• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fate zero
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Hyouka
Black Lagoon
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy
91 Days
Gundam Thunderbolt
Attack on Titan (nice western audience popular show)
Silver Spoon
Full metal Alchemist (more than likely watch Brotherhood)
The Eccentric Family
Monster
Great Teacher Onizuka (then read Manga)
Berserk (then read the Manga)

And that's not even taking into account films which has
Redline
Paprika
Jin Roh: the wolf brigade
Cowboy Bebop movie
Sword of the Stranger
Vampire Hunter D

There's more too but that should work out to keep you busy for quite some fucking time.
Quite a good list here. I'd like to add:

Evangelion + End of Evangelion
Steins;Gate + OVAs
Barakamon
Shinsekai Yori
Rakugo

Screw it. I'm posting it here anyway. Read after you finish Re:Zero episode 25 if you wish.

Rem gets attacked by the archbishop of Gluttony and falls into a coma and ends up forgotten by everybody but Subaru.

She's been out of the series for the past three arcs in the web novel and is still out of it.

sonicmj1

Recommendations!

I asked a while back for some anime recommendations for a 'slice of life' series. I've now kind of changed my mind.

I'm looking for a 'must watch' anime. Y'all gave me Gurren Lagann which was phenomenal. Any other must watch anime? It can be ANY genre.

I'm only asking again since I've not watched any since GL and I'm fancying something known to be excellent. :)

My favorite two shows of the last five years are Ping Pong and Flowers of Evil. Ping Pong in particular is a no-brainer recommendation.

Won't quote so I can't see the spoiled part, but I'll come back to your post nintendoman. My friend only told me what happens very vaguely.

EDIT: linked him your post and he says it checks out with what he knows.

Cheers guys, keep them recommendations rolling in. Is there a difference between Fullmetal and the Brotherhood version? Must I see one before the other?

I also see recommendations elsewhere for AoT - thoughts?

Eh, I wouldn't bother with AoT.

You'll probably enjoy FMA Brotherhood than you will the 2003 version. Though both are worth watching, it seems.

As for other shows, definitely watch Puella Magi Madoka Magica. One of my all time favourites.

Majin Bone is a must watch as well. One of the best shows that barely anybody watches.

SuperSah

Banned
Thanks guys.

It seems like I'll be watching FMA:B then. I know some here say the 2003 ver is better, but then this one seems to be overall better. Am I making the wrong decision here?

Thanks guys.

It seems like I'll be watching FMA:B then. I know some here say the 2003 ver is better, but then this one seems to be overall better. Am I making the wrong decision here?
You can't go wrong with either, but brotherhood follows the Manga and is arguably what most consider the definitive version.

kewlmyc

Recommendations!

I asked a while back for some anime recommendations for a 'slice of life' series. I've now kind of changed my mind.

I'm looking for a 'must watch' anime. Y'all gave me Gurren Lagann which was phenomenal. Any other must watch anime? It can be ANY genre.

I'm only asking again since I've not watched any since GL and I'm fancying something known to be excellent. :)

Fate zero
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Baccano
Hyouka
Black Lagoon
One Punch Man
Mob Psycho 100
Thunderbolt Fantasy
91 Days
Gundam Thunderbolt
Attack on Titan (nice western audience popular show)
Silver Spoon
Full metal Alchemist (more than likely watch Brotherhood)
The Eccentric Family
Monster
Great Teacher Onizuka (then read Manga)
Berserk (then read the Manga)

And that's not even taking into account films which has
Redline
Paprika
Jin Roh: the wolf brigade
Cowboy Bebop movie
Sword of the Stranger
Vampire Hunter D

There's more too but that should work out to keep you busy for quite some fucking time.

This is a good list. Go with this. If you watch anything on this list, then go for Baccano, it's fantastic.

Thanks guys.

Yes, you're making the wrong decision. Even people who prefer Brotherhood because of the different endings generally agree that 2003 does a much better job at adapting the manga material shared by both series.

phaze

Thanks guys.

No. Ideal scenario I feel would be watching 2003 or at least first ~25 episodes of it and then switching to Brotherhood but if you want one show, one with superior animation and a more satisfying ending on top of other things, pick Brotherhood. It rushes its first 10 episodes to get through material 2003 version already covered but you're likely to not even notice it without prior experience with the material.

Thanks guys.

I'd consider that a mistake. Brotherhood's opening episodes are pretty bad compared to the 2003 version, resulting in a lot of the big moments falling flat.

Thanks guys.

You don't need to overthink it or mix and match the series. Brotherhood stands fine on its own.

Sölf

Is anyone reading the Alderamin novels? How much more is there to adapt, as the season ends in 2 episodes and that will be nowhere near an ending.

You are just confusing the guy. Honestly just watch Brotherhood so you don't have to hop around. Has better animation, is faithful to the manga and has a great ending. You won't know what you missed from the original in 2003 anyway, so it's fine. Brotherhood as a standalone experience is more than fine.

Exalted

Too much conflicting here, now I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to watch ><

I would just go with Brotherhood and have the complete experience, and wouldn't bother with jumping around the 2 shows, not really that huge of a difference to be worth it.

You are just confusing the guy. Honestly just watch Brotherhood so you don't have to hop around. Has better animation, is faithful to the manga and has a great ending. You won't know what you missed from the original in 2003 anyway, so it's fine. Brotherhood as a standalone experience is more than fine.

I'm never going to stop proclaiming 2003 as the superior version, unless you're someone who thinks anime adaptations are better the less creativity they have.

I'm never going to stop proclaiming 2003 as the superior version, unless you're someone who thinks anime adaptations are better the less creativity they have.
If the source is good, why change it, specially for the worst? For creativeness' sake only? Hyouka is an adaptation through and through and is beloved by everyone. As are many show that both you and me love.

If the source is good, why change it, specially for the worst? For creativeness' sake only? Hyouka is an adaptation through and through and is beloved by everyone. As are many show that both you and me love.

First of all, the source material didn't exist in a complete form when the 2003 anime was made. They had to do their own thing, something that was planned from the start.

And I personally think that the 2003 anime winds up going in a much more interesting direction than the manga ultimately did, with stronger character focus and a more exciting finale.

The 2003 anime should be judged on its own merits. It was a fantastic show visually, it had great character development, a really strong arc, some great thematic moments that tied everything together, and a really strong final run of episodes.

/XX/

It makes sense that Blue Uru would be their main priority right now, but you'd think a Buster project won't have huge problems finding sponsors.
Their priority should be upcoming series There Is a Reason That We Yawn (&#12354;&#12367;&#12403;&#12434;&#12377;&#12427;&#12395;&#12399;&#12527;&#12465;&#12364;&#12354;&#12427;), as it supposedly would come next year!

We can precisely take this series as an example of how recently announced projects could take lot of time to actually enter full-fledged production; it was first announced as the infamous "free-diving concept" by Mr. Yamaga himself in 2009, and it didn't resurface until the old Tokyo International Anime Fair (what is now known as AnimeJapan) of 2013!

I'd would recommend to not go expecting further news soon...

It's Gainax. They are a shell of a company now. I don't actually expect any of their projects to ever come out.
Does Masamune Datenicle count? :-V

Jesus christ I swear this only happens on Neogaf when it comes to FMA.

Just watch brotherhood man. Did you really like it? Watch the original. Which diverges from brotherhood quite a bit at like the halfway point and in certain characters.

The reason I'll recommend brotherhood over 2003 to start with is simply because that's what you'll likely discuss with people when you want to talk about fullmetal alchemist, that's what most know and love. Then you can watch 2003 where folks here in gaf aren't wrong in their opinion that it arguably is just as good if not better where it goes with the story. But ultimately if you're new to Anime, just watch brotherhood. And I say that as someone who can't stand two characters in brotherhood and overall prefers the choices of the original 2003 show.

Well, Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 had a practical reason for going in a different direction - the manga was still ongoing, and so everything that Brotherhood was able to cover had not yet been written. But I still prefer 2003's finale to Brotherhood's! Change in itself is neither good or bad - it can be either in practice. But in general I prefer to see an anime adaptation attempt to give its own voice to the material rather than just be the manga colored with voices. It's more artistically interesting that way.

(Also, Hyouka does make changes to the source novels - not narratively significant ones, of course, but changes nonetheless. And just the act of visualizing a non-visual narrative requires a lot of interpretation.)

First of all, the source material didn't exist in a complete form when the 2003 anime was made. They had to do their own thing, something that was planned from the start.

And I personally think that the 2003 anime winds up going in a much more interesting direction than the manga ultimately did, with stronger character focus and a more exciting finale.

The 2003 anime should be judged on its own merits. It was a fantastic show visually, it had great character development, a really strong arc, some great thematic moments that tied everything together, and a really strong final run of episodes.
I never said they shouldn't have done it. My point is as it stands now in 2016 and not 2003, the manga is ended and he has both options available.

The original is fine like I said, and it does explore parts that Brotherhood doesn't. But the important canonical stuff and the ending is all in Brotherhood anyway. Animation is much better too. If he has both options, why not go with that one? Chances are he won't watch Brotherhood once he watches the original, and will move on to something else. He's getting started on watching anime. So let's have him watch the conclusive version instead. Does that make sense?

Alderamin 01

But the show doesn't have a good grasp on the difference between flirtation and sexual assault, and the women's costume designs are not great.

I guess I'll check out the second episode, if only to resolve this cliffhanger.

It gets past this crap after about 2-3 eps and the MC becomes far less obnoxious as well, the good parts start to predominate and it's easily one of my AotS candidates unless something truly stupid happens in the last ep.

gargles

Re:Zero - FINAL

What a ride. Despite some gripes or some behaviours from a certain character, this was one hell of a ride. I'l miss this, at least until they air a second season.

As for the episode itself... sure, that conversation was needed but there were still some questions that needed to be answered. And even if they didn't want to end it on an open note, that pivotal moment would have turned this into a great and shocking ending. Sure wasn't bad but... yeah, could've been better.

So. Right now, I'd give it a 9/10, AOTS (unless MP100 throws something godlike) and at least a presence on my AOTY Top 3. Rakugo is still my top pick but this one deserves a spot close to it. Won't forget that incredible episode 15.

duckroll

FMA:B is in HD and widescreen, but other than that, I really wouldn't say the animation is better. Both have really outstanding showcases in animation, but the only thing FMA:B can really claim to objectively is that it's just -longer-.

Alderamin 01

Hmm...It sure looks nice, and what I've seen of the character interactions and worldbuilding seems well thought out, if not very original. (Irresponsible Captain Tylor in a faux-European Valkyria Chronicles setting!)

But the show doesn't have a good grasp on the difference between flirtation and sexual assault, and the women's costume designs are not great.

I guess I'll check out the second episode, if only to resolve this cliffhanger.

Let me just say like others that the show drops this aspect like a sack of bad potatoes a few episodes in. Where it might show its ugly face very rarely but everybody knows he's joking at that bad point and he only really does it again with friends.

The show is worth watching when you realize the childhood friend and their relationship actually seems like a realistic one vs an Anime one, the military aspect is fairly fun aching to valkyria chronicles, and the lead is a very fun one at that.

The reason I'll recommend brotherhood over 2003 to start with is simply because that's what you'll likely discuss with people when you want to talk about fullmetal alchemist, that's what most know and love.

This might be true with younger anime fans, but I don't think it's true in general.

The original FMA was massive. It was one of the most popular anime of all time in the US, airing on television when anime was basically at the peak of the anime boom, receiving numerous re-releases on home video with each version selling well, etc. Brotherhood came along many years later when the market was significantly weaker, so even though it aired on TV, it was seen by a smaller number of people.

The 2003 series was legitimately on the same level as shows like Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho in terms of how well known and liked it was from general anime fans at the time. Brotherhood has never reached that level of popularity.

I never said they shouldn't have done it. My point is as it stands now in 2016 and not 2003, the manga is ended and he has both options available.

The original is fine like I said, and it does explore parts that Brotherhood doesn't. But the important canonical stuff and the ending is all in Brotherhood anyway. Animation is much better too. If he has both options, why not go with that one? Chances are he won't watch Brotherhood once he watches the original, and will move on to something else. He's getting started on watching anime. So let's have him watch the conclusive version instead. Does that make sense?

The animation is better in the 2003 version, not in Brotherhood.

And being "canonical" doesn't mean anything. It's a different story. I would say a better story.

As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't a single thing Brotherhood does better, or even as good, as the original version.

This might be true with younger anime fans, but I don't think it's true in general.

The original FMA was massive. It was one of the most popular anime of all time in the US, airing on television when anime was basically at the peak of the anime boom, receiving numerous re-releases on home video with each version selling well, etc. Brotherhood came along many years later when the market was significantly weaker, so even though it aired on TV, it was seen by a smaller number of people.

The 2003 series was legitimately on the same level as shows like Cowboy Bebop and Yu Yu Hakusho in terms of how well known and liked it was from general anime fans at the time. Brotherhood has never reached that level of popularity.
I was there when 2003 was airing on toonami, I would watch it with a friend every fucking week and we'd giggle like idiots at how awesome it was.

But now if I go to a random individual who happens to say "i like full metal alchemist" and they aren't particularly well versed in Anime they'll say brotherhood. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but let's consider how brotherhood is readily available for streaming in Netflix and crunchy I believe while 2003 is harder to come by.

Re: Zero END

You know I think that was the best possible ending that they could have come up with considering the circumstances of the LN and web novel. There are certainly a bunch of questions left unanswered
(Rem's status most importantly, yes I'm am aware of what happened to Rem)
but there was no way this episode could have answered them anyway. The battle and chases sequence with Sloth was awesome as fuck and it was nice to see Subaru take an active role in a fight for once. I'm not a Emilia fan but her ending talk with Subaru was cute.

This show is certainly my AOTY by a long shot.

I thought you were unaware of it as well, and if it happened I was going to comment on just how prophetic that tweet you made yesterday was, lol.

I was completely aware of it. Around the same time as you actually.
I resisted so hard to comment on earlier predictions to tell them they were right on the money

Re:Zero 25 Finale

Really could have used a bit more despair. The last few episodes seemed to really lose the tone that the series built through the season. Still really enjoyable overall, but really wish we had gotten just a bit more conflict at the end.

duckroll

As far as I'm concerned, there really isn't a single thing Brotherhood does better, or even as good, as the original version.

There's one thing. I'll always give credit when credit's due. The big Lust episode in Brotherhood is way better than anything they did with her character in the original. And it was one hell of an episode for Kameda to make his showcase debut as THE new hotshot action animator at the time.

Pretty much everything else though, I'll take the original over.

I was there when 2003 was airing on toonami, I would watch it with a friend every fucking week and we'd giggle like idiots at how awesome it was.

But now if I go to a random individual who happens to say "i like full metal alchemist" and they aren't particularly well versed in Anime they'll say brotherhood. Sure it's anecdotal evidence but let's consider how brotherhood is readily available for streaming in Netflix and crunchy I believe while 2003 is harder to come by.

Well it's worth noting that in Japan, where FMA is presumably more popular than it is anywhere else in the world, the original FMA had better TV ratings, better DVD sales, and the feature film performed way better than Milos (which isn't exactly a Brotherhood movie but whatever). So....

Qurupeke

In the end, Re: Zero remained true to itself and it delivered the suffering... to people who read the spoilers...
Re:Zero 25 Finale

Really could have used a bit more despair. The last few episodes seemed to really lose the tone that the series built through the season.

The third arc was really inconsistent. So many things happened but not everything worked out perfectly. I enjoyed the episodes with the whale, but the witch cult ones were several steps down. Even Betelgeuse himself was pretty terrible after his first appearance.

Probably a good idea to not end it on despair considering its not going to get a second season so better to let people believe it has a happy/neutral ending because nobody is going to read the web/light novels

Probably a good idea to not end it on despair considering its not going to get a second season so better to let people believe it has a happy/neutral ending because nobody is going to read the web/light novels
Haven't watched the finale, but after the treatment White Fox gave to this and the reception in Japan, I'd be shocked if we don't see a second season in 2-3 years. Maybe they ended it well to use the "twist" right at the start of season 2, and having that be the beginning of the arc. Makes more sense to me.

Exalted

Re Zero episode 25

Wasn't really the ending i was expecting, but was as a good ending we will get. While the confession scene was nice ,
it was the wrong girl, should be Rem instead of Emilia :p

XCF2bPk.jpg

eM0CCm1.jpg

CGDThwr.png

Ascheroth

Too much conflicting here, now I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to watch ><

Just watch Brotherhood.

Re:Zero #25 (End)

That Beetlejuice fight was great. All in all this was a pretty satisfying ending. The 3rd arc had a couple things I disliked, but the good far outweighed those.
Looking forward to season 2 in a few years.

In the end, Re: Zero remained true to itself and it delivered the suffering... to people who read the spoilers...
lmao

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom