• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasuke_91

Yeah Your Name had one ridiculously long sequence of amazing animation. It's a really beautiful film, probably worth seeing just for that if you are into it

Not a fan of Shinkai's films, but I'm a sucker for good animation.
Has it been released on BluRay yet? I want to have the best quality possible.

Future Boy Conan 19

I wasn't expecting this show to turn Monsley into such a sympathetic character. She showed a much more vulnerable side here than she's ever done before. Her flashback to her experience of the great disaster, while simple, was rather powerfully executed. The aftermath reminded me, in a vastly less intense way of course, of Barefoot Gen.

Mailbox

Shit, now that this season is ending, I need to start making my new avatar. Still have no idea who to draw from the shows happening next season. (its a lil extra weird since I haven't watched any of Food Wars season 2 yet... huh...)

With that said, I really need to buckle down and watch everything I missed right now :S Way too many episodes on my queue.

leroidys

I bought and am currently making my way through that Darkstalkers anime that recently got a new DVD release, and it's making me super nostalgic for that era of 90s anime I grew up watching.

Anybody want to recommend me some GoaT-tier anime? Other shows I include in this tier are stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, NGE, etc. It doesn't have to be strictly mid-early nineties though, I'm open to whatever, so long as it's good. Preferably something that's not more than a few seasons.

Line_HTX

Shit, now that this season is ending, I need to start making my new avatar. Still have no idea who to draw from the shows happening next season. (its a lil extra weird since I haven't watched any of Food Wars season 2 yet... huh...)

With that said, I really need to buckle down and watch everything I missed right now :S Way too many episodes on my queue.

You whut, mate?

:mad:

I bought and am currently making my way through that Darkstalkers anime that recently got a new DVD release, and it's making me super nostalgic for that era of 90s anime I grew up watching.

Anybody want to recommend me some GoaT-tier anime? Other shows I include in this tier are stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell, NGE, etc. It doesn't have to be strictly mid-early nineties though, I'm open to whatever, so long as it's good. Preferably something that's not more than a few seasons.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Mushishi, Ping Pong The Animation and Fullmetal Alchemist/Brotherhood are all wonderful pieces of animation.

duckroll

Just buy Sword of the Stranger. It's a movie and it's the best action animated film ever made. No need to invest in long series with inconsistent quality that might take up too much time.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Dragon ball Super
Skullman
Trigun
Space dandy
skullman
Berserk
Code geass
The Skull Man
Attack on Titan...

Mailbox

You whut, mate?

:mad:

Don't get me wrong, I love the first season. I just love to binge shows I like more, so I'm waiting for episode 13 to air and them I'm gonna binge that season in 1 go. If it makes you feel better, I haven't touched Mob Psycho either but plan to :3

The only reason I didn't do that with something like re;zero is because I watched week by week same as my friend so we could text stuff and talk about it and whatnot. Since he's doing a couple of co-op semesters, outside of our weekend workouts we don't get much opportunity to talk much, so us talking added to all the experience. It felt kinda like we were watching together asynchronously, and that felt good :)

As for other shows, I tend to fall behind despite wanting to watch them (amanchu, humping x humping, and Sweetness and Lightning). I'm catching up on Amanchu right now in fact. Basically I'll watch all of Food Wars season 2 in a couple of days.

Revolutionary Girl Utena
Jin-Roh
Sword of the Stranger
G gundam

Madogatari time!
Cs8jE8PVIAAdtzH.jpg

I watched Lain for the first time a couple years ago and while it wasn't the tour de force I thought it would be I still enjoyed it a lot. I admit it can be super hard to follow at times though when it gets all metaphysical and speechy and I can see why some people may not like it.

Mandelbo

Flying Witch 8

I really liked these episodes with the café. Not just relaxing, but pretty cute too. Many new faces and some interesting customers.

The cafe episodes were definitely my favourite too. I remember liking the show as a whole more after watching them.

SOLDIER

There's a rumor going around that there's going to be a Madoka Magica spin-off (Gaiden) in Spring 2017.

At this point I don't know what I would want from a non-canon (or prequel) story, I just know I need it badly.

Sayaka/Homura odd couple spin-off, come ooooooooooon

There's a rumor going around that there's going to be a Madoka Magica spin-off (Gaiden) in Spring 2017.

At this point I don't know what I would want from a non-canon (or prequel) story, I just know I need it badly.

Where are you hearing this?

SOLDIER

Where are you hearing this?

4chan said it's being tweeted by people at the Madogatari exhibit:

>マギアレコード 魔法少女まどかマギカ外伝 >2017年春 配信予定

Jarmel

Banned

How much shit is Shaft working on?

Huh, and this is confirmed to be a spin-off?

SOLDIER

Huh, and this is confirmed to be a spin-off?

It's got "Gaiden" in the title, which typically means spin-off.

The series has had spinoffs in manga form, so they could possibly make an anime from one of them. Though personally I would prefer something new that explored things about the main cast we didn't know about, as most of the manga spinoffs retread the same events through different perspectives/situations.

Qurupeke

The cafe episodes were definitely my favourite too. I remember liking the show as a whole more after watching them.
Good to hear that. I had mixed feelings for the fist half, but I'm already more optimistic about the res of the series.

Not sure if I should be excited or not. I want more Madoka Magica though.

It's got "Gaiden" in the title, which typically means spin-off.

The series has had spinoffs in manga form, so they could possibly make an anime from one of them. Though personally I would prefer something new that explored things about the main cast we didn't know about, as most of the manga spinoffs retread the same events through different perspectives/situations.

If this is true, I hope it's not one of the manga spin-offs that they're adapting. Those things might as well be fanfiction.

To be honest the only Madoka spin-off I could see myself watching and enjoying would be a SoL CGDCT show with the characters.

Like, what other story in that universe can you tell without rehashing the tired "being meguca is suffering" trope? That's worth an anime nonetheless?

I still think that they're going for a sequel to Rebellion based off that concept movie.

Szadek

Hopefully we it's an adapation of The Different Story, at least of Volume 1( after that the story gets kind of messy).
The backstory of Mami and Kyoko from that volume is by far the best part of the manga.

I suppose the Wraith Arc would also be very nice, but I never read it, so I can't tell for sure.

SOLDIER

If this is true, I hope it's not one of the manga spin-offs that they're adapting. Those things might as well be fanfiction.

To be honest the only Madoka spin-off I could see myself watching and enjoying would be a SoL CGDCT show with the characters.

Like, what other story in that universe can you tell without rehashing the tired "being meguca is suffering" trope? That's worth an anime nonetheless?

I still think that they're going for a sequel to Rebellion based off that concept movie.

It's already 100% confirmed that there's going to be a sequel. That's the whole point of the concept movie (which looks to be releasing on BD next week, meaning a direct rip and fansubs).

I really want the sequel to be a series instead of a movie: as the probably last ever Madoka story, I want to make sure all of the characters and themes get final billing. I'd prefer another season that took its time rather than a condensed movie.

This "gaiden" announcement could just be something non-canon that's done for fun. I would love a more lighthearted SOL myself, especially so we could get more unexplored interactions (again, pushing hard for Sayaka/Homura, especially since that leads nicely to
their eventual confrontation in the sequel
).

I saw nothing of the sorts there.
Unless it was the name of the pachinko game

Eila

Not really GOAT but here are some of my favorites:
Record of Lodoss War
Giant Robo the Animation: The Day the Earth Stood Still
Martian Successor Nadesico
Crest of the Stars
Now and Then, Here and There
Vampire Hunter D 2000
Outlaw Star
Trigun

Szadek

Serial Experiment Lain - Ep. 1-2 (Rewatch)
Since I have seen the show a few time, I know that I'm suppose to overthink pretty much everything.
My theory on the girl that killed hersef is
that she represent the people that give up on the real life all together and only life online.

As for episode 2, the drug was always a big question mark for me.
Apparently one of the side effect seems to be that some people can see the wire, which means the Lain they saw wasn't the real one, but her online avatar.
I suppose it means to some people have really hard to get away from the internet, even when they are not at home?

Qurupeke

Grimgar 2-5
f5FrMPl.jpg

I like Yume.
Hmm, I think the show is alright so far. The backgrounds and the soft artwork are simply beautiful, though sometimes I think the characters look out of place on them. I enjoy the low key characters and their slow growth. However, I don't get how they group called themselves "friends" when the girls didn't even talk to the guys for the most part. Also, I found Mary's introduction a bit sudden, I wonder if she'll stick with the party or she's just a side character.
Manato was too good for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom