• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Alderamin ep.11
Damn, I guess that ending had a lot of foreshadowing build into it about Ikta and Yatori. Pretty gripping moment that has deep saddness built into it. Matthew is spot on though, war is all about killing and dying abd they are getting a crash course in it.

I agree but given Re:Zeros absurd popularity a season 2 is a given at this point or at least I hope so.

and HOLY SHIT I finally read what happens to Rem and Crusch and i gotta say the
arc bishops of greed and gluttony are absolutely terrifying given their strength and dialogue while beatlejuice always came off as more wacky than scary. I was shocked when Ley (gluttony) said that he could just make another White whale also REEEEM NOOO they were gonna leave you alone why did you attack them ;_;

Look on the bright side, we can tell that Rem is healthy...
her being a vegetable and all that

gargles

Orange - 12

I'd probably feel sadder and more heartbroken with that text if I liked Kakeru. But with all those previous episodes, I just can't do it. Neither with him or Naho. Even so, it was a strong moment and it was easily this episode's best one.
And the time travel mechanism? No, I don't buy it. A time machine would've been better, and I'm not sure that would be the best explanation one could give.

One episode to go. Want to see how this ends.

Look on the bright side, we can tell that Rem is healthy...
her being a vegetable and all that

f1D9BgM.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Re:Zero-25
Oh what the fuck. How many times do they have to beat the same dude? Not to mention
the Subaru being possessed trap was unavoidable?
Then what the fuck was the point of this loop? This arc was just drawn out and should have ended at the end of the White Whale battle as the rest of this wasn't particularly exciting or interesting. The show had its emotional climax episode over 7 episodes back.
6iqqRCn.jpg

Yea I noticed too.
Emilia is such a non-existent character. Even in the climax of this arc she has no agency and instead again waits around for Subaru to bail her out. Besides that the wagon chase with
Sloth felt like it was coming out of another show in that the writers had Subaru posing and doing dramatic one-liners, which somewhat serves to undercut a large theme of this arc. This was typical LN fare and handled in the most grandiose way possible making it stand at odds with earlier episodes.
Completely unearned because how many times in the past 10+ episodes have we even heard something that was not an argument between the two? Unlike the above elements, this actively angered me as the two have had such little interactions that any sort of meaningful romance between the two at this point comes across as rushed and forced.

Sölf

I have to say, I love Handa, I really do, but it's a shame that quite a few people are just angry with the show because "it's not like Barakamon!". Yes, it's different, but it's a great show nontheless. I can understand if people don't like the humor, but simply not liking it because it's different from another show in the same universe. Eh. Why?

Also, Eraser needs her own spinoff.

Sölf;217302504 said:
I have to say, I love Handa, I really do, but it's a shame that quite a few people are just angry with the show because "it's not like Barakamon!". Yes, it's different, but it's a great show nontheless. I can understand if people don't like the humor, but simply not liking it because it's different from another show in the same universe. Eh. Why?

Also, Eraser needs her own spinoff.

I don't think anybody still watching this are complaining that it's not like Barakamon. They should have gotten that from the start. Well maybe not the start considering how 4th wall breaking that first episode was. But from the second episode onward.

Still, it was an enjoyable comedy. I don't know if I liked Swagamoto or this more. Probably this.

Chase17

Soma 12
Probably the best episode of the season. This new arc has been much more interesting than the tournament. Next week should be good.

Too bad it took 10 episodes to get here. The tournament arc was fine, but I think the competitions become less interesting when they are set back to back like that. Leads to a weird escalation of powers when it comes to food.

KtSlime

From what I gather from the reddit thread, the anime was following the LN, which ended (or is currently at?) where the anime ended, except it had 2 extra sentences at the end that would have led to a real cliffhanger ending. The web novel is further ahead, but I dunno by how much. Attack on Titan took 4 years for another season, so the wait may be long for us. Really hope it ends up getting another season though, really like the show.

Book 9 of the LN comes out this Friday, will pick it up on my way home from work.

Orange - 12

Basically they showed us Kakeru's side from the original timeline, and how his depression lead to his suicide. I sympathised a little more with him, and his situation. Specially after he read that draft message.

Naho in this timeline kept trying hard to make up with him. If I was him I'd probably be annoyed at how pushy she is being. We know that she has a eason to, since the final date is drawing near, but I really can't understand how she can feel for him this strongly when he has done nothing of note for her. Her feelings aren't just those of someone trying to save another person, she legitimately loves this kid for some reason. Suwa stays crying in a corner.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Re;Zero I enjoyed this overall. The highs were high enough for me that their mere promise was enough to help slog through some of the lulls where we are forced to spend time with Subaru. He really is the worst part of the show, which sucks but I guess it helps make us really hype for when bad things happen to him, I guess? Also sucks because man are these dope time powers wasted on him. Though, there really should be a spoiler warning on any LN adaptation that goes "Listen, you might see some cool shit, but we do not have time to answer them." The fact we got no concrete answers regarding The Witch, Pride, or fluffybottoms true form is pretty frustrating for me cause they were hands down the most interesting aspects of the world. Oh well, at least it didn't end on that terrible cliff hanger ending the LN had. When I read about it, I went, "God damn it, really?" Maaaaan, the lows of this show are fucking terrible...

KtSlime

Sölf;217308495 said:
I just read up on that LN ending in Re: Zero.

Fuck. I need S2 now.

Book 10 will come out at the end of October, not too long of cliffhanger.

I'm not worried about not knowing much about mysteries of their world, the LN is quite popular, so I am sure they will be answered in time.

Re:Zero - 25

A happy ending is what we get then. Makes sense that they'd stop it here on a high note, leaving the door open to continuing this show in the future, once more of the LN is out. Re:Zero was interesting for the fact that it threw the protagonist under the bus and made the viewer hate him so much, risking to lose its audience. In the end, we were given a guy that isn't perfect, is very selfish and continues to admit so to the end. He manages to be a hero in the end, and everything good... or is it?
Screw it. I'm posting it here anyway. Read after you finish Re:Zero episode 25 if you wish.

Rem gets attacked by the archbishop of Gluttony and falls into a coma and ends up forgotten by everybody but Subaru.

She's been out of the series for the past three arcs in the web novel and is still out of it.
Yup, as I said before I had a vague idea of what was going to happen thanks to my friend telling me, but it made sense to leave it out. This will most likely be where the second season picks up from, and it will be the punch to the gut that it so loves to give to the viewers.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 23

And the 9th idol to debut is... some random girl who just showed up and not Koharu, the person who is Yume's roommate and closest friend. I always knew Koharu sucked, but by now it's really clear nobody cares about her. Just let her sleep through the season like she wanted to here. Tsubasa is good at getting a random appearance in various episodes. Yume needs to realize her individuality is farting rainbows or something. But the star this time is Lily Shirogane. From Song Class. Dang it, why can't Dance get another person? Or even Theater? Anyway, she has a way with words. Everything must sound as complex and elegant as possible when coming from her mouth. She'll be fun. And a great performer. The true successor to Yurika and Sumire. Nice for Yuzu to have a friend back in the game. Of course Yuzu had to screw up the schedule to get Lily in, but Yuzu always gets what Yuzu wants.

Lily is a 2nd year, a cool type idol, and in Song Class. So that brings some interesting implications. She's likely to inherit Hime's position in S4, which means Yume and Laura can't get it for now, which means Stars will likely have a second season. Yuzu has the Pop and Dance parts of S4 covered. Assuming Lily gets in, she'll have the Cool and Song parts. Mahiru has very good odds of getting in, meaning she'll have Sexy and Beauty. Which leaves Theater. Ako is the only candidate we know right now, but she's a Pop type. Which means S4 will either have an uneven distribution of idol types, or Theater Class has Cute type idol hiding somewhere.

kewlmyc

The studios don't make the call about whether a show gets a sequel or not.

True, just really burnt on Devil is a Part Timer never getting a sequel. It's not the studio's fault, but it's easy to blame them just like how people blame Madhouse for never doing sequels.

I agree but given Re:Zeros absurd popularity a season 2 is a given at this point or at least I hope so.

There are several anime with absurd popularity that never got continuations of their LN material.

Spice and Wolf
Magical Index
Devil is a Part Timer
Irregular at Magic High School (getting a movie, but it's original content and not a continuation)
Accel World (also got a movie that was half original material and half recap)

All of those were popular and sold just as well, if not better as Re:Zero. Nothing's guaranteed, despite a series doing great numbers. Like I'm baffled the best selling LN "Magical Index" keeps getting denied a 3rd season. Guess the LN sales can't improve any further than they already have.

Said character is Puck right?

I'm going to collect all the Puck figures and body pillows and towels.

Yep, you totally nailed it. :p

I'd totally buy a Puck doll.

KtSlime

True, just really burnt on Devil is a Part Timer never getting a sequel. It's not the studio's fault, but it's easy to blame them just like how people blame Madhouse for never doing sequels.

There are several anime with absurd popularity that never got continuations of their LN material.

Spice and Wolf
Magical Index
Devil is a Part Timer
Irregular at Magic High School (getting a movie, but it's original content and not a continuation)
Accel World (also got a movie that was half original material and half recap)

All of those were popular and sold just as well, if not better as Re:Zero. Nothing's guaranteed, despite a series doing great numbers. Like I'm baffled the best selling LN "Magical Index" keeps getting denied a 3rd season. Guess the LN sales can't improve any further than they already have.

Yep, you totally nailed it. :p

I'd totally buy a Puck doll.

It's a long standing tradition to never complete anime following LN. Anime is nice, but reading is pretty good too.

Cornbread78

ReZero END
re-zero-25.jpg

Damn, I'll give that underdeveloped
ship
a pass because the show, as a whole, was an awesome watch to experience. The fibal episode packed a bunch noce action scenes and Subaru stepped up like a man and actually acted like a main protag for once. I like the way the final scene was presented with both music and art, but there was a serious lack of the color blue there. I guess it might make sense if they lump in an S2 to actually develope that
ship
but hey, the show was great, so I'll take it.

Waiting for our Yuri goggled friends to post their impressions on Euphonium 2. Those are surely going to be a treat.

The yuri/not yuri debates with Eupho last year were the worst. Impressions became not about sharing thoughts about the overall show itself, but rather a maddening angry horse race to see whether the MC would hook up with her best friend.

Hopefully there won't be much of that this time around, not when the actual yuri show Flip Flappers airs in the same season.

The ones that are mad weren't watching the show fyi :p
nintendoman I'm looking at you

Pfft. If anything I'm happy in the end that I didn't get invested in the show to watch it all the way through.

I probably would have looked up what would have happened afterwards and have gotten so angry.

jonjonaug

The yuri/not yuri debates with Eupho last year were the worst. Impressions became not about sharing thoughts about the overall show itself, but rather a maddening angry horse race to see whether the MC would hook up with her best friend.

Hopefully there won't be much of that this time around, not when the actual yuri show Flip Flappers airs in the same season.

Is there something about Flip Flappers I'm missing? It looks like a generic magical girl anime.

Unless the words "directed by Ikuhara" are in there, there aren't really any good yuri anime (by which I mean "actual" yuri, not just yuribait/class S stuff). I'd love to see some, but the trailer for Flip Flappers doesn't really impress and I have no reason to expect this to ever change unless by some miracle Citrus or AnoKiss get anime adaptations.

Yeah idk about that. Ball's on their court I guess lol.

Pfft. If anything I'm happy in the end that I didn't get invested in the show to watch it all the way through.

I probably would have looked up what would have happened afterwards and have gotten so angry.
I actually think that if they did end it like that it would have been really fucking cool. Would have been the perfect way to finish things off in a very "Re:Zero kind of way".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom