• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

The last Sentai disc I bought was the Keion movie, and it had every thing that came with the JP release except the Yamada commentary track. It was probably the most jam packed anime disc that I'd ever seen in terms of bonus features.

Yeah, it's a pretty great disc by them! It's been around three years since that one came out, though.

Fairy Tail gets a lot of shit but it really is a very consistent show overall. I think that is it's best quality. I caught up on it recently and I wasn't entirely sure that a giant filler arc was actually filler or not until near the end.

Yeah, it's definitely consistent. The entire manga and show can easily be summed up as just "dumb shounen". There's no real standout arc of the series, while it has its moments, both good and bad.

It is quite hilarious at just how predictable Mashima is with his formula.

*Introduces bunch of really scary and threatening-looking villains*
*Villains do serious damage to several Fairy Tail members*
*Several one-on-one fights ensue between the guild members and the villains*
*Villains begin jobbing one by one*
*Lucy's clothes fall off at some point*
*Natsu gets a power-boost and one-hit-KOs the villain's leader*
*All is well, cue foreshadowing for a future arc*

Rinse and repeat. Though to be fair I'm sure this kind of thing is common for many other shounen stuff I don't bother to watch.

That and the manga's also on (what I assume to be) its final arc, where to be fair, it HAS been doing some of those things differently so far. Emphasis on "some of those things" and "so far". But even then the final arc is just so all over the place and throwing so many things at the wall at once it's hard to focus on what the current situation is.

The last Sentai disc I bought was the Keion movie, and it had every thing that came with the JP release except the Yamada commentary track. It was probably the most jam packed anime disc that I'd ever seen in terms of bonus features.

The K-ON movie is the only Sentai disc I know of that comes with so much extra material.

Yeah, it's definitely consistent. The entire manga and show can easily be summed up as just "dumb shounen". There's no real standout arc of the series, while it has its moments, both good and bad.

Rinse and repeat. Though to be fair I'm sure this kind of thing is common for many other shounen stuff I don't bother to watch.

That and the manga's also on (what I assume to be) its final arc, where to be fair, it HAS been doing some of those things differently so far. Emphasis on "some of those things" and "so far". But even then the final arc is just so all over the place and throwing so many things at the wall at once it's hard to focus on what the current situation is.

lmao of every arc I read in the manga before I stopped, this is perfect.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 35

This is a hopeful episode with things kind of looking up for Mitsuki. Even with the obviously faked email from Eichi, theoretically the new surgery is nothing but good news. Why is this hope nothing but depressing?

Man God

Non-Canon Member

Absolutely the case. It's amazing how each time the build up is the same (and actually rather convincing if you forget that it has happened a dozen times already) and the result is basically the same.

Cornbread78

Fairy Tail gets a lot of shit but it really is a very consistent show overall. I think that is it's best quality. I caught up on it recently and I wasn't entirely sure that a giant filler arc was actually filler or not until near the end.

I've been watching it, very, very slowely so I don't burn out on it. It's a really fun show overall.

Full Moon wo Sagashite 34
I... didn't think I could feel so sad for an old man introduced this episode who had already accepted his fate. Sometimes this show knows exactly which heartstrings to pull.

It's safe to tell you that you haven't seen anything yet, but yeah, that scene was both beautiful and brutal at the same time.

You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to your impressions on the coming madness.

I know it's coming, I just don't know exactly what is going to happen.

cj_iwakura

Terror in Resonance 04
Just let the girl go full psycho. It'll be better for it. Please?

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 5-10

If I hear CASTA NO MASTA once more, I'll commit sudoku. It's the second most overused phrase after BAZAKA.

That said, Casta no Masta may be the only new character I like, even though he's a Kirei rip off. But anyway, that Holy Grail War must certainly be a farce. The previous one had some of the world's most important mages, each one with their own ideals, and now it's just kids, minus Kuzuki, and they don't even know what they fight for. Talk about a downgrade.

That's the irony of the current war. So many big name mages died in the last war that there's only kids left for this one.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 36

Mitsuki really is an angel too pure for this world. She's really getting hurt by all the lies, false hope, and general unpleasantness thrown her way, but she just accepts it and moves on forward, holding onto the one dream. Meanwhile, Takuto cements that he's an idiot that doesn't think before he acts. Meroko isn't much better, but at least she knows to hold back on doing anything serious.

Paltheos

Anyone who's only heard of this series in passing, I give it a big, big thumbs up. AotY contender in any of the years it was airing for sure.

Chihayafuru is a show that reminded me why I love anime. Don't be dissuaded by the uninteresting-sounding premise. Every element of the show is produced with so much love and masterfully (of course), and it's just a joy to watch.

Line_HTX

From Zero

After all the fucked up shit that happened, after taking all the pies in the face, after having one big serious discussion to air out everything, to bring everything to the forefront and come to some kind of compromise or consensus on what to do or whatever, AFTER ALL OF THAT, this is supposed to be the fucking payoff for an extra 80 seconds?? You talk with Rem on all of this and yet you are still dead fucking set on Emilia no matter what? Like... why? How does this make any sense? I swear, this should have been one of those life changing circumstances where the MC goes in a different direction and not go with the 1st girl wins trope. Jesus, I am not a Rem fan and even I think this was complete bullshit and just completely botched logically. Given all that has happened he should have at least had one major change, but no, it just always has to be Emilia. This just goes back to the start of this arc where he seems to have learned nothing after a successful checkpoint if you will, like he reverted back to his old ways of thinking just as long as it's for Emilia. Fucking shallow and just pure robbery. Missed out on The Opportunity for a major change in the path.

zulux21

omg, thanks for the honest answers, lol. I have a few friends irl who strongly recommended the series to me, plus the Netflix rating is 4.5/5 stars. I've never heard a single bad thing about Soul Eater.

and yes, it's honestly one of the worst episodes of anything I've ever seen. I'm usually good with what I choose to watch so it's not often bad. I have watched Lost and BSG though, some of those episodes, woof

hmmm no one else seemed to mention it.

episode 1 of soul eater is more of an episode 0.

it is just a long introduction to the 3 eventual main characters, really the show starts with episode 2.

Jintor

imho it doesn't matter, if you don't dig the vibe of soul eater that much that you call that ep one of the worst eps of anything you've ever watched, you're not going to enjoy the rest.

Line_HTX

New Game! 11

Dang, it's as if the viewer was actually at Tokyo Game Show this week, haha

Yagami looks drastically different in different clothes for a magazine interview. The new image is better than the previous image.

LOL, someone in the Fighting Game thread mentioned the back of the show floor where there was Street Butler V. Almost missed that one.

https://twitter.com/WoWS_Japan/status/776277328305397760
fB8wtDM.jpg

zulux21

imho it doesn't matter, if you don't dig the vibe of soul eater that much that you call that ep one of the worst eps of anything you've ever watched, you're not going to enjoy the rest.

true.
though quite frankly the only way I know of to call the first episode the top 3 of worst things you have ever seen is if you have only managed to see like 20 things in your life.

it's not a great episode but it is far from offensive *shrugs*

*goes back to trying to get through kill la kill*

Akiba's Trip anime announced.
Studio: Gonzo.
http://otakomu.jp/archives/420821.html

it doesn't look right with the space.
with the space it's much harder to read it as Akiba Strip :p

Akiba'strip

:p

zulux21

huh.
White Fox to Produce Peace Maker Kurogane's New Anime Project

totally missed there was gonna be a new peace maker project. hopefully it is better than the original.

either way white fox has been doing good work so I look forward to it.

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 - Depair: 9
Man, this side of the show is boring. Like even the torture/edgy crap was boring as heck. The Danganronpa 2 cast is just irrelevant.
The brainwashing
is just icing on the cake.

Danganronpa 3 - Future: 10
On the other hand this side of the show is still fun. Seeing Makoto finally take matters into his own hands is great, especially considering that I have really been missing the gutsy and intelligent side of him from the games. I still think punished Munakata is kind of silly though. I just don't get him.

Thoraxes

nice pickup. I ended up cancelling my order. Going to wait for a Funi sale at RS before buying.

Looks like stock may be low from what i've been reading, but they'll probably reprint for the holidays. More stock always magically appears for a limited time around then.
Penguindrum is probably one of my 5 or so favorite anime ever, and I would absolutely love to purchase a version to own even just to show my general support for the series and have it on hand at all times, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy that piece of shit release.

That show deserved so much better.

It really did. I'm hoping that years from now, Sentai's license will expire and some other company (like Discotek) would pick it up and give it the release it deserves.
Agreed with all of the above in both these posts.

I bought that bad release back when I didn't know anything about the quality standards of each company or the releases. It was basically the impetus to looking up and analyzing video quality and encoding standards.

I'll pay good money for a good Penguindrum release.

Qurupeke

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 11-12
Another double episode and it's probably the peak of the series so far. After the snorefest and the parade of stupidity most of the show have been, I really liked some of the developments here. Even the casual fun they had was nice. I love how ridiculously overpowered Caster has been lately. And they keep adding a lot of fuel to the mystery of Archer's identity, huh.

Also, Saber likes food. Like, she really likes it.

duckroll

What would it take to get Ufotable to produce full TV series for all the Trails games in chronological order, with the production values of FateZero/UBW/GodEater/ToZ?

DiGiKerot

But Bandai Namco doesn't manage Fate.

The alternative is that they need to have Type-Moons merchandising empire to support and/or fund these things. Do you really want to live in a world where there are approximately seventeen new Estelle Bright figures a month from now until the end of all eternity?

It's a little know fact that if you take one of every Saber figure ever made, and stand them one ontop of eachother, the resulting pile would reach the moon. Six times over. Also probably remarkably unstable.

Saber figures also account for 58% of the worlds non-recyclable waste.

Fate Kaleid Liner PRISMA ILLYA 3rei!! 11

Why does it always feel like every battle Archer/EMIYA wins is always by a complete asspull in every iteraition of the Fate universe he shows up in? This time it was even worse because there were technically two of them asspulling throughout the episode. Despite that though I did enjoy this episode and I'm curious about Archer's thoughts on what the Ainsworths are doing really were. I suppose we'll find out next episode.

T-Rex.

Banned
Goddamnit Slice. I stopped watching Kaleid cos that mana sharing stuff is just grim, but now that I know Archer's in it I'm going to have to pick it back up.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm not aware of AlltheAnime doing anything around MCM time again this year, but Your Name is playing as part of the London Film Festival next month - it's actually a competition film, no less, which I think might actually be a first for an animated movie.

BFI member tickets have been on sale for a bit, but I do believe general sales go up at 1000 tomorrow.
Since the clock has struck 10, I've had a look at their site. Shame the nearer cinema is sold out already (well it's rather small so I'm sure all the members bought the tickets). So that leaves the Victoria embankment where it's £18 a ticket. That's pretty dear.

Will wait for the more general release. Already checked, and it should be showing at my local.

duckroll

The alternative is that they need to have Type-Moons merchandising empire to support and/or fund these things. Do you really want to live in a world where there are approximately seventeen new Estelle Bright figures a month from now until the end of all eternity?

I don't think Type Moon personally does most of that either. It's a licensing deal with Good Smile Company isn't it? Falcom already has a ton of merchandising and licensing as it is. They have a gazillion music CDs, books, straps, etc. More figures wouldn't even be out of place considering...

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3335/Nendoroid+Petite+Falcom+Heroine+Set.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/ao_psp/product/reserve.html
http://www.zero-full.com/product/index.html

We're talking about a series of otaku friendly games which sell >200k per entry now, with a huge cast of characters who are super marketable to fans. It has all the advantages Type Moon stuff has. All it needs is a strong nudge by Aniplex...

DiGiKerot

I don't think Type Moon personally does most of that either. It's a licensing deal with Good Smile Company isn't it? Falcom already has a ton of merchandising and licensing as it is. They have a gazillion music CDs, books, straps, etc. More figures wouldn't even be out of place considering...

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/product/3335/Nendoroid+Petite+Falcom+Heroine+Set.html
http://www.falcom.co.jp/ao_psp/product/reserve.html
http://www.zero-full.com/product/index.html

We're talking about a series of otaku friendly games which sell >200k per entry now, with a huge cast of characters who are super marketable to fans. It has all the advantages Type Moon stuff has. All it needs is a strong nudge by Aniplex...

Hey, I was largely being facetious with that one, man. I totally have the Estelle nendoroid (the fullsize one, not the Puchi) on my desk at home.

You're probably right about needing a push from one of the publishers in the industry, though. The Type-Moon stuff is weird in that it's hard to figure out if their continued ability to get things animated is them pushing for it themselves, or simply riding the zeitgeist from all the way back when Tsukihime was breaking new ground in sales for doujin games. At some point it's gone all Oroborus, I guess.

As long as Falcom has been around, and as insane as their cottage industry in soundtrack CDs has been for decades now, it does feel like they've quite had that explosive moment of sudden interest. Even with the Trails games I was under the impression that a lot of their popularity was built slowly with smart marketing that encourages users to go back to the older games every time a new one was released?

-edit- at some point, I pretty much just have to assume it's disinterest from Falcom themselves for getting involved in anything beyond gag anime, though.

Eumi

What would it take to get Ufotable to produce full TV series for all the Trails games in chronological order, with the production values of FateZero/UBW/GodEater/ToZ?
Doesn't Trails in the Sky have something already? I remember hearing that something exists and it's bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom