• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
So I happened across the trailers for Your Name and Koe no Katachi and it really made me miss anime. I think I've watched 3 recenter animes in the past 3 years; Chihayafuru 2, Saki Nationals and the disappointing Lie in April.

If one person (first quoter so I don't disrupt the thread :3) could reccomend just one fufilling anime that I have missed from 2013 to now, that'd be helpful; first thing that comes to your mind. I used to watch pretty much everything under the sun so I'm willing to try anything, but I'll love you if it's Josei.

So I happened across the trailers for Your Name and Koe no Katachi and it really made me miss anime. I think I've watched 3 recenter animes in the past 3 years; Chihayafuru 2, Saki Nationals and the disappointing Lie in April.

If one person (first quoter so I don't disrupt the thread :3) could reccomend just one fufilling anime that I have missed from 2013 to now, that'd be helpful; first thing that comes to your mind. I used to watch pretty much everything under the sun so I'm willing to try anything, but I'll love you if it's Josei.

Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju

Line_HTX

That timing of the announcement when they said the 1st season was going to get pulled was awful. They could've said it a week in advance.

phaze

oh and if there are any stragglers out there, watch Patlabor

JltIA1h.jpg

Well, the movie continuity is about the only concrete thing left on my chipping block.

Casshern Sins 20

Ahhh, at last our heroes reach their destination. The land of hope and salvation welcomes them.

Qurupeke

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 20-22

The show has been considerably better at its second half, but it's a shame that this doesn't change its origins.

lmao I assume that magic crest transplantation ritual was a sex scene in the VN. "Let's take off our clothes to let out more body heat!"

The plotline with Archer wasn't bad, it delivered some good action, but I'm not sure what his problem was. He just seemed like a huge asshole most of the time.

/XX/

Apparently, Hiroyuki Yamaga has mentioned at his usual Connichi panel that a new entry of Aim for the Top! is in the making, and that its plot will focus on the events in-between Aim for the Top! Gunbuster and Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster:

Eldur @Connichi2016 on Twitter: "NEWS : Yamaga nous annonce qu'il prévoit de produire Top wo Nerae 3 ! #otacrew"
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/777453467619192832

Eldur @Connichi2016 on Twitter: "Ce troisième opus essayera de faire un lien entre Gunbuster et Diebuster"
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/777454353988845568

Awaiting further confirmation... not many attend his exclusive "panels", like the famous tea ceremonies he hosted at times!

Apparently, Hiroyuki Yamaga has mentioned at his usual Connichi panel that a new entry of Aim for the Top! is in the making, and that its plot will focus on the events in-between Aim for the Top! Gunbuster and Aim for the Top 2! Diebuster:

Eldur @Connichi2016 on Twitter: "NEWS : Yamaga nous annonce qu'il prévoit de produire Top wo Nerae 3 ! #otacrew"
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/777453467619192832

Eldur @Connichi2016 on Twitter: "Ce troisième opus essayera de faire un lien entre Gunbuster et Diebuster"
https://twitter.com/Eldur_380/status/777454353988845568

Awaiting further confirmation... not many attend his exclusive "panels", like the famous tea ceremonies he hosted at times!

So... is he directing this himself or what? It's difficult to imagine him being able to pull Tsurumaki, let alone Anno, back.

/XX/

So... is he directing this himself or what? It's difficult to imagine him being able to pull Tsurumaki, let alone Anno, back.
We are talking about a man that has been touting projects in pre-production several years in advance, that later are put on-hold without further notice. Mr. Tsurumaki could very well be involved when he is available a decade from now! :p

Koe no Katachi

They use some of the same techniques as other recent KyoAni stuff like out of focus backgrounds, fake handheld camera and even some overexposure. Seemed quite sad, made everybody around me cry
and me too, even if I don't know Japanese :p
Not sure how the main character managed to survive though, and it had a really umm... Japanese way of handling certain stuff that happened.

You know, it doesn't say Benten isn't in the story. It just says she left the city...

At the logical in-setting level, it actually makes sense if she left the city, I think at the end of the first season she regrets what she did to the MC's family, so a way to show it it's avoid further encounters moving to a different city. And unofficial apology, to say. So it isn't a bad move.

But I really liked the character and her weird relationship with the MC so I kind of hope you are right and she appears again at some point.

Ace Attorney 6
Way better than Ace Attorney 5, even if there are some things I feel like they could work on. All the cases are pretty fun, but case 3 is on par to some of the original trilogy's best cases and Apollo Justice finally got the game he deserved.

So I guess you could say, they finally did Apollo.....Justice.

Koe no Katachi

They use some of the same techniques as other recent KyoAni stuff like out of focus backgrounds, fake handheld camera and even some overexposure. Seemed quite sad, made everybody around me cry
Not sure how the main character managed to survive though, and it had a really umm... Japanese way of handling certain stuff that happened.
I've been reading bad/mixed impressions for this on Twitter /:

T-Rex.

Banned
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 20-22
The plotline with Archer wasn't bad, it delivered some good action, but I'm not sure what his problem was. He just seemed like a huge asshole most of the time.
*You know when you make a bad decision and you mull over it for a few days, weeks, maybe even months? That's his entire life after he dies. He didn't become a Heroic Spirit because of his deeds when he was alive, he became one by forfeiting his afterlife and agreeing to become a Counter Guardian who essentially clean up after mankind. Whenever mankind is on the verge of destroying itself a CG is summoned and their job is to basically take out whoever is responsible, but they usually get summoned when a lot of the damage has already been done. For a dude with his ideals (he just wants everyone around him not to cry) it's pretty much hell since he's constantly sent to places where all there is is suffering, and it's also suffering he contributes to by killing. Long story short he ends up hating humanity, himself, his ideals and since the cycle will never end (he's stuck being a CG) he tries to kill Shirou in the one in a million chance it also ends up erasing his existence, even though he knows it's unlikely.

*Unless you were on about Gilgamesh because yeah he's just an arse.

blurr

Koe no Katachi

wut you watched without subtitles?

Jintor

Mike's in japan so it's his chance to see it in cinemas!

I watched the Eupho movie without subs but it was a recap thing and I was getting better at JPN at the time...

But MAL says it's the 3rd best anime movie ever!

Anyway, I haven't searched thoroughly for impressions, but it seems it's mostly the manga readers that didn't like it. So, I'm still optimistic it's good.
I would caution against becoming overly concerned by a couple tweets from random people. The movie has largely positive reviews from critics and users on Yahoo JP.
I'll reserve my own judgement until I see it in front of me. It's probably fine. I'm not as picky as the diehards anyway, I always manage to get something of value out of stuff I watch. Well, not always, but most of the time lol.

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV - 05
So sad that they timed this well for the original release. We would be playing this in just a little over a week.

The series was pretty cool, nothing mind blowing mind you, but it gave me more info about the characters and the world to work with, keeping me excited for the game. And yes I am really excited to play this. 2 months to go.

Line_HTX

Koe no Katachi

But aren't you fluent in listening?

:p

I've been reading bad/mixed impressions for this on Twitter /:

Well, depends on what kind of stuff you like. There's some drama (people even get into slap fights and there's blood + a standoff of sorts between the characters), a bunch of crying, a sidekick character that's there for some comedy and some people might not like that the MC
gets up and running at the exact right moment after being bedridden for at least a few weeks while the girls arm is still in a sling
. And I think the ending is about the MC actually being the one that's been
deaf (to the world) all along kind of 'twist'
. I enjoyed it though :p

Line_HTX

It doesn't sound like a bad Kyoani movie, it looks like. Should be a good watch.

Mike's in japan so it's his chance to see it in cinemas!

I watched the Eupho movie without subs but it was a recap thing and I was getting better at JPN at the time...

Never hurts to get listening practice in, even in a recap.

Well, depends on what kind of stuff you like. There's some drama (people even get into slap fights and there's blood + a standoff of sorts between the characters), a bunch of crying, a sidekick character that's there for some comedy and some people might not like that the MC
gets up and running at the exact right moment after being bedridden for at least a few weeks while the girls arm is still in a sling
. And I think the ending is about the MC actually being the one that's been
deaf (to the world) all along kind of 'twist'
. I enjoyed it though :p

Movie is also like a weekend long so you can fill it with a lot of drama. And KyoAni is pretty deep into the TV drama kind of drama right now.

Qurupeke

I was referring to Emiya Archer, right. What you describe seems correct, but it doesn't change the fact that Archer is just one possible outcome for Shirou and by the show's logic, they're actually different beings, as Archer exists outside of the continuity of time. In the end, Archer tries to save himself and he just doesn't care about the others or how his actions will affect them. This is like the epitome of selfishness. And yet, in their fight he went easy to Shirou. He's even more of a tsundere than Rin.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So for all the Brits, and maybe the Tea-aboos, here; if you've been watching Joanna Lumley's Japan on ITV and seen the episode she visits Tokyo, you'll be glad to know that idol concerts now have the Joanna seal of approval.

Qualidea Code 11

FalaP6o.jpg

Depressed bearsuit girl is best character

The twist to this series is dumb as fuck and I hate myself for watching this now but I will finish it because we're at the finish line.

Ange Vierge 11

Not sure what the story point was of the big bad girl who beat the MC and her friends in one battle, then loses to the Hinata girl who had turned evil and was defeated by MC and then Hinata turns evil again. How the fuck is this Hinata girl supposed to be the strongest girl? Fucking what!? And the yuri incest sisters minute wasn't nearly as funny as it previously had been!

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! 11

Damn, you can't compete with those cannons, don't even try.

T-Rex.

Banned
I was referring to Emiya Archer, right. What you describe seems correct, but it doesn't change the fact that Archer is just one possible outcome for Shirou and by the show's logic, they're actually different beings, as Archer exists outside of the continuity of time. In the end, Archer tries to save himself and he just doesn't care about the others or how his actions will affect them. This is like the epitome of selfishness. And yet, in their fight he went easy to Shirou. He's even more of a tsundere than Rin.
Yeah he's a character who contradicts himself. He knows all that (BIB) but his situation is so hopeless and he's so desperate for an end to it all that he still bets everything on being able to kill Shirou and erase himself, Saber even tells him it's useless but it's just meant to illustrate how much he regrets his decisions in life.

Btw, does anyone know if today's Re:Zero is actually a two parter?

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i finished reLife and it was surprisingly great, i wish we get a season 2

also, this season blessed us with taboo tatoo and Hybrid x Heart, whats some promising trash for next season? while i didn't go very far in HxH and didn't watch the other, i want to check out keijo

edit: actually i heard keijo manga is not trash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom