• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Koe no Katachi

%E6%98%A0%E7%94%BB%E3%80%8E%E8%81%B2%E3%81%AE%E5%BD%A2%E3%80%8F%20%E3%83%AD%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0PV.mp4_snapshot_02.22_%5B2016.09.19_14.08.42%5D.jpg

Still can't get over how fucking stupid that character design is.

TUSR

Banned
Artistically, its amazingly interesting. Direction & cinematography wise, its cool. Narritively, its does cool prep work for a unfortunately underwhelming character arc (I could do a write up about how disappointing Nagato's whole character arc really is, but that would be too much work, and i'm lazy :p).

But pacing wise, its a downright mess. it should have been 5 episodes MAX. 2 for the first loop, 2 for the alter-loop and 1 to escape. It would have still made us focus on the repetition and made of feel empathy, but my god they went overboard with that shit.

was there ever a given reason as to why we actually got 8 episodes of endless eight, all i heard was speculation.

I think Hitler loved it.

i shouldnt follow this up.

my blurays should be here tomorrow, cant wait to rewatch it.

I just said I watch it every other summer! It's brilliant.

youre a good man

i miss your sao gifs

Mailbox

O_O HOLY FUCK, why didn't anyone tell me this was happening, HOLY SHIT.
Someone should have messaged me, posted something, ANYTHING! HOLY FUCK. I've been asking for this since this show aired, and my GOD ITS FINALLY HERE!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

I know no one else gives a flying fuck but I've been wanting a Kawaisou Bluray for the longest freakin time and now its gonna be in my arms before years end! I don't buy lots of anime, but this has been on my "to buy list" simply because i fell in love with its use of colours, saturation, and palette. Visually amazing show everyone forgot about!

BLISS; ABSOLUTE BLISS!!!
Linky for pre-ordering

9YpndEz.gif

Thoraxes

Someone should have messaged me, posted something, ANYTHING! HOLY FUCK. I've been asking for this since this show aired, and my GOD ITS FINALLY HERE!
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

I know no one else gives a flying fuck but I've been wanting a Kawaisou Bluray for the longest freakin time and now its gonna be in my arms before years end! I don't buy lots of anime, but this has been on my "to buy list" simply because i fell in love with its use of colours, saturation, and palette. Visually amazing show everyone forgot about!

BLISS; ABSOLUTE BLISS!!!
Linky for pre-ordering
http://i.imgur.com/9YpndEz.gif

I would've if I could remember the back and forth posts we had way back when you asked about it and I told you it was a hold-back title. I just didn't remember who it was ;_;

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
YESYESYESYESYESYESYES

BLISS; ABSOLUTE BLISS!!!
Linky for pre-ordering

9YpndEz.gif
Wawawawaoh
Is this just english glasslip? And 41 dollars getoutahere

Mailbox

I would've if I could remember the back and forth posts we had way back when you asked about it and I told you it was a hold-back title. I just didn't remember who it was ;_;

It's okay, I'm just so happy :')

Wawawawaoh
Is this just english glasslip? And 41 dollars getoutahere

Not even funny.

Edit: in case you were actually asking, no. Its a comedy slice of life type show that actually has a really good, fun cast that plays off each other really well. There's no real melodrama or nonsense. Personally I adore the visuals too (even if it may be a bit to liberal with god-rays) but everything else about it isn't a slouch by any means :3

Mailbox

Im sorry but the title made literally go "what" and the description didnt help.
I'll take my SkullMan bluray and go...

Sorry, i had a bit of a feeling you might be genuinely asking, so I updated my post. Sorry :p

Its actually very entertaining, well animated, and has ace art. Just the fact no one but me brings it up ever is kinda sad to me :(

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Sorry, i had a bit of a feeling you might be genuinely asking, so I updated my post. Sorry :p

Its actually very entertaining, well animated, and has ace art. Just the fact no one but me brings it up ever is kinda sad to me :(
From the little i understand from the description, its like Chunibiyou but competent?

Line_HTX

Sola ep.1

I could already tell after the first couple mins that the childhood friend is going to end up completely broken by the end of this show. With that being said, I have no idea what I just watched either looks like some supernatural, drama heavy, crapmance, where the most entertainment I will get it guessing how bad the childhood friend will get burned by the end...

Has anyone watched this?

I watched it many years ago the year it aired, but I don't remember much from it. I know there was supernatural stuff and drama, and I vaguely remember it had a good ending.

Mailbox

From the little i understand from the description, its like Chunibiyou but competent?

No quite right. Its more like the whole cast is just a bunch of oddballs (but not delusional oddballs. Its kind of more... grounded.... i guess... idk how to put it). Interestingly a majority of the cast is actually comprised of adults, even though the main character and his love interest are still in highschool. No one is really Chunni in this show. I say try out the first 2 episodes and decide if its for you :) Its on Crunchyroll right now as an Fyi

A part of me wants to rewatch it again, but another side of me wants to wait until I get the BD :3

Thoraxes

It's a series about a group of people that live together in a housing complex. There's very light romance elements between the main male and female, but it's ultimately about the day-to-day life of the main male character and his interactions with the denizens of the complex and his school-life.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
No quite right. Its more like the whole cast is just a bunch of oddballs (but not delusional oddballs. Its kind of more... grounded.... i guess... idk how to put it). Interestingly a majority of the cast is actually comprised of adults, even though the main character and his love interest are still in highschool. No one is really Chunni in this show. I say try out the first 2 episodes and decide if its for you :) Its on Crunchyroll right now as an Fyi

A part of me wants to rewatch it again, but another side of me wants to wait until I get the BD :3
I still need to get around to new game. I barely manage to finish episode one but i need to know if they will talk about the true developer nightmares:
Making a person look up in a first person or 3d game. Oh and red barrels.
It's a series about a group of people that live together in a housing complex. There's very light romance elements between the main male and female, but it's ultimately about the day-to-day life of the main male character and his interactions with the denizens of the complex and his school-life.
Well when you say it like that then i need a bigger hook like tsuritama, not literally tho.

Mailbox

Yeah this! Thanks Thoraxes. :3

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy...

The insanity came from it being eight episodes over eight weeks, not eight episodes within the span of 24 minutes while being fully aware of the gimmick.

That and people have done the whole all eight in one go thing for ages. If anything it's easy mode. You either just concentrate on one screen or it's just such an overload on the senses you don't take anything in. At least watch them back to back to stretch out the repetition.

Endless Eight is a masterpiece and should be consumed in a respectful manner.

HunterxHunter-71

The power levels in this show are so completely fucking arbitrary that it's actively ruining my enjoyment of the anime.

Yeh, that's only going to get substantially worse the further you get along.

e:
In hindsight, it seems like every damn scrub they encounter could easily pass the hunter exam, which originally was made out to be this huge deal. World building is quite bad in HxH imo.

Jarmel

Banned
Yeh, that's only going to get substantially worse the further you get along.

This was already bothering me in the Hunter exam but it's getting progressively worse. It's like the writer has Gon/ Killua/Kurapika doing these amazing feats and then realizing afterwards that he fucked up and needed to make them underdogs.

What the fuck. Is this random Bomber guy on a Phantom Troupe level?

e:
In hindsight, it seems like every damn scrub they encounter could easily pass the hunter exam, which originally was made out to be this huge deal. World building is quite bad in HxH imo.
Yea I'll get to writing this up in the next couple of days but I find the worldbuilding in HxH to be pisspoor. It ruined the Yorkshire arc because of how apparently nobody can stand up to the Phantom Troupe except one fucking kid and maybe the Zoldyck family.

Qurupeke

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works [END]
It was an okay ending. The climax had its moments and I liked that EoE like atmosphere, but F/Z certainly did it better. It had a more vague ending, but it was very well executed. UBW's ending was satisfying though.

So, I can't believe Kirei did... nothing... I was sure his death was another fake out. And it's completely ridiculous that Shinji was saved and essentially got his redemption. Not only that, but his final scene is so... normal, like he didn't harass Tohsaka or killed anyone...Also, I get that Sakura's story is in Heaven's Feel, but it's laughable how much screen time she has at the start and then she just disappears. I'm curious about Assassin though. Did he just wait to the temple all this time? It was like "Oh we forgot about him, let's give him something to do."

Overall, I guess it wasn't a waste of time. It had some nice scenes and some terrible ones. Saber got little to no characterization, though this applies to most of the other servants as well. I liked Caster and Archer, Lancer was fine, but the rest were forgettable. This applies to the general cast even more. The action was obviously top notch, unlimited budget works as people like to say...

I think I had enough of the FSN universe for now, if I'm not mistaken, nothing else is worth it anyway.

cheesekao

This was already bothering me in the Hunter exam but it's getting progressively worse. It's like the writer has Gon/ Killua/Kurapika doing these amazing feats and then realizing afterwards that he fucked up and needed to make them underdogs.

What the fuck. Is this random Bomber guy on a Phantom Troupe level?

Yea I'll get to writing this up in the next couple of days but I find the worldbuilding in HxH to be pisspoor. It ruined the Yorkshire arc because of how apparently nobody can stand up to the Phantom Troupe except one fucking kid and maybe the Zoldyck family.
Are you simply against super strong baddies? Gon and his friends just started out as hunters and Kurapica had to do a very specific thing to even stand a chance against a professional S class criminal and even then he was fighting against a meathead. Also, the Zoldycks were fighting against the big bad of the group and is likely to be the strongest of the bunch. Furthermore, bomber isn't on the same level as the troupe because if he was, Gon would've been dead.

Jarmel

Banned
Are you against super strong baddies or what? Gon and his friends just started out as hunters and Kurapica had to do a very specific thing to even stand a chance against a professional S class criminal and even then he was fighting against a meathead. Also, the Zoldycks were fighting against the big bad of the group and is likely to be the strongest of the bunch. Furthermore, bomber isn't on the same level as the troupe because if he was, Gon would've been dead.

Gon is capable of landing a hit on Hisoka and this was before he went through two arcs of training and this random fucking nobody is apparently giving Gon grief?
None of this shit makes any sense. This guy is like some filler villain that is written to be more powerful than the protagonists for no other reason than because. I'm not even sure why Biscuit herself isn't wrecking this dude by herself.

cheesekao

Gon is capable of landing a hit on Hisoka and this was before he went through two arcs of training and this random fucking nobody is apparently giving Gon grief?
Hisoka wasn't taking the fight seriously and Gon took advantage of that. Note how Gon was utterly outclassed throughout the entire match after the punch.

None of this shit makes any sense. This guy is like some filler villain that is written to be more powerful than the protagonists for no other reason than because. I'm not even sure why Biscuit herself isn't wrecking this dude by herself.
You're gonna have to explain why you're against a strong villain. It's a big world and Gon has only just started out as a hunter despite being talented and whatnot. The battle also shows that wits can compensate for lack of strength. If you don't like bomber being strong just because, then that's just your personal pet peeve and I have nothing to say about it.

Jarmel

Banned
Hisoka wasn't taking the fight seriously and Gon took advantage of that. Note how Gon was utterly outclassed throughout the entire match after the punch.

That was considered a good punch on Hisoka hence the critical award, partially due to the use of the stone, and he himself was impressed by it. It wasn't as if it was a freebe.
You're gonna have to explain why you're against a strong villain. It's a big world and Gon has only just started out as a hunter despite being talented and whatnot. The battle also shows that wits can compensate for lack of strength. If you don't like bomber being strong just because, then that's just your personal pet peeve and I have nothing to say about it.

Because there isn't any sort of writing to support it. Gon was able to have an attack comparable to Razor and his Ren output supposedly was fairly high in that dodgeball battle, yet he's having difficulty in a Nen battle against a guy that apparently isn't a Phantom Troupe or really isn't a particularly famous Hunter?

If Gon is that weak, then he shouldn't be capable of doing some of the feats shown or at least the other Hunters shouldn't be that impressed. It feels as if the anime wants to have its cake and eat it too.

jgminto

That problem is definitely at its biggest during the Greed Island arc, with the Phantom Troupe and the next set of foes they at least do a decent job of showing why you should believe they're threatening to the heroes, even though the amount Gon and Killua's power seems to rubber band is still ridiculous. Greed Island is probably the worst arc all things considered, I barely remember any of it outside of Biscuit and the fantastic dodgeball game.

duckroll

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works [END]

So, I can't believe Kirei did... nothing... I was sure his death was another fake out. And it's completely ridiculous that Shinji was saved and essentially got his redemption. Not only that, but his final scene is so... normal, like he didn't harass Tohsaka or killed anyone...Also, I get that Sakura's story is in Heaven's Feel, but it's laughable how much screen time she has at the start and then she just disappears. I'm curious about Assassin though. Did he just wait to the temple all this time? It was like "Oh we forgot about him, let's give him something to do."

I dunno what you were expecting. Fate/Stay Night is bad. UBW is bad. And if you are only watching bad shit to get some closure from F/Z, you should have just waited for the final Heaven's Feel movie.

Because that's the only ending where Shiro and Kirei get to have a climatic fist fight lol.

Branduil

Fate is probably the only franchise where the prequel is leagues better than any other part of it and the only part worth watching.

Jarmel

Banned
Anytime you start to fixate on power levels in a battle series you may as well stop, because it's pretty much impossible for creators to keep those consistent.

Part of the problem is as jgminto described, in that it's rubberbanding, so it's hard to get a sense of whether the character's actually progressed in fighting capability. Also when the seeming contradictions are spaced so closely together, you can't help but scratch your head.

The other one is that the power levels seem to actively hurt the worldbuilding in that how the fuck does a society function when apparently a group of bad guys seem to have near complete authority to do whatever they want? I can understand the Phantom Troupe being a group of really powerful thieves but when there seems to be virtually nobody capable of stopping them literally committing massacres of thousands of people in the street, I have to wonder how they even have a functioning government.

cheesekao

That was considered a good punch on Hisoka hence the critical award, partially due to the use of the stone, and he himself was impressed by it. It wasn't as if it was a freebe.
Never said it was but you're fooling yourself if you think Hisoka was serious in that match.

Because there isn't any sort of writing to support it. Gon was able to have an attack comparable to Razor and his Ren output supposedly was fairly high in that dodgeball battle, yet he's having difficulty in a Nen battle against a guy that apparently isn't a Phantom Troupe or really isn't a particularly famous Hunter?
False equivalence. He had to stand still and charge his move for quite some time whereas Razor can do the same by simply smacking the ball. The power of their hits may be the same but Gon had to overexert himself and had to charge up the move for an extended period of time. Gon would have been destroyed by Razor if it was a 1-on-1 fist fight.

If Gon is that weak, then he shouldn't be capable of doing some of the feats shown or at least the other Hunters shouldn't be that impressed. It feels as if the anime wants to have its cake and eat it too.
Gon is only weak relative to the veterans but as stated in the anime, he has a lot of potential. His growth is exponentially higher than the average hunter but when he's up against people who have years of experience under their belt, him being weaker than them shouldn't be a surprise.

Part of the problem is as jgminto described, in that it's rubberbanding, so it's hard to get a sense of whether the character's actually progressed in fighting capability. Also when the seeming contradictions are spaced so closely together, you can't help but scratch your head.
I'm perfectly aware of where their capabilities stand. If you don't then that's just you.

The other one is that the power levels seem to actively hurt the worldbuilding in that how the fuck does a society function when apparently a group of bad guys seem to have near complete authority to do whatever they want? I can understand the Phantom Troupe being a group of really powerful thieves but when there seems to be virtually nobody capable of stopping them literally committing massacres of thousands of people in the street, I have to wonder how they even have a functioning government.
The Phantom Troupe has specific targets. They don't steal shit every day of the week and it could be months or even years between their group gigs. Ask yourself this, how did society function in the past when there were so many wars going on where hundred of thousands of people died or when there were tyrant kings who did whatever the fuck they wanted? The troupe killing a hundred or so once in a blue moon seems like chump change. Also, the auction largely consisted of mobsters so I don't see any reason for the government to interfere.

Qurupeke

I dunno what you were expecting. Fate/Stay Night is bad. UBW is bad. And if you are only watching bad shit to get some closure from F/Z, you should have just waited for the final Heaven's Feel movie.

Because that's the only ending where Shiro and Kirei get to have a climatic fist fight lol.
You know, I'm not even sure why I watched it. The end of F/Z left me confused but I already got the answers I wanted before UBW. Perhaps I just hoped that UBW was something more than a good looking mediocrity. I hope Heaven's Feel isn't bad...

Cornbread78

Lol, I had a lot of fun with ot, but there is a serious lack of an S2...

Toradora 1-2
My best friend Jacky Mao recommended this to me.
I like the mom

I'm surprised you haven't seen this one yet. Enjoy the ride.

L.O.R.D

ReZero END

giphy.gif

soo,is that's it?

for me,it was okey show,nothing spectacular,too much talking that doesn't make sense,so much un answered questions,and most important question of all:
WHERE THE FUCK IS HE? DOESN'T HE CARE ABOUT RETURNING TO THE REAL WORLD?

i guess i'll give it 5 out of 10,most of the show was driving me to sleep.

oh BTW,that final 10 minutes,all that cringe...

giphy.gif

phaze

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Chuuni aka
Chuunibyo demo Koi ga Shitai ! 12 END

I've seen worse KyoAni shows. Not that that's exactly a high bar to clear but honestly, I'm not sure if I wouldn't call Chuunibyo somewhat decent. The beginning was a pretty awful cringefest and basically what I expected the entirety of it to be but with expansion of cast came a much more bearable humour + some fun interactions and the entirely unexpected focus on Rikka's issues gave the show a strong core even if I don't like how it handled some things or where it ultimately ended up.

Rinka >

duckroll

You know, I'm not even sure why I watched it. The end of F/Z left me confused but I already got the answers I wanted before UBW. Perhaps I just hoped that UBW was something more than a good looking mediocrity. I hope Heaven's Feel isn't bad...

It will definitely be bad. That's why you should only watch the final movie. Or maybe just watch the final fight when someone puts it on Youtube. :p

Jarmel

Banned
False equivalence. He had to stand still and charge his move for quite some time whereas Razor can do the same by simply smacking the ball. The power of their hits may be the same but Gon had to overexert himself and had to charge up the move for an extended period of time. Gon would have been destroyed by Razor if it was a 1-on-1 fist fight.

Razor wasn't just simply smacking the ball. The show went to efforts showing that he was definitely giving it his all such as spiking and being forced to divert the ball upwards. Yes he wasn't near killing himself like Gon was, nor did he have to charge the ball, however Gon was able to put up such high amounts of Shu that seemingly everybody there was impressed. The fact that he was even able to keep up with a guy, that even the Phantom Troupe seemed slightly shook up about, should speak to how powerful he is at that point.

Gon is only weak relative to the veterans but as stated in the anime, he has a lot of potential. His growth is exponentially higher than the average hunter but when he's up against people who have years of experience under their belt, him being weaker than them shouldn't be a surprise.

Gon has repeatedly shown in the show to be past a number of experienced Hunters. For example he seems to be way past Tsezguerra and supposedly Killua's display during the dodgeball game was an act equivalent to something Biscuit could have done in her twenties. Both of them should be capable of holding their own against most opponents.

For example if you look at Genthru, he's apparently such a good fighter that Gon was getting wrecked but yet he was working with Nicke's group which implied he needed help gathering the cards in the first place. Gon and Killua seemingly had little difficulty getting a good number of cards and they were just training for a good chunk of time. It's completely inconsistent.

I'm perfectly aware of where their capabilities stand. If you don't then that's just you.

Well considering other people have mentioned it's a problem, I don't necessarily find you credible on this front.

The Phantom Troupe has specific targets. They don't steal shit every day of the week and it could be months or even years between their group gigs. Ask yourself this, how did society function in the past when there were so many wars going on where hundred of thousands of people died or when there were tyrant kings who did whatever the fuck they wanted? The troupe killed a hundred or so in just one day.

They killed over 2000 in the final battle and that was after the hundreds they killed at the initial auction. They were literally killing thousands of people in the streets. That wasn't some minor skirmish. It seems like any sort of modern society would have to have some sort of functional police force capable of countering said assault otherwise nobody would have any faith in that government to maintain law and order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom