. It made me more excited to try out the game, which means that it did its job a lot better than Kingsglaive.

Soma S2 10

The set up was all there with the flashback and discussion about what Soma is actually good at the the flash back for the other two characters as well, Soma's surprise portion of his dish.
Still shocked Hayama won it. I was absolutely convinced Soma had this one in the bag. Hayama winning makes this entire arc somewhere more satisfying and the series as well because Soma while an extremely strong contender isn't simply going to win every final battle simply because he is the MC of the story. He got beat by someone he is even more obsessed with cooking than he is.

Jarmel

Banned
Persona 5- Anime
0plh7Qn.jpg

Now watch him not have any voiced lines in the game at all.
Well it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. It's not particularly memorable but it's not rancid trash left on the side of a NYC street. I don't think the direction or storyboarding were good, in fact I might argue the direction was kind of bad, but the writing and some of the animation cuts near the end made it not a waste of time. I don't know what it is with people using in media res improperly but it seems like it's becoming a thing. The twist threw me for a loop and made it feel like at least a bare amount of effort went into the show.

Something I didn't realize until now was that the Personas are based off famous fictional and nonfictional thieves. That's pretty cool in a way that Personas in previous Persona games weren't. I also think the whole concept of stealing hearts fits into the Persona world better than the main narrative thrusts in previous games. Societal pressure looks to be a big theme in the game so I'm looking forward to that.

Cornbread78

Persona 5- Anime

Well it wasn't as terrible as I was expecting. It's not particularly memorable but it's not rancid trash left on the side of a NYC street. I don't think the direction or storyboarding were good, in fact I might argue the direction was kind of bad, but the writing and some of the animation cuts near the end made it not a waste of time. I don't know what it is with people using in media res improperly but it seems like it's becoming a thing. The twist threw me for a loop and made it feel like at least a bare amount of effort went into the show.

Something I didn't realize until now was that the Personas are based off famous fictional and nonfictional thieves. That's pretty cool in a way that Personas in previous Persona games weren't. I also think the whole concept of stealing hearts fits into the Persona world better than the main narrative thrusts in previous games. Societal pressure looks to be a big theme in the game so I'm looking forward to that.

Oh, this is out? Very interested to check it out; Feb.17 can't come soon enough!

blurr

Death Parade 09

Wow, this show finally answered one of my biggest concerns which is something I also saw coming though, this was done fantastically. Everyone's capable of falling into the dark side, no one is marked good or bad at some deep level of their mind or heart - it seems Decim finally had the epiphany to this truth and the susceptibility of human emotion. Holy shit dude, woman's with black hair's emotional agony over witnessing all of it was justified.

Now will it go on to question the very idea of having a binary perspective of judgement? that would be very cool or I would be disappointed.

Exalted

Soma S2 episode 10

So the tournament is finally over. Didn't think it was really worth waiting a week for those few last minutes of the tournament, if you exclude the flashbacks.
Hayama won, which i didn't expect, though Soma had it.
They should just used one episode, or the entirety of 2, instead of what we got for the big final.
I think S1 cook offs were overall more exciting to watch that what we got in S2.

LuffyZoro

Hayate said he needed all the pulling force without anything interfering and have Mirage as the anchor, I guess. It was kind of lame, but eh, embarrassed Mirage was alright.

To move around in zero-g by throwing their clothes in the other direction.

Due to the sweat and the types of clothes they were wearing, it was restricting them for the job they had to do. Have you ever tried to do hard work and found that the jacket you were wearing was too restrictive for full-body movement, so you take it off? It's kinda like that, but it's anime.

Hmm.

Gvitor

Soma 10

Stagiaire, yes. Short arc, but I really love it. Shame there's only 3 episodes left to do it. I think 5 would be best. 4 for the arc and 1 as an epilogue/ending should we never get a third season.

I really liked that in this episode they showed all the plates from the competition, even if for a brief second. I don't remember that from the manga.

Eumi

"Look at this cool art! Listen to this cool music!

You know, we're making a game with this stuff in it... if you want..."

Kind of fluffy and pointless, but it wasn't awful or anything. Got to see some SMT demons animated properly for once and that's pretty neat.

I can't fucking believe there's another high schooler detective though. Although that pretty much confirms that dudes gonna get Sherlock as a persons right? I mean someone has to, Joker has Lupin for christs sake.

Soma S2 - 10

Putting that flashback right before announcing the winners name was ass. Transitioning to that right after the announcement would've been better if they really wanted to use that. Too many flashbacks in this episode anyways for my taste.

Show is losing steam for me which isn't unexpected given that we already started out with pretty much everyone being super duper mega cooks with little room for growth and it's a bit formulaic. I still really like the cooking preparations and actual cooking if we get to see those in detail, but the taste reactions rarely elicit a reaction of my own anymore. Also, while the setting is over the top as hell one could still have way better characters than this. I mean Ryou is simply garbage and his 'rage' gimmick became overplayed by the second time.

Clov

Kind of fluffy and pointless, but it wasn't awful or anything. Got to see some SMT demons animated properly for once and that's pretty neat.

I don't think it's the first time, actually! The Tokyo Revelation OVA had some SMT demons in it, I think.
Haven't actually seen it, but I know at least Ose is in it.

Too bad they didn't try to adapt the original manga designs.

Basically two different characters.

That's a pretty shocking difference, the anime rendition is bland as all hell but the character is jumping off the page in the manga. I mean I can understand making the line work simpler but the personality seems more 'moe catgirl' in the anime versus 'might just cut you for the giggles' in the manga.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 10

So, uh... did they even bother who was definitively 3rd, or did they do a double silver like in the Olympics? Because that was fucking dumb that Kurokiba wasn't declared 3rd. And I didn't like how the flashback was placed before the final verdict because it made it too obvious who was the winner when the viewer could've guessed it without much help.

Good to see Leonora acknowledge how good Soma's final dish was though, to the chagrin of Alice, haha.

That one guy trying to sabotage Soma from behind the scenes can get fucking rekt. His manipulation of the audience failed spectacularly. Well, now that the tournament's over, I guess we have the next thing that will cover the final 3 episodes.

I really love the pyramid standings that were shown though when it was over. That pyramid only proves who's at the top and more perfect than Hayama, LMAO

Dreavus

The 2nd season was supposed to be this year, but it got pushed back to Spring 2017. As for the dub, no one knows if it'll be a simuldub or not. My guess is Funimation would want to do that given how popular the show is.

Late reply, but thank you. I'll keep an eye out next year.

12 Kingdoms - 22

Time to drop this. It's become increasingly dull and I'm annoyed by how much recap stuff there is, even when I'm just skipping that.

Clov

So I'd like to watch some anime films during the last few days of my Summer break. So far I have The Five Star Stories to watch. I might end up watching the last Persona 3 movie too. I still have Urusei Yatsura movies 3 and 4 to watch, but I really want a break from that series for a bit.

ANN ran an article on the author's favorite anime from 1986, and they mentioned a few films I haven't seen that caught my interest: Gall Force, Windaria, Project A-ko, and Time Stranger (not to be confused with the Goshogun film which I've seen and enjoyed). I've heard a lot of good things about Project A-ko before, but I haven't heard a lot on the others. Can anyone here who's seen them confirm that they're worth a watch?

Pokemon Origins

I mean, when they were only given 4 episodes that sort of pacing makes sense but it's still lacking any room to breathe other than perhaps episode 2.

Ugly character design and fairly low production values were disappointing too.

I did like how closely this payed homage to the original games and all the attention to detail is appreciated. Pokemon not saying their names constantly but rather making noises was neat.

Persona 5 Day Breakers

It's alright, not a trainwreck like the P4 or Devil Survivor 2 anime. But it didn't even come close to capturing any of the style of the game so I don't know the point of it. All it does is remind you the game comes out in 10 days in Japan and 5 months in the West so its just a kick in the balls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom