• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.17
latest
Susaku, now you've been found out... It's gonna be one hell of a monent when Lelouch has to kill you in battle. I mean, Lelouch has already lost it... that laugh!

Penguindrum is probably one of my 5 or so favorite anime ever, and I would absolutely love to purchase a version to own even just to show my general support for the series and have it on hand at all times, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy that piece of shit release.

That show deserved so much better.

Clov

Penguindrum is probably one of my 5 or so favorite anime ever, and I would absolutely love to purchase a version to own even just to show my general support for the series and have it on hand at all times, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy that piece of shit release.

That show deserved so much better.

It really did. I'm hoping that years from now, Sentai's license will expire and some other company (like Discotek) would pick it up and give it the release it deserves.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.18-19

So these episodes were pretty fun. No big reveals on CC or her power, but the princess knows Lelouch's identity now and Kallen is known by the enemy as well. Some decent action and Kallen fanservice mixed in as well. Oh yeah, Princess' big bro shows up to save the day. Is ge another "evil" one?

is this the general anime thread?

my wife and I hear nothing but good things about Soul Eater. We watched episode 1 just now and it was fucking terrible. Like top 3 worst episodes of anything I've ever seen, not just anime. What is good about this show and how many episodes would be fair for me to watch before deciding to quit or keep going?

side note: I've seen people cosplaying these characters for years, now I finally know who they are.

Clov

Did Sentai just stop doing extras altogether?

Outside of Aniplex releases, they were the only company who gave a shit about Japanese features on discs.

The Sentai discs I have are generally devoid of special features, asides from the OVAs or short episodes that their releases occasionally get.

my wife and I hear nothing but good things about Soul Eater. We watched episode 1 just now and it was fucking terrible. Like top 3 worst episodes of anything I've ever seen, not just anime. What is good about this show and how many episodes would be fair for me to watch before deciding to quit or keep going?

side note: I've seen people cosplaying these characters for years, now I finally know who they are.

Honestly it was the first anime I watched outside of it being just another "cartoon". Sure I watched anime when I was young, but never categorized it differently. Maybe it's because I watched it so long ago when it was airing, but the fights, the music, the characters, the world... Everything about it was just awesome. I'll let you know though, the anime ending was kind of... Eh. I moved on to the manga, since it kept going for a while after the last episode.

Where have you been hearing nothing but good things about Soul Eater? MyAnimeList?

Honestly it was the first anime I watched outside of it being just another "cartoon". Sure I watched anime when I was young, but never categorized it differently. Maybe it's because I watched it so long ago when it was airing, but the fights, the music, the characters, the world... Everything about it was just awesome. I'll let you know though, the anime ending was kind of... Eh. I moved on to the manga, since it kept going for a while after the last episode.

This was basically me with Fairy Tail four years ago. Except I knew full well what anime was at the time, lol.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 32

Mitsuki is a pure angel that this world does not deserve. Seriously, Madoka did nothing to deserve Mitsuki's sympathy. She wears her mask very well, but at the same time she is really easy to see through. Gucchan is her true hero though. Hopefully Full Moon and Madoka get a collaboration song down the road.

Jintor

wow really? You haven't watched enough bad stuff if you think the beginning of Soul Eater is top 3 worst episodes of anything. I mean I wouldn't claim it's amazing or anything but there's some inklings of some Persona-esque style to it, it's pretty fuckin' weird and Laura Bailey in the dub is excellent. Naked catgirls aside.

That said if you didn't like it at first glance I don't think there's anything for you with SE. It's a decent shonen that goes off the rails around 30 episodes in because the animation studio needed to put out an original ending.

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 22

So whatever this special "power" that Yume has is, it's the same as or similar to some power Hime has, or at least the show is heavily implying. So I'm not sure why Headmaster is hell bent on stopping her since HIme...is doing pretty damn well. She had the nightmare flashback about having a coughing fit on stage, but other that that, she's the top idol at the school who's albums sell in the millions. And she seems to be in on that Yume has this power and doesn't seem intent on stopping her; quite the opposite actually, she's encouraging her and helping her out.

So...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thud

Are you sure you haven't watched the last episode.

CHEER BOYS 6

I really like the dynamic between the characters here and how each help push the others beyond their problems gradually.

This is really one my favourite this season! Also yet again Haru is best boy!

Also what is this about early Soul eater being bad? That's having terrible taste don't say that. Also it probably means that shonen type shows are not for you.

omg, thanks for the honest answers, lol. I have a few friends irl who strongly recommended the series to me, plus the Netflix rating is 4.5/5 stars. I've never heard a single bad thing about Soul Eater.

and yes, it's honestly one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen. I'm usually good with what I choose to watch so it's not often bad. I have watched Lost and BSG though, some of those episodes, woof

Baalzebup

Code Geass ep.18-19

So these episodes were pretty fun. No big reveals on CC or her power, but thr princess knows Lelouch's idenity now and Kallen is known by the enemy as well. Sobe decebt action and Kallen fanservice mixed in as well. Oh yeah, Princess' big bro shows up to save the day. Is ge another "evil" one?

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to your impressions on the coming madness.

This was basically me with Fairy Tail four years ago. Except I knew full well what anime was at the time, lol.

I remember watching Pokemon, Digimon, Doraemon, Beyblade, Yu-gi-oh, Evangelion, Detective Conan, Shin-chan... Plus a lot more that I am just not remembering at a very, very young age. Like From 5 to 12 or so years of age. I watched a shitload of anime, it was all dubbed too. But again, all of it was cartoons to me. It was when I moved to Canada at 14 that I learned that all of these shows that I loved were "anime". I googled something akin to "best current anime" and Soul Eater was on that list. I ended up watching that and Code Geass as it aired. That's where it all began for me.

Cornbread78

Soredemo ep.9
soremachi-ep09-001.jpg

Lol, that match... Sanada's comments as they stare into the sunset after the girls ping pong game were priceless. The rainbow cookie this was ok, but pretty drawn out..

Clov

Soul Eater was a cute show. I actually cosplayed as Crona at a small con a few years back. It was one of the first cosplays I did where I was really proud of how it turned out. So while the show itself is far from amazing, I have some good memories relating to it.

Chase17

Kabaneri 01
Good so far. I was going to be a bit mad if Ikomo had the power to become one of the zombie things, but instead he has healing powers/tech which I'm ok with.

Biggest megaton is that the Amazon video player has a cheat sheet pop up with character's picture/name when you move the mouse/pause.

I think Madhouse aren't really considered 'animation gods' anymore since a lot of great talent left over time and has there really been that much of a standout product in terms of visuals by them in recent times?

Chihayafuru is good looking of course, but that's less so due to particularly impressive animation and rather nice art direction and Morio Asaka's direction. I mean, those close-up shots of the eyes of his are always so good!

Wasn't One Punch Man made by madhouse?

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 33

The fated day draws closer and closer. The cancer may be slowed, but it will not stop. It's hard to watch as Mitsuki's little joys outside her secret life dwindle with the ongoing illness. She tries so hard, but it's not going to be enough. Meroko is concerned with shortening or extending Mitsuki's life. For whatever it's worth, she remembers her job. But does Takuto? I must admit, I didn't like Grandma early on, mostly for the hating music thing. But they did do a good job showing the tragedy music has brought to her life, so I get her sadness whenever it goes up. She's already lost her daughter, and her granddaughter is probably going to die before her as well. Not easy to deal with.

I remember watching Pokemon, Digimon, Doraemon, Beyblade, Yu-gi-oh, Evangelion, Detective Conan, Shin-chan... Plus a lot more that I am just not remembering at a very, very young age. Like From 5 to 12 or so years of age. I watched a shitload of anime, it was all dubbed too. But again, all of it was cartoons to me. It was when I moved to Canada at 14 that I learned that all of these shows that I loved were "anime". I googled something akin to "best current anime" and Soul Eater was on that list. I ended up watching that and Code Geass as it aired. That's where it all began for me.

I don't think I watched nearly that many anime shows back in the day, haha. Though Pokemon, some bits of Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! were definitely on the list.

I'd say that Fairy Tail was the first anime I watched subbed, and the first anime I was really into. Like, REALLY into. I practically memorized almost all of the original 175 episodes, fell in love with the OST, and was just enamoured with every single character (I could name 25 off the top of my head right now if I wanted to, lol).

Nowadays, rewatching those episodes makes me feel strange. I get this sense of nostalgia while at the same time this sense of awkwardness the more aware I become of the series' MANY flaws and lackluster animation compared to the other shows I've watched. It makes me appreciate just how much my taste has "grown", per say.

Still, I'll always hold Fairy Tail in a special place in my heart. I'm just glad I really started there and not with SAO, haha.

Mik317

Guessing JC or A1. Honestly it's hard to tell as those designs are fairly generic.

fitting as , mind only one volume, it is one of the most generic manga I have read in a long time. Its just one generic mishmash of all the shonen tropes with no tact.

Naruto Academia Eater of the Seven Sins.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I don't think I watched nearly that many anime shows back in the day, haha. Though Pokemon, some bits of Digimon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! were definitely on the list.

I'd say that Fairy Tail was the first anime I watched subbed, and the first anime I was really into. Like, REALLY into. I practically memorized almost all of the original 175 episodes, fell in love with the OST, and was just enamoured with every single character (I could name 25 off the top of my head right now if I wanted to, lol).

Nowadays, rewatching those episodes makes me feel strange. I get this sense of nostalgia while at the same time this sense of awkwardness the more aware I become of the series' MANY flaws and lackluster animation compared to the other shows I've watched. It makes me appreciate just how much my taste has "grown", per say.

Still, I'll always hold Fairy Tail in a special place in my heart. I'm just glad I really started there and not with SAO, haha.

Fairy Tail gets a lot of shit but it really is a very consistent show overall. I think that is it's best quality. I caught up on it recently and I wasn't entirely sure that a giant filler arc was actually filler or not until near the end.

Jintor

and yes, it's honestly one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen. I'm usually good with what I choose to watch so it's not often bad. I have watched Lost and BSG though, some of those episodes, woof

Man, taste is a weird thing. I remember that first episode has some excellent animation if nothing else.

/edit I can't remember if this is from Ep 1 but gawd damn. Seriously one of the few shows that made Scythe Fighting cool

//edit Lmao remember when Soul Eater NOT! inexplicably had really good animation for one scene? what a garbage show that was

fitting as , mind only one volume, it is one of the most generic manga I have read in a long time. Its just one generic mishmash of all the shonen tropes with no tact.

Its good generic IMO. Characters are lovable, battles are fun and the art is pretty. Right now it's like fairy tail but executed much much better.

Tales of Zestiria 6 dub

Man rewatching the Berseria episodes makes me really wish Berseria was releasing sooner haha. I need my Tales of fix soon or I'll be sad.

At least I have ufotable's glorious anime.

Jarmel

Banned

The premise sounds straight out of Break Blade.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Sentai discs I have are generally devoid of special features, asides from the OVAs or short episodes that their releases occasionally get.
The last Sentai disc I bought was the Keion movie, and it had every thing that came with the JP release except the Yamada commentary track. It was probably the most jam packed anime disc that I'd ever seen in terms of bonus features.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 34

I... didn't think I could feel so sad for an old man introduced this episode who had already accepted his fate. Sometimes this show knows exactly which heartstrings to pull.

See that's one the main reasons why I have never gone back to Soul Eater. Every year that passes I think, "man how cool would it be to watch it again now that I am 8 years older". But then I stop myself simply because of how magical and great that show is in my head. I bet it isn't all that or anything, but 14 year old me loved that series, and it's simply a memory that I don't want to risk tarnishing. It's my first subbed anime, and still to this day one I hold very dear. Whenever I hear the OP or I see merch or someone cosplaying as a character from the show, all of these happy memories come flowing right in.

Fucking power of nostalgia.

Jintor

Honestly, I watched Soul Eater with Toonami maybe 3 years back and the first half holds up great. It's only when it diverges from the manga that it really starts to get iffy.

It's funny too because the manga art style is total garbage not to many people's tastes and it really was Bones that leant it this amazing artstyle and music identity to it that really elevated it in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom