• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Alderamin episode 11

This was one of my favourite episodes so far. It was the first episode where we really saw two competent commanders face off, leading their forces and adapting to each other while issuing new commands. Was quite the tense episode with some nice action, also that Yatori scene at the end was great.

Alderamin episode 11

This was one of my favourite episodes so far. It was the first episode where we really saw two competent commanders face off, leading their forces and adapting to each other while issuing new commands. Was quite the tense episode with some nice action, also that Yatori scene at the end was great.
Nice I mentioned last week how I was very much looking forward to seeing what came about with the introduction of someone just like Ikta as an antagonist. Seems like the show is delivering on it. I shall watch the episode tonight.

Garo the animation 12-24

First of all the first 12 and these last 12 are completely different in term of enjoyement. The 2nd part his much better on all front.

The animation while iffy at places is most of the time amazing
Leons character gets a major major boost over his terrible part 1 self
The story gets much more engaging too. The addition and the increased presence of other characters like Alfonso and Leon's love interest helps a ton here.

Episode 18 is probably my favourite for the awesome fight and awesome development for Leon.
Leon vs Alfonso

If I had to say part 1 is like a 6 and part 2 more of a 8.

Wanderer5

Berserk #12

Ugh Spring 2017 for the second half of Berserk. Dat Berserker armor tease with it.

Well the Tower of Conviction chapter comes to a close. Overall I think it was pretty faithful to the manga and started being pretty enjoyable in ways after episode 3. The CGI still sadly had some crappy or choppy moments throughout, but it isn't enough to turn me off from the series.

It going to be interesting of what they are going to cover for the next cour.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 041

This is getting really interesting now. I think at this point in the series, Reinhard's side is looking a lot better then Yang's. Yes, at this point in the series the benevolent dictator is looking better then the democratic nation. The Empire is already stacked with great commanders and massive amounts of fleets and soldiers. Its Yang and Schenkopf versus Reinhard, Kircheis, Oberstein, Mittermeyer, Reuntahl, Fahrenheit...Reinhard has all the advantages here. He can use the Phezzan Corridor as he pleases to blindside the Alliance. After seizing control of the power of the Empire, he still has the widespread support if his people and the popular opinion to invade the FPA is overwhelming. While this rise in support is natural after the overthrowing of a regime, how long Reinhard can cling to the role of the benevolent dictator remains to be seen - if you believe that a benevolent dictator can truly exist and isn't a contradiction in and of itself, that is. Most dictatorships start out positive, and by the time people realize they aren't its too late, much like Rudolf von Goldenbaum or any number of historical examples. But as of right now, Reinhard is efficiently using the benefits of tyranny to forge his new dynasty in a way that wouldn't necessarily be classified as evil, nor would I say its really bad at all.

On Yang's side, Yang has to deal with the lack of military talent and the politicians actively trying to sabotage Yang's fleet by breaking it up and sending Merkatz this way and Julian that way, while at the same time relying on him exclusively to control Iserlohn. The power struggle between the military and the politicians is real, whether they want it to be or not. The politicians are deathly afraid of Yang turning traitor and deciding to become a dictator himself, because he totally could with Iserlohn. Whether or not he wants to (he does not want to) is irrelevant because the politicians can't think outside their own sphere. Right now this is the true test of the benevolent dictator vs the democratic nation - despite the (probably) unavoidable flaws of despotism and the extremely apparent and already existing flaws of the democracy, one would still choose the democracy on principle. But its hard to look at Reinhard as he is right now and say he's actually worse then Trunicht. I assume with the parallels between Julian and Reinhard that the end of this series will not be Yang vs Reinhard, but Julian vs Reinhard, either as Prime Minister of the FPA or as an Admiral. After all, this war has already been going on for centuries, why would the conclusion be so rushed? Yang, Trunicht and Rubinsky all have successors lined up, although as of now Yang and Trunicht's are the same boy.

Along with the many, many ideas floating around in this series right now is the one of succession. Succession in a dictatorship, a democracy, and an oligarchy. Once Reinhard truly seizes the title of Kaiser, he will have to think about successors, and he already is. He doesn't wish to fall into the same trap as Rudolf the Great who's own bastard son was born idiotic, a great blow to his bloodline purity laws. There's no reason why Reinhard's sons would be the same genius Reinhard himself is - if you end up on a system of monarchy and continue down that line for a great time, eventually you will end up with Friedrich IV, less then a shadow of Rudolf's ideologies, stature and power. In a democracy, the successor to Trunicht will be elected - but politicians love to hold onto their power for as long as they can, so its not that simple, and Trunicht's time isn't close to being up yet. Phezzan's Rubinsky's own son (whos name I forget) is his aide, and although Rubinsky doesn't believe that his successor has to be his own son, his son desperately wants to take from his father what he would never give him. There's also becoming the successor of Humanity itself, as was Rudolf's goal. If Reinhard is as magnanimous as he thinks he is and the FPA is as corrupt as he thinks it is, then the FPA has little reason to exist. Would the universe be better off united under Reinhard as a despot then split?

(it kinda looks like it right now but probably not)

Eumi

Finally, a self insert character I can get behind: an asshole who just wants to fuck Kira.

Going back to stand user of the week next, but we're also gonna get a long string of some of Jojo's best moments.

Wonder if we'll get a new op before the series ends?

Narag

Berserk (2016} 12 FIN

Really enjoyed this in the end despite all the problems the show had. I don't think it's a particularly good show but I think it's a show that started awful and got better as it went along so I don't feel like I wasted my time watching it. I'm looking forward to the next arc to see if the upward trend of episode quality continues.

I'll probably go through the movies finally at the beginning of the year so I can get a sense of how complementary this was meant to be. I do think some of the vitriol towards the show was a little hyperbolic aside from the criticism of the early episodes which deserved every bit of it. It's a weird problem because while the property likely does deserve to be handled better, I do wonder if there's this dilemma of never being able to please the fandom overall. The past three months I've seen suggestions that are either memetic (based Madhouse should have done this, etc) or just economically unfeasible such as 40 1 hour OVA eps. To me, the suggestion that's made the most sense was if they couldn't do a good job, they shouldn't have done one at all but its weird how this property is put on a pedestal.like it is. I don't think it's ever going to get the HxH '11 treatment because going through the Golden Age for the fourth time sounds tedious. Like I've said from the start though, I'm hopeful this follows the same sort of path JoJo did with increasingly competent adaptations being put forth.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Miki is my favorite of the original cast. Praise her, bury Haruka for trying to kill Producer.

CM1CAcu.gif

Line_HTX

Kabaneri Smartphone/Browser Game Reunites Staff

The story of the game takes place after the end of the anime, and will include familiar characters such as Ikoma and Mumei. The game will also add original characters designed at Wit Studio, the animation studio behind the original anime. Junpei Kasaoka, who handled the overall setting of the anime and wrote the Kōtetsujō no Kabaneri: Akatsuki (Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: Daybreak) novel, is writing the game's story.

Canon story on a mobile game, fuck that shit.

Finally, a self insert character I can get behind: an asshole who just wants to fuck Kira.

Going back to stand user of the week next, but we're also gonna get a long string of some of Jojo's best moments.

Wonder if we'll get a new op before the series ends?

Already confirmed. It's going to be called Great Days. Somebody's already posted the cover in the JoJo thread.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin Episode 11:

I feel like playing some Advance Wars after watching this episode. Also, war, war never changes as soldiers are lost and our heroes are forced to deal with the consequences a little more personally this time. Could have done with out the blindingly obvious foreshadowing though.

Qurupeke

91 Days 10
8CO8KeF.png

Even this anime is excited about the next season!

Damn it, I really hoped this wouldn't end that way. It's a shame Corteo got tangled up in this shit. I can see everyone other than Nero dying by the end of the series.

Sterok

Full Moon wo Sagashite Final Thoughts

Usually when I'm picking an anime I go off recommendations I read on the internet or just google something close to what I like. I was browsing for an idol anime to put on The List and skimmed a description of this. I saw it was about a 12 year old girl turning older so she could become an idol, and I thought that was interesting, so it was put on The List. A few days later I read it more closely, and well, I had to watch it right then. When the premise of the show is that the 12 year old protagonist has cancer, you know this has to be something special.

The plot centers around Mitsuki and her quest to be an idol while battling cancer. The early episodes focus more on the idol part, having loads of comedy and SOL segments where we get used to the main trio. Some of the early fillers weren't the best, but on the whole they were necessary to truly establish how close Mitsuki was with everyone. She became a stronger person and helped others with their troubles both as Mitsuki and as Full Moon. It's not hard to see why Takuto fell for her when she's this sweet. And it all paid off by the end as it allowed us to feel the tragedies all the characters were going through along with whatever triumphs they won.

Mitsuki herself was a great character. Sweet and kind, yet determined all the same. She really sold herself as a great idol, and by the end you really want her to somehow make it out alive. Takuto cared the most for her in his own way. His backstory helped explain why he felt so much for her, and while he made a lot of mistakes, it was all for a girl's life that he was supposed to take. Meroko was more comedic with her antics and constant love declarations, but she took both her job and her friends very seriously. Wakaouji and Ooshige were Mitsuki's primary support, and they were great at it. They struggled to find the line between helping Mitsuki accomplish her dream and keeping her safe from doing something stupid. Grandma was far too restrictive and cold, but she did come to care for Mitsuki, albeit almost too late. Madoka was well developed from an arrogant idol that could do nothing but complain into a strong motivator for Full Moon. Izumi was probably my least favorite character. Not because he was a jerk, but because he was an outright antagonist when the show didn't need one. Mitsuki's cancer and Takuto's memories were drama enough, and his constant threatening of taking Mitsuki's soul didn't make the whole thing better.

The music was fantastic. Full Moon's songs were strong and emotional, and it felt like they all meant something. They were few in number, but that made each one more impactful.

Full Moon may be the most powerful anime I've seen yet. There are plenty of depressing anime that made me feel sad like Clannad, Madoka Magica, or Evangelion but there was always a certain sense of amusement I got from seeing suffering. Not here. Mitsuki's plight was just sad, and seeing how its rooted in an illness a lot of people suffer from it doesn't feel right to have fun with that. Thankfully it's not full out depressing with plenty of comedic moments and hope spots, and in the end I came out in a decent mood.

Overall, Full Moon is a strong anime, and one I recommend if you want to see a moving story featuring a great cast and an emotional roller coaster. It's got some flaws, but they're fairly minor, and I think I'll remember this one for a long time.

Razmos

Cute high earth defense club love 2nd season just got ridiculously hype lol. Surprised this show isn't talked about more, it's great.

Hmm that would suggest the quality could wildly vary, right?

It could, sure. Animator JD Bahi was enthusing on Twitter about working on one Generations episode with a great team, so I'm looking forward to seeing that one.

Pokemon Generations 1-2

Pretty neat. Wish we got a legit series with a more serious feel.

Certainly won't be getting that on Japanese prime-time television.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Future 3

What a cop-out!
Gozu died but not Asahina!? I was almost thinking you'd have the balls to off the remaining DR1 characters DR3 but I guess not.

In the meantime, Sakakura continues to be an asshole to everyone not named Munakata while Munakata calls out Makoto on his hope speeches. Being completely honest, I gotta side with Munataka on this one.

Oh and the fedora guy is suspicious as hell.

duckroll

Garo the animation 12-24

First of all the first 12 and these last 12 are completely different in term of enjoyement. The 2nd part his much better on all front.

The animation while iffy at places is most of the time amazing
Leons character gets a major major boost over his terrible part 1 self
The story gets much more engaging too. The addition and the increased presence of other characters like Alfonso and Leon's love interest helps a ton here.

Episode 18 is probably my favourite for the awesome fight and awesome development for Leon.
Leon vs Alfonso

If I had to say part 1 is like a 6 and part 2 more of a 8.

Told you! When we sing praises of the show, it's because it really got going once the plot gained steam. Before that it was hit or miss stories with REALLY bad production values.

The most exciting thing about the sequel film that opened in Japan earlier this year is that the animator who directed that awesome sword fight episode also co-directed the movie and basically handled all the action parts. :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
91 Days Episode 10:

Yep, this is going down like a revenge tale involving the mob would go down. Also, good to see the timeline got defined at the end of the episode.

Turn A Gundam was 25 episodes too long and by the end of it I didn't even care about the story I just wanted it to be over. Thing drag on way too long at numerous points in the story.

Told you! When we sing praises of the show, it's because it really got going once the plot gained steam. Before that it was hit or miss stories with REALLY bad production values.

The most exciting thing about the sequel film that opened in Japan earlier this year is that the animator who directed that awesome sword fight episode also co-directed the movie and basically handled all the action parts. :)

Yea maybe it was not just my imagination then but just looking at Alfonso's animations as a whole throughout the series I did feel he looked better in the later half.

But the bolded is very nice to know since it really was the best part for me! That 2d sword fight was sooo good.

Looking forward to that movie, but I suppose it will take sometime before we get a chance to see it.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Despair 3

After two episodes of what is essentially faffing about, shit is beginning to hit the fan with Sato and Natsumi's deaths. And I can assume Sakakura's actions led to
Hajime deciding to become Izuru
so good job essentially setting off the events of the entire series Sakakura.

On a more general note, One thing I both like and dislike about Despair is largely focusing on Hajime and Chiaki. While more Chiaki is nice and I can finally see how
Hajime became Izuru
the fact that characters like Ibuki and Gundham basically get shafted is someone i'm disappointed by.

duckroll

Yea maybe it was not just my imagination then but just looking at Alfonso's animations as a whole throughout the series I did feel he looked better in the later half.

But the bolded is very nice to know since it really was the best part for me! That 2d sword fight was sooo good.

Looking forward to that movie, but I suppose it will take sometime before we get a chance to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBHb_cNr6BA

Start fapping. <3

Turn A Gundam was 25 episodes too long and by the end of it I didn't even care about the story I just wanted it to be over. Thing drag on way too long at numerous points in the story.

I feel like it's good to really pace yourself through the show. Watch an episode a day, take a break from it, come back later, etc. That's what I'm doing.

The rustic setting helps give it a really relaxed tone in many parts. While it is slow, it's also sincere. Loran is one of the best Gundam protagonists ever.

pbayne

City Hunter 9

So the bad guys know they can't beat Ryo in a fight so their next plan is too beat him by over-sexing him...Spectacular.

Thud

Berserk #12

Ugh Spring 2017 for the second half of Berserk. Dat Berserker armor tease with it.

Well the Tower of Conviction chapter comes to a close. Overall I think it was pretty faithful to the manga and started being pretty enjoyable in ways after episode 3. The CGI still sadly had some crappy or choppy moments throughout, but it isn't enough to turn me off from the series.

It going to be interesting of what they are going to cover for the next cour.

There will be more?

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Japanese fans pick anime's ace mecha pilots.

1. Amuro Ray (Gundam '79)
2. Kira Yamato (Gundam SEED)
3. Master Asia (G Gundam)
4. Kamille Bidan (Zeta Gundam)
5. Setsuna F. Seiei (Gundam 00)
6. Domon Kasshu (G Gundam)
7. Char Aznable (Gundam '79)
8. Guy Shishioh (The King of Braves GaoGaiGar)
9. Heero Yuy (Gundam Wing)
10. Suzaku Kururugi (Code Geass)
11. Simon (Gurren Lagann)
12. Chirico Cuvie (VOTOMS)
13. Inaho Kaizuka (Aldonoah Zero)
14. Shinji Ikari (Evangelion)
15. Mikazuki Augus (Gundam IBO)
16. Athrun Zala (Gundam SEED)
17. Hikaru Ichijo (Super Dimension Fortress Macross)
18. Banagher Links (Gundam Unicorn)
19. Kaworu Nagisa (Evangelion)
20. Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)

I have no idea how Simon got less votes than Suzaku, or how Domon lost to freaking Setsuna and Kamille, or how Shinji lost to a character from Aldonoah friggin' Zero, but this is a much more solid top twenty than I expected. At least Master Asia is in the top 3 and good ol' Guy Shishioh is in the top 10.

Still, Noriko from Gunbuster not being on this list is DISGRACEFUL.

Dangan Ronpa 3 Future 4

No deaths this episode
though the old guy will surely bite it next episode
but there was a lot of focus on Munakata this episode. Somehow I get the feeling that my opinion of him will worsen over time.

Regarding the wheelchair girl in the end;
My first thought was that since she got kicked to the right by that boxer asshole she'd be dead but it looks like she's a robot? Guess I'll find out next episode.

Lautaro

Fucking Feels Friday, man.

Berserk

I enjoyed this despite the shitty quality. I can say I almost thought of reading the manga... almost.

Alderamin

Ikta's chill attitude pissed me off until they actually showed that he's got insecurities too so that's nice. Also interesting foreshadowing with Yatori.

Jojo

Before i dropped the Walking Dead, the episodes I enjoyed the most where when the Governor tried to be a family man, I hope we can see more of Kira interacting with this family (instead of just killing them to cover his tracks). Also
motherfucking old guy in a photo riding a bird!
only in Jojo...

Thunderbolt Fantasy

This show delivers, good to see Frozen Spear and Dan Fei growing.

91 Days

This shit destroyed me... the price of revenge
. I guess next episode is the last one?

Jarmel

Banned
Pokemon Generations-

It's like someone giving you that first hit of crack for free, only for you to find out that they're out of crack.

I have no idea how Simon got less votes than Suzaku, or how Domon lost to freaking Setsuna and Kamille, or how a Shinji lost to a character from Aldonoah friggin' Zero, but this is a much more solid top twenty than I expected. At least Master Asia is in the top 3 and good ol' Guy Shishioh is in the top 10.

Well Inaho being there does make sense, because even if you people did not like him because of this, he is a really good pilot and he is super intelligent. He also has a bionic eye connectes to his brain. His spot his definitly deserved.

Athrun is way too low tho.

Also why is lelouch there?

Baalzebup

I have no idea how Simon got less votes than Suzaku, or how Domon lost to freaking Setsuna and Kamille, or how a Shinji lost to a character from Aldonoah friggin' Zero, but this is a much more solid top twenty than I expected. At least Master Asia is in the top 3 and good ol' Guy Shishioh is in the top 10.

Likes and dislikes are funny like that, but the one character who has no place on that list is Le Douche. He is many things, but an Ace Pilot he is not by any stretch of the margin.

Jarmel

Banned
How the fuck is Lelouch on that list? He was notorious in the show for being a shit pilot. At least pick Karen.

Hikaru also wasn't really a top tier pilot.

Actually no, you know what's the biggest disgrace out of them all?

Ryouma Nagare and Kouji Kabuto not being on that list.

How DARE Japanese fans forget the OG Super Robot Pilots. How DARE THEY.

Chase17

91 Days 10
I want to know who has lingering loyalty to Fango at this point. Show remains great. Wonder how many episodes are left.

Revenge taking its toll. :(

Taruranto

91 Days10

The QUALITY is distracting
Avilio is a moron. A pitiful one, but still a moron.
The 4th man reasons and actions are beyond stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom