• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

forcing my way through kill la kill I have realized that I should have pretty much no respect for the attack on titan soundtrack.

as the majority of the songs I like from attack on titan were already done in kill la kill.

granted the guy seems to just reuse his solid songs over and over :p

jonjonaug

Personally I think Psycho-Pass is great and one of the best sci-fi anime to come out in the last five years. The only things I'd put on the same level are Steins;Gate and Space Dandy, and both of those are very different things.

Speaking of P-P, I'm playing the game that just released for the PS4/Vita now, and even though it takes place early in the first season, it does a way better job of being a followup to the first season than season two does. There's a ton of minor branches within the plot (I counted something like 40 choices on my first playthrough, and almost every choice affected how a scene would play out), two perspectives to play the story from, and a whole lot of endings. The characters aren't self-inserts or carbon copies of previously existing characters, Nadeshiko in particular offers a whole new perspective on the plot and setting of Psycho-Pass that couldn't have been done with any of the characters from season one and she's really entertaining to boot. Usually I expect these sorts of games to just be cheap "hang with the characters from your favorite anime thing" cash-ins, but the creators did a really good job of putting effort into it. Too bad NISA didn't though, the quality of the translated script is dogshit. There's ons of grammar errors, lines that seem to have been copied over wrongly, weirdly phrased sentences, and sometimes it even gets the names of some characters mixed up. It's still a fun game though, I strongly recommend picking it up if you're a fan of the anime.

As for Code Geass: The most Code Geass moment in Code Geass is when Lelouch counts on Chinese landscape planning to be so piss poor that he can easily create quicksand, and this works.

Defuser

Anime VR future is here guys. Poor Isla.

csw7k3ousaao8mosxmr0z.jpg

cj_iwakura

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 11-12

Another double episode and it's probably the peak of the series so far. After the snorefest and the parade of stupidity most of the show have been, I really liked some of the developments here. Even the casual fun they had was nice. I love how ridiculously overpowered Caster has been lately. And they keep adding a lot of fuel to the mystery of Archer's identity, huh.
The payoff is the best part of the entire series.

jman2050

One of my favourite moments in anime. I was floored. It was such a fucking good twist.

Man Code Geass was such a fun ride, the sheer absurdity of it all. Season 2 doesn't really deliver on the greatness like season 1 did, but its good enough.

Code Geass 22 is the most blatantly cheaty abuse of scenario writing ever done in anime, and that's saying something. The writers of Greek tragedies would raise their eyebrows at how brazen Sunrise was in forcing that situation to play out in the manner that it did. And it was hilarious.

In a way it was the best thing to happen to the show because now the production staff no longer had to maintain the pretense that their story should be taken the least bit seriously.

Eumi

HOLY FUCK! They remembered Danganronpa has a tone!

And it... didn't help at all. Holy shit, that's bad.

So you're telling me that Juzo let Junko get away because she threatened to tell people he was gay? That's either stupid or just further evidence that Juzo is the worst.

That punishment was a cool idea, but it also completely misunderstood what makes punishments good. It was so much less effective than Chiakis normal punishment in DR2 because it's not supposed to be multiple minutes long. The speed and lack of dialogue is what makes them effective. They're sudden, brutal, and over too quick. This was just drawn out meaning you start asking questions, like "hold on a minute, this makes no sense".

Alright, that's more of a statement but still.

Also good job ruining Izuru. I guess. It's not too bad but yet but I can feel it coming.

jgminto

Kill Bill: Vol. 1
The perfect pastiche of asian cinema, this is Tarantino at his absolute best. The way visuals and sounds blend together turn already exciting action scenes into perfectly crafted thrill rides. The moments where music cuts in and out of scenes brings the audience into the scene so intensely, it almost feels like the film is physically grabbing you. The actual anime scene is also an incredible piece of work, which was surprising as I had never seen anything of it before. I would have thought a collaboration between Tarantino and a team of brilliant animation staff would seep into some sort of cultural anime osmosis, it certainly deserves to. I'd rate it higher than anything else I've seen this year, go watch it if you haven't already.

pbayne

Someone check Cornbread's pulse. Clannad(English version) coming to Vita.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279369

If there ever was a show that could sum up everything that could be wrong with a mecha show, Aldnoah Zero was it.

It had a great set-up of being essentially a reverse Gundam show but the first season was the height of mediocre mecha that fooled everyone into watching another season by having a huge twist ending. The second season though was an unmitigated train wreck.

It was also saddled with possibly the worst protagonist of recent years.

Personally I think Psycho-Pass is great and one of the best sci-fi anime to come out in the last five years. The only things I'd put on the same level are Steins;Gate and Space Dandy, and both of those are very different things.

High Five. Excited for the game too but jesus its gonna get buried under the amount of big games coming out soon..

Qurupeke

Is Grimgar complete trash? I was thinking of adding it to the 2016 backlog. I remember mostly negative impressions at the start and some production mistakes later.

Is Grimgar complete trash? I was thinking of adding it to the 2016 backlog. I remember mostly negative impressions at the start and some production mistakes later.

Grimgar starts off pretty low and certainly has some tits and ass fanservice, but actually improves story wise as it goes along since while it is the trapped in a fantasy world setting it is changed up by the fact the characters start off as literally dirt poor, shit gear, level 1 newbies rather than people with OP abilities. It also has some very nice background art.

I liked it but it had several problems. It tried to do too many pandering shots. The concept itself was interesting and I've seen production much worse than that (orange this season is a good example). But those pandering shots man. They. Just. Kept. Happening.

Qurupeke

Grimgar starts off pretty low and certainly has some tits and ass fanservice, but actually improves story wise as it goes along since while it is the trapped in a fantasy world setting it is changed up by the fact the characters start off as literally dirt poor, shit gear, level 1 newbies rather than people with OP abilities. It also has some very nice background art.

I liked it but it had several problems. It tried to do too many pandering shots. The concept itself was interesting and I've seen production much worse than that (orange this season is a good example). But those pandering shots man. They. Just. Kept. Happening.

I see.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nico and Miki best idols.
someone said nicomaki and i came running
QFT

Kill Bill: Vol. 1
The perfect pastiche of asian cinema, this is Tarantino at his absolute best. The way visuals and sounds blend together turn already exciting action scenes into perfectly crafted thrill rides. The moments where music cuts in and out of scenes brings the audience into the scene so intensely, it almost feels like the film is physically grabbing you. The actual anime scene is also an incredible piece of work, which was surprising as I had never seen anything of it before. I would have thought a collaboration between Tarantino and a team of brilliant animation staff would seep into some sort of cultural anime osmosis, it certainly deserves to. I'd rate it higher than anything else I've seen this year, go watch it if you haven't already.
Vol 1 vs Vol 2 could serve as some kind of personality test.

(Of course I think Vol 2 is much better than Vol 1... lol)

It's not complete trash, and the BDs are out so you can watch a completed and corrected version instead of the rushed broadcast version. I liked what it was going for with its subdued atmosphere and marvelous aesthetic sense. The main things I disliked about what I watched was the typical LN perviness which felt particularly out of place, the atrocious music and bad insert songs, and the clear game/MMO structure of the world.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 45

So Takuto isn't Mitsuki's father, but a friend from his band. I suppose that's for the best. About time Grandma dropped san from Mitsuki. Way too informal from a grandma.

It's not complete trash, and the BDs are out so you can watch a completed and corrected version instead of the rushed broadcast version. I liked what it was going for with its subdued atmosphere and marvelous aesthetic sense. The main things I disliked about what I watched was the typical LN perviness which felt particularly out of place, the atrocious music and bad insert songs, and the clear game/MMO structure of the world.

I actually think that the show could have been pretty damn great, had it not been for the fan service. It tried to take a more psychological approach, and left the mysteries of the world up in the air. The show was about the characters in this fantasy world that you didn't really know about, it was unknown to you as the viewer and to them as characters.

Jintor

New Game 11

Man I bet they totally planned out the episodes to match up with TGS this episode. The game trailer they put in is fucking sick, really great addition to the show.

zomg, ghosthazard ad on the back of the brochure.

Gotta say the showfloor is way less crowded than I'd expect...

yagami in cute mode is cuuuuuute

Jintor

it's pretty goddamn yuri imho. Not as blatent as yuru yuri, say, but it's definitely on that wagon.

honestly i kinda just put that last episode on in the background while I was researching something...

PK Gaming

So just how yuri is New Game?

I'm curious to watch it but to be honest constant yuri isn't my thing.

It's like your dime a dozen modern slice of life cute girls anime

So we have the

-The yuri crush
-Girls being ridiculously intimate and blushing a lot
-"yuri" moments

zulux21

Kill la kill 1-14

the first 7 episodes are still a mess of pacing, poorly placed panty/crotch/boob shots, all flash no substance episodes that I don't find to be very good at all.

the 7 after that though have been better. most of the elite 4 stuff was flash and not substance (aka I found the actual fights fairly boring, but the back story of the characters were at least nice), but we are working towards some actual substance to the story which is nice. plus we aren't focused on mako or her horrible family which is also helping as a gag or two an episode from them is fine, but they can't remotely carry an episode.

I think I am having the same issue with the action in this series that I had with hellsing ultimate. It's focused on being so epic and off the walls that really it just falls completely flat. Instead of building proper tension it's just big attack after big attack and it's rather boring despite a lot of stuff going on. It's why I am finding the more recent stuff more interesting since it hasn't just been about big battles. It's been properly setting up stuff.

anyways the show has at least improved enough that it doesn't feel like a chore to watch anymore, which is a nice plus. here's hoping the last 10-11 episodes are more like the last few episodes instead of the first 7 episodes.

JCG

more Berserk in spring. aw yeah

At this point I am more interested in the upcoming musou game than in the anime, but I guess this is still good news.

In a way it was the best thing to happen to the show because now the production staff no longer had to maintain the pretense that their story should be taken the least bit seriously.

Given the sheer diversity of contents and means involved, I don't think it was ever a matter of taking it seriously or not. It's far less binary than that and the whole process didn't stop, much less start, with the episode 22 debacle. This is confirmed by the existence of distinct yet non-mutually exclusive attitudes towards the entire show and the fact its own variations in quality aren't following a linear path.

So I'd say the Code Geass TV series serves as proof that combining the highs and lows of narrative spectacle can be dangerous yet also rewarding, because there's still a distinct overlap where it is possible to provide entertainment and investment to a large audience.

Cornbread78

So just how yuri is New Game?

I'm curious to watch it but to be honest constant yuri isn't my thing.

It's all teasing.... Seriously, they should just ship the two managers already, but they won't. Other than that, it's just your typical cute girls anime with adult characters in a workplace setting that is a pretty fun watch (nothing special) and harmless overall.

Line_HTX

Ko-chan is way better dressed up for a magazine interview. Hell, even the Director mashed her phone with her thumb to get a lot of stills, haha

Chase17

forcing my way through kill la kill I have realized that I should have pretty much no respect for the attack on titan soundtrack.

as the majority of the songs I like from attack on titan were already done in kill la kill.

granted the guy seems to just reuse his solid songs over and over :p

The Seven Deadly Sins ost though.

I didn't even realize it was him.
Until I found out, and then realized I should have noticed sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom