• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
GBF TRY 1 REWATCH

Just from this one episode I remembered why I liked try so much. The characters are colorful, full of life and the dynamic between them are all so good. I smiled so many times. Sekai is such a cool character too, he really took the good pages from g gundam.

The Build Burning introduction is also soooo good with the mix of the amazing opening and dazzling animation.

Yep GBF TRY is really one of my favourite gundam show.

Jigen Haoh school! Shippu-Zuki!!!!

So good!

Been watching it for the first time this month. It's good. Really good even. It's main problem is that it is not as good as the show that saved anime.

I'm also watching Gundam AGE though so it looks miraculous in comparison to that.

It's so freaking disappointing the way TRY went.

I dropped the show around episode 8, because I heard it just kept getting worse and worse from friends who loved GBF S1. What kept me from really going back was the Tryon fight. I skipped ahead to watch that.

The victory in that "fight" was such contrived nonsense it felt like it should've come out of Fairy Tail.

It really, really hurts for me to hate on TRY like this because it LOVES its G Gundam references, which is my all time favourite Gundam show and has references to it around every corner. But everything else about the show is so bad that I can only feel this sad, pitiful emptiness inside me whenever I see the Build Burning Gundam.

Sunrise really messed this up.

You only watched 8 episodes? eh. Well I remember it remaining pretty consistent. Characters stayed great and battles were all awesome(even tryon 3). Sad you dropped it, since I think it is one of the better Gundam shows.

With what you are saying we could do the same with the og GBF and look at the Reiji vs Aila fight. I mean I would have surely dropped gbf if people showed me that fight. While I agree the Tryon 3 fight finished badly, it really is not something that happened often.

I really don't think Sunrise dropped the ball here and that they pretty much improved on things I disliked from GBF. I'm still salty about all those stupid battles Reiji won with the build knuckle.

Been watching it for the first time this month. It's good. Really good even. It's main problem is that it is not as good as the show that saved anime.

I'm also watching Gundam AGE though so it looks miraculous in comparison to that.

Glad you are enjoying it too, I really think it's a pure fun kind of show. Also what is this show that saved anime?

Also about age, I really enjoyed the age-1 and age-2 arcs and found them pretty good. I only really disliked the later part of age-3.

Also Age mecha designs are ace, loved the gundams! They were like improved versions of the originals.

I really don't think Sunrise dropped the ball here and that they pretty much improved on things I disliked from GBF. I'm still salty about all those stupid battles Reiji won with the build knuckle.

TRY is that but multitudes worse. It wants to provide some kind of 3v3 setup but it never ends up mattering - almost every single fight ends with Sekai using his magic kung fu to do some insane Naruto technique.

Its like if you were playing MUGEN and one character was a regular fighting game character, and the other was a poorly made sprite of Goku who has two punches and a screen filling super that does an instant kill. That's TRY.

TRY is that but multitudes worse. It wants to provide some kind of 3v3 setup but it never ends up mattering - almost every single fight ends with Sekai using his magic kung fu to do some insane Naruto technique.

Its like if you were playing MUGEN and one character was a regular fighting game character, and the other was a poorly made sprite of Goku who has two punches and a screen filling super that does an instant kill. That's TRY.

I don't remember teams not mattering. Fumina, Yuuma and crew all pretty much had all their moments.

Also Sekai's *magic king fu* was his gimmick, his fighting style. It was really a reference to G Gundam and it followed it perfectly to a T. And it never was an instant win, you are exaggerating .

The build knuckle was what I would classify has a bullshit insta-win move.

You only watched 8 episodes? eh. Well I remember it remaining pretty consistent. Characters stayed great and battles were all awesome(even tryon 3). Sad you dropped it, since I think it is one of the better Gundam shows.

With what you are saying we could do the same with the og GBF and look at the Reiji vs Aila fight. I mean I would have surely dropped gbf if people showed me that fight. While I agree the Tryon 3 fight finished badly, it really is not something that happened often.

I have no idea how anybody who had a problem with Reiji using Build Knuckle would think that Sekai is better in any way.

At least before the Build Knuckle was used there was Sei backing Reiji up with his Gunpla knowledge.

That's another thing. The Sei and Reiji hijinks from GBF 1 were good because the two played off and complimented each other perfectly. Sei was the brains, Reiji the brawn, but both we're just equally dorks with Sei being a total Gunpla nut, and Reiji having next to no idea about the modern world.

I got none of that sense of comradery from what I watched of TRY. All I got was Sekai and Yuuma bickering like Natsu and Gray, and Fumina essentially being a third wheel.

You can argue about them getting along later on if they did, but the problem is I shouldn't have had to wait that long, not when GBF never had that problem in the first place because the dynamic was great from the start!

NeonZ

Hopefully it will be better than the last. Other than killing off a beloved character, the last season had little I remember.

The name of the director should answer worries about quality of the next Gintama season. They really shouldn't keep the new one from the last season.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.2
Right back in thr saddle again, but this time there are
Geass users all over the place! His tactics to escape and take the enemy out were on point yet again.
Glad Kallen is back for more fun as well as Shirley

pbayne

Mysterious Girlfriend X 1-6

Its a competent enough adaptation, nothing too great so far but it gets the job done.

Some things do get lost in the translation to anime though. The character designs are fine except for Urabe's who looks they nail sometimes but other she looks far too plain and basically just looks like every other girl in the show. Kind of ruins her mysttique/allure a bit. And the erotic/fanservice scenes they do a good job enhancing some of them but fail spectacularly with others.

Eh its alright though but i really wish the anime staff had the freedom to push the envelope a bit further but so far it just feels like a par version of the source material. I think im in love with/really frustrated by the premise of the series because i believe in the hands of a better writer it could have been pushed further and be something really special.

At least if its only 13 episodes it'll probably avoid the period where the manga gets really stale. Jesus i hope it stops before the idol arc,

I got
Suzaku
on Funimation's Code Geass personality quiz.

FUCK THAT.

Im watching my back. Line liable to heel turn at the slightest sign of weakness.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.3
21_codegeass_ep03p.jpg

The interaction between these two was probably the funniest of them all. The other parts were entertaining as well, but damn, all these twists and turns are giving me a headache now, lol.

sonicmj1

Nah I'm pretty sure someone else made that specific comment about it being a bad fit for that let's watch style.

Mob - 11

Emotionally neither the beginning nor end really hit me at all. Earlier this series actually made me empathize decently with Mob and co. but this time around the moments felt kinda impact-less. Well, might be that I find it hard to care for
Reigen being slain when he's demanding Mob not to resort to violence while all four of them are clearly in deadly peril...
Not even (read: especially) some cliché flashback will nullify that stupidity.

Too bad, because I really liked Reigen otherwise this episode.

Animation and art direction keep delivering of course. Some more glass animation even! Loved the poorly drawn faces for the henchmen, too.

So personally, I really like how the episode ended, but it's not because I think Reigen was necessarily giving good advice.

The end of this episode revisits the same tensions that existed in episode 5. Instead of having to defend himself, Mob is forced to choose between his pledge to Reigen not to fight, and defending people he deeply cares about.

The episode and flashback show that Reigen does care about Mob, despite the ways he's manipulated and taken advantage of him. He knows that Mob is confused and looking for answers, he sees Mob's naivete and vulnerability, and he wants to help. And he's been doing that the only way he knows how: by teaching Mob how to be a good member of society like him.

Reigen doesn't want to solve problems through violence, and in normal society, you should never have to resort to violence. Maturation means learning how to control those impulses and find alternate means of conflict resolution. As an adult, that comes naturally to Reigen.

But, to state the obvious, Mob isn't an adult. He's a kid in middle school, with all the emotional baggage that comes with puberty. The only way he knows to control his emotions is to clamp down on them. And Reigen, for all his supposed mastery, never taught Mob the one thing he originally wanted to learn: how to control himself.

Reigen comes from a good place when he tries to stop Mob from fighting back. He's right that the violence that results is going to hurt Mob in the end. Running away in a situation like that is what adults should do. But they're not in an adult world. And even if they were, Reigen never gave Mob a way to deal with the emotions he's fighting. The fight communicated Mob's feelings really well in that moment, torn between the desperate pleas from the two people in his life he cares most about, stressed, scared, but with no clear right way to help. The only two things he knows are bottling everything up and exploding everywhere, and that's incredibly unhealthy.

The end worked for me emotionally not because I felt bad for Reigen, but because I felt bad for Mob. He's not ready to deal with this, and he shouldn't have to.

I feel like a lot of the reactions to this episode (which was excellent) miss the point a bit if they're just like "Reigen, fuck yeah!" or "Reigen, you're so dumb!" There are elements of both, which is what makes it work as well as it does for me.

duckroll

I don't remember teams not mattering. Fumina, Yuuma and crew all pretty much had all their moments.

Also Sekai's *magic king fu* was his gimmick, his fighting style. It was really a reference to G Gundam and it followed it perfectly to a T. And it never was an instant win, you are exaggerating .

The build knuckle was what I would classify has a bullshit insta-win move.

All I remember from most of Try was the "team" basically powering up Sekai to punch things harder. It's just Build Knuckle by another name. The fights in the majority of Try have zero strategy or interesting tactics, and just amount to shounen fighting power ups during a battle to blast through everything with a super move. It was really boring.

Even with the lameness of Build Knuckle, there were non-Build Strike fights which were really good. The Meijin fights before he sold out and went Exia were the best in the series. Try has nothing like that at all.

All I remember from most of Try was the "team" basically powering up Sekai to punch things harder. It's just Build Knuckle by another name. The fights in the majority of Try have zero strategy or interesting tactics, and just amount to shounen fighting power ups during a battle to blast through everything with a super move. It was really boring.

Even with the lameness of Build Knuckle, there were non-Build Strike fights which were really good. The Meijin fights before he sold out and went Exia were the best in the series. Try has nothing like that at all.
That's not necessarily a bad thing unless you do not like shounen stuff and from what I remember it was never as one sided as you say. From what I remember battles were intense,flashy and had emotions in them which is really what I like about my battle shows. Also having shounen like elements with a characters having a G Gundam suit really fits well I think.

It's been awhile since I watched it too, so just like you I'm going from things I remember so once I will have rewatched it completely I'll be able to have better arguments.

sonicmj1

But selling services you are unqualified to provide is called fraud.

Not if you're a psychic!

To elaborate more seriously, yes, Reigen certainly skirts the boundaries of ethical good taste. But he's smart about it. He lies to enrich himself, but he'd rather provide some service to make people happy than do nothing at all.

Society looks more kindly on people who are smart and manipulative with their words than it does on people who commit violence against others (like, compare Reigen with the yakuza vase salespeople). Learning to navigate the unfairness of that world without losing control of yourself is what the adult world expects. That's the lesson Reigen is trying to teach Mob. But what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other.

Cornbread78

Battery ep.10
It's just not the same when everyone isn't being a complete asshole to each other the entire episode. With that being said, this was pretty good this week. At least Takumi is waking up from his agnsty tsundere attitude a little and people are starting to understand him and approach him in kind.

Gvitor

Cliffhanger Time xx-13

I was going to quote that guy who replied to me saying Linda did everything wrong and say that Koko did everything wrong, and then
Linda rips the fucking picture.
Goddammit.

But Koko still did everything wrong. Stalker, possessive, annoying woman. She has sweet moments and I kind of feel for her when they pushed the lonely girl story, and her (somewhat justified) jealousy, but her personality is so over the edge it feels like 2 different characters in one. And one of these 2 characters is an annoying bitch that gets 80% of her screentime.

I'm way too invested in this shit and only setting myself up for disappointment.

Cornbread78

Cliffhanger Time xx-13

I was going to quote that guy who replied to me saying Linda did everything wrong and say that Koko did everything wrong, and then
Linda rips the fucking picture.
Goddammit.

But Koko still did everything wrong. Stalker, possessive, annoying woman. She has sweet moments and I kind of feel for her when they pushed the lonely girl story, and her (somewhat justified) jealousy, but her personality is so over the edge it feels like 2 different characters in one. And one of these 2 characters is an annoying bitch that gets 80% of her screentime.

I'm way too invested in this shit and only setting myself up for disappointment.

Lol, I can't wait until yoir reaction to the ending. Dis gonna be gud.

Line_HTX

TVアニメ「きんいろモザイク」 ‏@kinmosa_anime 2h2 hours ago

「きんいろモザイク Pretty Days」特報第1弾公開中です♪ https://youtu.be/a--zRJ4GDcw #kinmosa

Kiniro Mosaic Pretty Days PV1.

sonicmj1

So... an OVA playing in theaters?

But why?

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

그것은 음란하다

is it good

But why?

why indeed

But why?

That's extremely common these days. See The Ancient Magus Bride for another recent example. Limited theatrical screenings are pretty profitable, and they'll still be selling discs afterwards. I've seen a lot of talk about how the anime industry is increasingly looking to theatrical releases, whether short half-hour episodes or extended feature-length films, as a fruitful business model.

Branduil

Your Name

kiminonawa01.jpg

This was a pretty good movie. It's easy to see why it's Shinkai's most commercially successful film, as it's much more tonally rounded and mainstream than his previous works. In fact, it barely feels like a Shinkai film at first, outside of the backgrounds. It kind of feels more Nagai-ish... the Masayoshi Tanaka character designs probably play a role there. It also has much better animation than any previous Shinkai movies. It does become very :Shinkai in the ending, though.
The ending almost feels like an apology to the people mad about how 5cm Per Second ended, LOL.

Your Name

This was a pretty good movie. It's easy to see why it's Shinkai's most commercially successful film, as it's much more tonally rounded and mainstream than his previous works. In fact, it barely feels like a Shinkai film at first, outside of the backgrounds. It kind of feels more Nagai-ish... the Masayoshi Tanaka character designs probably play a role there. It also has much better animation than any previous Shinkai movies. It does become very :Shinkai in the ending, though.
The ending almost feels like an apology to the people mad about how 5cm Per Second ended, LOL.

Since you bring up Nagai, have you seen Anthem of the Heart?

And yeah, the list of animators who worked on Your Name is insane. Masashi Ando called in all his top-notch animator connections.

Branduil

Since you bring up Nagai, have you seen Anthem of the Heart?

And yeah, the list of animators who worked on Your Name is insane. Masashi Ando called in all his top-notch animator connections.

No, not yet. I should probably watch that.

Yeah, there's one scene in particular which is a solid minute or 2 of amazing sakuga. I should find out who did that scene.

Your Name is actually good? From the way we talked about it being number 1 on MAL a few days ago I thought it was just another massively hyped drama.

Well, it's no Koe no Katachi. But it's solidly entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom