• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
No scene deserves a big GIF. No GIF should be big.

Use webm or die.

GIF's aren't very friendly for these types of things. Here's a much higher quality WEBM version

Webm has a LOOONG way to go before it can dethrone the GIF. The latter is versatile, mobile/browser/forum friendly and it provides image quality without the need to upload an actual video up. Ease of capture is a plus too. Now there are some shitty GIFs out there, but you can easily make one with top notch quality if you want to.

Ascheroth

Easily some of the best action animation this season. Todays episode should be great as well.

I love, love, LOVE how they used pencil sketch/doodle-like drawings, along with hand painting for the animation to show the raw power coming out of his 100% form. It's excellent.

Oh yes. OPM had some sick action, but the tradeoff was comparably bland backgrounds whereas Mob Psycho looks great all the friggin time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Webm has a LOOONG way to go before it can dethrone the GIF. The latter is versatile, mobile/browser/forum friendly and it provides image quality without the need to upload an actual video up. Ease of capture is a plus too. Now there are some shitty GIFs out there, but you can easily make one with top notch quality if you want to.

lolololololololololololololololololol
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

GIF is awful for image quality. Also, it ain't easy making a good, optimised GIF; that's why no one sane does it. It's actually far easier to upload it for a webm, which requires no editing apart from clipping out the bit you want.

GIFs are best for small animations, with a mostly static background (since you can take advantage of non deposited frame data to shrink the file size). Bonus if it loops well. They are awful for scenes.

If I had to give mob psycho 100 a slight wrinkle, it's that I feel there's too much animation sometimes.

Mob psycho 100 fights are, in terms of pacing and actions taken, still very similar to one punch man (overwhelming force that normally leads to an instant win) so a lot of the sweeping camera movements and bombastic effect animation feel like they're stretching out an otherwise simple action.

lolololololololololololololololololol
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

GIF is awful for image quality. Also, it ain't easy making a good, optimised GIF; that's why no one sane does it. It's actually far easier to upload it for a webm, which requires no editing apart from clipping out the bit you want.

GIFs are best for small animations, with a mostly static background (since you can take advantage of non deposited frame data to shrink the file size). Bonus if it loops well. They are awful for scenes.

Well yes but then again, some people can't view webms. It isn't rare that you need a codec to get them running on your lappy, and they are most of time hit and miss on mobile (which is where most folks are these days). Webms are great since they can actually be of pretty high fidelity with a small size. But ultimately that doesn't matter when your iPad can't open them without something like PlayerXtreme.

Cornbread78

Thunderbolt counting or not comes down to whoever if conducting the AotY thread this year.

Who's doing it this year then?

giphy.gif

I'll do it then, mwuhahahaha; time to kill those puppet dreams.

Gvitor

This season has been so good that I barely remember what aired earlier this year.

I'm thinking re:zero will probably take my AOTY. It's not the most original or even most well produced show, but it's the one who was consistently good and kept surprising me every episode, even the build-up ones.

pbayne

Kaleido Star 26

Boy that's a great finale, lovely emotional send-off for the series...wait, there's more?

Tranquilo, finally found a way to watch Nurse Witch Komugi-chan Magikarte. Will it live up to the 2016 series? I don't know but my gut says maybe.

This season has been so good that I barely remember what aired earlier this year.

I'm thinking re:zero will probably take my AOTY. It's not the most original or even most well produced show, but it's the one who was consistently good and kept surprising me every episode, even the build-up ones.

I'm thinking something along those same lines. Although there is still the Fall to go.

Sterok

Maho Girls Precure 31

Battle IN SPAAAACE! Would be cool if the fight was actually good, which it wasn't. And of course the Linkle Stones are already worthless, though it was neat of Rabu to crush the teleport portal. Odd lack of music in some places, though it might've been because this was in space. Otherwise nice despair episode. Riko and Kotoha aren't past their issues yet, but that won't stop them. New Miracle and Magical forms are sweet. Felice is eh. New attack is okay. Never cared for Rabu. And some more trippy stuff happening. I approve. It's magic. There should be weird stuff happening.

Ascheroth

I'm thinking something along those same lines. Although there is still the Fall to go.
My current top 3 are (order of JoJo and Mob Psycho is debatable)
JoJo
Mob Psycho
Re:Zero

While I like Re:Zero a lot, it also has parts I don't like all that much, but am willing to handwave away because of the rest, whereas there isn't a single bad thing I can say about the other 2.

Contenders for the other spots are
Kiznaiver
Thunderbolt Fantasy
Kuromukuro
My Hero Academia
Konosuba

Line_HTX

this post went so goddamn fast after mine (it popped together with mine when the page loaded) that I'm not sure if you're talking to me, lol

Oh no, sorry. That was supposed to be to Copper and Mob Psycho.

Clearly I just woke up. Honestly, I didn't notice your post, haha

Sorry dude, none of that is going be to answered in this 25-episode anime. In fact, many of your questions are still not answered in the web novel. lol.

About your last point, which I don't feel it's a spoiler at all, the anime follows pretty closely to the light novel. I would say it's a pretty good adaptation from the 23 episodes I've watched so far. There are certainly some things that were cut from the light novel but imo, I don't think they are important.
I knew only about the light-novel and manga adaptation, what's the web novel? It goes further?

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Future - 9

This is true despair. Fuck you, Kodaka. I wasn't expecting this.

Hoping for a miracle. Naegi and Kirigiri deserve a happy ending.

That's my take on the final scenes of the series,
she's back to being the fluff on the Tengu's arm for him to lech over. She goes from being one of the most powerful people in Kyoto to one of the most powerless and I find it hard to see that in a positive light. The show makes a point of explaining that she was literally kidnapped solely because the Tengu saw and fancied her while she was walking along beside a lake as a young girl. Beyond Stockholm Syndrome I'm struggling to think of a reason why she should think well of the tengu and having established an independent life for herself why she would return. At the New Year's temple visit we see that she is now wearing a yukata as oposed to her former western style clothing and acting completely differently than before, her clever retorts and word play are replaced by placating the tengu and a wish to meet a man.

The show is trying to play it as a 'prodigal son returns' style reunion but never establishes a basis for her seeing him as a parental figure at all. To my mind the show set up her choosing to cook the tanooki patriarch as being at least in part for his refusal to help her escape the tengu's clutches when she was younger.

ackl

I knew only about the light-novel and manga adaptation, what's the web novel? It goes further?

Yes, the web novel is much farther. It is currently in arc 6 while the light novel is wrapping up on...yup...arc 3. (lol) However, while the overall plot of the web novel is pretty much the same as the light novel (I could be wrong) many people don't treat the web novel as 'canon' since many details get changed in the light novel and this is being done by the original author.

Mob Psycho 109

Another good episode. Not as relentlessly high octane as the last, but it didn't need to be to remain a fantastic production.

Damn, the new PV for Kizu 2 is fantastic.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4rxgbq

The TV anime year 2016 maybe failed to deliver many remarkable anime but the anime movies this year are fantastic.

That Kiss-Shot growing up scene. Shinbou...

And I disagree, there have been a lot of great 2016 TV Anime. I think I have three 10/10 series this year when I had none last year.

Szadek

And I disagree, there have been a lot of great 2016 TV Anime. I think I have three 10/10 series this year when I had none last year.
Really? I have a 10/10 from last year and nothing this year.
I have seen pretty everything pretty much everything I want to see from both years minus a few very long series I'm not into (at least not yet).

Qurupeke

I don't have any 10/10 for 2016 yet, anime was a mistake.

Mob Psycho 109

It had its moments, but the action was much more short than the previous episode. Still, it looked wonderful and it was highly enjoyable, while it maintains it's really good animation even for random scenes. Also, I love the voice they decided to give to Claw's 7th division leader.

Tuck

Mob Psycho - 8
Good episode. Not as action as the last one, but there were still a few awesome scenes.

Burst out laughing during the rematch at the end.

Seriously, great show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom