• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Did Orange finish today or is there still another episode ?

Does anyone even watch it still ? Dearth of reactions in this thread.

Qurupeke

Orange 12

That's a bit ridiculous explanation for time travelling letters. Not that I expected anything different.
I think I'd prefer if the show didn't have the flash forwards of the alternate universe at all.

I liked the flashbacks of the bad ending though. The scene with the phone was devastating.

Gvitor

Orange 12

Okay, we need to do a show of hands here. Does anyone actually like Kakeru?

While I can agree that he got a bad hand dealt to him and that his story is sad, he's just an awful character, damn. And he did absolutely nothing to these people (specially Naho) to fixate on him like they are, even 10 years into the future. Naho makes herself look more ridiculous every single scene she shares with him, and her friends endorse it.

And please, show, don't try to explain time travel if you're not at least a bit commited to it. If you want to use it as a plot device, by all means do it, but if you're gonna try to explain it, don't just shrug it off as
"let's write letters to our past selves and dump them somewhere in the Bermuda Triangle and hope that in one of the infinite timelines it appears right at everyone's doorsteps".

If anything, I'm happy that Kakeru dies in the other {infinite-1} timelines.

Because it's sweet, sour and sorrowful, just like an orange.

Once upon a time Kakeru was going to get drinks for everyone

He asked Naho what she wanted

She said orange juice

That's it

Because they want to avoid scurvy.
dead2.gif

What a rollercoaster of responses.

Aiii

So not worth it
Orange 12

Okay, we need to do a show of hands here. Does anyone actually like Kakeru?

While I can agree that he got a bad hand dealt to him and that his story is sad, he's just an awful character, damn. And he did absolutely nothing to these people (specially Naho) to fixate on him like they are, even 10 years into the future. Naho makes herself look more ridiculous every single scene she shares with him, and her friends endorse it.

If anything, I'm happy that Kakeru dies in the other {infinite-1} timelines.

The kid's mom killed herself, seemingly directly because of Kakeru. She felt she was being a burden to him so she ended it. A teenager is allowed some angst when that kind of shit is put on him, wouldn't you say? It isn't just a bad hand, it is the shittiest of shit hands. His friends understand this, which is why they stand by him even when he is a bit of a dick to them, because he is dealing with some shit. Kakeru is a nice guy who is processing some shit even an adult would have trouble coping with. So yes he is trying to push people away because he feels he is nothing but a source of sorrow, like he was to his mom (or so he thinks), which makes him act dickish, and there is a reason for that. The friends are trying their best to pull him out of depression, and because they are teenagers they have a hard time at it, they haven't the confidence or experience to cope with this. Naho is a shy girl with a crush, talking about feelings is hard enough for her, and here she is desperately trying to find the words to help this grieving guy move on.

Sölf

Re:Zero 25
Season 2 when?!
I liked the ending, it was a good one. If I didn't know there was already more stuff of it, I think I wouldn't really demand more. But, well, there is more stuff. Much more, apparently. So I want to see that. Now. Or at least soon. Please.

Wanderer5

Orange #12

I wasn't expecting much but
lol at how they were able to send the letters back in time.
Whatever could be worse.

After last week kind of shitty episode,
I did like the flashbacks of the "bad ending." The last messages from his mom and him breaking down, before ending up getting killed is pretty sad.:(

Geist-

Thoroughly enjoyed it, possibly because I seemed to have missed the spoilers other people were discussing. If it was supposed to end a different way, they probably wrote this ending because they wanted a proper ending in case it wasn't picked up for a 2nd season, and I'm totally fine with that. The episode delivered as far as I'm concerned.

RE Zero 25
So.. I read that not a lot of people liked it but I think it was a good ending.
So season 2 in about one year? :(
I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 or 3 years for more material to be released.

Thoroughly enjoyed it, possibly because I seemed to have missed the spoilers other people were discussing. If it was supposed to end a different way, they probably wrote this ending because they wanted a proper ending in case it wasn't picked up for a 2nd season, and I'm totally fine with that. The episode delivered as far as I'm concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 or 3 years for more material to be released.

Apparently Arc 4 is longer then Arc 1 to 3 combined. We shall see though, I'm gonna hope season 2 air in 2 years.

Tales of Zestiria the X 11

A fantastic episodes that emphasised the great moment with Ufotable amazing visuals. Mikleo/Sorey and Lailah/Edna conversation were fantastic and helped pushed Sorey as a character and his dynamic with the group.

And damn, that war segment! Loved that they actually use the move from the game like Arrow Squall.

Lord of Calamity!!!

Gvitor

The kid's mom killed herself, seemingly directly because of Kakeru. She felt she was being a burden to him so she ended it. A teenager is allowed some angst when that kind of shit is put on him, wouldn't you say? It isn't just a bad hand, it is the shittiest of shit hands. His friends understand this, which is why they stand by him even when he is a bit of a dick to them, because he is dealing with some shit. Kakeru is a nice guy who is processing some shit even an adult would have trouble coping with. So yes he is trying to push people away because he feels he is nothing but a source of sorrow, like he was to his mom (or so he thinks), which makes him act dickish, and there is a reason for that. The friends are trying their best to pull him out of depression, and because they are teenagers they have a hard time at it, they haven't the confidence or experience to cope with this. Naho is a shy girl with a crush, talking about feelings is hard enough for her, and here she is desperately trying to find the words to help this grieving guy move on.

The problem is that most of the time he's being unsufferable. I can understand Naho being shy and his friends being sympathetic, but only to a point.

In the original timeline, they didn't know about his problems, and Kakeru was a jerk regardless. Even if you say that his shitty hand entitles him to it (which doesn't, by the way), there's a line you have to draw. This is not a life long friend who suddenly changed. This is an acquaintace at best who, from the first day at school acted like that. And let's not forget that it was the already stabilished group that tried to make him join (and keep being on) the group. That's why I ask... why? Why are they taking shit and insisting on him? What did he ever do to this group that was portrayed to me, the viewer, to think he's worth their friendship? They fixated on him for no reason, kept being shat on, and kept insisting on it.

In the show's timeline they know about what's going on with him, and while they are trying to change the future, they're constantly just letting him be selfish. This entire episode was Naho going up to him all apologetic and him flat-out ignoring her at almost every scene. The one scene he didn't ignore her was when she apologized, then it followed to a scene where she talked a bit, and he dismissed her shortly after. It's been like that from the beginning. There's a really blurred line there if they're doing it because they feel an obligation to do it since know that he'll die if they don't or if they're doing it because they really like him.

You have to be careful with people in these situations (even more in this case, that they know he will have suicidal tendencies), but not too careful. Starting from his mother, that let him talk that way with her. Then his grandmother, even if he apologized after the fact. Then everyone else. Someone needs to raise their voice with him and tell him to stop being a spoiled brat, because no one should have to take on his behavior quietly, because that's certainly not helping anyone.

Copper

RE Zero 25

Only reason why some people didn't like it was because they didn't show a specific scene that would have caused a lot of dismay. Personally I'm glad they ended it cleanly like this because it makes the season feel more complete. There still are a lot more questions but I'm ok with how it ended. I'd say atleast give it 1.5-2 years.

RE Zero 25

From what I gather from the reddit thread, the anime was following the LN, which ended (or is currently at?) where the anime ended, except it had 2 extra sentences at the end that would have led to a real cliffhanger ending. The web novel is further ahead, but I dunno by how much. Attack on Titan took 4 years for another season, so the wait may be long for us. Really hope it ends up getting another season though, really like the show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Re Zero Episode 25

Man this was awesome. They really went for the good closure ending. I'm surprised they didn't go for any cliffhangers lol.

Active Raid S2 11

Inagi status: absolutely wrecked. Jirou and Liko finally get their chance to shine as well. And of course Bird is actually alive and ready to fuck everything up. Looking forward to the finale next week, really loved how this show ended up.

And I absolutely love the Sena shenanigans with his crazy ex.

Re:zero 25

Great episode! Subaru was badass the way he took down Betelgeuse

RIP beatlejuice your supposed waifu doesn't think of you at all lol

I find it amusing that they cut off that "one" scene after subaru's confession just to make it seem like a happy ending and not a cliffhanger.

It's gonna be a pain to wait for season 2 :(

Watch more good anime.
Its totally just as fair to be on someone's top anime they've watched as any other anime.

I hate that statement because it implies that if that person watched more anime they'd see it wasn't good. But I've watched hundreds of anime series and I could confidently say this could be in my top 20.

Wanderer5

*Looks at Heybot*

"Screwed morning to you! The new show Heybot is about to sta-" *robot suddenly sneezes and fart at the same time, crashes down, and farts again*

*Closes stream*

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
RE:Zero 25

Pretty bad, Very hurried, stuff stopped making sense, asspulls everywhere, it's like a lot of the story doesn't even matter now.

jgminto

Its totally just as fair to be on someone's top anime they've watched as any other anime.
Of course it's fair to someone to fill their all time list with LN dreck if they enjoyed it, it's still going to make me question if they've watched anything other than that.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ikaru-utada-song-features-unused-cuts/.106612

Singer Hikaru Utada's YouTube channel began streaming a music video for her song "Sakura Nagashi," the theme song for Evangelion: 3.33 You Can (Not) Redo, set to scenes from the film. The music video features cuts that were not used in the original film. The video will be available for 24 hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5HdwnJoq6w

I know general consensus on animegaf seem to be 3.33 was bad, but I liked it and this video is fantastic! So if they are any 3.33 fan out there do look at it, it's only up for 24 hours. That theme song...soooo good!

Haly

Is this why you backed down on Puck?

Yes.
I know general consensus on animegaf seem to be 3.33 was bad, but I liked it and this video is fantastic! So if they are any 3.33 fan out there do look at it, it's only up for 24 hours. That theme song...soooo good!

I was hoping, sardonically, that this would be a Kaworu/Shinji video and... it is! Based Utada da gawdiss

kewlmyc

As said before, ending on the part that they did, mere moments before the big reveal, makes sense. There isn't going a season 2 anytime soon unless the author starts pumping out LNs every month (which he could considering how far ahead the WN is apparently). A lot, LOT of people would be pissed if they ended with the twist, then no announcement of a season 2. This is White Fox after all (where the hell is my Devil is a Part-Timer second season). Even having enough material might not net a successful show a second season. Also, the twist could potentially affect sales of a certain character's merchandise. Said character has like 4 figures being made by big figure making companies, not to mention body pillows and shit. It was a good business decision to end where they ended. Now just people who pick up the LNs/WNs can be heartbroken.

cj_iwakura

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works 20-22

The show has been considerably better at its second half, but it's a shame that this doesn't change its origins.

lmao I assume that magic crest transplantation ritual was a sex scene in the VN. "Let's take off our clothes to let out more body heat!"

A really bad one, yes. The anime is all the better for its removal. Heck, there's no reason to play the VN now that the show's out.

Haly

As said before, ending on the part that they did, mere moments before the big reveal, makes sense. There isn't going a season 2 anytime soon unless the author starts pumping out LNs every month (which he could considering how far ahead the WN is apparently). A lot, LOT of people would be pissed if they ended with the twist, then no announcement of a season 2. This is White Fox after all (where the hell is my Devil is a Part-Timer second season). Even having enough material might not net a successful show a second season. Also, the twist could potentially affect sales of a certain character's merchandise. Said character has like 4 figures being made by big figure making companies, not to mention body pillows and shit. It was a good business decision to end where they ended. Now just people who pick up the LNs/WNs can be heartbroken.

Said character is Puck right?

I'm going to collect all the Puck figures and body pillows and towels.

Jarmel

Banned
A lot, LOT of people would be pissed if they ended with the twist, then no announcement of a season 2. This is White Fox after all (where the hell is my Devil is a Part-Timer second season). Even having enough material might not net a successful show a second season.

The studios don't make the call about whether a show gets a sequel or not.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

spice and wolf still burns my soul.
i hope that anniversary book is still available in 2 weeks

manfestival

since re:zero and berserk just ended(mob psycho almost there)... I guess now is the time to start on garo since it was an overwhelming yes on the show

Wanderer5

I not even halfway through and my mind has been blown out by Heybot lol. Kind of impressive that they threw in a jump scare, sorta lol.

Now just people who pick up the LNs/WNs can be heartbroken.

I agree but given Re:Zeros absurd popularity a season 2 is a given at this point or at least I hope so.

and HOLY SHIT I finally read what happens to Rem and Crusch and i gotta say the
arc bishops of greed and gluttony are absolutely terrifying given their strength and dialogue while beatlejuice always came off as more wacky than scary. I was shocked when Ley (gluttony) said that he could just make another White whale also REEEEM NOOO they were gonna leave you alone why did you attack them ;_;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom