• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Patlabor OVAs-Rewatch
XzqRzFG.jpg
So I wasn't really planning on rewatching the Patlabor OVAs as I have other shows to catch up on but it somehow just ended up this way. It's somewhat interesting going back and watching this as I'm more familiar with Oshii's direction than I was the first time. You can really see his influence come through in the first and last episode for similar reasons.
For example the first episode has a number of those zoomed out landscape shots with a technological element at the forefront. He does this so as to play off the inherent juxtaposition of modern vs old, as a way of highlighting the abnormality of technology. He's quite good at it as he'll play with the lighting/coloring to create a more striking image. He's not afraid to 'black-out' an object in order to increase the contrast, such as an Ingram with their police lights on. It's more prevalent in the Ghost in the Shell franchise but Patlabor was essentially a warm-up act to GitS, so there's still a number of shots here. I'm also sure that fans of the franchise will recognize the color palette of the frame above on the left as he reuses that sunset setting for the opening of the first Patlabor movie. As most people would attest to, Oshii loves his scenery shots, probably to his own detriment at times. However it's used relatively sparingly in the OVA series, especially compared to the second Patlabor movie where the movie was inundated with those types of shots.
Another somewhat noteworthy directorial technique is how events are storyboarded in the show. By that I mean there will be buildup to a joke or line and instead of delivering that punch line, the show will skip past it and show the consequence. For example the above scene has the characters joke about meeting a mad scientist and one comes in. Instead of Asuma delivering a line such as, "Wait a minute, you're the mad scientist that we came across earlier!", the show skips forward to them arriving at his lab. Another example is at the end of the first OVA where Noa gets pissed and throws her arm at the terrorists in a makeshift Rocket Punch. The episode doesn't show her punch landing or any of the immediate fallout but quickly shifts to a shot of the scenery and skips forward. Oshii uses a gong sound so as to signify that her arm hit but doesn't show the impact shot. He'll slightly tinker with the audience's perception to deliver the joke in an unexpected manner. It's a bit faster that way and so the jokes land better than they would otherwise.
A few other minor things I noticed is the way that Oshii will depict unusual events. In the case above, the characters and background are depicted normally in a preceding scene in that they look as visually sharp as they can be. However when something surreal happens, such as SV-2 using their Ingrams for the first time, the visuals are intentionally blurry. The blur creates a dreamlike effect in the visual and thus further enhance the importance of that scene. For the citizens watching, it's almost like a scene out of a comic and the visuals reflect that. That is until Ota wrecks his Ingram by jumping off a bridge. Another tweak he does is mess with the audio in a moment, thus changing the audience's viewpoint. This happens at the beginning of episode 2 where all the characters sound normal but as things start to diverge from reality, an echo effect is introduced into the recordings of the voice actors. This echo effect hints that something is not right, leading to the punch line that the scene was all a dream.
pxxz3li.jpg
2gUSosG.jpg

Cool use of distance in the frame so as to establish the perspective of the new recruits and them being isolated.
It's kinda funny rewatching the first episode as there is tons of expository dialogue and knowing how insane Oshii's stance on dialogue is now. It does serve as a way of characterizing Shige and the Old Man as the contrast in how they recite their longings to see the new SV2 units serve as a good introduction into their personalities. Still though the dialogue can come across as a bit clumsy such as in episode 2 when Ota is recounting basic information in their world to Asuma, who should be somewhat up to date considering his position. I'm being a bit nitpicky though as it's not that bad and the voice acting makes the lines fun through execution, such as Shige's hyper energy. That said, the introduction of Noa was handled cleverly in that she doesn't have many lines but her personality is established through her late arrival on the motor scooter, clothing, and voice acting. Ota's descent into shooting madness was a hilarious way too of not only showing how two-sided he can be, but also fleshing out the personalities inside the SV unit such as Goto.
I forgot how much of a lead-in episodes 5 and 6 are to the second Patlabor movie. That said, I think the episodes do a much better job of retaining the characters' personalities compared to the movie so it still feels like a Patlabor show whereas the movie doesn't. While Goto taking the show over still happens, it feels more like a group effort compared to the singular focus in Patlabor 2. I thought it was pretty clever too to use Asuma traveling around as a way of introducing the characters' home lives. That way the two episodes serve to show different sides of not only Goto but everyone in the SV unit, well besides the mechanics. Obviously Patlabor is still top tier, that was never under dispute, so it should be interesting to see how the reboot looks next month. I think I might give the Oshii live-action Patlabor stuff a quick watch to see what that looks like, but I'm not going in with high hopes.

Cornbread78

Handa-kun ep.11
"Delinquints again, don't look, don't look" lol.

"I'm going to sink the Spanish armada"

WTF, lolololol. This was excellent stuff as usual.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
someday

Heybot 01

Man kids anime are fuckin' weird.

That's my problem with most animes:
"You 5 must save the world! Now get in the giant creaky radioactive killer robot."
"But they're just children god damn it."
"No! Their bodies are perfect for the AT fi-[plot reasons]... it is their destiny....
And merchandising!"

Cornbread78

Soma S2 ep.11
Damn, that was an excellent episode highlighting Soma's personal growth as a chef, as well as how other adults view him in thr kitchen. Presentation was totally hype this week as well and I can't wait to see what he comes up with next week.

Gvitor

I had no idea Netflix had Little Witch Academia, since I barely ever watch anime there. Found it while looking through the sci-fi tag, lol. So I decided to stop postponing it.

Little Witch Academia (the original)

While very by-the-books in regards to tropes (the tomboy who started something based on some legendary thing she saw as a child but have almost no talent; the ex-famous but now forgotten important figure that is now hiding in plain sight; the rival who outsmarts the main character and is followed by generic goons and eventually saves the MC in some way; so on) it feels new and refreshing due to the artstyle, animation, and story pacing.

Since it's a short story, it covers this tropes in the span of one episode, very quickly. And this is helped by the fast paced, but very fluid animation. This also feels like a showcase of animation (which it very well may be, since the next one ended up being kickstarted, iirc), and they do it greatly.

It's just a fun, brightful, quick story. And I just love these Harry Potter-esque universes, even when they're cliché.

We're getting a whole series of these, aren't we? I can only hope they can keep this quality of animation throughout a cour.

Jarmel

Banned
Hunter x Hunter '11 - 43
kkoPGEe.jpg

This is the best you can do?
Does the director know how to properly light a goddamn scene?

This isn't even mediocre direction, this is flat out bad. This is supposed to be a big emotional moment I guess but I sure as fuck couldn't tell due to any of the visuals. The only indication is the soundtrack where they played some classical music over the massacre to make it seem more theatrical. None of the brutality is being portrayed in a convincing manner.

Cornbread78

Second season of the eccentric family was just announced.

Sweet! Hopefully, the fun continues and we get to see the Tanuki's again, with no stew!

Rewrite ep.12
Damn, so much shit going on all at once in this episode. However, if they really did a proper adaptation, this might have all made more sense, but since this is more of a showcase summary of the VN, this was obviously rushed and slopped together.... such a shame that this show has turned out this much nonsense.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Generations 1

Ok pickachu since I caught you without you taking any damage, you must prove your mettle and use the souls of the enemy you defeated to become lvl 100. If you survive your name might be inscribed in the hall of fame. If you dont your bones will be picked by spearrows. And if i like you you enough i'll give you a thunderstone steroid.

Generations 2

If pokemon were real and could kill:
POKEMON RIOT SQUAD

Jarmel

Banned
I have never watched Patlabor, where do I start? Gimme the rundown.

Start with the Patlabor OVAs, which there are seven of them. There are another set of OVAs that come after the TV series but ignore them for now. Watch the OVAs then movie on to the two movies.

Patlabor: Early Days-> Patlabor: The Movie -> Patlabor 2: The Movie

Afterwards if you really liked that set, then start the TV series.

I have never watched Patlabor, where do I start? Gimme the rundown.

There are 2 continuities:

Patlabor OVA 1 -> Patlabor Movie 1 -> Patlabor Movie 2

Patlabor TV -> Patlabor OVA 2 (Patlabor: The New Files)

You can watch either one; both the first OVA series and the TV series start off with introductions to the characters. The OVA 1/movie timeline is personally directed by Mamoru Oshii and shows his heavy influence, especially in the second movie which is totally occupied with his love for moody atmosphere and political/philosophical themes. The TV timeline is more straightforward in nature, featuring a greater character focus and an ongoing storyline about a mysterious enemy robot model. They're both worth watching.

Lucentto

Banned
Start with the Patlabor OVAs, which there are seven of them. There are another set of OVAs that come after the TV series but ignore them for now. Watch the OVAs then movie on to the two movies.

Patlabor: Early Days-> Patlabor: The Movie -> Patlabor 2: The Movie

Afterwards if you really liked that set, then start the TV series.

There are 2 continuities:

Patlabor OVA 1 -> Patlabor Movie 1 -> Patlabor Movie 2

Patlabor TV -> Patlabor OVA 2 (Patlabor: The New Files)

You can watch either one; both the first OVA series and the TV series start off with introductions to the characters. The OVA 1/movie timeline is personally directed by Mamoru Oshii and shows his heavy influence, especially in the second movie which is totally occupied with his love for moody atmosphere and political/philosophical themes. The TV timeline is more straightforward in nature, featuring a greater character focus and an ongoing storyline about a mysterious enemy robot model. They're both worth watching.

I see, thanks. I will have to start watching these soon.

Tuck

Pokemon Generations 1 and 2
Wow this was garbage.

First episode was just a super annoying pikachu fighting a bunch of pokemon in a few brief, strung together action sequences. (Decent action I guess, but otherwise lacking in story or any coherent plot.)

Second episode was worse. The idea is alright - using pokemon to conduct a sting operation. But the dialogue was bad, the voice acting was worse, and it felt like the sting was organized really, really poorly.

Yeah, I'll pass on the rest of these.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
SEASON 2 UCHOUTEN KAZOKU AEHORIAJ$HRLIAUMRLIW$UNHRVIASENVRHLKASERJVN

sonicmj1

The Eccentric Family Website said:
Humans live in the city, Tanuki roam the earth, and Tengu soar the sky.

The Shimogamo family, a family of shape-shifting Tanukis, lives in the Forest of Tadasu, within the vicinity of Shimogamo Shrine, located in Kyoto.
The four brothers of Shimogamo, who succeed the blood of Soichiro, their late father, who was the head of the Tanuki world, were living rather happily, surrounding their mother, who is a diehard Takarazuka fan.

That night of madness, the incident that centered on Yasaburo, the third son, who succeeds the fool's blood of Soichiro the most. The election for the next ‘Nise-Emon’, the trickery of their

uncle Ebisugawa Soun, and the scene with the ‘Friday Fellows’, all of the above has been blown away into the night sky of Kyoto by a gust of wind. Time has passed, and now is the time of year when the pleasant scent of young leaves fills the streets of Kyoto. The furballs begin to roll out without minding their behinds getting cold.
Benten, the beautiful woman, who was kidnapped and granted divine power by the Tengu, has left Kyoto behind, and the Great Tengu Professor Akadama, a.k.a. Yakushibo Nyoigatake, who was madly in love with his former pupil, just spent his days away in his rundown apartment, drinking Akadama Port Wine while lying in his never-made bed, scattering about loneliness and frustration.

One day, “The Junior”, estranged son of Professor Akadama, who disappeared after losing a fierce father-son dispute, has returned home after a century, now an English gentleman.
Out of the blue. Lo and behold. Caught unaware.
The big news spread in and out of the Kyoto area in the blink of an eye and shake up both the Tengu and Tanuki worlds.
The paths of Humans, Tanukis and Tengus intertwine in Kyoto as the second volume of the furball picture scroll unravels!

“An interesting thing is a good thing.”
preorder cancelled

ibyea

Banned
Ace Attorney 6
Way better than Ace Attorney 5, even if there are some things I feel like they could work on. All the cases are pretty fun, but case 3 is on par to some of the original trilogy's best cases and Apollo Justice finally got the game he deserved.

Sandfox

So it looks like Cardfight Vanguard will be taking some ideas from Beyblade in the upcoming season. Hopefully this new series will fix the issues I have with the current series, but I doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom