• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad I never got around to watching Danganronpa 3 at all, because it sounds fucking terrible.

Hopefully this is the necessary purge so that V3 can actually be good and not be drowning in the worst excesses of the series that have come out in the last couple of entries.

I'm glad I never got around to watching Danganronpa 3 at all, because it sounds fucking terrible.

Hopefully this is the necessary purge so that V3 can actually be good and not be drowning in the worst excesses of the series that have come out in the last couple of entries.

The future arc is ok, it's actually better than I expected it to be. It's the past arc about the Danganronpa 2 characters that is a disaster.

And I'm not confident that v3 can break out of this tbh.

Oh man guess what I'm not fucking bothering with tonight!

Honestly considering dropping Danganronpa tbh. I really need to just abandon the series after the anime finishes and come back when I'm actually feeling good about it again.

Which feels super shitty.

DR3D is just the sour dose of shit despair we need to amp up V3. I believe in Robo-Naegi.

Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc 10
This is almost as bad as Ultra Despair Girls.

Its so much worse. DR3 Despair manages to retroactively ruin the twist of DR2 and the entire (interesting) setup for Future by
completely taking away all responsibility from the Remnants of Despairs because they were brainwashed. Now instead of being wrong, Makoto is right because it truly isn't their fault.
So even though Future is fine and will likely end up staying fine (although I'm not so sure right now) Despair is still fucking it over.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

You know I thought in the beginning that Danganronpa 3 was good. But then I was wrong.
But then I thought it couldn't be worse than the first anime. And then I have never been more wrong in my life.

Its so much worse. DR3 Despair manages to retroactively ruin the twist of DR2 and the entire (interesting) setup for Future by
completely taking away all responsibility from the Remnants of Despairs because they were brainwashed. Now instead of being wrong, Makoto is right because it truly isn't their fault.
So even though Future is fine and will likely end up staying fine (although I'm not so sure right now) Despair is still fucking it over.

I agree with all of those criticisms and I'm still not sure that's enough. It's close though and both are absolutely terrible so I suppose there's not much point is ranking them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
It's not so much being embarrassed about yourself watching Love Live and the iDOLM@STER, it's the fact that being a fan means you are also associated with Nico and Miki fans. That's where the embarrassment lies.

cGoFgnc.gif

The future arc is ok, it's actually better than I expected it to be. It's the past arc about the Danganronpa 2 characters that is a disaster.

And I'm not confident that v3 can break out of this tbh.

I'm not super confident, either, but I'll keep out at least some hope for V3.

I just want Kodaka to jettison all of this bigger storyline and just make the next game a self-contained story.

But every new thing that comes out makes me less and less confident of that.

You know I thought in the beginning that Danganronpa 3 was good. But then I was wrong.
But then I thought it couldn't be worse than the first anime. And then I have never been more wrong in my life.

Its still better then DR1...technically, I guess. I think I dislike Despair more since its just fucking everything up all over the place and theres no DR3 game (which is a good thing)

I agree with all of those criticisms and I'm still not sure that's enough. It's close though and both are absolutely terrible so I suppose there's not much point is ranking them.

There are still parts I like about UDG, as bad as some of it is. If I look at what I like about Despair its -

1. Well, Nagito is still Nagito. Oh wait this episode ruins that too
2. Mukuro is in it
3. Uhhh...Gundham is still there but he's just a joke character who says a goofy line an episode like the rest of the class?

I'm not super confident, either, but I'll keep out at least some hope for V3.

I just want Kodaka to jettison all of this bigger storyline and just make the next game a self-contained story.

But every new thing that comes out makes me less and less confident of that.

V3 needs to be a real kick in the ass. I still maintain that as bad as they are, removing the gamey parts of Danganronpa makes it not work. In Zero its fine because its not a killing game (oddly enough Future is better then Despair though...) and I really want to believe V3 will refine the gamey parts with the ability to lie system and having multiple people on screen in conversations.

But we REALLY need to get away from this Hope vs Despair, Hope's Peak and J**** stuff because its already way too played out, even if the first two games used it well.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 38

And so we get a full explanation of how music has ruined Grandma's life. I'm going to pretend her husband died in an accident when he convinced her to go to a concert or something. Either way, it's understandable how she feels, but shutting people away from music won't do her any good if they choose music over her. Which Mitsuki also does. She may be an angel, but she's got one shot to go to America, and she's not a fool who will let that chance slip away.

I'm so glad I never bothered with Danganronpa.

As much as Despair totally wants to ruin the first two games, it can't. Despair is a case of trying to fill something in that will never work because its better in your head, and Future seems to be rapidly trying to finish up the storyline in a somewhat competent way. I want to compare it to the Star Wars prequels...but Despair isn't THAT bad. It's similar though, when you hear Obi Wan talk about The Clone Wars you go "Man that sounds really cool" and then they show you the Clone Wars and you go "man that fucking sucked." Although DR3 has a really awesome setup and is an extremely ambitious idea, its flunking it. I'll reserve total judgment until its actually over but as it stands the core dilemma of DR3 Future has been retconned into being far less interesting. Despair is even more confusing since DR Zero exists and theres like...1 despair episode left so ??????????? how that fits in.

I'd put DR2 up there with the Ace Attorney games (1-3, not AJ fuck that trash) DR1 has a lot of good stuff in it as well. Honestly they both have severe issues so if V3 can really kick itself into gear by being a soft reboot (to what extent who knows. I'm less confident that Kodaka can truly let go of the Hope's Peak storyline after DR3) and being available on the PS4 and not the Vita alone then we will have an actual franchise worth delving into.

Me and Basileus will disagree on UDG, but its honestly skippable. The gameplay is bad even by DR standards but the two main characters story is really good imo.

The DR Zero novel is pretty good. I heard those Kyoko books are alright too but they aren't translated. Everything else book-wise is either bad (supposedly) or not important.

Squishy3

Ace Attorney 6 Case 2

I can't believe we had another case on the freaking
Gramarye family. Why is Trucy's biological family so much trouble? I thought the series was gonna sprint away from these things as fast it could be honest.

That all said, it was a good case. Much improved over the intro case. I like how the little changes to Trucy's appearance makes her look older. I like how Apollo has gained confidence. I like how they didn't overuse the team's abilities too much.
The cuplrit's breakdown in this case is probably one of my favorite breakdowns in the series so far.

Me and Basileus will disagree on UDG, but its honestly skippable. The gameplay is bad even by DR standards but the two main characters story is really good imo.
if UDG really just focused on komaru and toko going through the game fighting the monokumas and the kids it'd be fine, komaru and toko are a joy to watch interact. but the game's not just that

I also think DR loses a lot of its appeal by...not being a game, but not in the actual gameplay ways. DR has really good presentation and aesthetics, from the music to the voice acting to Monokuma's presence which is near none existent in Future to the way court scenes play out, its a very stylized game. Now the anime still has the voice actors and attempts to use the music but it just doesn't work. Yeah you can use this track and its still a good track but without everything else that accompanies it in the game it loses effect.

But thats enough about DR even though it has 3 anime so it technically should count in here.

Gimme V3 and don't kill off the Maid girl. I need to get back to Ace Attorney, that other good series with bad anime

Eumi

As much as Despair totally wants to ruin the first two games, it can't. Despair is a case of trying to fill something in that will never work because its better in your head, and Future seems to be rapidly trying to finish up the storyline in a somewhat competent way. I want to compare it to the Star Wars prequels...but Despair isn't THAT bad. It's similar though, when you hear Obi Wan talk about The Clone Wars you go "Man that sounds really cool" and then they show you the Clone Wars and you go "man that fucking sucked." Although DR3 has a really awesome setup and is an extremely ambitious idea, its flunking it. I'll reserve total judgment until its actually over but as it stands the core dilemma of DR3 Future has been retconned into being far less interesting. Despair is even more confusing since DR Zero exists and theres like...1 despair episode left so ??????????? how that fits in.

I'd put DR2 up there with the Ace Attorney games (1-3, not AJ fuck that trash) DR1 has a lot of good stuff in it as well. Honestly they both have severe issues so if V3 can really kick itself into gear by being a soft reboot (to what extent who knows. I'm less confident that Kodaka can truly let go of the Hope's Peak storyline after DR3) and being available on the PS4 and not the Vita alone then we will have an actual franchise worth delving into.

The DR Zero novel is pretty good. I heard those Kyoko books are alright too but they aren't translated. Everything else book-wise is either bad (supposedly) or not important.
V3 will being a reboot really is our last hope. But even if it does reboot and it's great, what then? Will the DR V storyline just follow the same path as the Hope's Peak stuff?

V3 will being a reboot really is our last hope. But even if it does reboot and it's great, what then? Will the DR V storyline just follow the same path as the Hope's Peak stuff?

I don't think theres much point in thinking about how things will go after V3 when we know so little about it anyway. Knowing Kodaka he might just go full Kojima so I'm tentative to even analyze any V3 stuff thats out there right now.

I mean you have a fucking gameplay system to trick people by lying in the game with Robo-Naegi in it. After DR2's ending I'd be more surprised if he doesn't do some MGS2-ass protag swap.

The two mainline games are good. Avoid all the side stuff and multimedia projects and you're fine.

The first two games were great, and they ended just fine, so it's not like the knowledge that there's some other shitty stuff out there makes those games worse.

Honestly it's not so much the reports I'm hearing of D3 not being good that's turned me off (though it certainly doesn't help).

I've never bothered with the franchise because I've never ever even remotely enjoyed the "a bunch of people stuck in a death game, who lives/who dies" scenario in media. It's what initially turned me off of SAO before I learned about its other failings.

Despite how good I'm sure the writing and characters are, the overall tone is always just so brutal and depressing in that kind of stuff right from the get-go as characters die left and right. Becoming invested in certain characters is practically a gamble.

Despite how good I'm sure the writing and characters are, the overall tone is always just so brutal and depressing in that kind of stuff right from the get-go as characters die left and right. Becoming invested in certain characters is practically a gamble.

Yeah if you don't like the idea of that then it might not be for you to begin with. Its done fairly well and the murders and motives are usually poignant but DR2 especially is a really rough game filled with "Man they really didn't deserve this."

Honestly it's not so much the reports I'm hearing of D3 not being good that's turned me off (though it certainly doesn't help).

I've never bothered with the franchise because I've never ever even remotely enjoyed the "a bunch of people stuck in a death game, who lives/who dies" scenario in media. It's what initially turned me off of SAO before I learned about its other failings.

Danganronpa's tone is actually fairly light for the most part.

Yeah, characters are dying, but overall the games are fairly lighthearted with a lot of comedy, and even in the serious moments it's going more into Ace Attorney territory with over the top breakdowns and the like.

Although you do have to accept that sometimes a favorite character of yours will die.

But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think the tone is ever brutal in Danganronpa 1 or 2.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I also think DR loses a lot of its appeal by...not being a game, but not in the actual gameplay ways. DR has really good presentation and aesthetics, from the music to the voice acting to Monokuma's presence which is near none existent in Future to the way court scenes play out, its a very stylized game. Now the anime still has the voice actors and attempts to use the music but it just doesn't work. Yeah you can use this track and its still a good track but without everything else that accompanies it in the game it loses effect.

But thats enough about DR even though it has 3 anime so it technically should count in here.

Gimme V3 and don't kill off the Maid girl. I need to get back to Ace Attorney, that other good series with bad anime

Wiat til someone decides to try and turn the Zero Escape series into anime!

Yeah, characters are dying, but overall the games are fairly lighthearted with a lot of comedy, and even in the serious moments it's going more into Ace Attorney territory with over the top breakdowns and the like.

Although you do have to accept that sometimes a favorite character of yours will die.

But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think the tone is ever brutal in Danganronpa 1 or 2.

Yeah the mode swings around a lot but it doesn't feel annoying like in something like Full Metal Alchemist where the comedy is done with loud reactions and funny faces. It's kind of like a black comedy in the humorous parts, making light of terrible situations (usually from Monokuma) but the serious or dramatic moments are mostly done well.

There are plenty of brutal things about DR but the way its conveyed wont make your stomach turn from gore or anything. I'd say its more dread then anything.

999 would probably work but VLR and ZTD with their timeline shenanigans? That'd be hilarious to see someone try.

Gvitor

I think I'm 2 episodes per side behind in Danganronpa 3. Maaaybe I'll catch up later today, but I'm doing it just for closure, this series main story sucks. I liked V3's trailer, hopefully they keep their promises that this has nothing to do with the previous games.

Eumi

I legitimately want a 999 anime that has Junpei
die at the end of episode 4, and then episode 5 is just episode 1 again expect he goes in the other door. No explanations, just you died, try again.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 39

I joked earlier about how it would be interesting to see Mitsuki run away to America. But uh, that actually kind of happened. I must be a psychic. Eichi's statement that the moon looks beautiful and hides half its scarred body scarily on point for Mitsuki. Everyone loves Full Moon, not knowing the pain the real Mitsuki is going through.

Yeah if you don't like the idea of that then it might not be for you to begin with. Its done fairly well and the murders and motives are usually poignant but DR2 especially is a really rough game filled with "Man they really didn't deserve this."

I can see how generally, the franchise would have lots of room for comedic lighthearted stuff what with the settings being a school and an island, but when the overall situation of the story is 100% "we're trapped in this room and we gotta get out otherwise we'll die" from beginning to end, it just never really means anything to me in the long run. Especially with the whole "DESPAIR" aspect of that one statement always being a massive focus. I feel like I'd just be miserable watching it, so I just don''t bother.

But no one is Japan cares about Uchikoshi anymore.

Though it would be amusing to see someone try to adapt a bunch of visual novels dependent on perspective twists.

There was a forgettable promo anime for Virtue's Last Reward.
One that straight up lied to the audience because there was no other way to do it in that format.

Psycho Pass was a show that tried to stand on the shoulders of giants, but instead it just tripped and fell before the giants were even within its eyesight and then got bitten by a mosquito and died a slow, painful death from infection before even making it five feet from its home village.

Cornbread78

Psycho-Pass is a show that loves to name drop books and philosophers with hardly anything to back it up as being substance

Psycho Pass was a show that tried to stand on the shoulders of giants, but instead it just tripped and fell before the giants were even within its eyesight and then got bitten by a mosquito and died a slow, painful death from infection before even making it five feet from its home village.

Oh, lol. Nevermind then.

Nobody answered me about the shows on the top of the page though! Need ideas/feedback, lol

Ascheroth

I can see how generally, the franchise would have lots of room for comedic lighthearted stuff what with the settings being a school and an island, but when the overall situation of the story is 100% "we're trapped in this room and we gotta get out otherwise we'll die" from beginning to end, it just never really means anything to me in the long run. Especially with the whole "DESPAIR" aspect of that one statement always being a massive focus. I feel like I'd just be miserable watching it, so I just don''t bother.

You know, since I've been shilling it to Cornbread before anyway..., I'd think you'd also enjoy Mushibugyou (it doesn't have mechs though). There are some dark moments (also visually) due to the setting bein Feudal Japan being attacked by giant insects, but in general I think it has a very fun and up-beat tone to it, probably mainly because of the main character Jinbei. He's probably one of the most 'pure shonen' protagonists I've ever seen, straightforward, somewhat naive, hard-working, determined, honest to a fault, etc..., but instead of that making him seem completely generic, it's actually pretty endearing.
It's not without some typical shonen fanservicey moments though.

I've actually rewatched the first 3 episodes earlier because I wasn't sure if my memories were still correct (it's been 3 years after all), and while there's a little more fanservice than I remembered, it's still a very fun watch.

"Ah yes, The Soul of Black Folk by Du Bois, his seminal work. I am aware of its influence and prestige. Now, on the topic of hyper oats..."

every book conversation in Psycho-Pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom