• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyOdin

Japanese fans pick anime's ace mecha pilots.

I have no idea how Simon got less votes than Suzaku, or how Domon lost to freaking Setsuna and Kamille, or how Shinji lost to a character from Aldonoah friggin' Zero, but this is a much more solid top twenty than I expected. At least Master Asia is in the top 3 and good ol' Guy Shishioh is in the top 10.

Still, Noriko from Gunbuster not being on this list is DISGRACEFUL.

That list is terrible. Why is Suzaku on that list and not Kallen?
She WON. No question, she beat Suzaku in a head-on fight in the final episode. And yet freakin Lelouche is on the list? He can barely drive his mech in a straight line. The series goes to great lengths to show how he is average at best.

Also, the fact that Kamille beat out Judau is a shame. Judau was the best UC protagonist by far. He was also probably the strongest Newtype out of the bunch.

I could probably go on, but that list is not great. At least Guy Shishio got a mention.

blurr

Arakawa Under the Bridge 05

Now this is increasingly becoming a commentary on Ichinomiya's no debt ideals and society in general and consistently amusing. I like it.

Everyone's a parody of certain sections of society either visually or in terms of personality.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Ore Monogatari!! 1-6

Kay, so I was in the mood for some cutsey romance Shojo stuff, but got I was NOT prepared for the gentle manliness of Takeo. Or the quiet coolness of Friend. Both of these guys are hilarious, charming, and just fun to watch. They have a certain layer of ridiculousness I wasn't really expecting, but it really helps the shows flow. My only complaint was Yamato. Of the trio, she is the least interesting BY FAR and she kind of dragged down the events by just being there... until episode 6 that is. Now that I know what her deal is(holding hands is so lewd), she too can be, what I consider, "fun." Also the end of that episode six fucking slayed. Gonna be going at this at a slow pace, but really enjoying it so far. One of the best dumb highschool romances I've seen in awhile.

PK Gaming

That list is terrible. Why is Suzaku on that list and not Kallen?
She WON. No question, she beat Suzaku in a head-on fight in the final episode. And yet freakin Lelouche is on the list? He can barely drive his mech in a straight line. The series goes to great lengths to show how he is average at best.

Also, the fact that Kamille beat out Judau is a shame. Judau was the best UC protagonist by far. He was also probably the strongest Newtype out of the bunch.

I could probably go on, but that list is not great. At least Guy Shishio got a mention.

It's effectively a popularity poll, not a tier list.

Kallen's skill is irrelevant.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #24

That final fight was perfection. Everyone contributed. I have no idea what's going to happen in the last 2 episodes now, but it's probably going to be crazy.
The proposal scene was amazing(ly hilarious). The characters in this show are so good.

pbayne

Love Live Sunshine 8-11

Saint Snow only came in 9th? Jeez Love Live judging confirmed to be more rigged than Eurovision.

I liked You's episode because it was like Toy Story where she's Woody and Riko is the shiny new Buzz Lightyear that threatens to take away her best friend

City Hunter 10

I figure this is what Cowboy Bebop would have been if it was made in the eighties. I wouldn't be surprised if it took a lot of influence from this.

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari!! 1-6

Kay, so I was in the mood for some cutsey romance Shojo stuff, but got I was NOT prepared for the gentle manliness of Takeo. Or the quiet coolness of Friend. Both of these guys are hilarious, charming, and just fun to watch. They have a certain layer of ridiculousness I wasn't really expecting, but it really helps the shows flow. My only complaint was Yamato. Of the trio, she is the least interesting BY FAR and she kind of dragged down the events by just being there... until episode 6 that is. Now that I know what her deal is(holding hands is so lewd), she too can be, what I consider, "fun." Also the end of that episode six fucking slayed. Gonna be going at this at a slow pace, but really enjoying it so far. One of the best dumb highschool romances I've seen in awhile.

Yeah, definately one of the best in years and always gives that sticky sweet feeling after watching it.

Qurupeke

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 15-18

So, Archer is Shirou... That's interesting. The thought crossed my mind, but I was expecting a hero from the past, not the future. Still, I don't get why he acts like a brat.

I was very dissatisfied with Berserker's demise. They had foreshadowed him as pretty much immortal, and he barely did anything to Gilgamesh. The real beast is certainly him, he was mostly unscathed during F/Z and it seems this continues on UBW too. I really hope he's the main antagonist, with Kirei obviously returning in order to back stab Baka Shinji.

And Saber is back.

Grexeno

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 25

qaGDiYq.png
JfHYhJ9.png

4WwxJ2S.png
Cb3zEU0.png

Kosaku Kawajiri really must have been an absolute charisma black hole.

Exalted

Kuromukuro episode 24

The final assault and the resulting fight were great in this episode, nice to see everyone working together and contributing and not only the MC. Surprised that at least this part/arc of the story was finished so fast , thought it would also take the last 2 episodes. Well they did introduce a new threat. That proposal scene was funny.

Deadly

Shokugeki no Soma S2 12
Nooo had I known this was just 1-cour I would have started it next week :( This show is soooooo gooood. Already caught up and read all of the manga too.

Soma S2 - 12

Kinda made me sad when at minute 12 they started showing us tidbits of what the other members were doing. If it weren't for this being a 1-cour, we pretty much could have gotten 1 or 2 episodes for each of the students. That being said the episode itself was great. We see Soma struggle for the first time in a while. He manages to pick it back up, and the finale seems to be where we will be seeing whether or not he has figured out what his specialty is.

I wonder if this show will be getting a third season. The fact that it went from 2-cours to 1 from one season to the next, and the fact that I don't see as much buzz around the show anymore leads me to believe that I may have to pick up the manga from now on. Which is a shame, since I much prefer seeing animation, sound and colour on the dishes that are prepared by everyone.

phaze

Yurinibyou 11

tfw someone is flinging pure truth at you.

Some really nice storyboarding and direction in this one. It's seemingly clear were the story will go in the last outing (boy did they lay the grey filter thick in the pre-OP part) and I doubt it's a message I'll find alluring but eh as long as they don't go to far with what I imagine is going to be "
It's okay to be a basket case/ Chuuni
type of thing.

Ascheroth

Soma S2 - 12

Kinda made me sad when at minute 12 they started showing us tidbits of what the other members were doing. If it weren't for this being a 1-cour, we pretty much could have gotten 1 or 2 episodes for each of the students. That being said the episode itself was great. We see Soma struggle for the first time in a while. He manages to pick it back up, and the finale seems to be where we will be seeing whether or not he has figured out what his specialty is.

I wonder if this show will be getting a third season. The fact that it went from 2-cours to 1 from one season to the next, and the fact that I don't see as much buzz around the show anymore leads me to believe that I may have to pick up the manga from now on. Which is a shame, since I much prefer seeing animation, sound and colour on the dishes that are prepared by everyone.
The manga also didn't have more than a few tidbits about the other member.
No idea about a third season. The next arc is a really good one but after that would be the start of the current arc and that one has been... pretty dumb and annoying at times. I think the manga is still pretty popular but the current arc definitely did some damage.

It sounds like it's a special broadcast this coming Thursday after Sunday's finale? I'm not sure myself.
Sometimes Google Translate comes through, but I really can't make sense of a single thing it is spitting out at me. I don't know if it's something that we should keep an eye on, or if it's nothing important.
The manga also didn't have more than a few tidbits about the other member.
No idea about a third season. The next arc is a really good one but after that would be the start of the current arc and that one has been... pretty dumb and annoying at times. I think the manga is still pretty popular but the current arc definitely did some damage.
That's a shame. Again, I love Soma, but the Stagiaires are in my opinion the greatest idea to come out of this show. It has so much range and potential, you literally could have dozens of episodes of each student just going into restaurant and trying to save them, or trying to keep up with the rhythm of the real world as they develop themselves as chefs. No idea if the manga capitalized on the idea, but from what I got from the anime, this shouldn't last too long and probably only lasted for a few chapters before them going back to school and their Shokugeki and competitions.

Gvitor

That's a shame. Again, I love Soma, but the Stagiaires are in my opinion the greatest idea to come out of this show. It has so much range and potential, you literally could have dozens of episodes of each student just going into restaurant and trying to save them, or trying to keep up with the rhythm of the real world as they develop themselves as chefs. No idea if the manga capitalized on the idea, but from what I got from the anime, this shouldn't last too long and probably only lasted for a few chapters before them going back to school and their Shokugeki and competitions.

It capitalizes to a certain point. Like said before, they don't show much of the other students during the arc itself, but in future arcs they can rely on it for flashbacks.

The next arc is pretty good (and a short one after that as well), but the one we're at now (save for the last 2 chapters, that have been good) is god awful. I unfortunately don't see another season anytime soon. And if it's rushed like this, it won't really matter.

Line_HTX

Shokugeki no Soma S2 12
Nooo had I known this was just 1-cour I would have started it next week :( This show is soooooo gooood. Already caught up and read all of the manga too.

Yeah, I was bummed out when they announced it was 1-cour before the start of the season.

Who was the singer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2n_M3aPVl8

91 Days 10

Well, that's it.

Everyone in the show deserves to die now.

It really is one of the saddest scenes I've seen in anime. And I don't mean the blatant heart tugging Simba trying to wake up dad shit like in Clannad. Just this scene of two people knowing exactly what needs to happen and hating every single moment of it while expressing their caring for each other.

Tuck

91 Days
Last scene was incredible. They both knew what was going to happen, and it was brutal. Seeing Avillio genuinely happy during the episode as he spent time with Corteo made it all the more sad.

Show continue to impress. Sorry Mob, Kiznaiver, Erased, Haikyuu... I think my AOTY has been decided.

Soma S2 Episode 12
Probably my favourite episode of the season. Really felt the tension when Soma was screwing up. I like that the show knocked him down a few pegs, and now theres some real growth happening. Pairing him up with whats-his-name made for a good scenario.

Exalted

Souma S2 Episode 12

As some have already said, this arc has been great so far, really enjoining it. Wish we would get more of it, but sadly the show is ending right when it started to be great again.

Narag

Getter Robo Armageddon BDs arrived today. Only skimmed one part but it looks good. Excited to rewatch this again sometime.

Screenshots:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom