• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.6
cgr2-episode6screenshot.jpg
Oh damn Nunully!!!!!! Lots of mecha action in this episode, probably the most in any single episode. Kellen's new mecha is pretty badass as well! Poor Lelouch though.... frozen again in front of imouto, lol

Crunchyrolls streams Digimon Tri chapter 3 tomorrow!!!!!

HYPE!!!!

Give me that Herculeskabuterimon!!!!

Oh crap I just saw its 10 am PST noooooooooo!

Life why must you be in the way of my Digimon :(

Line_HTX

Code Geass R2 ep.5

Oh Suzuku, nice play at the end... I wonder if Lelouch can hold back and play it off.... That stings... I wonder who they are goi g to ship with Lelouch by the end of this thing... Shirley, C.C, or Kallen.. Wait, don't tell me they go the Oriemo route....?!?

When you're done, you should watch some of the special omake episodes.

:lol

Gvitor

Golden Time xx-24 / END (Full series impressions)

What the hell was that drug trip in the bridge? I thought about what it could represent to say here, but in the end I just can't, nothing makes sense. Ghost Banri didn't get over Linda, Linda didn't get over Ghost Banri or Banri, despite saying she approved of him and Koko. And worse, they played it off as a drug trip that made me confused as fuck. How did Linda get in the bridge? How did he get the ring back?

But oh well, I've know for a while that my ship was sunk and that I was fighting for a lost cause. Koko is in the promotional poster, she is the only character aside from Banri that is in both OPs, and she has the most screentime, by a long shot. I said when I watched the first episodes that this felt like waifu wars, and I was wrong. There wasn't really a war, Koko had this on the bag from the beginning. This felt like a better written Nisekoi where the only characters were Raku, Chitoge and Onodera, and they kept toying with both possibilites, when you clearly know that this is Chitoge's story. This was Koko's story.

I can't help but hate that because of it, we didn't get closure in some subplots. Yana x Chinami could've gone somewhere, but in the end you have him still looking at Linda and her blushing to him for the first time for some reason. 2D-kun also got the shortstick. I've been in his shoes, the third/fifth wheel in a group of friends, and it ain't nice. He deserved a better ending.

The amnesia plot got a little too edgy to me near the end. It borders (if not enters entirely) into split personality territory, and the same goes for Koko. I wanted to like her (despite being on Team Linda), but to every good and sweet scene she had, she had one like stepping on Chinami, or slapping Banri in public. She changes from water to wine in a way that is convenient to anime characters in a nonchalantly world, but not in one that is trying to convey serious relationships. I'd be done with her in several of those instances.

Despite all of that (which is mostly about the final episodes), I really enjoyed it (if my binge watching didn't make it clear). I was expecting Tada Banri to be your generic anime character who hogs all the waifus and I was very surprised to see that's not the case. And despite not getting the closure I wanted for the side characters, I enjoyed all of them. They're all great friends, and Oka in particular is fantastic. She's funny and cutesy, but speaks her mind with conviction. Unfortunately she didn't do that with Yana, but every other scene with her is great. The episodes about friendship were just as great as the one about romance (when Koko wasn't being a bitch).

Now, some random thoughts:

-University in Japan is... weird. Highschool already has far too many clubs about random stuff (even if 1% about what anime and games depict are to be believed), but I can buy into that. I can't seriously buy that a law student would bother with festivals, or filmmaking or fucking tea (even if that definitely isn't tea). I'm from an entirely different culture and country, but the farthest you can get from your major here is in sports, and even that is background. There's no training or coaching, just the games themselves.

-Kaga Koko's name in portuguese is pronounced like "poops poop".

-OP2 is garbage.

whensmylindaspinoff

Cornbread78

Ladies vs. Butlers ep.2
mqdefault.jpg

The dangerous teachers are always the best characters in these shows, lol. This is a lot ecchier than I thought it woukd be, but it was pretty damn funny and entertaining at the same time!

Cornbread78

Golden Time xx-24 / END (Full series impressions)

Yeah, the whole ring thing was confusing since they treated
ghost Bunri the right way the entire time, by using it as a visualization of his lost memories
and nothing more. Oh well, it was a little off, but it provided good closure.

How did you like the series overall.

Gvitor

How did you like the series overall.

I really enjoyed it. I took what I could from my sunken ship (every flashback scene was great, and some scenes in the present as well, like the one before Chinami stormed in). The show was also really funny and it had some great friendship focused episodes, which I always appreciate.

Now I need to search for a romance anime where best girl actually wins, those are hard to come by.

Mawaru Pengruindrum - 15

Michelangelo said:
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.

So Momoka's diary is basically what you'd get
if you mixed Kyubey with a Death Note.

That was some interesting symbolism of Yuri's abusive dad's tower being in the shape Michelangelo's David. The scenes where it was implied he was beating her with the chisel were especially haunting. The way he talked in front of her was infuriating. He spoke of her like she was nothing more than a piece of his art for him to "chip away until only beauty remainsl", much like the block of marble before the angel was carved out of it.

Cornbread78

I really enjoyed it. I took what I could from my sunken ship (every flashback scene was great, and some scenes in the present as well, like the one before Chinami stormed in). The show was also really funny and it had some great friendship focused episodes, which I always appreciate.

Now I need to search for a romance anime where best girl actually wins, those are hard to come by.

Link me to your MAL and I'll see of I can find one you haven't seen yet.

Also, 2D-kun was the best character, lol

JulianImp

Future despair 11
More brainwashing videos? Seriously?!

There're few plot devices as dumb and convenient as brainwashing devices, which is exactly why I hated them in the Despair side and am hating them even more in Future. They're the laziest possible way to answer how Junko won everyone over to her side, and that sucks... we had already seen that almost everyone in the 77th class had some profound issues that Enoshima could've preyed upon with her skills in order to win them over to the side of despair, but I guess the limited number of episodes forced the writers to try and find a way to turn them all at once, and the answer was the diavolus ex machina brainwashing video of stupid.

Sorry... I thought I had gotten over it, but having the other side of the show also use that stupid device seriously ticks me off.

Past Despair 11
The show has already jumped the shark by now, so this is pretty par for the course. More stupid brainwashing, more people acting stupid even without getting brainwashed... whatever.

Seriously, this has been a spectacular trainwreck of a show, one that doesn't only suck by itself, but has also made the overall canon suck even more by virtue of being triggered not by a mastermind, but just by the people in power acting stupid while Junko got her hands on a means to brainwash people into doing whatever she wanted. Brainwashing people into becoming an extension of Junko's will isn't a mastermind-style move, but rather what your typical old saturday morning cartoon villain would do, and kind of goes against the well thought-out plans seen throughout the main games (DR1 and 2).

-10/10, would enlist on the New World Program to supplant my memories of having watched it for Cross Ange.

I wonder what kind of ratings both DR3 shows will get on MAL when everything is said and done

EDIT: Both sides have an 8.13 with Despair being ahead in popularity. Fucking lol.

blurr

Funny how the actual point of the entire despair arc was to show how Junko turned them into agents of despair. So much build up for a device...

Most of the things shown were something we already know through DR2. It did have moments with Chiaki and Hinata but beyond that... ugh

Thoraxes

I've been wondering about this for a while. How can you tell what the encoding is like?

Either rip the files or run some software analysis programs. Basically you can tell what the image quality is like just from your eyes (banding, visual artifacts, block/macroing, color levels, black levels), but bitrates and color levels (to an extent) can all be analyzed with software.

Usually I rip my BDs to my PC then run them through the software. In the below image, the huge dip is the credits to an episode, where the screen is black (basically no video is running so the bitrate is low at that single point).

thissssdyaug.png

This is Sentai we're talking about. Even if their video quality has improved in the last few years, I can't imagine we'll be seeing that big of a jump.
At that price, surely something has to be different, right?

..... right?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
eva rewatch
01-whatever
02-excellent
03-fine i guess
04-shinji runs away from the show's dumb goofballs to make the show good again
05-get rei away from me
06-no...really...take her even further away than this mountain. cool angel though. also it's like poetry, it repeats itself, etc.
07-misato character piece combined with a one off combined with background on the history of the world. hyper efficient.

Squishy3

Ace Attorney 6 Beginning of Case 4

Ah, yes, a case about a great American pastime and a great American cuisine.

Rakugo and Soba.
I was super excited for this case the whole way through.

I even recognized the one story that gets mentioned! This made the wait for Rakugo season 2 a little easier.

Quasar

You did just watch one :)

Line_HTX

Either rip the files or run some software analysis programs. Basically you can tell what the image quality is like just from your eyes (banding, visual artifacts, block/macroing, color levels, black levels), but bitrates and color levels (to an extent) can all be analyzed with software.

Usually I rip my BDs to my PC then run them through the software. In the below image, the huge dip is the credits to an episode, where the screen is black (basically no video is running so the bitrate is low at that single point).

thissssdyaug.png

Ahhh, OK. I thought that there would be some visual way to tell what bit rate it was besides coloring and blocking. Do you do this analysis to see which BD was a bad purchase?

Mob Psycho 100 11

I liked this a lot more than episode 10. That felt a bit perfunctory with all of the compressed fights, while 11 brings it back to the individual characters. Mob's reconciliation with Ritsu was touching, and Reigen stole the show by waltzing in cluelessly confident as always. The last part of the episode, everything from the roof of the complex blowing off, was fantastic work. Lots of crazy camera work and dynamic animation provide a sparkling backdrop to Mob's conflict between Reigen's pacifist philosophy and Hanazawa's call to fight. And then the title card drop, the flashback, the final shot - pitch-perfect direction. I'm really looking forward to seeing how the denouement plays out next episode.

What really blew my mind, though, was finding out that this episode was directed by the assistant director of Glasslip.

Eumi

Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night I can feel Danganronpa 1... and 2... even Zero. The games I've lost... the character motivations I've lost... won't stop hurting... it's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you?

Dramatic quoting aside, this was almost a good episode. Little touches like Junko knowing Makoto is an issue prior to DR1 are nice to see, and the destruction of Hopes Peak was pretty alright.

Except for that one small issue of not addressing the fact that it makes absolutely no sense that Junkos plan could destroy the world in any sense whatsoever despite it being the most important event in Danganronpa history.

Also yep, DR2's cast is ruined. No saving that now.

Why were the dr1 cast wearing their old uniforms?

Thoraxes

Ahhh, OK. I thought that there would be some visual way to tell what bit rate it was besides coloring and blocking. Do you do this analysis to see which BD was a bad purchase?

Eh, I wouldn't quantify it as a good or bad purchase, rather just an indicator of what kind of quality a company is pushing for their dollars. Most of Sentai and Funimation's stuff is mid-low 20k mpbs. There are compromises in color and blocking that you can see that are a direct result of those bitrates. Most of the Gundam blurays are mid-high 20k mpbs, but keep in mind that's for a 4:3 product (RS/Nozomi's price point/quality ratio is really good with the Gundam sets). If I purchase something, it's usually because I want it. But for the expensive stuff i'm much more critical of bitrates and image quality, so I guess in that sense, yeah it's how I would check if it was a bad purchase.

If you ever get a chance to watch someone's Bakemonogatari blurays, you'd be shocked at how crisp the image quality is (most of those push ~40k mbps). I don't know if you wear glasses or have had the experience of getting a new eye prescription, but (to me) the feeling is like when you get a new pair of glasses after two years of your eyes getting worse. It's not that you couldn't see fine details before, but with the new glasses you realize just how much clarity you were missing all along.

With the coloring and blocking, those are typically directly related to the bitrate itself.

If I notice if it was a problem, i'll usually go out of my way to warn people about it.

phaze

Arakawa Under the Bridge 08-09

Every new character introduced has much to convey and impressive personality built into them. I can't really think of anyone who hasn't made me laugh so far.

08 introduced Ichinomiya's secretary who had dedicated his entire life in his sevice - in a hilarious spin, his obsession towards Ko reached a height where he had hoped to be in a relationship with him which he later specified to be a father-son relation. As devasted as he was when he found out he was dating Nino, his attempt at separating it backfired hilariously both for him and Hoshi as Nino and Ko finally kiss in front of them.

Speaking of Hoshi - I still hum to that silly little song: Hiimo hiimo hiimo hiimooo - HOW IS THIS SO CATCHY

I just watched 09 and I swear I was just kidding when I compared Stella with Biscuit Krueger. This episode was so funny, it is late in the night, everyone's sleeping and I shouldn't be laughing so hard I had to restrain myself at times.

Tha Best.

Momokuri 17-24

despite liking the initial premise of this show, it gets more and more stale since it puts all its eggs in the "obsessive stalker-like non-yandere girlfriend" idea and never tries to branch out its appeal. And that appeal fades, and hard too. That's not to say I hate watching it now, its perfectly watchable, its just that it feels like a slight slope of decline in enjoyment as you watch more of the show.

:/

Shame to hear this doesn't change. I've ground to a halt after the surprisingly decent beginning, there's just .. not much to it so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom