• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Since when did Woofington pick our waifus?

Who is the AnimeGAF waifu master anyhow?

Wolf's Rain ep.12
Oh look, the old man's doggy that had been chasing them was awaoken by Cheza and is now part of the crew. The boys needed a little female presence to stay in-line anyway, but this tine it's a wolf girl instead of a flower girl.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 40

Only Americans would steal from a foreign little girl. Well I wish I could believe that. Only Americans would be out of shape such that adult men would get lapped by a sickly 12 year old girl. That I can believe. And Takuto does not have good timing for confessions.

Cornbread78

Megumi is now official waifu and I will kill duckroll if needed to make it happen!

Somebody watched Future diary recently. First your going to cut up Hosann, now kill Ducky? Is this a game to you!?!.

dammit, where's my Charlotte gif with the girl trying to slice up imouto when I need it, lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
EK0xTpJ.gif

Hunter x Hunter Episode 19

So, I finished this episode with real mixed feelings. Starting off, the whole premise of having a tournament where you have to force your opponent to surrender without killing them is interesting. I like how Gon was just totally outmatched by Hanzo, and that Killua was salty that he didn't rank higher. That's where my compliments end however. For starters, goddamn this is a boring nondescript room to have a fight in. I really can't tell you much about the room they fought in. It's this generic tournament white room. Considering this a pretty big moment for Gon and his friends, I think the room should have a little personality here guys.
download.png

Boy am I not feeling this at all.

Gon is just utterly brutalized in this episode, but in pretty weak PG terms to be honest. Even when he has his arm broken he mostly just squeaks out in pain. We're told he can't vomit anymore because he's been beaten that hard, but the floor and Gon actually look pretty clean. The only moment that really sorta conveyed the amount of pain he was in was the moment we saw the world shaking from his first blow to the head. The whole event feels limp to me. Then it takes this turn into a comedic routine between Gon and Hanzo, which just doesn't work considering Gon should be in total agony right now. By the time Hanzo just said "FUCK IT, I'll beat the next guy" I was relieved not for Gon or his friends, but because I was starting to sympathize more with Hanzo.

There's something about HxH that has continuously nagged at me. Violence and the threat of violence doesn't carry much or enough weight in this universe, at least to our heroes. On one hand, it can lend itself to some enjoyable subversive moments, but when I stop to think about it, it leaves me with an unpleasant taste in my mouth. But I'm told it's about to kick off, so I'm gonna stick with it.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.20
Whaaat? So Suzuko is being completely shipped with the princess now and he fights alongside Lelouch to destroy the good/bad guys, lol. I lije the idea that he planning to
build his own country now

So, I finished this episode with real mixed feelings. Starting off, the whole premise of having a tournament where you have to force your opponent to surrender without killing them is interesting. I like how Gon was just totally outmatched by Hanzo, and that Killua was salty that he didn't rank higher. That's where my compliments end however. For starters, goddamn this is a boring nondescript room to have a fight in. I really can't tell you much about the room they fought in. It's this generic tournament white room. Considering this a pretty big moment for Gon and his friends, I think the room should have a little personality here guys.

Gon is just utterly brutalized in this episode, but in pretty weak PG terms to be honest. Even when he has his arm broken he mostly just squeaks out in pain. We're told he can't vomit anymore because he's been beaten that hard, but the floor and Gon actually look pretty clean. The only moment that really sorta conveyed the amount of pain he was in was the moment we saw the world shaking from his first blow to the head. The whole event feels limp to me. Then it takes this turn into a comedic routine between Gon and Hanzo, which just doesn't work considering Gon should be in total agony right now. By the time Hanzo just said "FUCK IT, I'll beat the next guy" I was relieved not for Gon or his friends, but because I was starting to sympathize more with Hanzo.

There's something about HxH that has continuously nagged at me. Violence and the threat of violence doesn't carry much or enough weight in this universe, at least to our heroes. On one hand, it can lend itself to some enjoyable subversive moments, but when I stop to think about it, it leaves me with an unpleasant taste in my mouth. But I'm told it's about to kick off, so I'm gonna stick with it.

This is a good time to link you to the 1999 version of the beginning of that fight.

Gvitor

Damn, this holds up. I watched the 1999 version back when I was starting high school, almost 10 years ago, damn.

If people don't mind the change in VAs, I think it'd be nice to start HxH by watching this series before jumping into the 2011 one (that has 2 "new" arcs after the original ends). Or, at the very least, the first two arcs, since they're censored in the 2011 show. After a while they realize that it wouldn't be possible to censor HxH and just say fuck it, but before we get that, there are some glitter dismemberments. And they regretably skip some pivotal parts of the 1st episode/chapter.

Tuck

I never liked this moment in the series. Gon's stubbornness was not at all endearing, and it felt like his plot armour saw him through to victory more than anything else.

Cornbread78

Someone needs to put together an official pole, so we can settle this for real. Regardless who wins, they will clearly be trash, so it's all good.

Code Geass ep.21
Oh Princess, how bold of you! Now that you went and ran your mouth, you're about to be assasinated....

I never liked this moment in the series. Gon's stubbornness was not at all endearing, and it felt like his plot armour saw him through to victory more than anything else.

He was so stupidly lucky that Hanzo was so friendly to him. I mean I don't give a fuck how stoic Gon attempts to be; if Hanzo actually decided to torture him further he would've had to call it 100% and lost the exam and who knows, maybe crippled forever.

But yeh, hero gotta prevail so to his luck Hanzo likes that tenacity of him and gives him the free win, even when Hanzo has murdered people for his ninja training or whatever.

Torture is something I'm really uncomfortable with and so when it's used I'd hope it's handled maturely and not in this "oh we just wanna up the stakes but never pull through with any consequences" fashion.

That reminds me of TFA when the First Order caught Poe and tortured him but weren't able to get any information out of him until Kylo Ren did his mind-attack thingy. Fucking ridiculous. You're telling me that in that universe they don't have the means to torture some normal human being to the breaking point? Urgh, can't stand it. Why not do the mind-attack crap immediately instead. But hey, stoic heroes just shrug torture of ez-pz.

edit:
That's also why Killua's characterization and background story appears to be more and more bullshit the longer the show goes on. This whole "yeh I got constantly tortured as a kid to harden up" is so unbelievably edgy. How he can be, all things considered, a well enough functioning kid is more than questionable. spoiler for later stuff in HxH2011
Later on it's even shown that he was this really caring older brother figure for Alluka.
Just no.

Clov

The first two games were great, and they ended just fine, so it's not like the knowledge that there's some other shitty stuff out there makes those games worse.

Yep, this is the trick! It's just like with Star Wars; you just ignore the really bad entries, and let the good ones stand on their own. Simple.

sonicmj1

I don't think any of that is true. I mean it feels that way because someone experienced a setting in one form. The way a game expresses itself and interacts with the player is different from how a show would do the same thing. If you replicate the exact same thing but with less scenes, obviously the net total is less. But if you capture the essence of something and adapt it to make the best use of the medium it's in, that changes everything.

22 minutes is actually a very substantial amount of time. The fact that there are tons of series where it feels like nothing happens in an episode is a result of poor plotting, but that there isn't enough time.

I honestly think Nichijou does something like this really well. It'll take a few seconds here and there each episode to show one part of the town, or have a bunch of short skits about a particular group of completely minor characters, and it doesn't take up a lot of time. But the cumulative effect is, as the show goes on, you get a sense of the entire town constantly being active, of all these small personal stories playing out far away from the "main cast" of Mio, Yuko, and Mai.

In my short time with FC, that was the same sort of feeling I got from constantly going back to talk to the townspeople. While the game has to be more blunt because of the character perspective, the technology, and the way you interact with that world, a TV episode can achieve a similar effect with small, carefully chosen slices of life sprinkled here and there.

I recall Log Horizon doing something a little like this, where the PKers that Shiroe's party defeats in episode 2 keep showing up as background characters over time, adapting to the new society being built.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 41

You have got to be shitting me.
I was fairly confident that the whole Eichi thing was going to end badly, but died just before Mitsuki found him? Someone in the Shinigami world must really, really have it out for her.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Future 1

Well it doesn't waste any time racking up the body count. A bunch of security guards dead by the tenth minute and
Yokizome is our first major causality

Decent start overall. Certainly leagues better than DR1's first episode.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.22

WTF...HOLY SHIT, LOLOLOL... I can't breath.. LOLOLOLOL... WTF. Baka Lelouch, baka, baka, baka..
CC and her shitty Geass powers
got all of the "Japanese/Elevens"
mass murdered

"I have a request,
can you all die?"

" I was hoping you could all commit suicide, but I guess you can't"

That was TERRIBLE, but OMFG, I'm glad I can laugh at this since it's so over the top. I'm so glad that didn't get spoiled for me ahead of time.

Code Geass ep.22

WTF...HOLY SHIT, LOLOLOL... I can't breath.. LOLOLOLOL... WTF. Baka Lelouch, baka, baka, baka..
mass murdered

"I have a request,
can you all die?"

That was TERRIBLE, but OMFG, I'm glad I can laugh at this since it's so over the top. I'm so glad that didn't get spoiled for me ahead of time.

Congrats, you've reached the point where Code Geass goes off the rails
and where it's quality starts to take a plunge.

Cornbread78

I had my Re:Zero 18 post yesterday, now I'm awaiting Kiritobread's
Code Geass 22
*Iori Yagami laugh

Lolol. I'm still laughing right now with a huge grin on my face.... That was absolutely terrible, disgraceful and just evil, however...

Full Moon wo Sagashite 41
You have got to be shitting me.
I was fairly confident that the whole Eichi thing was going to end badly, but died just before Mitsuki found him? Someone in the Shinigami world must really, really have it out for her.

Stay strong brotha, these final episodes are tough and amazing at the same time.

Line_HTX

Code Geass ep.22

mass murdered

"I have a request,
can you all die?"

Now the fun part can officially begin for you from here until the end of R2!

Mwa-hahaha!

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 42

2 years ago? So the scant few present day Eichi scenes were Mitsuki's delusions, not a sneak peak of what he was doing? I feel lied to. At least they didn't beat around the bush in telling Mitsuki. And Takuto didn't do anything stupid like pretend to be Eichi. But jeez, talk about kicking a girl when she's down. And she's prepared to freeze to death in her depression. And there's still a lot of episodes left. No more wacky fun times I guess.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Despair 1

Episode is basically reacquainting all of the DR2 characters. Gundham haming it up, Ibuki being eccentric and fun to watch, Hiyoko continuing to be the worst thing ever. Episode definitely leaned on the comedic side of things and was rather amusing at times.

Now begins the countdown to when they all turn to despair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom