• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

I think you mean All Out!! or ALL OUT!!

The Eyeshield 21 anime wasn't as amazing as the manga. Although it suffered from continuing on longer than it should have.

I have no idea what to expect. Manga is 8 volumes and it ran in a monthly seinen magazine I never heard of.

I can't read.

The anime went on longer than it should have? Damn, that sounds like a lot of shounen adaptations that overstayed their welcome.

Show by Rock Short 11

1amFZ0r.jpg

I don't think you're qualified to talk about that line, Rosa.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ok, trying to catch up on sports anime series until Haikyuu S3 arrives.

I prefer the (generally) more grounded stuff like Oofuri or Haikyuu than the more..."exaggerated" stuff like in Kuroko or Prince of Tennis.

I'm going with Yowamushi Pedal or Baby Steps next...I'm assuming Yowamushi isn't what I'm looking for? How "bad" does that one get with the overpowered stuff?

Giant Killing and Ginga e Kickoff are probably the best "grounded" sports anime that come to mind that still focus on the sport but where the characters aren't completely obsessed with it to the point where they have no other aspects to their character development.

I would say shows like Ping Pong and Cross Game are good, but they use the sport to develop characters and the sport itself is incidental. Like you could probably substitute the sport with another sport and the character arcs would basically be the same.

Free is in this weird in between because half of it is basically a genderswapped 4 girls moe show and the other half focuses on the sport, but only because it gives them a reason to show the guys in their swim gear.

Thud

I can't read.

The anime went on longer than it should have? Damn, that sounds like a lot of shounen adaptations that overstayed their welcome.

The anime had filler somewhere. I was referring to the series as a whole though. The damage was one or two arcs, the bit after the christmas bowl, so it's not that bad.

In general a lot of series overstay their welcome, it's not exclusive to the shounen demographic. If there's money to be made, milk it.

MartyStu

Re:Zero 1 - 3

This seems like a decent show. I enjoyed it well enough before it went full shounen near the end of the third episode.

Is this worth the investment?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

This seems like a decent show. I enjoyed it well enough before it went full shounen near the end of the third episode.

I'd say so. It tends to cycle through fantasy horror to dumb shonnen antics back to fantasy horror. Next few episodes will be dumb(but I still felt enjoyable) shonnen stuff and then it's going to swing hard into that horror again. There are some pretty brutal scenes/deaths later in the show, and there is enough world building sprinkled through out to make this so far generic fantasy realm start to stand out. Overall its been a good show and I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Also if you don't like Subaru, don't worry he will always get what's coming to him no matter what.

Personally I'd say no, it isn't worth the investment. There are lots of other shows out there that you could watch and get a more satisfying and complete experience than Re:Zero.

Still, if you found yourself enjoying these episodes, by all means go ahead. Just be warned with this being a LN adaptation you won't be getting the conclusion to a story, but rather a stopping point.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Have golf be about Rory McIlroy or something.

Poker just sounds like another gambling one with perfect RNG just to move the plotline along.

Nah, there's enough skill involved (especially at higher levels of play) that RNG-related skills/superpowers doesn't need to be a major factor. Especially if it's focused on tournament play - you can win with good reads and the right moves regardless of the cards you hold.

I haven't played cards in a long while...I should head to a cardroom at some point. And Poker-GAF died a couple years back after the whole Black Friday mess with online poker in the US. :(

Kaiji's current season is poker, though it's also a game of death (kind of), so yeah.

Nah, I'm thinking more professional tour type of poker. Trying to win tournaments with the occasional cash game on the side.

Fafner Exodus 4

This episode really drives home how superior Exodus is in storytelling to the original Fafner series. I don't want all my Exodus impressions to be about comparing the two shows, but it really is one of the more unusual quality curves I've seen for an ongoing narrative. At this point the story is stuffed with characters, and it can be hard to keep track of everyone. On the other hand even minor characters, such as the parents of the new generation Fafner pilots focused on in this episode, are given a lot of life by their actions. Pretty much every scene is rich in characterization, and despite the large cast no one feels pulled straight from a book of anime stereotypes. For instance, Leo's father telling him about meeting his wife while studying engineering in Belgium right before the Festum war broke out, and passing on a sword inscribed with the Belgian coat of arms - that's a short scene packed with unique detail. This sort of thing helps build my investment in wherever the story will go from here.

I was also amused with how this episode played with exposition conventions, when Canon was all ready to instruct the newbies in the Fafner basics but was instead embarrassed by the hot-shot genius anticipating all her explanations and talking over her. That turns conventional exposition into a teasing revelation about character dynamics.

Cornbread78

I'd say so. It tends to cycle through fantasy horror to dumb shonnen antics back to fantasy horror. Next few episodes will be dumb(but I still felt enjoyable) shonnen stuff and then it's going to swing hard into that horror again. There are some pretty brutal scenes/deaths later in the show, and there is enough world building sprinkled through out to make this so far generic fantasy realm start to stand out. Overall its been a good show and I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. Also if you don't like Subaru, don't worry he will always get what's coming to him no matter what.

Lol, pretty good summary. The show is definately it's own experience and well worth it in my opinion.

MartyStu

Re:Zero 4 - 7

I am both impressed and bewildered by the decisions that Generic Protag #392 commits himself to. Still, this show has managed not to descend too deeply into the valley of shounen-trash.

From comments I have seen here and elsewhere, that will not be lasting for very much longer...

Edit: Yikes. Should have finished episode 7 first.

Thud

Couldn't sleep, so I just finished the second novel of LOTGH: Ambition. So good.gif

Have to wait till december for volume 3 :(
Well the translation is pretty awesome so it's par for the course.

As for the new LOTGH project, it's been awfully quiet hasn't it?

Wanderer5

Bleh it is getting close to being a week after the Crunchyroll and Funimation partnership, and still no Psycho-Pass on CR (nor Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash) despite being said to release last Thursday alongside Cowboy Bebop. A bit disappointing now.

zulux21

Re:Zero 4 - 7

I am both impressed and bewildered by the decisions that Generic Protag #392 commits himself to. Still, this show has managed not to descend too deeply into the valley of shounen-trash.

From comments I have seen here and elsewhere, that will not be lasting for very much longer...

Edit: Yikes. Should have finished episode 7 first.

since you are this far, just try to last to episode 15 :p best anime episode in a long time.

That rugby one One Outs!! is airing next month. Dunno if the play will be exaggerated.

I really wish there was another Eyeshield 21 type.

I have some good news for you.
the creator of eyeshield 21 is working on a new manga.

I have some bad news if you are a one punch man fan though.
that means he has a lot less time to work on his version of one punch man :(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It played at AnimeExpo a few months ago (I chose to skip seeing it there to go see Flow play instead. Feel I made the correct choice). It's also playing in London and Scotland next month ahead of a wider UK release.

Is this a repeat of that AllTheAnime showing they had last year with four films back to back?

Line_HTX

someone animate kyonko-chan plz

That exploding fad fizzled and died so fast no one even remembers it anymore.

Nah, there's enough skill involved (especially at higher levels of play) that RNG-related skills/superpowers doesn't need to be a major factor. Especially if it's focused on tournament play - you can win with good reads and the right moves regardless of the cards you hold.

I haven't played cards in a long while...I should head to a cardroom at some point. And Poker-GAF died a couple years back after the whole Black Friday mess with online poker in the US. :(

Nah, I'm thinking more professional tour type of poker. Trying to win tournaments with the occasional cash game on the side.

Intense zoom in on the eyes during good reads and over the top right moves at the river card while doing ridiculous poses.

Jintor

i remember it. it was pretty good, but it also struck a weird waifu line i wasn't entirely comfortable with. (Though the best fan comic I saw actually explored that discrepency... and then it got weird)

Marty is mistaking Subaru's playful interactions with Betty and the way he is acting around Rem and Ram(
as a means of not dying and discovering why he's dying
) and the introduction of the ruler candidates as waifu baiting and they aren't presented in that way they never interact with Subaru in that way except for Rem.

Cornbread78

Zettai waifu ryouki.

It seriously isn't a harem, even though I loathe how the Rem>Subaru>Emilia triangle gets shoved down your throat in the last couple episodes.

lololol
I had to Google that and got a good chuckle. I forgot they named stupid crap like that.
R7j8JxH.jpg

Well, if nothing else, I found the perfect image for TUSR on this subject:

AInzpL7.jpg

Qurupeke

Flying Witch 2

I guess this is still OK. The character art can't really keep up with the photography.

Hmm, I should get back on that too, I don't want to completely drop it. "It's okay" fits just perfectly to it as there's nothing that really stands out. Some funny instances and it also had some good background art, but overall I found it hard to like it as much as others.

Line_HTX

Marty is mistaking Subaru's playful interactions with Betty and the way he is acting around Rem and Ram(
as a means of not dying and discovering why he's dying
) and the introduction of the ruler candidates as waifu baiting and they aren't presented in that way they never interact with Subaru in that way except for Rem.

This. I don't recall any sort of baiting except Rem and for the most part he is only head over heels for Emilia when he's not
struggling to figure out why and when he's dying.

I feel like he went into it looking for "something" to hate. Unless it is like Sabre said, I struggle to see how there is any pandering of that sort. Because there are girls and he talks to them?

Line_HTX

Hmm, I should get back on that too, I don't want to completely drop it. "It's okay" fits just perfectly to it as there's nothing that really stands out. Some funny instances and it also had some good background art, but overall I found it hard to like it as much as others.

I treat it as a show to not think much about anything but the rural countryside and the relaxing OST and the acoustic guitar. There's really not much, just go at your own pace type.

Honestly, it's been a long while since I've seen a show that's like this. It's a nice comfy break, haha

JulianImp

lololol
I had to Google that and got a good chuckle. I forgot they named stupid crap like that.
R7j8JxH.jpg

The best part is it means "absolute territory", and AFAIK that's what the AT stands for in Evangelion's in AT fields. How that would come to mean high socks over time is completely beyond me.

Jintor

The best part is it means "absolute territory", and AFAIK that's what the AT stands for in Evangelion's in AT fields. How that would come to mean high socks over time is completely beyond me.

the zettai ryoukai is the area between the socks and the skirt.

it's absolute territory because it is DEFINITELY a place you cannot enter without a peace treaty or intense negotiations beforehand

絶対領海に入ってほしいときは了解が必要だね。

I really dislike the OP, because the green outlines on the characters look ugly. Such a baffling decision.

Oh that outline certainly is ugly. It's rather that the song grew on me and I like it when the walk cycles sync up so nicely. Clapping is quite alright, too.

But yeh, that green outlining is terribad.

Oh and just gave the full track a listen on youtube which has some awful dubstep crap at around 1:45. What a pity :/

Clov

While Crunchyroll hasn't confirmed it themselves, according to Animatsu in the UK they have the home video rights to New Game. I wonder how many more shows they have the home video rights to that we don't know about?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While Crunchyroll hasn't confirmed it themselves, according to Animatsu in the UK they have the home video rights to New Game. I wonder how many more shows they have the home video rights to that we don't know about?

UK rights for New Game already and yet we are still Mitsudomoe-less.

Bad justice!

Clov

UK rights for New Game already and yet we are still Mitsudomoe-less.

Bad justice!

I should have been more clear; Animatsu in the UK said that Crunchyroll had the home video rights, not that Animatsu had the UK video rights. As far as I know, nobody has the UK rights to New Game.

i remember it. it was pretty good, but it also struck a weird waifu line i wasn't entirely comfortable with. (Though the best fan comic I saw actually explored that discrepency... and then it got weird)

Doesn't get weirder than
pseudo-selfcest?

I think my outright favorite fan-thing related to Haruhi (besides Churuya-san which got canonized by the webshort) is Kandanchi's little webcomic about
Kyon and Haruhi going through college life as a couple

I wish I could bring myself to get the Funimation BD set, but the knowledge that the 2006 episodes are upscales and already owning it all on DVD during the Bandai run already (and Disappearance in Japanese AND North American BD) has made this big box redundant. Got other things to buy with that sorta money.
Like Japanese Persona 5.

Jintor

Doesn't get weirder than
pseudo-selfcest?

I think my outright favorite fan-thing related to Haruhi (besides Churuya-san which got canonized by the webshort) is Kandanchi's little webcomic about
Kyon and Haruhi going through college life as a couple

yo what that? link me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom