• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Re:Zero 10

Damn, that must suck to attempt to try and say something but get physically held up by a grip from who he cannot see or know who did it to him, but he uses it as bait to draw out the ones who did the curse.

Re:Zero 11

The turning point at last where Rem's attitude changes, I guess, and we see the origin of the twins, though I don't like this overcompensation.
Thank goodness Roswaal came back and incinerated those damn dogs.

Yes, but you only present the result. Back in 2nd grade that shit gave me a 0 on a math test. Gotta write the whole thing.

I dropped this a while back but did they just continue doing "dish of the week" kind of episodes? The lack of an actual plot other than that just made it boring for me. They had so many cool elements to play with, like the mom's death, how it could be handled with the kid, the teenager's loneliness because of her mother, etc
They've had maybe 1 or 2 episodes where they explored character background and the dead mom has an actual focus, but there aren't that many episodes.

Has anyone posted the outstanding success Makoto Shinkai's movie Your Name is in the Japanese box office? It has earned 3.8 billion yen in 10 days. Well deserved. I saw the premier at Anime Expo, and I can highly, highly recommend everyone to see this movie when it is possible. It was outstanding. I will definitely see it again if it becomes available in the US, which with this success should be guaranteed.

From reddit:
So far this movie is outpacing every animation movie including Disney/Pixar and Ghibli other than Spirited Away(¥4.24 billion) and Howl's Moving Castle(¥4.75 billion). [For the Japanese market]

Cornbread78

Endride ep.20
I'm not sure why they keep skipping weeks of the simulcast (probably because it's pretty bad) but we had a huge reveal this weem that Shun and Emilio
are actually cousins and Delzaine is Shun's birth father. That and Shuns earth father killed Emilio's father
that is all insane to think about and believe.

Sorry DTL, the ship is dead,lol. I think I'm the only one still watching now that DTL is gone..

Now that I think about it, 'canon' is not the right word. I think 'rough draft' would be a better word for it because the author makes alot of changes when the web novel is being made to a light novel. In other words, the LN is the more refined version of the web novel. Sorry for the confusion. lol.

ah ok, I think the misunderstanding for me was that I thought that the web novel and the light novel were from two different authors

Kaiji 1-13
Pretty entertaining how it seems like Kaiji has a handle on the situation only for luck to punch right back in his face and then pick him up again before punching him again. It's pretty amazing how he got out of fully losing on the ship. This human derby arc doesn't quite reach that gambling suspense and seems relatively straightforward focusing on morale rather than wit. Still pretty cool though

Cornbread78

Taboo Tattoo ep.10
God, why is this show so bad? Only a couple episodes left and the story makes absolutely no sense, but hey, we still get a couple of ridiculas pandering scenes each week that are cringe-worthy hat tips to the ridiculously perverse loli loving otaku crowd.

Taboo Tattoo ep.10
God, why is this show so bad? Only a couple episodes left and the story makes absolutely no sense, but hey, we still get a couple of ridiculas pandering scenes each week that are cringe-worthy hat tips to the ridiculously perverse loli loving otaku crowd.

why the fuck are you still watching

Taboo Tattoo 10

This show is stupid and the humor in this episode was strangely placed as per usual. Princess makes a beach video laughing at fat Americans while the the MC crew is going to comiket. But I guess now we're getting somewhere because the MC and his new squeeze have gone full edgelords now in order to beat the Princess.

I hope she fucking kills both of them.

kewlmyc

Taboo Tattoo ep.10

Taboo Tattoo 10

This show is stupid and the humor in this episode was strangely placed as per usual. Princess makes a beach video laughing at fat Americans while the the MC crew is going to comiket. But I guess now we're getting somewhere because the MC and his new squeeze have gone full edgelords now in order to beat the Princess.

I hope she fucking kills both of them.

Is it worse than Big Order though?

Aki-at

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 7

Gosh everyone is such a dick to Shang but he continues to be the MVP of the team, he'd probably slice apart all the zombies if they took any longer.

sonicmj1

Mushishi Zoku Sho 12 - Fragrant Darkness

I've started on the back half of season 2, finally, and when I first started watching this episode I thought I was going to talk about how annoyed I was with the generic "darkness" background that's been showing up in the last three episodes (the first in my memory being the Path of Thorns OVA), which I don't think is very evocative and feels cheap. It would have fit, because I found episode 11 pretty disappointing on the whole.

But then the episode really got going, and it totally blindsided me with how good it was. It took a pretty difficult, ambitious concept and absolutely nailed it. In turns beautiful, moving, and darkly unsettling, it really left me with a lot to think about. There's a comment that the subject of this episode makes, around when Ginko tells him about the mushi at work here, which is a pretty great encapsulation of how hard it is to look back on a life.

God, I love this show.

I've started on the back half of season 2, finally, and when I first started watching this episode I thought I was going to talk about how annoyed I was with the generic "darkness" background that's been showing up in the last three episodes (the first in my memory being the Path of Thorns OVA), which I don't think is very evocative and feels cheap. It would have fit, because I found episode 11 pretty disappointing on the whole.

But then the episode really got going, and it totally blindsided me with how good it was. It took a pretty difficult, ambitious concept and absolutely nailed it. In turns beautiful, moving, and darkly unsettling, it really left me with a lot to think about. There's a comment that the subject of this episode makes, around when Ginko tells him about the mushi at work here, which is a pretty great encapsulation of how hard it is to look back on a life.

God, I love this show.

I said in my impressions of this episode that this was like Endless Eight, but good. The dreamlike tone of this story, with its impressionist circular editing, really appeals to me. I like how we the audience slowly become aware of what's going on just as the main character of this story does.

Of course, I'm such a big Mushishi fan I can't think of any episode that disappointed me. I was fond of the previous episode as well.

Jintor

I wish the show was more of that, with the cooking just being how they all cope with their problems and whatnot. What a shame.

i'm half with you and half not. I don't feel compelled the watch the show because of the lack of an overplot, but when I do eventually get around to it I kinda just feel like all I want is to bathe in the healing cooking and not have to worry about drama

I wish the show was more of that, with the cooking just being how they all cope with their problems and whatnot. What a shame.

You should watch Koufuku Graffiti then.

i'm half with you and half not. I don't feel compelled the watch the show because of the lack of an overplot, but when I do eventually get around to it I kinda just feel like all I want is to bathe in the healing cooking and not have to worry about drama

I don't need angsty drama, but what I don't like about Sweetness and Lightning is how much of every episode is focused on the specific mechanics of cooking. If I wanted to watch someone teach me how to cook, I'd go watch the Food Network.

sonicmj1

I said in my impressions of this episode that this was like Endless Eight, but good. The dreamlike tone of this story, with its impressionist circular editing, really appeals to me. I like how we the audience slowly become aware of what's going on just as the main character of this story does.

I haven't seen Endless Eight, so the parallel that came to my mind was Paradox Spiral. Except that was going for a more sinister effect.

Of course, I'm such a big Mushishi fan I can't think of any episode that disappointed me. I was fond of the previous episode as well.

Disappointing is by Mushishi standards, of course.

I also wasn't very partial to episode 8 of Zoku Sho (the one with the whistling).

Cornbread78

New Game ep.9
Can we just get an official yuri ship already? These managers just keep dancing around it and need to just go all in already, lol. Oh, and panty shots in a game are definately bugs. Also, is that gun crazy manager trying to make Aoba jelly but having her best friend sit next to her and not able to talk to Aoba?

jgminto

I dropped this a while back but did they just continue doing "dish of the week" kind of episodes? The lack of an actual plot other than that just made it boring for me. They had so many cool elements to play with, like the mom's death, how it could be handled with the kid, the teenager's loneliness because of her mother, etc
They've had episodes that focused on developing the father/daughter relationship or exploring how important Tsumugi's mother was to them, the last few episodes were great examples of that. This episode was mostly focused on the pure enjoyment of cooking but otherwise the cooking is usually treated as an emotional cap at the end of the episode.

I haven't seen Endless Eight, so the parallel that came to my mind was Paradox Spiral. Except that was going for a more sinister effect.

Well, it's only like Endless Eight in the basic idea of a time loop.

Disappointing is by Mushishi standards, of course.

I also wasn't very partial to episode 8 of Zoku Sho (the one with the whistling).

I think it's fair to say that some stories are more impactful than others, but the consistent atmosphere each episode sets up never fails to draw me into its world. It scratches an itch few other TV shows do.

Yeah I have been told the same but I always dismissed the show as one of those "cute girls doing cute things" kind of shows. Would I be wrong?

You're not wrong, but it's got sensitive characterization with the spice of some light low-key drama to sell it emotionally. It's not just frivolous comedy.

-Minsc-

Watching the behind the scenes of Thunderbolt Fantasy my brother had a bizarre, yet brilliant, idea. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as puppets. Just think of the glorious poses.

Jintor

I don't need angsty drama, but what I don't like about Sweetness and Lightning is how much of every episode is focused on the specific mechanics of cooking. If I wanted to watch someone teach me how to cook, I'd go watch the Food Network.

Funny, that's what I like about it.

I would legit just watch an animated cooking show.

Of course it would be a tremendous waste of time and money when you could just point a camera at a person, but still.

Watching the behind the scenes of Thunderbolt Fantasy my brother had a bizarre, yet brilliant, idea. Jojo's Bizarre Adventure as puppets. Just think of the glorious poses.
TK31rWp.jpg

ibyea

Banned

God, I love this show.

Yeah definitely one of the standout episode of the season. That ending was dark as hell.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Game ep.9
Can we just get an official yuri ship already? These managers just keep dancing around it and need to just go all in already, lol. Oh, and panty shots in a game are definately bugs. Also, is that gun crazy manager trying to make Aoba jelly but maker her friend sit next to her?

This is a series that doesn't seem to have the compunction to actually pull the trigger.

Cornbread78

This is a series that doesn't seem to have the compunction to actually pull the trigger.

Unfortunately, they do make a cute couple.

New Game ep.10
Poor Hifumi, she just wants to be friends with Aoba, but doesn't understand mean fun and thinks she is being bullied by Aoba, lol. Pretty cute episode.

That had me head scratching as well. While I can see him being prepared for all this and keeping a clear mind to be quite helpful, it felt like too stark of a difference to their previous encounter.

Mob wasn't just caught unawares in the last fight, most of the beating he received was when he was obviously holding back. When he clicked a hundred percent he handled that fool like a doll but his inexperience led him to be downed while his opponent made a swift exit. In this fight he was not holding back one bit, this is mobs full conscious power and he could handle this grunt quite easily. Of course there are stronger espers waiting. Been a while since I read the Manga so I forgot what happens next but I do remember quite a number of battles took place so the next episodes should be awesome
reigen borrowing mobs power should be awesome animated.

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 23

Qsx1CJC.png

Makina teasing and making Mikumo flustered just so they eat together and get her to open up more.

WOW, fucking Roid...
What a fucking secretive degenerate Windermerean that bastard is, using Shibari to tie up Mikumo, what the fuck... He ought to be executed for this.

blurr

Sure. At present, my top 10 of 2015 TV anime would be:

1. Sound! Euphonium
2. Garo the Animation
3. Shounen Hollywood
4. Kagewani
5. Majin Bone
6. Concrete Revolutio
7. Yona of the Dawn
8. Shirobako
9. Koufuku Graffiti
10. Wish Upon the Pleiades

well, I haven't seen most of these - need to add some to my list

The Eccentric Family:

Beautiful anime. Glad I went back to finish it before it got taken down. The art for this show was just breathtaking, the direction was incredible, and above all else, it just had such a sense of pure enjoyment behind the whole show. It's such a bizarre and unique anime, but it's one that I think helped remind me what I love about anime. We need more shows with the craftsmanship and creativity of The Eccentric Family.

blurr

On the latest New Game - I have to say I am guilty of accidentally turning off my PC while playing around near the switch board with my feet :|

thankfully everything I do is automatically saved in the background - THE CLOUD

Jintor

yeah boards with an on-off switch for the entire board are my bane. Good for sleeping at night though so I can turn all my standby lights off in one go

duckroll

Lol. But seriously, there is a true beauty in Shin Godzilla and how Anno shows off his experience as a filmmaker. It's a tight film that knows exactly what it is, is confident as fuck, and probably represents the strongest translation of anime production skills to live action ever. Oshii, eat your heart out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom