• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Live Sunshine 10

se6jEeG.jpg
UZTA7tp.jpg
KMCt8VH.jpg
DZ8InxP.jpg

dont need goggles for this one

Now that Mari and Dia actually joined up they just steal the show lmao

petran79

Banned
I remember when some years ago Gunslinger Girl - il Teatrino was released I was deterred from watching it. All the negative comments about the change of animation studio and the new voice actors gave me the impression it would much inferior to the manga.

Now that the manga reached its conclusion few years ago, I decided to give it a shot. I had watched the last episode some time ago and found it very good for an action series. But character relations were the most important part and for that I had to see the whole series. I was not disappointed.

I have to say, the second series stays as close to the manga and is as good as the first series. Manga gets more action packed later on. I watched it in English. The robotic voices of the English voice actresses and the European settings suited the series much better actually.

The fact that the characters and their tutors look blander and more emotionless than the first series, makes the sequel even more effective, tragic and terrifying. All characters there do not value human life at all, putting it below revenge, conditioning, national security and assassinations.

Only downside is that they could not add more people animation in the Italian settings, beyond the detailed maps and photographs.

BluWacky

12 Kingdoms - 22

Time to drop this. It's become increasingly dull and I'm annoyed by how much recap stuff there is, even when I'm just skipping that.

That is... the worst possible place to drop the show, although understandable (arc recap and that weird episode with Yoko and Rakushun). Next episode is an entirely new arc!

(although admittedly the show never really returns to things like the crazy Sugimoto storm battle, so your mileage may vary)

That is... the worst possible place to drop the show, although understandable (arc recap and that weird episode with Yoko and Rakushun). Next episode is an entirely new arc!

(although admittedly the show never really returns to things like the crazy Sugimoto storm battle, so your mileage may vary)

Oh okay, will watch one more then at least to see if that changes my mind.

Diamond is Unbreakable 22

He just wanted to eat his sandwich...

I remember when some years ago Gunslinger Girl - il Teatrino was released I was deterred from watching it. All the negative comments about the change of animation studio and the new voice actors gave me the impression it would much inferior to the manga.

The fact that the characters and their tutors look blander and more emotionless than the first series, makes the sequel even more effective, tragic and terrifying.

I've never heard lower production values advocated for like this before.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 026 - The Fall of the House of Lohengramm

We Punished Reinhard now, and Oberstein is multitudes more sly then Revolver Ocelot. Oberstein is such a fantastic character. The only thing worse then having to concede to his plans is to have him on the enemy side.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #16-21

Damn. That was fantastic, those last episodes are going to be amazing.
This has to be one of the best uses of CG for mechs I've seen and even the normal character animation is damn great.
Good to see some mysteries resolved, only a few left!

Exalted

Kuromukuro #16-21

Damn. That was fantastic, those last episodes are going to be amazing.
This has to be one of the best uses of CG for mechs I've seen and even the normal character animation is damn great.
Good to see some mysteries resolved, only a few left!

Heh, i think i also stopped at E16 before catching up with the show this week. The last 3 episodes were superb, and the show has really picked up, both story and action wise.

jbug617

Banned
Soma S2 - 10
Show is losing steam for me which isn't unexpected given that we already started out with pretty much everyone being super duper mega cooks with little room for growth and it's a bit formulaic. I still really like the cooking preparations and actual cooking if we get to see those in detail, but the taste reactions rarely elicit a reaction of my own anymore. Also, while the setting is over the top as hell one could still have way better characters than this. I mean Ryou is simply garbage and his 'rage' gimmick became overplayed by the second time.

If there is a Season 3 you will get to see some more interesting characters. Still hope that the
Elite 10
introductions will close out Season 2.

Cornbread78

91 Days ep.8

I said damm Corteo, you piece of shit, lol. You
were given an out, but unstead you turn traitor and start killing a mob boss?
That was unexpected and damn brutal at the same time!

Aki-at

Macross Delta - 15

Damn that speech from Lloyd sure was great, no wonder the Windermerians hate humans so much. I always enjoy me an episode that opts to focus on the villains to try and flesh out their goals and motives a bit more (Like Bogue's
entire family being murdered
) though I'm not sure what the end goal here is for Lloyd, who seems to have taken this opportunity to take control of the kingdom in the absence of the
late king
, totally misread his character.

Moribito - END

Well what can I say, overall the series didn't have many missteps, it didn't rely on forced drama, the fight scenes were all done well, the world itself felt large and expanded on, overall just an all round treat. The final episode itself was excellent all round,
Chagum wandering through the palace looking for his mother, Balsa's almost depressed realisation she has to let go of him and then the twos final conversation together where he tries to ship the two (Got a good laugh at me ha!)
overall a marvelous series and highly recommended for people who want a well made and genuine series that hardly ever misses. 9/10

Only slightly disappointed to find out it covered only the first novel out of 9, damn wish there was a sequel series then!

Clov

So I watched The Five Star Stories! I'm not entirely sure what happened in it. I feel like this movie could have benefited from a longer runtime. Still, the animation was nice. The brief fight scene when they finally get to the mechas fighting was really cool too; it happens so quickly, but it still managed to be really exciting to watch. Norio Wakamoto voiced his character surprisingly well; he wasn't hamming it up as much, but he still managed to bring a lot of energy to him. Also, I loved Ladios. Loved him! Despite barely understanding what happened, I don't regret watching this at all.

e_i

So I guess Yuu will be the final boss of Love Live Sunshine? Will she go yandere after Riko stole her waifu from her?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Blasian, you might want to just edit it out. People can get banned just linking to stuff like that.

Edit: You are looking for Choujin Densetsu Urotsukidouji - Birth of the Overfiend

Moribito - END

Well what can I say, overall the series didn't have many missteps, it didn't rely on forced drama, the fight scenes were all done well, the world itself felt large and expanded on, overall just an all round treat. The final episode itself was excellent all round,
Chagum wandering through the palace looking for his mother, Balsa's almost depressed realisation she has to let go of him and then the twos final conversation together where he tries to ship the two (Got a good laugh at me ha!)
overall a marvelous series and highly recommended for people who want a well made and genuine series that hardly ever misses. 9/10

Only slightly disappointed to find out it covered only the first novel out of 9, damn wish there was a sequel series then!

Already finished? Those 'let's watch anime thread' sure demand a lightning fast pacing ;O

Seems like those who watched it also ended up enjoying it thoroughly. That's good to hear.

Aki-at

It's Britain's favourite anime.

Remember waiting for I think Godzilla vs Gigan on Channel 4 as a kid and watching a bit of that.

Riveting stuff. Always amuses me now that an adult anime would follow up with a family friendly kid's film about a giant reptile thwarting the plans of space cockroaches.

Already finished? Those 'let's watch anime thread' sure demand a lightning fast pacing ;O

Seems like those who watched it also ended up enjoying it thoroughly. That's good to hear.

It was such an excellent show, I ended up loving just about every aspect of it.

Shame the full series is a novel or else I'd have jumped into reading what else there was. I just ended up loving both the real and spirit world and all the characters and would love to see more produced.

Lautaro

The set up was all there with the flashback and discussion about what Soma is actually good at the the flash back for the other two characters as well, Soma's surprise portion of his dish.
Still shocked Hayama won it. I was absolutely convinced Soma had this one in the bag. Hayama winning makes this entire arc somewhere more satisfying and the series as well because Soma while an extremely strong contender isn't simply going to win every final battle simply because he is the MC of the story. He got beat by someone he is even more obsessed with cooking than he is.

Its nice to see that Hayama's obsession ties with what Soma's father tried to say to him in the first episode: devote your cooking to a special woman in your life (or something like that).

Kenstar

91 Days ep.8

He wasn't given an out, FAAAAAAANGO was about to sentence him to a short life on the run followed by torture and execution, more brutal than just killing him right there. If he wanted him to get lost he would've left it at that, you can see it in his eyes he thinks he thought up something better than beating him to death, and decided to put that fear right into him by not even waiting until he was gone to start a manhunt for him. What FAAAAANGO didn't expect was for him to have the balls to do shit about it, in his mind it was like a hamster pulling a knife on you.

Persona 5 The Daybreakers

A couple of things:

- I like these kids already. We don't know much background wise (that will come in the game) but we got to see them interact with each other. Good chemistry amongst these ones.

- We got to see the game in motion. Well technically. This is what I believe to be how the game handles quests - from getting a notification on the phone, to having to scout out the situation, to then having to go fix the targets' hearts.

- As an anime, this wasn't all that special. It was mediocre at best, with some good looking bits, but for the most part, it was your average A-1 midtier quality output. Which is fine in this case. This isn't meant to be full blown show, and is basically just here to show us how the game is going to be, getting us accustomed to the systems and initial characters.

- The way they tag in battle is cool. And the Persona invocation is badass.

I mean in terms of what it set out to do, I'd say this gets a 10/10. I am more excited than ever to play the game. Can't really rate as anything else other than a hype piece. So its shortcomings in terms of animation to me are purely meaningless. Can't wait for this fucking game.

kewlmyc

91 Days ep.8

Avillo is a way bigger piece of shit for dragging Corteo into the mafia in the first place, then telling him to get out of his life, especially since they're all each other have left.

Cornbread78

Avillo is a way bigger piece of shit for dragging Corteo into the mafia in the first place, then telling him to get out of his life, especially since they're all each other have left.

Wasn't he just
trying to protect him by giving him the money to get out of it and go to college?

Cornbread78

UGGGGGGGGGH.
Man they fucked up the artstyle bad, feels just like what happened with Jistu Wa Watashi Wa's anime adaption from last year. They better at least adapt the content well, no adding fucking fan service to this, it ain't a fan service manga.

What is the manga all about? Is it a romcom like Actually, I Am?

Tuck

91 Days ep.8

He did it for Avilio.
Corteo thought if Nero was taken out, Avilio would be able to move on.

Avilio is the piece of shit, and I love him for it.

91 Days ep.8

He killed him out of fear and stress. He was terrified that he was going to tell the Vanettis that he is a traitor. He basically was a dead man, if we are to go by how seriously the family takes their opponents, look at how they threatened to kill the cop's family and almost went through with it. Even if Fango hadn't killed him, if he had told the Vanettis, he might as well just have done it on that spot.
Avilio is probably going to put him in his place now since uh... I'm sure this irregularity and imbalance could be very dangerous for his plan.

Soma S2 - 08

So the grand finals finale is upon us:

- Firstly, for some reason, animation seems to be vastly improved on this episode. Not that it has been bad or anything, but a lot more effort clearly went into animating and drawing the characters for this week's episode. Characters have more subtle moments that highlight their emotions and reactions to what is happening, more facial expressions, movements as they speak. Take notice of how natural the blinking looks as characters speak. Jun's glasses getting a little foggy while she drinks tea at the end of the episode. There are very subtle things all over the place that make the episode look better.

-
Hayama's
backstory made me think of him in a whole new light. As soon as that showed up, I knew why it was being shown, and I certainly was happy to see him win. The hug was cute.

And so a new genius was born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom