• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

Digimin Xros Wars II

A hero needs goggles.

I enjoyed watching it as I do with all the main series, but this season needed better art and animation. All that's left are the digimon tri movies and I'm ready for the new season.

blurr

Thunderbolt Fantasy 11

holy shit that was an awesome episode, never did expect a battle to take place between them and it was so good

I am truly perplexed as to how this will turn out now

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 20-22

lmao I assume that magic crest transplantation ritual was a sex scene in the VN. "Let's take off our clothes to let out more body heat!"

You got it.

Cornbread78

Qualidea Code ep.11
loojs like everything is going to go down next week as they finally encounter a true "unknown" and attempt to seperate the worlds.

Ascheroth

There have been quite a few instances of good CG robots lately.

Danball Senki, Comer Lucifer, Megaton Musashi being some examples.

They've been getting better from the absolutely horrendous garbage they've always been before.

You know, you really should watch Kuromukuro. (Yeah I know you said you don't like the mech designs, but still)

SuperSah

Banned
Recommendations!

I asked a while back for some anime recommendations for a 'slice of life' series. I've now kind of changed my mind.

I'm looking for a 'must watch' anime. Y'all gave me Gurren Lagann which was phenomenal. Any other must watch anime? It can be ANY genre.

I'm only asking again since I've not watched any since GL and I'm fancying something known to be excellent. :)

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.11
Well damn, that was an action packed 24 min episode, that was excellent. Love the presntation and visuals like always as Rose and Alisha fight to realize her will..

Season 2 confirmation of a confirmation, lol.

Cornbread78

Recommendations!
I asked a while back for some anime recommendations for a 'slice of life' series. I've now kind of changed my mind.
I'm looking for a 'must watch' anime. Y'all gave me Gurren Lagann which was phenomenal. Any other must watch anime? It can be ANY genre.
I'm only asking again since I've not watched any since GL and I'm fancying something known to be excellent. :)

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Recommendations!

Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Girls Bravo
Astro Fighter Sunred
Oh and if you're ready for something long running: Gintama

Qurupeke

Recommendations!

Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Baccano!
Ping Pong: The Animation
Steins;Gate

I think I could recommend some more but these should be good for starters. All of them are excellent in my book and very enjoyable. Very different to TTGL and KLK but I think you'll like them.

SuperSah

Banned
Thanks guys! I heard Fullmetal Alchemist is fantastic. How right is this?

It seems to top these anime lists but I'd like some opinions and whatnot.

Thanks guys! I heard Fullmetal Alchemist is fantastic. How right is this?

It seems to top these anime lists but I'd like some opinions and whatnot.

Fullmetal Alchemist is widely liked, certainly one of the most popular shows in Western anime fandom. I strongly prefer the 2003 anime adaptation to the later Brotherhood adaptation, which is comparatively lacking in directorial creativity and finesse. But that's a subject which is hotly contested. At the very least, 2003 is worth your time.

SuperSah

Banned
Cheers guys, keep them recommendations rolling in. Is there a difference between Fullmetal and the Brotherhood version? Must I see one before the other?

I also see recommendations elsewhere for AoT - thoughts?

Andrew J.

Alderamin 01

Hmm...It sure looks nice, and what I've seen of the character interactions and worldbuilding seems well thought out, if not very original. (Irresponsible Captain Tylor in a faux-European Valkyria Chronicles setting!)

But the show doesn't have a good grasp on the difference between flirtation and sexual assault, and the women's costume designs are not great.

I guess I'll check out the second episode, if only to resolve this cliffhanger.

I preferred Brotherhood. It was faithful to the source material, while the original went its own way after a certain point. I much prefer the ending in Brotherhood, not because it was faithful but because it actually tied things up rather nicely. The original on the other hand... Just infuriated me lol.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
3gatsu looks great but it's more somber than I thought.

The bishounen baiting is real.

Cheers guys, keep them recommendations rolling in. Is there a difference between Fullmetal and the Brotherhood version? Must I see one before the other?

I like it but generally it isn't well regarded around here. Being able to binge watch it helps with the troubled pacing some at least.

As far as top recommendations I'll just throw in Dennou Coil, KareKano and Evangelion.

kewlmyc

AW MAN.

Reading Re:Zero spoilers for episode 25, the episode apparently doesn't have the pivotal moment I've been waiting 3 months to talk about.

I'm glad that's the case. If it's the thing I got spoiled on a last week, then honestly, it would suck to end it there with no promises of a second season.

Recommendations!

Fate zero
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Hyouka
Black Lagoon
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy
91 Days
Gundam Thunderbolt
Attack on Titan (nice western audience popular show)
Silver Spoon
Full metal Alchemist (more than likely watch Brotherhood)
The Eccentric Family
Monster
Great Teacher Onizuka (then read Manga)
Berserk (then read the Manga)

And that's not even taking into account films which has
Redline
Paprika
Jin Roh: the wolf brigade
Cowboy Bebop movie
Sword of the Stranger
Vampire Hunter D

There's more too but that should work out to keep you busy for quite some fucking time.

I personally like the 2003 version much more than Brotherhood, although opinions vary on that.

I'd definitely recommend watching the 2003 version first if you plan to see both, though. Brotherhood really skips through a lot of early material in the series, so certain moments in the early episodes of Brotherhood don't have as much emotional impact if you haven't seen the original or read the manga.

But I also just think the original version is a more enjoyable overall show than Brotherhood is.

I'd probably recommend against Attack on Titan. It has some interesting ideas, but the story winds up falling apart in my mind, and the anime in particular is plagued by really bad pacing after the first few episodes. It also has long scenes where there's practically no animation whatsoever.

duckroll

It makes sense that Blue Uru would be their main priority right now, but you'd think a Buster project won't have huge problems finding sponsors.

It's Gainax. They are a shell of a company now. I don't actually expect any of their projects to ever come out.

pbayne

Brotherhood is more or less the manga in animated from. It has a more fleshed out story and characterization, great animation during fights and all around is the more complete package even if it can look a bit bland at times.

FMA 2003 sort of follows the same story until about half way through(and honestly covers it better than Brotherhood) where it spins off into its own thing. IMO the anime original content is extremely hit or miss, some its amazing some of its god awful. But it has a great tone and darker direction throughout.

Watch either or honestly, they're both good.

AoT has severe pacing and art direction issues(same as the manga really) but really hype action. Its an enjoyable popcorn action watch. If you like zombies/walking dead type scenarios youd probably enough it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom