• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you all lack imagination. FC can be easily done in 12 episodes. SC in 26. CS1 seems very doable in 12 episodes too.

I mean, you could definitely do the main plots in smaller episode counts (not CS1, though. It's even longer than SC).

But what's the point?

The appeal of Trails isn't just the main plot, but all of the character development, the world building, the supporting cast, the environments, and so much more.

A 12 episode version of FC would probably be a decent adaptation of that game's main plot, but it would feel soulless. You wouldn't really get time to care about any of the characters aside from Estelle or Joshua, you wouldn't really be able to explore Liberl in any meaningful way, and if you hadn't already played the game you'd probably just look at the show and ask "is that it?".

Obviously an anime can't bring the world to life in the same way as the games do, but if an anime adaptation wasn't going to even try and just focus on being a rushed version of the critical path, then I'm not sure what the point is.

Chase17

Kabaneri 02
Oh I was wrong. They are indeed characters that are "one of them", or in between I guess. And it's the title of the show.

Enjoyed the Ikoma speech. Instead of the typical must save everyone affair, he want's them to feel bad about kicking him out.

duckroll

I don't think any of that is true. I mean it feels that way because someone experienced a setting in one form. The way a game expresses itself and interacts with the player is different from how a show would do the same thing. If you replicate the exact same thing but with less scenes, obviously the net total is less. But if you capture the essence of something and adapt it to make the best use of the medium it's in, that changes everything.

22 minutes is actually a very substantial amount of time. The fact that there are tons of series where it feels like nothing happens in an episode is a result of poor plotting, but that there isn't enough time.

Chase17

I'm maybe 8 or 9 hours into Cold Steel 1, or whenever the first field test ends. I have the upmost confidence it could boiled down to an episode and a half.

Kemono no Souja Erin - 18

The beginning of a new chapter for Erin. Sad to see her split ways with Jone but it was a very nice good-bye scene. Also that means we'll finally be able to say goodbye to the 2 morons :D

... :| .... wait...

nQSYBDk.jpg
ko1ADn3.jpg

i don't want to live in this world anymore

Like, what's even the fucking point of these two bumbling idiots. Comedic belief? Fuck me, they bring down every scene they're in since their introduction and they just tag along Erin forever. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. What a stain on such a good show

-______________-

Aside from episode 0 Ufotable did a pretty good job with Tales of Zestiria and they captured pretty much everything important.

It's a shame not many people are watching it here. It's one of this season hightlight imo.

Cornbread78

I skipped the Lets Watch the past couple weeks because nobody really sounded interested in Last Exile.

Do you think there would be any interest in the below?

The Tatami Galaxy
Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad
Reborn!

Speaking of Pokemon. I highly recommend people play the Pokemon Reborn fangame (for PC). It's so damn good. Puzzle design, atmosphere, story, characters, difficulty, world, yadayada. All way superior than anything gamefreak has game up with yet. Damn, there's a lot of real great bizarre stuff. Kick-ass soundtrack to boot. Of course, you could instead soon play the likely still terribly optimized Sun&Moon titles, lul.

edit: Well, forgot to say there aren't animations for all attacks unfortunately but I don't mind that too much in the grand scheme of things.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So fu(king angry right now; gotta vent

When I create OT's I always save them in my work e-mail (spell check, etc) and I had been storing a couple game OT's that I worked on over the summer while it was slower in the office (fall through march is crazy time) that were coming up this fall and were pretty much done, but didn't realize they added a time limit to the "draft" folder and they were deleted after 90 days..... @#$^%&^$%&$%&$&$&$^&^$#&(*)&*(.. Damn I.S team and their storage BS... $%##&

so angry..

tumblr_np340qFCEw1tiivhqo3_500.gif

You should do what I've done in the past: send a PM to yourself with your draft so you always have a copy. You can always delete it later when needed.

I skipped the Lets Watch the past couple weeks because nobody really sounded interested in Last Exile.

Boo those people.

Hmmm...was that Gonzo's last decent show?

In other news, Hibike Euphonium S2 TV CM posted on KyoAni's YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPgjLozngg

The Tatami Galaxy
Reborn!
While I enjoyed reborn! I don't recommend it since its 204 episodes and has a really slow start.

Of course, if you are able to go through the first 30 or so episodes it becomes a fantastic shonen.

Also quick question lets watch are 1 episode a day? Or each week?

Majin Bone's a mobile card game, so it's more in line with stuff like Show By Rock and Rage of Bahamut (that was a mobile game adaptation, right?). That stuff's more easily able to become its own thing with an anime.

I was referring to Danball Senki because that show is a straight adaptation of the game's story, following the same plot with the same characters.

Speaking of Pokemon. I highly recommend people play the Pokemon Reborn fangame (for PC). It's so damn good. Puzzle design, atmosphere, story, characters, difficulty, world, yadayada. All way superior than anything gamefreak has game up with yet. Damn, there's a lot of real great bizarre stuff. Kick-ass soundtrack to boot. Of course, you could instead soon play the likely still terribly optimized Sun&Moon titles, lul.

edit: Well, forgot to say there aren't animations for all attacks unfortunately but I don't mind that too much in the grand scheme of things.

Ewwww.

Line_HTX

This is a crime against humanity that no one is interested. Just, ugh! SMH...

Next best thing up should be Beck.

Really a bummer that people won't give these fairly old shows the time of day.

Hmmm...was that Gonzo's last decent show?

In other news, Hibike Euphonium S2 TV CM posted on KyoAni's YT channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgPgjLozngg

Hmm, that's a good question.

Yay-yah, one week closer to the 1 hour 1st episode for Euphonium Tuesdays!

Cornbread78

You should do what I've done in the past: send a PM to yourself with your draft so you always have a copy. You can always delete it later when needed.

Damn, good idea! That would've saved me the hell I'm about to face, trying to redo the whole OT's because of stupid archiving rules.. I'll just pound the sand on Friday afternoons when it is slower, lol.

While I enjoyed reborn! I don't recommend it since its 204 episodes and has a really slow start.
Of course, if you are able to go through the first 30 or so episodes it becomes a fantastic shonen.

Also quick question lets watch are 1 episode a day? Or each week?

Damn, I read that as 23 episodes and didn't even see the "0" scratch that one...

1 a day, but you can skip a few days and watch those episodes at once, you just can't go ahead and comment ahead of each episode. This keeps everyone around the same pace and allows everyone to post openly without spoilers.

Qurupeke

The Tatami Galaxy
Reborn!

The Tatami Galaxy is an excellent show, but I don't think it would work very well in the Let's Watch format. I feel it's better to binge watch that one, despite its episodic structure.

Cornbread78

Revised List, would any of these work better?

Ergo Proxy
Terra e
Jyu-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King
Xam'd: Lost Memories

Is new Gonzo even the high quality anime studio we all remember ao well?

Even during their heyday, most Gonzo shows were pretty shit and just fell apart after the 4th or 5th episode.

There were some exceptions where they put out high quality shows of course, but I don't think they were ever really a high quality studio in general.

e_i

"Sorry, this video is for members only."

I really love Monica Rial, so I have sort of a good idea what it might sound like. My favorite is still her Renge laugh from Ouran.

Damn. Sorry about that. The trailer is nasty and Ms. Rial is a goddess. It's remarkable how nasty uncensored Shimoneta is. Censored, it was bad, but uncensored...holy shit.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 13

I can't wait for the epic reveal that Sanetoshi is actually Kyubey because it was practically announced in this episode that none of this will end well.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 14

OH. MY. SHIT.

SHE WAS IN ON IT THE WHOLE TIME.

FUUUUUU WHAT IS EVEN REAL IN THIS SHOW ANYMORE.

Ascheroth

The Tatami Galaxy
Reborn!

Not sure if it's something for a Let's Watch, but something I think you would enjoy is Mushibugyou. It's a fairly standard shonen story, but the execution is really good with a bunch of fun characters. (It also has a little romance in it).
Just keep in mind that it's a adaption of a manga and it's not 'complete', though I think it ends at a decent stopping point.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 13

I can't wait for the epic reveal that Sanetoshi is actually Kyubey because it was practically announced in this episode that none of this will end well.

Mawaru Penguindrum - 14

OH. MY. SHIT.

SHE WAS IN ON IT THE WHOLE TIME.

FUUUUUU WHAT IS EVEN REAL IN THIS SHOW ANYMORE.

Now you're getting to the point where the show really gets crazy.

Damn. Sorry about that. The trailer is nasty and Ms. Rial is a goddess. It's remarkable how nasty uncensored Shimoneta is. Censored, it was bad, but uncensored...holy shit.

Now I'm wondering just how bad Shimoneta could be uncensored. Guess I'll find out later today.

Usually I try not to come down on people's opinions on entertainment too much, here or anywhere on the internet.

That said, people who post pics of inbetween shots of very animated scenes, claiming the stretching of characters is bad animation makes me wanna shoot myself in the face.

TUSR

Banned
Usually I try not to come down on people's opinions on entertainment too much, here or anywhere on the internet.

That said, people who post pics of inbetween shots of very animated scenes, claiming the stretching of characters is bad animation makes me wanna shoot myself in the face.

bro suicide isnt the answer

tumblr_mm5m8snKx91s5hwddo4_1280.jpg

wow what the hell why is superman as big as an elephant with long fingers, i hope someone got fired for that blunder

It does lead to some funny images though.

9c0.png

508.jpg

Defuser

This is interesting

https://myanimelist.net/news/47778067
The official site for production company Aniplex has announced that it will begin a new division that specializes in the creation of scripts, scenario planning, and advertising. The division will be named Script Room and will be lead by Tomohiko Itou, who has directed shows such as Boku dake ga Inai Machi, Gin no Saji, and Sword Art Online, all three whom Aniplex has been heavily involved with.

It is mentioned by Tomohiko Itou that the group was established for writers to focus on a single project, since the idea of it is uncommon in Japan, unlike other regions. The group is also hoping to find new talented writers.

The group has listed recruitment opportunities on their site, with a deadline of September 30. Applicants do not require any previous writing experience nor are there any age or gender restrictions.

Hope they know and keep shit writers out of the division like Hiroyuki Yoshino, Ubukata Tow. But sooner or later it will lead to big egos and arguments lol.

Paltheos

Aside from episode 0 Ufotable did a pretty good job with Tales of Zestiria and they captured pretty much everything important.

It's a shame not many people are watching it here. It's one of this season hightlight imo.

Yeah, it's a good adaptation and avoids most of the pitfalls of "you can only really watch this if you played the game" adaptations. Allot of the characters and developments are given breathing room to sink in - The show doesn't just leap from event to event. And of course it looks fantastic, but that's par for the course for Ufotable.

The last episode is probably my favorite so far as it highlights the improvements to the plot the anime's script has made.

In the game, at this point,
Alisha is kidnapped (somehow... whatever, that can pass by itself but...) and despite Lailah's and everyone else's warning about the solitude and burden of the Shepherd and, in particular, how he should be an apolitical force, the seraphim all recommend that they should go along with this obviously evil dude's request to help them defeat the enemy army to save Alisha because otherwise Sorey could fall to malevolence... even though they all had confidence in him before and this flies in the face of the themes of the story.

The anime's handled this much better.
It devoted most of an episode to an original plot point of human malevolence being more potent than other kinds, Sorey coming to understand and accept the weight of purifying them, and going out to the battlefield regardless. It eschews the Alisha kidnapped bit altogether because she never joined the party at all as a squire - She's just been a reliable friend and ally. It even adds this neat scene where Alisha's tested by the assassin's guild and provides us with a more satisfying explanation to why Rose will be at Glaivend Basin.

Ascheroth

Yeah, it's a good adaptation and avoids most of the pitfalls of "you can only really watch this if you played the game" adaptations. Allot of the characters and developments are given breathing room to sink in - The show doesn't just leap from event to event. And of course it looks fantastic, but that's par for the course for Ufotable.

The last episode is probably my favorite so far as it highlights the improvements to the plot the anime's script has made.

In the game, at this point,
Alisha is kidnapped (somehow... whatever, that can pass by itself but...) and despite Lailah's and everyone else's warning about the solitude and burden of the Shepherd and, in particular, how he should be an apolitical force, the seraphim all recommend that they should go along with this obviously evil dude's request to help them defeat the enemy army to save Alisha because otherwise Sorey could fall to malevolence... even though they all had confidence in him before and this flies in the face of the themes of the story.

The anime's handled this much better.
It devoted most of an episode to an original plot point of human malevolence being more potent than other kinds, Sorey coming to understand and accept the weight of purifying them, and going out to the battlefield regardless. It eschews the Alisha kidnapped bit altogether because she never joined the party at all as a squire - She's just been a reliable friend and ally. It even adds this neat scene where Alisha's tested by the assassin's guild and provides us with a more satisfying explanation to why Rose will be at Glaivend Basin.

You know this actually sounds pretty good. Maybe I should give the anime a try.

Cornbread78

You know this actually sounds pretty good. Maybe I should give the anime a try.

You should! It's actually really well done and makes a lot of sense in comparison to the game. I have to step back once in awhile because the game order of events gets all jumbled in my mind, but it is very well done over-all.

The outstanding visuals helps a lot as well.

Think I'll finally start watching Dangan Ronpa 3 tonight. Should I be watching both sides simultaneously or can I watch one and then the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom