• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Zero episode 25

Wasn't really the ending i was expecting, but was as a good ending we will get. While the confession scene was nice ,
it was the wrong girl, should be Rem instead of Emilia :p
For a second I thought white fox were the ones who made baccano and spice and wolf. Was going to make a "yes because those two got sequels" joke

Deadly

Sölf;217274817 said:
Is anyone reading the Alderamin novels? How much more is there to adapt, as the season ends in 2 episodes and that will be nowhere near an ending.
There is alot more to adapt. We're at, I think, volume 3 and there are 10 volumes released right now.
No. Ideal scenario I feel would be watching 2003 or at least first ~25 episodes of it and then switching to Brotherhood but if you want one show, one with superior animation and a more satisfying ending on top of other things, pick Brotherhood. It rushes its first 10 episodes to get through material 2003 version already covered but you're likely to not even notice it without prior experience with the material.
I concur with this. But let's be real doing it this way is extremely confusing so I'm going to go and also just suggest the Brotherhood version

Re:Zero - 25
I don't want this show to be over. I want to be selfish, I want a second season. This show was so good, it's definately on my anime of all time shortlist

blurr

Well, Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 had a practical reason for going in a different direction - the manga was still ongoing, and so everything that Brotherhood was able to cover had not yet been written. But I still prefer 2003's finale to Brotherhood's! Change in itself is neither good or bad - it can be either in practice. But in general I prefer to see an anime adaptation attempt to give its own voice to the material rather than just be the manga colored with voices. It's more artistically interesting that way.

(Also, Hyouka does make changes to the source novels - not narratively significant ones, of course, but changes nonetheless. And just the act of visualizing a non-visual narrative requires a lot of interpretation.)

From a visual perspective change is a given and of course if narrative style/progression conflicts with the animation medium.

It's not that they shouldn't ever have any change from the source in terms of the story but it can be interesting in itself to see a manga adaptation in animated form (provided that it is interpreted in animation medium well). Reality is that anime sometimes tends to be an expensive commercial for its source material.

If they do change from the manga, it makes sense as an alternate universe/some such thing which I'm assuming is the case with FMA owing to circumstances though. I do understand what you're saying when you think anime should be its own thing, that would be cool and perhaps even ideal but I still think sticking to the source narrative-wise isn't bad in itself either. It does end up happening more often than not.

Oh man I would hope alderamin gets a second season
Agreed. Although this one does strike me more as a "go read the novels" show more than anything, which is a shame. Ikta's journey towards being the greatest captain in all history feels like it literally just started. He's facing the greatest tactical thread yet, and this is basically only getting 3 episodes if we count yesterday's.
Re:Zero - 25
I don't want this show to be over. I want to be selfish, I want a second season. This show was so good, it's definately on my Anime of All Time shortlist
I am one of the few that really loves the show here, but come on :p

Cornbread78

Alderamin ep.10
Damn, Ikta, that was brutal. I understand why you had to make such a bold move, but damn... Poor dude needs to take a nap and clear his head; Haru is right..

Re Zero episode 25

Lol. All the people saying how this series wasn't a typical garbage fantasy LN because it had a pathetic main character are right now eating their words.

The whole episode was Subaru being heroic and looking cool, they even draw him 'posing' holding against his nemesis or standing more upright and handsome than usual or with the light in this back as he rescued the poor damsel on distress that was meekly taking care of some children.

This last arc really dilapidated the good moments the series had before.

Apart that the last talk of him admitting he was being selfish before didn't make a lot of sense, I mean, he still acted, went to saver her, interfered on her politics with other factions, etc. Is there a real difference between acting for her and acting 'drunk of the idea of acting for her"? The actions are the same!

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Subaru straight lifted Rem's sweet talk on him and used it on Emilia. A sly dude indeed.

Re Zero episode 25

Lol. All the people saying how this series wasn't a typical garbage fantasy LN because it had a pathetic main character are right now eating their words.

The whole episode was Subaru being heroic and looking cool, they even draw him 'posing' holding against his nemesis or standing more upright and handsome than usual or with the light in this back as he rescued the poor damsel on distress that was meekly taking care of some children.

Apart that the last talk of him admitting he was being selfish before didn't make a lot of sense, I mean, he still acted, went to saver her, interfered on her politics with other factions, etc. Is there a real difference between acting for her and acting 'drunk of the idea of acting for her"? The actions are the same!
It's the thought that counts. You can help a kitten off a tree, but saving it so you can return it to its owner and saving it so you can try to bone the owner are totally different thought processes.

phaze

Re: Zero 25

Alrighty ending. I'm not sure if Betelgeuse revival was needed and the exploding stones in particular felt hamfisted into the narrative (weren't they supposed to not do boom if left alone ?) but I liked the way Subaru brought on the Betelgeuse meeting with Satella and especially the conversation with Emilia concluded some important salient points for both characters. It's a decent stopping point.

As for the show as a whole, I maintain that the #4- ~8 stretch of eps was the best this show ever had and outside of #15 it never quite returned to those highs but while neither bad nor great, it was good enough to keep watching and if Fall 2016 is weak, maybe also to place on my AOTY list.

Re Zero episode 25

Yeah, admittedly, they laid it pretty thickly.

Hey, my shortlist is my own, and it's really arbritrary as to what makes it on it or not :p
Fair enough. I am speaking as someone that has watched a lot. It's a good show for me, but it's got nothing on, if you scroll up to the top of this page, the list that Woof put for a previous poster. I'd say what's on there, plus what I added, are the top of my list of all time. That being said, Re:Zero will surely have a spot for me on my top 10 for this particular year for sure.

pelicansurf

Just read the spoiler on what would've happened shortly after the last scene in ReZero. Wow. That would've been insane, but I think there would've been riots.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Re Zero episode 25

And the search for good LN adaptation continues....
Someday there will be another Spice and Wolf season...

"And eons passed like days..."

Exalted

While Re Zero was far from perfect and had some very flawed parts, it was still one of the best entertainment i got from anime in a while, a lot of that was probably just because it was slightly different than most other shows in its genre, fells like almost everything is kinda the same these days.

pelicansurf

What about the people who think the whole show was great? Also for the people complaining that Subaru turned into the typical LN protagonist, that's sort of true, but it required him to die over and over again. I think anyone would get pretty awesome/insane after non-stop attempts at major life events.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Haven't watched the finale, but after the treatment White Fox gave to this and the reception in Japan, I'd be shocked if we don't see a second season in 2-3 years. Maybe they ended it well to use the "twist" right at the start of season 2, and having that be the beginning of the arc. Makes more sense to me.
Nothing about the sales say that the property is worth returning to years down the road. People expecting more are delusional...

T-Rex.

Banned
Did people get duped by fake spoilers again? Wasn't the ending I was expecting based on what folks were saying. But anyway, I thought I wanted suffering but I liked that ending nonetheless.

Edit: nvm read back a few pages.

So we get some unanswered questions.
- Who hired the assassin to get Emilia's insignia? One of the other factions aiming for the throne?
- Who actually wrote the blank letter? Was it really Rem? She's supposedly resting at Crusch estate, right? We didn't get the "Rem? Who's Rem??" at the end of episode 25.

Szadek

Nothing about the sales say that the property is worth returning to years down the road. People expecting more are delusional...
So far they sold almost 30000 copies in total and there are 6 more volumes to come.
Looks pretty good to me.

Mailbox

Re:Zero episodes 24-25 [End]

All in all, this show gripped me like few shows have in the past. It was highly enjoyable, even with some of the flaws it bore.

Seeing Subaru admit that everything he did at the beginning of the arc was super selfish and only about himself and stating his new-found determination and goal felt just right at the end. I did get a bit miffed that he did the same thing Rem did to him but to Emilia (but only because it was to Emilia and not Rem), but I really liked the use of repetition, contrast, and character introspection that gave. Absolutely loved this show, don't care what you guys say (hmph!).

Hoping for a season 2 in 3-4 years time (it'll probably take that long for enough books/ arcs to be made into LN format). Until then, time to hype Steins;gate 0 which I also expect people to complain about here no matter what the quality of the show will end up being.

In the end, I fully recommend Re:Zero. No anime is perfect, but this one gripped me about as much as Steins;gate did (which, for the record, only Steins;gate, HunterxHunter 2011, Bakuman, FullMetal Alchemist Bro., and Barakamon have reach that "fully engrosed" kind of gripped) which is a feat in and of itself :)

Gotta catch up to other shows that I've been slacking on. I'm about 3-5 weeks behind a lot of shows, so It'll take me some time to catch up. :3

It turns out is really was just another LN adaptation about a self-insert getting praised over and over.

Just because that's how it ends, doesn't mean that's what its about. More over, I sure as hell don't ever want to be Subaru, so idk what the hell you are talking about.
Slight Edit: Pretty sure what the title means about "what this story is about" isn't about Subaru getting praised or his love for Emilia or anything like that. Its about how he can grow past the person he once was and be better as a person. He stops faking selflessness while being selfish for his weak pride and instead owns up to basically everything he fucked up on.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This reminds me of Future Diary where I was waiting for the ending to hit and the show literally stopped seconds before the moment I was oh so looking forward to people seeing.

I even had a gif ready at the time.

Saying that, what was the big thing people were hoping to see in Re:Zero?

Eumi

Alright ending. Show did the impressive thing in the middle and then slowly returned to the rather boring generic stuff until a safe and secure ending. Would watch more if it comes but honestly I'm fine for now. If people are sick of trapped in another world plots but still like them in theory, then this is definitely something they should check out. Otherwise, I wouldn't say it's necessary.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 043

OqbNfzM.jpg

No matter how far in the future we go, there will always be that inner desire for a good knife fight.

Re:Zero episodes 24-25 [End]
Just because that's how it ends, doesn't mean that's what its about. More over, I sure as hell don't ever want to be Subaru, so idk what the hell you are talking about.
Slight Edit: Pretty sure what the title means about "what this story is about" isn't about Subaru getting praised or his love for Emilia or anything like that. Its about how he can grow past the person he once was and be better as a person. He stops faking selflessness while being selfish for his weak pride and instead owns up to basically everything he fucked up on.

He ends up pretty much the same as he was in the first two arcs before hamfisted writing had him do whatever it is he was doing in the beginning of this arc. His character arc was really poorly executed and the over the top praise he gets is rather unearned. The guy is still obsessed with saving Emilia in way that doesn't appear to be all that different from before.

Re:Zero
I guess they wanted to end on a note that "redeemed" Subaru. I guess that's okay for the typical audience but, it wasn't all that satisfying for why I watched the show. The battle and chase with Beetleguese was cool though. I guess ending with that twist would just have a bit too much for the fanbase for a show likely not to get a second season anytime soon

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Re:Zero
I guess they wanted to end on a note that "redeemed" Subaru. I guess that's okay for the typical audience but, it wasn't all that satisfying for why I watched the show. The battle and chase with Beetleguese was cool though. I guess ending with that twist would just have a bit too much for the fanbase for a show likely not to get a second season anytime soon

That and they want to sell merchandise of a character who exists.

Mailbox

He ends up in pretty much the same he was in the first two arcs before hamfisted writing had him do whatever it is he was doing in the beginning of this arc. His character arc was really poorly executed and the over the top praise he gets is rather unearned. The guy is still obsessed with saving Emilia in way that doesn't appear to be all that different from before.

The thing is, he really doesn't end up the same. Especially in the second arc he's very much sleazy in his "i wanna help you for your sake" shtick which is obviously not true considering he constantly acts like what he is in isn't reality. He has his respawn to negate the negative shit that he does, which is why he doesn't have any lasting effects to his character nor much development. Arc 1 is definitely about getting out alive, its all about survival. Arc 2 is about realizing that only surviving isn't enough and that he should strive for a better future. Arc 3 is all about how Subaru sees himself, those around him, and his position in the world. He comes to accept that he himself is worthless and that he needs more than himself to save the day and (due to lasting effects the decisions he made) has to face actual lasting consequences. In the end he becomes what he wanted to be, but only by accepting that he wasn't that thing in the first place and realizing who he was and why he was really doing things.

Subaru in arcs 1 and 2 is a very different Subaru to the one at the end of arc 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom