• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

It truly has overshadowed the new Godzilla movie though.

This image comes in handy again:
c76.jpg

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The movie isn't even out yet in the West besides the showing at AX. So how are people watching it?
MAL uses Japanse titles because it caters directly to the Japanese audience. Only people deeply ingrained in the culture can use MAL.

Qurupeke

What if it ends up ranking higher than Kizu in the gaf AOTY movie list

Kizu has the problem of having three different movies. If we count them separately, movies like Girls und Panzer or Kimi no na wa, can definitely rank higher. Koe No Katachi too, but I'm not sure if there are enough English screenings by then.

T-Rex.

Banned
Kizu has the problem of having three different movies. If we count them separately, movies like Girls und Panzer or Kimi no na wa, can definitely rank higher. Koe No Katachi too, but I'm not sure if there are enough English screenings by then.
That's what I was thinking, would they be counted separately or as one? Kizu is good but it also kinda ends just as it begins, and it's really just a set-up for the following films so if it's counted separately I personally wouldn't place it above Anthem of the Heart, or GuP. And if Your Name is good then most likely below that and all.

Edit: Just checked and Anthem is 2015? Scratch that one then.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ok, trying to catch up on sports anime series until Haikyuu S3 arrives.

I prefer the (generally) more grounded stuff like Oofuri or Haikyuu than the more..."exaggerated" stuff like in Kuroko or Prince of Tennis.

I'm going with Yowamushi Pedal or Baby Steps next...I'm assuming Yowamushi isn't what I'm looking for? How "bad" does that one get with the overpowered stuff?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

I prefer the (generally) more grounded stuff like Oofuri or Haikyuu than the more..."exaggerated" stuff like in Kuroko or Prince of Tennis.

I'm going with Yowamushi Pedal or Baby Steps next...I'm assuming Yowamushi isn't what I'm looking for? How "bad" does that one get with the overpowered stuff?
Yowamushi is not really super outlandish when it comes to what the bikers can do. Baby Steps is kind of the same, but the self-seriousness of Baby Steps creates a huge dissonance for me because it has almost no regard for how the sport works. Yowamushi is more just wild with its characterizations rather than how it presents the sport, but that gives it a unique flavor.

Line_HTX

I swear, this past Finals I was imagining both teams playing like in Kuroko, even more so in Game 7 where it was deadlocked at 89 for 5 straight minutes in the 4th, lol

Yowamushi doesn't quite get to the level of superpowers that something like Kuroko does, but it steadily moves from something moderately grounded to really crazy stuff. Once you get to the Interhigh in Yowamushi, the series leans really hard into the gimmicks of each character, which effectively reaches the realm of the physically impossible. It also drags out the pacing something fierce, which is especially problematic in a sport where everyone is ostensibly moving forward really fast all the time.

I'd recommend Chihayafuru. 'Karuta' might not be your typical sports but I got actually quite curious about it and the competitiveness is there.

That's what I was thinking, would they be counted separately or as one? Kizu is good but it also kinda ends just as it begins, and it's really just a set-up for the following films so if it's counted separately I personally wouldn't place it above Anthem of the Heart, or GuP. And if Your Name is good then most likely below that and all.

I would count all three Kizu parts as one work. I like to think of these series of sub-hour films as theatrically distributed OVA series - other examples would include Gundam Unicorn and Ghost in the Shell Arise. With Kizumonogatari it's especially obvious that it's meant as a single work, since there's not even an attempt to provide any satisfactory narrative stopping point at the end of individual films.

I'd recommend Chihayafuru. 'Karuta' might not be your typical sports but I got actually quite curious about it and the competitiveness is there.

Chihayafuru is certainly grounded, even if I don't think it's that great at the sports aspect.

XiaNaphryz

Chihayafuru is certainly grounded, even if I don't think it's that great at the sports aspect.

Well, I was able to get through all of the various Saki series. But then again, I like riichi mahjong, even if I'm still not great at playing it!

I don't know that much about karuta, and the little I do know (playing Hanafuda) I've long since forgotten.

Line_HTX

That rugby one One Outs!! is airing next month. Dunno if the play will be exaggerated.

I really wish there was another Eyeshield 21 type.

XiaNaphryz

Surprised there hasn't been a good golf based one.

Would also love to see one based on poker, but that's never happening unless a Japanese player hits it big in the WSOP or something and inspires a manga artist to get obsessed with the game.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tale ep.53
Looks like Happy foubd love at first sight! It's a shame she's a tsundere kitty though, lol. The crew got completely rekt by the dark wizards crew wgen they tried to hunt them down.... pretty badly too... Looks like this arc will be about the new girl Wendy as she appears to have ties with the bad crew.

Thud

That rugby one One Outs!! is airing next month. Dunno if the play will be exaggerated.

I really wish there was another Eyeshield 21 type.

I think you mean All Out!! or ALL OUT!!

The Eyeshield 21 anime wasn't as amazing as the manga. Although it suffered from continuing on longer than it should have.

I have no idea what to expect. Manga is 8 volumes and it ran in a monthly seinen magazine I never heard of.

Cornbread78

Orange ep.11
Dammit Naho, how can you screw it up that badly when you know what's going to happen. You keep freezing under pressure! Go home with him, so he's not alone!

Line_HTX

Would also love to see one based on poker, but that's never happening unless a Japanese player hits it big in the WSOP or something and inspires a manga artist to get obsessed with the game.

Have golf be about Rory McIlroy or something.

Poker just sounds like another gambling one with perfect RNG just to move the plotline along.

Cornbread78

Sweetness and Lightning ep.11
Tsumugi is just yoo damn cute! That Mr. Galigali costume was just icing on the cake of cuteness, lol. Another really cute episode.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Yeah, considering golf is a popular sport, you think there will be anime adaptation of it.

I read a manga about poker before, forgot the title, but i remember there's a player that can hypnotize his opponent, and a man who can read ripple vibration in a glass of water to determine if the opponent bluffing or not.

Then there's other player who can see other player eye reflection to see his cards
Edit: oh right, manga title is 'Poker King'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom