• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mob Psycho 111

kVOOU4a.jpg
2IrOQu3.jpg
w6gHSCJ.jpg
jcRKSxE.jpg

All hail Big Boss Reigen!

I can't even imagine the sakuga fest we are getting next episode

Qurupeke

Mob Psycho 111

It keeps delivering. The last few scenes were so intense. And the show got another action scene with outstanding animation.

I really hope Bones announces another season at the end of the next episode like they did for MHA

They probably will. This should end around chapter 52 or so, and that's less then half the chapters that are out - although its hard to tell the actual length since ONE releases chapters like Kingdom Hearts and they are all named 83.2 remix 2nd edition

Show by Rock Shorts 12 END

i think the only reason i watched all of these is because they were 3 minutes long

Haha, ouch. I saw a gif of some dude doing a suplex on on a deer and it looked cool but I guess I'll skip it.

fwiw Nichijou's comedy is very hit or miss for people, but it has really good animation. If you're interested watch a few episodes and see

Cornbread78

Maybe Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari ?

Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem, Mecha, School

How bad is this one. We try to stay away from extreme fanservice/ecchi which is a real turn-off for some people. I might watch this on my own though, lol. Looks interesting.

What about Parasyte?

It's airing on Toonami now and is really popular, so most people have already seen it. (I haven't though, lol)

Majestic Prince?

Interesting.... hmm.

Not much to see in the PV but I hope it can at least mantain the level of season 1.

Shigurui beckons !

Gankutsuo seems like an conforming to the rules show that you haven't yet went through I think. Alternatively House of Five Leaves/Ergo Proxy if you're in such desperation. (Don't blame me when the thread dies after 3 posts though !)

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo,
Interesting, The synopsis is pretty vague though.... From the picture and the synopsis, it almost sounds like it could be BL, LOL.

It tells the story of Albert Morcerf, a young aristocrat who happens to befriend a wealthy nobleman, The Count of Monte Cristo, through a series of bizarre events. Fascinated by the Count's charm, Albert invites him to meet his friends and family, all of whom happen to be part of the upper class society of Paris, France. Unfortunately, little does Albert realize that the Count has ulterior motives in mind.

Are House of Five Leaves/Ergo Proxy boring shows?

Is Nichijou worth a watch?

Absolutely. Some people don't like the humor because it's a rather experimental show, but no one can deny the incredible animation on display. I'm a big fan personally.

So has Amazon still not fixed the latest episode of Battery having no subs?

Nope, just checked and still no English subs to be found. It's easy to tell that the non-Japanese Amazon branches have zero interest in the anime Amazon JP is funding.

ARQ movie
This movie is actually Re: Zero in Hollywood movie form.
I watched this last night. In fact, I watched both of them last night.

ARQ has none of the Best Girls that Re: Zero. ARQ has all the tropes of a good time loop story. Repeating scenario, a hint of the loop that was ignored, and repeats.

Re: Zero uses the time loop to explore more aspects of the story. This is very Japanese due to it's long history of visual novels that allow the player to view different time lines and make more informed decisions. Live. Die. Repeat. is a better analogy because that movie was based off Japanese source material.

ARQ is closer to the Dr. Who episode 'Hell Sent'. It only takes an hour and actually does all the aspects of the movie better and has fewer plot holes.

Anyway, none of that was necessary, Re:Zero is going to be an anime I recommend to people for a long time.

blurr

Arakawa Under the Bridge 06-07

This show is consistently fun and dabbles on interesting themes albeit a bit sketchy. If it wasn't clear already, I am quite liking it.

Stella remains great, Nino's stoicism is amusing in itself, her voice does remind me of someone.

Episode 7 had Ichinomiya question his own perception of "common sense" when he learned that Chief Kappa is simply living his life under his own ideals rather than something what his parents, society or ancestors endowed. This was starkly in contrast to Ichinomiya's beliefs.

Chief Kappa isn't an actual Kappa, he is just a man in a suit which is what Ichinomiya constantly complained about but it didn't bother the Chief or his friends. They accepted themselves the way they are and truly, being honest even to yourself is an admirable trait so I can understand why P-ko has fallen for him. It's worth noting how great lengths they went just to stay honest to themselves, perhaps unrealistic but it certainly establishes the importance and even plays out as a great backdrop for comedy.

Dammit, I need to find something between 12-24 episodes (older that the past couple years) that is decent/interesting and is streaming legally.

This process is impossible, lol.

You know, why not just say screw it to the whole thing and just go with a 52 episode show for once? Like Majin Bone. It's on Crunchyroll.

I get that the idea of Let's Watches should be something that's easier to get into, as that is usually the case with shows that are 12-24 episodes, but Majin Bone is a show that flies by rather quickly with well done fight scenes in every episode, and character and story development that happens in every episode as well.

It'd be good if this next Let's Watch would be something that would leave a lasting impression on people, rather than an average everyday LN adaptation that fades from people's minds mere weeks after it's finished.

phaze

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo,
Interesting, The synopsis is pretty vague though.... From the picture and the synopsis, it almost sounds like it could be BL, LOL.

It's a retelling of Monte Cristo but in future and some changes , that alone I feel can bring a bit of both interest from the crowds. + The artstyle is helluva unique, I don't you'll find another show like it and that's suposedly one of aims of these Let's Watches.
Are House of Five Leaves/Ergo Proxy boring shows?

No but it seems to me they can both be received as such. HoFL is just a very mellow affair. Ergo Proxy is just one of the more bizarre series out there, wth bouts of slow pace, aimlesness, mindfuck Monster of the Week episodes and frequent mode shifts that I doubt will received well. It ends somewhat on a cliffhanger too, one that for once didn't bother me much but again, I dunno how it would be received the watching crowd.

Mob Psycho 11

No wonder Reigen and the mooks got along so well.

All of them clearly fell from the stairs in childhood.

Exalted

Genres: Action, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Harem, Mecha, School

How bad is this one. We try to stay away from extreme fanservice/ecchi which is a real turn-off for some people. I might watch this on my own though, lol. Looks interesting.

I would say not really that much, most of it is comedic in nature, but yeah i could definitely see how some people might have trouble with it. It a really fun show, especially the later parts where more characters get introduced. The first few episodes are a bit more serious, but the later parts where he becomes a slave and has to serve in an almost all female pilot academy are hilarious. Would recommend to try it out on your own.

Cornbread78

"What? You haven't seen Death NOTE?"
but no joke, its fine. The second op is super brutal tho.
Death Note? So it can finally leave my backlog...

Death Note might be interesting. Is it still airing on Funi?

I would say not really that much, most of it is comedic in nature, but yeah i could definitely see how some people might have trouble with it. It a really fun show, especially the later parts where more characters get introduced. The first few episodes are a bit more serious, but the later parts where he becomes a slave and has to serve in an almost all female pilot academy are hilarious. Would recommend to try it out on your own.

If there isn't a lot of sexual stuff in it, then it could still work as it sounds like it has a much lighter tone than some of the other stuff.

Can anyone else weigh in on it? If it's not that bad, I could put this one as number 2/3.

It's a retelling of Monte Cristo but in future and some changes , that alone I feel can bring a bit of both interest from the crowds. + The artstyle is helluva unique, I don't you'll find another show like it and that's suposedly one of aims of these Let's Watches.

No but it seems to me they can both be received as such. HoFL is just a very mellow affair. Ergo Proxy is just one of the more bizarre series out there, wth bouts of slow pace, aimlesness, mindfuck Monster of the Week episodes and frequent mode shifts that I doubt will received well. It ends somewhat on a cliffhanger too, one that for once didn't bother me much but again, I dunno how it would be received the watching crowd.

I looked up the original novel in Wiki, and yeah, I'm pretty sure I had to read this in HS along with Gone with the Wind, Of Mice and Men, etc...

The story takes place in France, Italy, and islands in the Mediterranean during the historical events of 1815–1839: the era of the Bourbon Restoration through the reign of Louis-Philippe of France. It begins just before the Hundred Days period (when Napoleon returned to power after his exile). The historical setting is a fundamental element of the book, an adventure story primarily concerned with themes of hope, justice, vengeance, mercy, and forgiveness. It centres around a man who is wrongfully imprisoned, escapes from jail, acquires a fortune, and sets about getting revenge on those responsible for his imprisonment. However, his plans have devastating consequences for the innocent as well as the guilty. In addition, it is a story that involves romance, loyalty, betrayal, and selfishness, shown throughout the story as characters slowly reveal their true inner nature.

It's on Crunchy as well...

Hmm, I think we have three options now.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/gankutsuou?utm_source=android&utm_campaign=socialshare

phaze

@Cornbread

It's not an issue if the show is just on Funimation right ? I see Tatami Galaxy and FLCL available there, both are absolutely top-tier shows and check all/most of your boxes. FLCL has a chance of being pretty popular with it being a recognized name and the sequel(s?) in the making.

I remember Shigurui more for its wacky manga instead of the anime these days.

Greatest love story ever told.

I'm not sure if wacky is the word I'd use lol.

Mista Koo

I have a vague question relating to Anime Twitter and I didn't find a better place to ask it:
There was a popular tweet where someone made up an extremely ridiculous premise for an anime only to find out it actually existed. This is far-fetched but any ideas what the anime was?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I have a vague question relating to Anime Twitter and I didn't find a better place to ask it:
There was a popular tweet where someone made up an extremely ridiculous premise for an anime only to find out it actually existed. This is far-fetched but any ideas what the anime was?
Jojo.
HfoFyLI.jpg

Cornbread78

@Cornbread

It's not an issue if the show is just on Funimation right ? I see Tatami Galaxy and FLCL available there, both are absolutely top-tier shows and check all/most of your boxes. FLCL has a chance of being pretty popular with it being a recognized name and the sequel(s?) in the making.

Funi is fine. I asked about Tatami before and was told it would be a bad idea for a Let's Watch. FLCL was on Toonami already, but it might be good to visit it the season before it airs again.

Oh damn, Princess Nine is on Crunchy... Would that one work also?

http://www.crunchyroll.com/princess-nine

phaze

Funi is fine. I asked about Tatami before andvwas told it would beca bad idea for a Let's Watch.

NaDannMaGoGo, I'm holding you responsible !

----

There's repetition that can become grating at some point but I feel the other facets of the show are amazing enough to offset it. And the episodic nature would fit the one episode per day schedule. It's a college setting, unique artstyle, somewhat of a love story (ding ding) and got a satisfying ending. The one true authority on anime has already spoken and agrees with me:
tatamiw7s1d.png

I rest my case.

It never fails to sadden me at how easily ignored I am whenever I bring up Majin Bone in here.

It's depressing to think that so many people ignore this wonderful show either because it's a kids show based off a digital card game or its 6.85 MAL rating.

I know I don't stop talking about it in here and it's probably annoying to some, but I seriously don't want this criminally underrated and underwatched show to end up forgotten in here.

Cornbread78

It never fails to sadden me at how easily ignored I am whenever I bring up Majin Bone in here.

It's depressing to think that so many people ignore this wonderful show either because it's a kids show based off a digital card game or its 6.85 MAL rating.

I know I don't stop talking about it in here and it's probably annoying to some, but I seriously don't want this criminally underrated and underwatched show to end up forgotten in here.

The only problem from a "Let's Watch" standpoint would be keeping interest through 50+ episodes.

1-24 is definitely a better length.

Looks very, very silly. Which could be good if done right. I'll give it a shot, but I'll admit my expectations have gone down after that trailer. To be fair, I don't even know what I was expecting in the first place.

It's from the director and main writer of Osomatsu-san, so it's safe to expect something of a similar light-hearted tone. Probably more family friendly though, since it's airing on NHK's educational TV channel.

Who is the pinked haiedr one supposed to be?

That's Mozart.

It's from the director and main writer of Osomatsu-san, so it's safe to expect something of a similar light-hearted tone. Probably more family friendly though, since it's airing on NHK's educational TV channel.

Yup should be a riot. I'll see if the humour works for me or not. Osomatsu was great, but it also had a few episodes where it did nothing for me.

Qurupeke

I'm sorry, I only watch mature shows with a MAL score of 8.4+ like UBW and Re: Zero.

Shows like this, or Danball Senki, are not my cup of tea. They're pretty long, they have a lot of kids as protagonists and they seem like the "silly but fun" type of show. I really like your enthusiasm for them and I'd like to support you, but I think they're just not for me.

phaze

I'm sorry, I only watch mature shows with a MAL score of 8.4+ like UBW and Re: Zero.

I knew you were one of the good guys.

OK, I'll let the people vote (well, hopefully they vote)

Tatami Galaxy or Monte Cristo

#1 or #2

Tatami:

http://www.funimation.com/shows/the-tatami-galaxy/home

Monte Cristo:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/gankutsuo...gn=socialshare

It should be noted that Gankutsuo is available only in 480p quality.

I enjoyed it quite alot but TG is in like, 3rd spot on my all time anime list so I'm obviously gonna vote for it.

Casshern Sins 22

What the hell is Luna's deal.

I feel they're quickly running out of time to properly address all the issues raised hitherto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom