• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

the zettai ryoukai is the area between the socks and the skirt.

it's absolute territory because it is DEFINITELY a place you cannot enter without a peace treaty or intense negotiations beforehand

絶対領海に入ってほしいときは了解が必要だね。

Ah, Japanese polysemy... seriously, it's really funny how you need tens of thousands of ideograms to make sure you aren't mistaking stuff such as "me" with "you" (from kansai, with love), "green" with "blue" (only due to an archaism AFAIK, though) or other equally silly stuff. And don't even get me started on the ridiculous number of readings 上 has, for crying out loud.

Properly localizing characters such as Agasa from Conan that love cracking puns at every opportunity they get is such a pain...

Eumi

Ah, Japanese polysemy... seriously, it's really funny how you need tens of thousands of ideograms to make sure you aren't mistaking stuff such as "me" with "you" (from kansai, with love), "green" with "blue" (only due to an archaism AFAIK, though) or other equally silly stuff. And don't even get me started on the ridiculous number of readings 上 has, for crying out loud.

Properly localizing characters such as Agasa from Conan that love cracking puns at every opportunity they get is such a pain...
My favourite example of untranslatable puns is still 999, where
the big plot twist that the final door isn't a number 9
makes no sense in English, but they just run with it anyway.

Leiru

Sorry i had to post this.

1473863894635.jpg

JulianImp

I just remembered that quiz in Umineko episode eight where they asked you in which floor of a twelve-story building a given company was supposed to be in, and the trick was that the question was なんがい, for which the only possible answer was さんがい, since all the other numbers use かい as the reading for 階.

...Seriously, I pity the people who have to actually localize these kinds of things whenever the pun itself happens to be relevant to the plot and/or the situation at hand.

For those of you not liking funimation streaming platform it looks like they are trying to change that.

Enhanced Video Quality
As we move all of our shows, movies, and OVAs over to the new video platform, we're taking the time to enhance the video quality so you can watch anime the way it was meant to be seen—with crisp, clear lines, vivid colors, and breathtaking animation. See the difference for yourself in this side-by-side comparison video!
there is a comparison video on their site.

http://www.funimationnow.com/?campa...=092016-fn-ordtoextra&utm_content=Aragoto+CTA

Hoping it does really improve like that video and that their streaming is more stable.

Line_HTX

I just remembered that quiz in Umineko episode eight where they asked you in which floor of a twelve-story building a given company was supposed to be in, and the trick was that the question was なんがい, for which the only possible answer was さんがい, since all the other numbers use かい as the reading for 階.

...Seriously, I pity the people who have to actually localize these kinds of things whenever the pun itself happens to be relevant to the plot and/or the situation at hand.

Makes me appreciate the adapted script in FLCL for some scenes that could've been lost in translation.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists ep.23
2Dkt9vn.png

Another good episode with Benio and Rokuro fighting the Kagare and this evil basura above. The episode ended kind of abruptly this time, but it was still really entertaining. Sae-chan's origin is still a mystery, but they kind of gave away the obvious that she actually comes from Megano. It's now a matter of WHAT she is more than anything.

blurr

GAF got blocked at work ow - I was really busy today anyways

They don't though. Most do, but there are plenty who have generic names like "Female Student" or "Tourist" and so on. But even unnamed NPCs have interesting things to say that adds to the flavor of the world.

maybe my memory fails me but yet to come across one

Qurupeke

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 5-10
dygSEWm.jpg

Mrs. Zettai Ryouiki's tip of the day.
If I hear CASTA NO MASTA once more, I'll commit sudoku. It's the second most overused phrase after BAZAKA.

That said, Casta no Masta may be the only new character I like, even though he's a Kirei rip off. But anyway, that Holy Grail War must certainly be a farce. The previous one had some of the world's most important mages, each one with their own ideals, and now it's just kids, minus Kuzuki, and they don't even know what they fight for. Talk about a downgrade.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 036

It says a lot that between the Dictatorship and the corrupt Democracy, the small plutocracy of Phezzan is probably the scummiest of them all.

phaze

Tales of Zestiria 01-04

I might have dismissed this to quickly after the beginnins of the season and the jarring first ep. While the writing so far strikes me as trite, sometimes in extreme, it's still a fairly bearable fantasy tale in a medium with a dearth of those. Ufotable penchant for CG and digital this time struck a bit too hard for me but it's still a show with really high production values.

Tales of Zestiria 05
wut

I mean, I can exchange the previous cast for a female edgelord bent on revenge and especially; a mysterious sorceress with a low cut (genuinely not related but I think it's a first chara design in here I genuinely like) but I've zero clue what' going on, who are these people and how this relates to what came before.

jonjonaug

Aksys tried to fix this by having the rules explained on a written note instead of an audio announcement, but they forgot to change the flashback scene at the end to match.

Cornbread78

Mob Psycho 100 ep.1
PzztBOm.png

I thought I had watched this one before, but I guess not. It was an interesting opening episode with some really lively visuals. Content wise it was alright, but it'll be worth a second episode look.

wut

I mean, I can exchange the previous cast for a female edgelord bent on revenge and especially; a mysterious sorceress with a low cut (genuinely not related but I think it's a first chara design in here I genuinely like) but I've zero clue what' going on, who are these people and how this relates to what came before.

Episode 5-6 were intro episodes to Tales of Berseria. If you don't want to spoil the first hour or so of the games story, then skip to episode 7. They are pretty interesting though and really make me want to play Tales of Berseria ASAP!

Also, the story structure is changed from the game to a better order of events and story PoV. They have done an excellent job creating a more favorable storyline (and pandered to the Japanese crowd pissed that Alisha is non-existent for a majority of the game, lol)

Tales of Zestiria 05

wut

This was a 2 episode special for Berseria(5 and6), so it would explain why you don't know these chacracters. Episode 7 goes back to the original story line.

Woops did not saw Cornbread post my bad.

phaze

Episode 5-6 were intro episodes to Tales of Berseria. If you don't want to spoil the first hour or so of the games story, then skip to episode 7. They are pretty interesting though and really make me want to play Tales of Berseria ASAP!

Also, the story structure is changed from the game to a better order of events and story PoV. They have done an excellent job creating a more favorable storyline (and pandered to the Japanese crowd pissed that Alisha is non-existent for a majority of the game, lol)

This was a 2 episode special for Berseria(5 and6), so it would explain why you don't know these chacracters. Episode 7 goes back to the original story line.

Woops did not saw Cornbread post my bad.

I see, bit bizarre choice but whatever works for them I guess.

Baalzebup

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 5-10

If I hear CASTA NO MASTA once more, I'll commit sudoku. It's the second most overused phrase after BAZAKA.

That said, Casta no Masta may be the only new character I like, even though he's a Kirei rip off. But anyway, that Holy Grail War must certainly be a farce. The previous one had some of the world's most important mages, each one with their own ideals, and now it's just kids, minus Kuzuki, and they don't even know what they fight for. Talk about a downgrade.

The farcical nature of the 5th Grail War is due to the completely fucked up way the 4th War ended. All the big players weren't prepared for the new one coming up that soon after the 4th one. For example, Sakura was supposed to be used to breed the next really powerful Matou whom the old man, Zouken, would then body-snatch and then use that able body to join the next Grail War.
Zouken's messed up.
Heaven's Feel

Qurupeke

The farcical nature of the 5th Grail War is due to the completely fucked up way the 4th War ended. All the big players weren't prepared for the new one coming up that soon after the 4th one. For example, Sakura was supposed to be used to breed the next really powerful Matou whom the old man, Zouken, would then body-snatch and then use that able body to join the next Grail War.

Zouken's messed up.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai licensed Chihayafuru (S1 and S2)
HOUSTON, SEPTEMBER 14, 2016 – Sentai Filmworks is proud to announce its acquisition of both seasons of the shoujo anime series Chihayafuru. The series was directed by Morio Asaka (Cardcaptor Sakura, Chobits, My Love Story!!), with animation production by Madhouse (My Love Story!!, No Game, No Life, One-Punch Man) and was broadcasted in Japan by Nippon TV.

Chihaya Ayase is a beautiful and headstrong young woman with a passion for karuta, a card game inspired by classical Japanese poetry. As a child, Chihaya was introduced to the game by a quiet, gifted transfer student named Arata, and she was instantly drawn to it. Now in high school and reunited with her childhood friend Taichi, Chihaya dreams of finding Arata and the three resuming their love of karuta, only to discover that Arata has quit the game due to personal reasons. Determined not to let Arata’s passion go to waste, Chihaya and Taichi form the Mizusawa High School Karuta Club, where they learn that in karuta - as in life - working toward your dreams is the key to winning, even when what you want seems just out of reach.

The first and second seasons of Chihayafuru will soon be available through select digital outlets, with a home video release to follow.

For Sentai Filmworks’ latest announcements regarding this and other great titles, be sure to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/news/sentai-filmworks-licenses-chihayafuru

Line_HTX

That's lame. The movie should be included in this 10 year anniversary release.

I'm still amazed that its runtime is as long as Inception.

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #23

Still really liking this filler which doesn't even really feel like filler. Rokuro and Benio actually working with an exorcist squad is pretty neat and I hope there's more of that, even though they obviously outclass them. I hope we'll also get some Heavenly Commander action.

Also have some Rokuro pics I'm sure DTL would have liked to post.

Huh, I'd forgotten that the animation gods that are Madhouse did Chihayafuru.

I think Madhouse aren't really considered 'animation gods' anymore since a lot of great talent left over time and has there really been that much of a standout product in terms of visuals by them in recent times?

Chihayafuru is good looking of course, but that's less so due to particularly impressive animation and rather nice art direction and Morio Asaka's direction. I mean, those close-up shots of the eyes of his are always so good!

I think Madhouse aren't really considered 'animation gods' anymore since a lot of great talent left over time and has there really been that much of a standout product in terms of visuals by them in recent times?

Chihayafuru is good looking of course, but that's less so due to particularly impressive animation and rather nice art direction and Morio Asaka's direction. I mean, those close-up shots of the eyes of his are always so good!

Even in Madhouse's glory days, they made a lot of poor TV anime, often heavily outsourced to Korean studios such as Dr Movie. Now that they are no longer a locus for top talent, they certainly are not an "animation god" studio. The best thing visually they've done recently is One Punch Man, and that was because of all the freelance animators Shingo Natsume brought in with the connections he had built up from his years as an animator and his work on Space Dandy. I am looking forward to Natsume's next Madhouse show though, ACCA 13, an adaptation of a manga by Natsume Ono (House of Five Leaves) which looks to have a really attractive art style.

Cornbread78

HxH ep.8
Mwuhahahaha!! So as if this show wasn't bad enough, they now impliment a threesone as a catalyst for a massive power-up. Created from the mind of an ecchi madman.

Trash, pure trash, lol.

DiGiKerot

Is this a repeat of that AllTheAnime showing they had last year with four films back to back?

I'm not aware of AlltheAnime doing anything around MCM time again this year, but Your Name is playing as part of the London Film Festival next month - it's actually a competition film, no less, which I think might actually be a first for an animated movie.

BFI member tickets have been on sale for a bit, but I do believe general sales go up at 1000 tomorrow.

While Crunchyroll hasn't confirmed it themselves, according to Animatsu in the UK they have the home video rights to New Game. I wonder how many more shows they have the home video rights to that we don't know about?

Probably a few - that's why they started looking into getting into home distribution after all (which lead to the whole Funi thing). Current UK market realities mean that it'll probably be offered to AtA, though given recent movements in the US it'll be curious to see if it gets pushed out as a Funi branded product here or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom