• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Rem is love Rem is life. Newtype rankings for males is always been trash. If it's not Jesus Kira Yamato then it's Gary Stu Kirito. Didn't Lacus stayed in the female rankings for a long time also?

If they're really going to cover the final Red V.S. Blue fight again I hope they spend more time on the fight instead of just fast forwarding to Charizard V.S. Blastoise like they did in Origins.

Other than that, it'll be super cool seeing stuff with all the other villains. A series of shorts seems like a good idea to cover all generations.

First episode is this Friday at 9 AM Pacific.

Line_HTX

Hmm, upon looking at that ranking page further, the Top 10 shows section is actually pretty decent. No surprise that Re:Zero is #1, but wow, Your Name at #2 is really something if it's pulling better than Monogatari, Love Live Sunshine, Jojo's, and Iron Blooded Orphans respectively. Interesting and neat to see New Game come in at #8. Pleasantly surprised at Macross Delta on #3, yeah~

Your Name is making all the money in such a short amount of time too.

If they're really going to cover the final Red V.S. Blue fight again I hope they spend more time on the fight instead of just fast forwarding to Charizard V.S. Blastoise like they did in Origins.

Other than that, it'll be super cool seeing stuff with all the other villains. A series of shorts seems like a good idea to cover all generations.

First episode is this Friday at 9 AM Pacific.

It's a bunch of shorts so I'm hoping this means they can go all out and make them as good as possible.

Are the episodes going up on their YouTube channel?

Deadly

Mkay, what would be better to watch over Delta from this season then?
Kuromukuro has been running alongside Delta and has been alot better. Alderamin in the Sky and Thunderbolt Fantasy from this season are both more fun to watch. Not exactly from this season but Dragonball Super is another I've been enjoying more.

I'm also waiting on ReZero, Shoukugeki no Soma S2 and Mob Psycho 100 to end so I can blitz those and just based on comments in the thread all three are better received than Delta. ReZero could be debatable but it at least seems like a very interesting watch...

Line_HTX

I'm waiting for Kuromukuro to be finished so I can go through that one. Alderamin and Thunderbolt Fantasy are good gems, so I'm with you there.

I guess I'm enjoying Delta more than others, I dunno. I don't think it's unwatchable.

Qurupeke

I was certain Delta would be better than Frontier, but yeah, it was a bit disappointing after 13. I really liked the group of idols aspect of it though.

Episode 24 spoilers:
But fuck that emotional manipulation with all those death flags...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
the only way she is perfection is if you are doing a class on how not to design a character's personality. As she is basically perfection on how to make a horrible character.

she is nothing but a cliche surrounded with other cliches that actually have some actual depth to them and are millions upon millions of times more interesting than her.

I really don't figure soma will end up with anyone (romance really isn't his thing) but I would take him ending up with pretty much anyone over her. I don't think there is a worse female than her. There is at least a single worse male though :p

A lot of people seem to really cling to terrible character tropes and/or character development (assuming there is any to begin with) though.

See Persona 4 as a prime example!

pbayne

On Macross-i remember after finishing the original and plus i thought "i bet going forward they'll double down and focus more and more on the singing aspect and as a result things will get dumber and dumber, the shows will be used as a vehicle for whatever CD they have to push and characters will get shafted as a result".

And im about half way through Macross 7 and yeah thats sort of happened. Its still fairly enjoyable and i like Basara, Gamlin and co but fuck there's no need for Basara to sing every week. I liked how natural and interwoven into the story it was in the original but in 7 it gets really obnoxious and tiring to have to listen to the same songs all the time.

Plus it(7) is very boring in its action structure which is essentially the same thing every week(especially when i compare it to City Hunter which has had incredible variety so far).

^And by the looks of things Frontier and Delta are way worse in that regard. Welp.

Ascheroth

I'm waiting for Kuromukuro to be finished so I can go through that one. Alderamin and Thunderbolt Fantasy are good gems, so I'm with you there.

I guess I'm enjoying Delta more than others, I dunno. I don't think it's unwatchable.

I don't think it's anywhere near unwatchable, but I certainly haven't been enjoying the second half as much as the first. For all the great moments
Mikumo activating the ruins, Hayate going 'berserk' due to Freyas songs, the scene with Freya and Cassim, Mirage shittalking Hayate and Freya to get them to snap out of it
you also have some really bad moments. Like, everytime I think of Delta now, the first thing I think of is episode 15 which immediately makes me angry because 90% of that episode were complete and utter shit. I don't think I've ever watched something that annoyed and bored me so much in less then 5 minutes that I just scrubbed through the rest of it (until the bit at the end, which was good) and don't think I've missed anything worth my time.

blurr

New Game 10

First of all, I love that they replaced the OP with a "fictional" game trailer that looks convincing enough to be the next Etrian Odyssey game trailer. Very good job there, I had no idea I was witnessing the OP.

TGS event was brief, I had hoped it would be longer but okay. I was surprised to see Hifumi cosplaying and come to think of it, she did mention it in one of the episodes.

Nenecchi leaving was somewhat touching (because I just had increased levels of anxiety and had a similar day(s) at work).

Line_HTX

I don't think it's anywhere near unwatchable, but I certainly haven't been enjoying the second half as much as the first. For all the great moments
Mikumo activating the ruins, Hayate going 'berserk' due to Freyas songs, the scene with Freya and Cassim, Mirage shittalking Hayate and Freya to get them to snap out of it
you also have some really bad moments. Like, everytime I think of Delta now, the first thing I think of is episode 15 which immediately makes me angry because 90% of that episode were complete and utter shit. I don't think I've ever watched something that annoyed and bored me so much in less then 5 minutes that I just scrubbed through the rest of it (until the bit at the end, which was good) and don't think I've missed anything worth my time.

I understand that. I didn't like 15 also, as I thought it was a little contrived. But I don't think it was that much of a dealbreaker. Hell, I thought 19 and 21 was a better exposition and had more believable stuff than 15 which I don't think made me any more sympathetic. I just think that Delta as a whole doesn't have as many bad moments after 15, and while there may have been a little less action scenes, I think you're being a little too harsh on it.

duckroll

That and there are so many little details that I found impressive for something that doesn't seem as high budget as a, let's Witcher. For instance how you can select party members for exploration, and how the dialog changes according to the ones that are present. Not only is it done brilliantly amongst the main characters, but even with NPCs, which will REMEMBER characters that were present in the past and react accordingly. One step deeper is when an NPC recognizes a character, and there is ANOTHER character that was present as well and is able to chime in. It's fucking brilliant, and the writing doesn't feel disjointed one bit, making for what I believe was a coding nightmare of 'if conditions' that are triggered based on past, present and future events amongst the party and the world.

Falcom's mastery of triggers scripting in Trails is legendary. It's really insane how they keep track of totally mundane stuff that doesn't change the game's story but really makes the experience more personal and rewarding. In the same way, I found that it was the little things in Mass Effect games which I really enjoyed. Even in the last game when the main plot was a shitshow, the interactions with party members and NPCs, and the game actually remembering certain things I've done throughout the series, made it so worthwhile. Trails is just 10x that everywhere, with much more focus.

Another thing I really, really, really, really love about Trails is how they can build works which revolve around themselves. Even with huge stakes and the world facing extinction from a super evil organization, playing the actual games never feel like everything exists just to serve you. Towns don't exist just for you to visit and talk to just the people you need to, and buy just what you need. Not only do NPCs all have their own little lives to live, but there are ongoing stories across multiple games of just people living their lives and if you care to follow their stories you learn a little bit more about the world. The same thing applies to shops, quests, and side events. There is just so much optional non-essential stuff everywhere that simply have nothing to do with the main narrative, and that makes the world and the setting feel so much larger and richer.

Ascheroth

I understand that. I didn't like 15 also, as I thought it was a little contrived. But I don't think it was that much of a dealbreaker. Hell, I thought 19 and 21 was a better exposition and had more believable stuff than 15 which I don't think made me any more sympathetic. I just think that Delta as a whole doesn't have as many bad moments after 15, and while there may have been a little less action scenes, I think you're being a little too harsh on it.

I mean I still like it overall, just not as much as the first half.

JulianImp

Ah, the love for agency-deprived females whose existence revolves entirely around the MC is pretty real, but I guess that's to be expected if we're talking popularity. Subaru's definitely gotta protect the smile... while he keeps making her do whatever he needs her to do in order to get Emilia or something.

Shipping feels like such a vicious pitfall for writing fiction... at this rate, I don't want the MC to end up with neither Rem nor Emilia, because both are actually by-the-book "you were the first to truly show me kindness" crushes that delve far too deep into completely unexplainable and dumb behavior under the childish guise of love.

And there's an apparent lack of Nadeko.

Nadeko has already done her thing, and has gone back to her home planet a long time ago. She probably died on the way there.

It was cool while it lasted, though.

Line_HTX

Wow, what the fuck... Mikumo is ranked lower than Emilia, Freyja, Mumei, and fucking Saber...

Shit rankings confirmed. At least Mikumo is better than Asuna.

JulianImp

I heard the latest LN has a lot of Nadeko. I'll wait until its adaptation!

That could be good. Or bad.

Actually, Nadeko's biggest contribution to the series wasn't breaking the moe girl mold during the medusa arc in retrospect, but actually the fact that her ascent to godhood prompted the Hitagi End arc, which was amazing in that it really fleshed out Gahara's past with Kaiki, as well as developing the latter's character a whole lot in pretty interesting ways.

...And all this reminds me I've got to research which LNs I should get to see what happens after Koyomimonogatari.

duckroll

Worth mentioning that every single NPC has a unique name haha.

They don't though. Most do, but there are plenty who have generic names like "Female Student" or "Tourist" and so on. But even unnamed NPCs have interesting things to say that adds to the flavor of the world.

Falcom's mastery of triggers scripting in Trails is legendary. It's really insane how they keep track of totally mundane stuff that doesn't change the game's story but really makes the experience more personal and rewarding. In the same way, I found that it was the little things in Mass Effect games which I really enjoyed. Even in the last game when the main plot was a shitshow, the interactions with party members and NPCs, and the game actually remembering certain things I've done throughout the series, made it so worthwhile. Trails is just 10x that everywhere, with much more focus.

Another thing I really, really, really, really love about Trails is how they can build works which revolve around themselves. Even with huge stakes and the world facing extinction from a super evil organization, playing the actual games never feel like everything exists just to serve you. Towns don't exist just for you to visit and talk to just the people you need to, and buy just what you need. Not only do NPCs all have their own little lives to live, but there are ongoing stories across multiple games of just people living their lives and if you care to follow their stories you learn a little bit more about the world. The same thing applies to shops, quests, and side events. There is just so much optional non-essential stuff everywhere that simply have nothing to do with the main narrative, and that makes the world and the setting feel so much larger and richer.

Yeah I played FC a long time ago, haven't touched SC yet. I played Y's games before but none of them compare to good old lengthy RPGs such as this with tons of NPCs. I thought it was pretty impressive and this series is proof that in order for a game to really be good, visuals and whatnot aren't that important. As a software development student, under the hood, these games are definitely labyrinths of conditions that I would easily get lost in. Not mention the sheer amount of text that they put into the game when triggers pop. Most of which the average end user will never even see. Everyone gets to have their own little personalized social interaction with Class VII, and that's awesome. I look forward to playing Persona 5 and seeing whether their social tree manages to topple these two games over in some way. I strongly believe Cold Steel is more mechanically complex than Persona 4 Golden, but that should be a given since Persona 4 is kind of an old game.

duckroll

Persona won't compare to Trails at all because they're designed totally differently. Trails is designed to be a personalized experience such that you cannot see everything in one playthrough and events you have missed or that went a certain way are intended to stay that way for good. Persona is designed to be more of an ongoing buffet where there are tons of choices and you might not be able to see them all in a single playthrough but there isn't anything stopping you other than the limitation of time.

For example, social links in Persona don't change or expire with time, they only progress on fixed levels as you do them. So picking one social link over another for a given day doesn't exclude you from seeing the others, since they are not date exclusive. Trails on the other hand has unique events and NPC dialogue for -every- time slice in the game. Once you have progressed in time, the game acknowledges this and anything you missed out on in that time slice is gone forever.

I doubt Persona 5 is designed with a different philosophy, so there's little point in comparing them when the design foundation is so different. Cold Steel borrows heavily from Persona in terms of presentation and progression structure, but in everything else and the details that matter, it is a Trails game through and through.

Ascheroth

Yeah I played FC a long time ago, haven't touched SC yet. I played Y's games before but none of them compare to good old lengthy RPGs such as this with tons of NPCs. I thought it was pretty impressive and this series is proof that in order for a game to really be good, visuals and whatnot aren't that important. As a software development student, under the hood, these games are definitely labyrinths of conditions that I would easily get lost in. Not mention the sheer amount of text that they put into the game when triggers pop. Most of which the average end user will never even see. Everyone gets to have their own little personalized social interaction with Class VII, and that's awesome. I look forward to playing Persona 5 and seeing whether their social tree manages to topple these two games over in some way. I strongly believe Cold Steel is more mechanically complex than Persona 4 Golden, but that should be a given since Persona 4 is kind of an old game.
The Ys games are different but great as well. And they certainly can be long if you want to. I have more hours in Oath in Felghana than Trails FC, lol.

I'd really like to see a diagram of all the trigger conditions.

Persona won't compare to Trails at all because they're designed totally differently. Trails is designed to be a personalized experience such that you cannot see everything in one playthrough and events you have missed or that went a certain way are intended to stay that way for good. Persona is designed to be more of an ongoing buffet where there are tons of choices and you might not be able to see them all in a single playthrough but there isn't anything stopping you other than the limitation of time.

For example, social links in Persona don't change or expire with time, they only progress on fixed levels as you do them. So picking one social link over another for a given day doesn't exclude you from seeing the others, since they are not date exclusive. Trails on the other hand has unique events and NPC dialogue for -every- time slice in the game. Once you have progressed in time, the game acknowledges this and anything you missed out on in that time slice is gone forever.

I doubt Persona 5 is designed with a different philosophy, so there's little point in comparing them when the design foundation is so different. Cold Steel borrows heavily from Persona in terms of presentation and progression structure, but in everything else and the details that matter, it is a Trails game through and through.

Well if anything, although I hope CSII brings closure to this particular arc, that if and when they decide that CSIII is a go on consoles only, that they use the extra juice to make the game look pretty while using these same characters. The sheer complexity for the scripting and story is all there already on much weaker consoles (shoutout to the PSP/VITA). Your back end is nice and tight, so now make that front end shine with beautiful visuals. Imagine how glorious that would be. I mean don't get me wrong, Cold Steel looks fine and all, specially considering how they weren't really adept at making free-camera games when they developed these. And imagine if they voiced every single line for that game. Seeing how much effort they put into these, I could honestly see them doing it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shinkai officially the next Miyazaki.

Dem rankings.

Dat exposure.

DiGiKerot

Is it airing outside of Japan somewhere or are people rating it based off hype or something?

It played at AnimeExpo a few months ago (I chose to skip seeing it there to go see Flow play instead. Feel I made the correct choice). It's also playing in London and Scotland next month ahead of a wider UK release.

I'd presume MAL have a big enough user base that a certain percent of people are actually seeing it in Japan, though.

-edit- I'm seeing it next month, but the only Shinkai thing I actually like is Place Promised in Our Early Days. I guess Garden of Words was OK, but Children who Chase Lost Voices puts me to sleep, and I thought the writing in 5cm was beyond tortuous. I have noooooo idea how I'm going to end up taking the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom