• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Increasing Japanese birth rates all on your own Trojita? ;P

Look into these eyes

nRnbeZL.gif

Cornbread78

All I'm trying to give you is some dog hume daughteru's

[/QUOTE]

lol

[img]https://67.media.tumblr.com/2a91bf609a347f3e537d134a7bdbb56a/tumblr_nksxpkAbdu1scr8d9o1_500.gif

Did season 3 go all ecchi and cater to the furry loving otaku crowd? Just saw some umm, interesting images online...

Everything aside from the CG maybe. Japan still doesn't have a CG studio that holds up to ILM or Weta.

I don't anticipate Japan ever having a native CG studio working on Japanese films that is technically on par with those you mention, simply because Hollywood is a more lucrative place to work if you're skilled and want funding. But from what duckroll has said Shin Godzilla's CG is deliberately imitating practical effects of old Godzilla films, so a high level of technical polish is not necessary.

I don't anticipate Japan ever having a native CG studio working on Japanese films that is technically on par with those you mention, simply because Hollywood is a more lucrative place to work if you're skilled and want funding. But from what duckroll has said Shin Godzilla's CG is deliberately imitating practical effects of old Godzilla films, so a high level of technical polish is not necessary.

More like Hollywood is less worse? ;P

I mean, those bigger Hollywood CGI studios are often exploited and that industry still keeps going because there's so many young enthusiasts doing the work for cheap.

Japan does this so well with anime, too, now they just need to do the same there!

phaze

It definitely has some great atmosphere. There's few series I can think of that are as bleak. Texhnolyze is up there as wel

Determination rising.

Casshern Sins 03-04

Blessed be people who can do episodic without lowering themselves to repetitive MotW template.

Checking it now, on top of the visual similarity, NotSeiya is voiced by Seiya too. Which reminds me that when watching Xam'd, Hiruken's emperors voice had me scratching my head as I couldn't recognize him.

There's an interview with Ishidate talking about such masterpieces as Kyoukai no Kanata or Phantom World, in case anybody is interested. Bits of info on responsibilities of episode or series directors too.

---------------

What do you mean by “stapling the key frames”?

Ishidate:
It's a quality check performed by an episode director or a (series) director. When I handed my key frames to Kigami-san, he said, “Good work!” with a smile. Some while later, when he started to check the cut bags, I happened to be sitting right next to him and heard a stapler. Looking at him, he was stapling my key frames!

KyoAni PR person:
The key frames to be used for the animation are left unstapled, while the ones not to be used will be stapled.

Ishidate:
Those stapled key frames are recorded as unused ones.

You explain about directing, making a distinction between “Kantoku”(“series director”) and “Enshutsu” (“episode director”). Are they that different?

“Kantoku”(“series director”) and “Enshutsu” (“episode director”) are different. While “Enshutsu” (an episode director) means directing an episode, “Kantoku” (series director) is rather a role of supervising and commanding the staff's operations, which does not allow him to draw or create by himself. If I want to keep one cut, one scene, or one episode completely under my control, “Enshutsu” (an episode director) makes more sense. I enjoy the roles of both “series director” and “episode director”, but I hope that I can continue to work at least as an episode director.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure! - Ep. 14
Even thougit was "just" a Monster of the Week episode, it was probably one of the best episodes so far.
The story of the 2 sisters was very emotional.

Trojita

That Mob episode was on point. Thought the scene with the guy with whips was just a little rough, but I thought Mob was going to use the whip move
but he just crushed the guy lol.

And he straight up
killed that one guy.

Teru's hair still makes me laugh every time I see him.

Ascheroth

I only have Trails in the Sky and I have hard time making it past the prologue.

The second one I started and just don't have the energy lmao. I think my patience for old school jrpgs is very thin right now. If the length wasn't so daunting it might be a different story.

Finished SC on Monday after 93 hours :p
(Wrote a somewhat lengthy post in the Steam thread if anyone cares)

In short, those games are looooong and it took me multiple breaks until I finished them, but they are so damn great.

Trojita

I'm close to the end of chapter 1 in FC. I'm somehow able to go through with it even if it isn't the most "exciting" thing.

Those battles where they added two NPC's in battle wasting time walking around had me hating the battle system.

Thoraxes

Got Trails of Cold Steel II which will be the best anime thing to come out this year thusly I'm done with anime this season.

Wow, and you have the best taste in objectively best girls from the CS games.

image.php

oh Monaka is something I'd highly recommend, it's my favorite episode
I'll get to it, it's just a matter of when for writing some impressions.
Thoraxes' reviews of eupho are great because I love seeing the perspective of someone who's really into music review it and see if it bs or the creators really know their stuff.

Good stuff dude.

:D

Geist-

So, I'm watching Utena because people keep bringing it up and I wanted to know what the big deal was. Took me a while to get into it, but I'm on 26 now and it's pretty good. One thing though, is it just me or
are there a lot of sexual implications about middle school students in this show? I'm honestly not sure why they didn't just say High School, it would have been a lot less creepy.

So, I'm watching Utena because people keep bringing it up and I wanted to know what the big deal was. Took me a while to get into it, but I'm on 26 now and it's pretty good. One thing though, is it just me or
are there a lot of sexual implications about middle school students in this show? I'm honestly not sure why they didn't just say High School, it would have been a lot less creepy.

It's a show about sexuality, gender, identity and adolescence dude. There's nothing creepy about it.

Geist-

It's a show about sexuality, gender, identity and adolescence dude. There's nothing creepy about it.
I can ignore it for the most part and can still enjoy the show,
but 13-14 is still uncomfortably young for me, especially when they imply adults are having sex with middle school students too.

I have no idea how I timed it so well. I'm basically going through the last few cutscenes in Cold Steel and about to jump straight into the second game on the day it launched. It's perfect.

Jarmel

Banned
Urusei Yatsura-4
zQR94Aq.jpg
sx7VG6U.jpg

This is how you know it's an old show.
jk that line could be in a modern anime
In this episode: the gang crashes a space shuttle, a kid tries to buy booze, one kid tries to murder another one with an axe, and a kid goes on an armed bank robbing spree.

I can ignore it for the most part and can still enjoy the show,
but 13-14 is still uncomfortably young for me, especially when they imply adults are having sex with middle school students too.

The difference is its not done in a leering or exploitative way and the people doing it are the villains.

I couldn't get through chapter 1 of FC because I was sick of spending 75% of my time in inane random battles.

I got to like..Chapter 3? I know its a slow burn but fuck man, Persona 4 moves faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom