• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

Code Geass ep.22

WTF...HOLY SHIT, LOLOLOL... I can't breath.. LOLOLOLOL... WTF. Baka Lelouch, baka, baka, baka..
CC and her shitty Geass powers
got all of the "Japanese/Elevens"
mass murdered

"I have a request,
can you all die?"

" I was hoping you could all commit suicide, but I guess you can't"

That was TERRIBLE, but OMFG, I'm glad I can laugh at this since it's so over the top. I'm so glad that didn't get spoiled for me ahead of time.

One of my favourite moments in anime. I was floored. It was such a fucking good twist.

Man Code Geass was such a fun ride, the sheer absurdity of it all. Season 2 doesn't really deliver on the greatness like season 1 did, but its good enough.

JCG

Code Geass ep.22

That was TERRIBLE, but OMFG, I'm glad I can laugh at this since it's so over the top. I'm so glad that didn't get spoiled for me ahead of time.

If you took a peek at the staff room at that exact time, you would probably find them chuckling like children at how over-the-top and WTF that was. That's the sort of environment surrounding the production and whether or not you think this is a good thing definitely colors your enjoyment of the series. The creators liked theatrical, over-the-top craziness and playing around with silliness even in dramatic scenes.

But for the record...as contrived as the trigger is, they were still telegraphing the whole situation pretty damn hard. I also think the next three episodes are all quite good and not just for craaaaaazy reasons. So for me there's an unusual balance at work rather than just the plot twist(s) alone. Which is what most "Code Geass clones" have trouble understanding.

Akame Ga Kill! was like low rent Code Geass. Even ended with a giant Robbit.

From what I can remember, Akame ga Kill was even less interesting than something like Valvrave and far more obsessed with ultra-violence. I didn't care for it. I can enjoy the insanity and over-the-top moments, mind you, but something else needs to be there too.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 43

So that's what it looks like when someone just gives up at living. If Mitsuki had time she'd probably get better eventually with the proper support. But I guess time was always the issue. Grandma is finally showing care for Mitsuki, not just doing it because she feels she has to.

Code Geass ep.22

WTF...HOLY SHIT, LOLOLOL... I can't breath.. LOLOLOLOL... WTF. Baka Lelouch, baka, baka, baka..
mass murdered

And there it is. You see how effective that was? How everything built up in the show until that point is now exploding?

That's Code Geass.

One of these days we'll get another show like Code Geass.

Personally, I'd rather we have mecha shows NOT try to follow Geass' example, the same way mecha shows shouldn't follow Evangelion's example.

You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

We had Cross Ange.

Which was the worst thing to ever bear the name of mecha in recent memory.

Only thing missing is another 25 episode season.

I will literally break down in tears and start sobbing if this happens.

Taruranto

Psycho-Pass is a show that loves to name drop books and philosophers with hardly anything to back it up as being substance

Ahah, yeah.

I'm surprised I see it often getting mentioned among the "good anime", at least on the gaming side, I remember almost everyone being incredibly disappointed by it. (Especially the first half of the first season with the characters literally running in circle)

We now have a new list of candidates, would any of the below work, or not work for the next "Let's Watch?"

-Mushibugyou.
-Ergo Proxy
-Terra e
-Jyu-Oh-Sei: Planet of the Beast King
-Xam'd: Lost Memories
-Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad

Terra E is a masterpiece, among the best sci-fi anime ever.
Jyu-Oh-Sei is kinda bad.

JCG

I like Cross Ange, but really it doesn't even come close. But it got the closest. At least it was trashier.

Man, it was the absolute trashiness of Cross Ange that ruined the show for me.

At that point you're practically competing with outright hentai for exploitation points.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Code Geass ep.22

mass murdered

"I have a request,
can you all die?"

" I was hoping you could all commit suicide, but I guess you can't"

You know whos really at fault...
CC did nothing wrong but eat pizzahut.
And there it is. You see how effective that was? How everything built up in the show until that point is now exploding?

That's Code Geass.

Personally, I'd rather we have mecha shows NOT try to follow Geass' example, the same way mecha shows shouldn't follow Evangelion's example.

You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice.

Which was the worst thing to ever bear the name of mecha in recent memory.

I will literally break down in tears and start sobbing if this happens.
Didnt that other mech show try to be like code geass..
Like that one with the fem mc.

Cornbread78

You know whos really at fault...
CC did nothing wrong but eat pizzahut.

I legit LoL'd in ep. 21 when she was sitting there, plate in hand waiting for the largest pizza ever to finish up and Suzuka threw it into the tree. That sigh of depression was priceless.

Thanks for not spoiling that scene though guys, that was hilarious.

Also, part of Cross Ange was fun just because of how over-the-top everything was despite the ridiculous ecchi shit going on.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Future 2 part 1

Well the black guy didn't die first at least.
My reaction to his death was essentially "Well that happened."

Dangan Ronpa 3 Future 2 part 2

...well holy shit
Did they actually killed Aoi? Is no one is safe after all?
I'm legit shocked that happened.

Kyoko is going get axe'd isn't she?

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 039

ZOnVYWt.jpg
hOVRshS.jpg
NtxnTxe.jpg

Yang Wen-Li may be a genius tactician and a burgeoning philosopher, but this is the smartest thing he's ever said.

Appear I'm in the minority around here. I think Psycho-Pass is a pretty good series. (Not the fucking sequel, geez, fuck that thing.) It's certainly not perfect, and it doesn't have a lot of competition as far as anime sci-fi thrillers go, but I would put it above average.

Appear I'm in the minority around here. I think Psycho-Pass is a pretty good series. (Not the fucking sequel, geez, fuck that thing.) It's certainly not perfect, and it doesn't have a lot of competition as far as anime sci-fi thrillers go, but I would put it above average.
I liked it a lot too don't worry. Movie was pretty damn great too, and totally put my worries to rest about the series. Here's hoping for a season 3 in which Urobuchi is back on the helm again on the writing front. Ubukata tried and failed badly with season 2.

Aldnoah Zero was worse
For real fuck that show. Me and a buddy of mine from college hold the biggest grudge against it. What a fucking trainwreck.

JCG

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 039

Yang Wen-Li may be a genius tactician and a burgeoning philosopher, but this is the smartest thing he's ever said.

Wise words indeed. I've told myself that I won't be rewatching LOGH until the official Sentai release finally comes out, sooner or later, but Yang is still the man.

I'd say Infinite Ryvius, Fafner and, to an even greater degree, RahXephon (arguably the best Eva-derived project) all made it work.

The jury's still undecided as far as the Rebuild movies are concerned, but I am sure Anno will find a way to surprise everyone.

Psycho-Pass is fine, there are a lot of things I like about it and there isn't really a lot of anime like it. But there is no denying its attempting to bat way above its own average. It's a show that desperately wants to be counted among its best forefathers. Maybe if you aren't familiar with Philip K Dick's stuff or movies like Brazil, Logan's Run or Metropolis then it would seem outstanding, but as much as PP would love to be those works, it isn't those works and it doesn't offer anything as valuable or poignant.

Psycho-Pass is fine, there are a lot of things I like about it and there isn't really a lot of anime like it. But there is no denying its attempting to bat way above its own average. It's a show that desperately wants to be counted among its best forefathers. Maybe if you aren't familiar with Philip K Dick's stuff or movies like Brazil, Logan's Run or Metropolis then it would seem outstanding, but as much as PP would love to be those works, it isn't those works and it doesn't offer anything as valuable or poignant.
I want more cyberpunk done right. Psycho-Pass when it came out was awesome since I was knee deep into Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, and it reminded me a lot of it. Now Altered Carbon is getting a Netflix show and Miguel Sapochnik is directing the first episode. I'm living.

I want more cyberpunk done right. Psycho-Pass when it came out was awesome since I was knee deep into Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon, and it reminded me a lot of it. Now Altered Carbon is getting a Netflix show and Miguel Sapochnik is directing the first episode. I'm living.

Wait until 2024 for Cyberpunk 2077 on the Playstation Virtuoso 3.5!!!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
why be an apologist for psycho-pass when it's objectively garbage? i'm so confused...

anime has no shortage of sci-fi stuff, and "thriller" type material is not exactly uncommon either. you had stuff like shinsekai yori airing at the same time as psycho-pass. the intersection of technology and psychology is just so ineptly handled in psycho-pass compared to what you can find in other places.

why be an apologist for psycho-pass when it's objectively garbage? i'm so confused...

anime has no shortage of sci-fi stuff, and "thriller" type material is not exactly uncommon either. you had stuff like shinsekai yori airing at the same time as psycho-pass. the intersection of technology and psychology is just so ineptly handled in psycho-pass compared to what you can find in other places.

Is it that crazy that people can enjoy Psycho-Pass AND other sci-fi shows?

Just like people can enjoy Souls titles and not go around on every thread saying "oh god I can't play other action rpgs because Souls is the best"

Aldnoah Zero was worse

At least people forgot about that!

It was never stirred up to become this massive sensation that everybody watched because of how shocking it was. Nobody watching it aside from Corvo and Jexhius ever stopped to call it out on its bullshit because it kept spewing out bullshit every second and didn't care at all!

And that's why it's loved so much. The show doesn't care, and never did care. The only thing it cares about is showing the most disgusting, vile, and putrid imagery on screen.

All while advertising itself as being a show about a girl in a giant robot fighting dragons.

Ugh this show makes me so mad.

man poor Kubo doesn't stand a chance against Zootopia in the awards.

If ParaNorman couldn't beat whatever the fuck it was that won (Big Hero 6 I think) then this doesn't stand a chance.

Cornbread78

Mob Psycho ep.2
Look at Mob, even he can look cool under pressure, lol. Also, that club choice at the end was great. Good choice Mob, good choice, lol. Seigan is useless once again as well.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite 44

Someone with Madoka's energy and ignorance may be Mitsuki's best chance honestly. But if Mitsuki won't listen that can't do her any good. Mitsuki is dying, Takuto is getting his memories back, which means he's dying, and Meroko is running to the jerk for help, which is typical Meroko stupidity. Sometimes I wonder why I'm watching this.

Yes, it's sadly not a very common topic throughout most anime communities these days.

Eh, things get swept under the rug during a boom period. I don't see anyone talk about Betterman, Key the Metal Idol, Gasaraki, or Tekkaman Blade for instance.

Actually add most of Sunrise's 90s work to that list.

Red Frost

Banned
I'm glad I never got around to watching Danganronpa 3 at all, because it sounds fucking terrible.

Hopefully this is the necessary purge so that V3 can actually be good and not be drowning in the worst excesses of the series that have come out in the last couple of entries.

Content-wise, I'd say there's nothing wrong with Danganronpa 3. There's been some great moments here and there that anyone that cares about the lore at all would enjoy. Even today's episode had some fantastic tension at points.

The problem isn't really the show itself, its what Despair side has done to previous entries, retroactively making certain plot points far less compelling. For me, that alone isn't enough to ruin things, it's just a damn big flaw.

Future side is fine though. Its biggest crime is effectively discarding UDG as anything more than a tiny blip in the despair-laden world.

Either way, I think fans should watch the show unless you're really dedicated to meaningless head-canon.

I can see how generally, the franchise would have lots of room for comedic lighthearted stuff what with the settings being a school and an island, but when the overall situation of the story is 100% "we're trapped in this room and we gotta get out otherwise we'll die" from beginning to end, it just never really means anything to me in the long run. Especially with the whole "DESPAIR" aspect of that one statement always being a massive focus. I feel like I'd just be miserable watching it, so I just don''t bother.

If you're averse to getting to know characters, assigning favorites, then seeing them die, then yeah this isn't a series for you. Though for me, it was a lot easier in DR1, but DR2 is REALLY cruel at one point in killing off a certain character. Had me bummed out for a few days.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 040

I've often said that this series is dry and detailed enough to be a History documentary, and here you have an episode that is Julian actually watching a History documentary about Rudolf the Great. Now in essence this would deserve its own 110 episode series, but it serves its purpose here as a not-quite-recap of the background of this story as the wheel of time rolls back to the beginning with Reinhard in Stage 1 of this very documentary. Like most sci-fi stories, its better not to think too hard about how we actually got here. "Rudolf chose only white dudes with Germanic names to be nobles, definitely not because this is just World War 1." "Ahl Heinnesen built a big ass rocket ship out of hollowed out dry ice." Alright, if thats how we get space WW1 then fine. No story is perfect.

ibyea

Banned

Haha, yeah. I really like Psycho Pass, but its attempt to look smart is pretty funny.

ibyea

Banned

There do exists categories between good and garbage. Psycho Pass does a fine job at being just plain entertainment, while not rising above it. Which is fine, even if the show's attempt to seem smarter than it really is can be grating/funny. Season 2 of Psycho Pass though, that is what garbage actually looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom