• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai da gawd
https://mobile.twitter.com/WTK/status/779036788434141185
Cs-xZGmUEAQc5lx.jpg

Comes out in January
http://www.rightstufanime.com/Infinite-Stratos-2-Premium-Edition-Blu-ray-Box-Set

Cornbread78

Art Room Problem- END
Very cute episode, but you couldn't help feel bad for Mizaki and her unrequitted love. Uki only likes his 2D waifus, lol. Overall the show was well animated, the coloring was nice, good music and was fun to watch most of the time. Well, when Cokette and Chuuni girl weren't around, lol.

Why they gotta go and skip DR Zero its 20x better then Despair arc fuck this. Both of the prequel things don't even acknowledge the other one exists, rofl

How they did an entire episode on the Twilight Syndrome Murder and Ultra Despair Girls but completely ignore Zero is beyond me. You can skip Despair arc and read Zero instead.

Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc 11
Did Kodaka replay MGS2 before writing this episode?

Look Kodaka I like MGS2 a lot as well but you will never outhack Kojima. It's impossible.

Clov

That's the smallest amount of titles I've ever seen Sentai release in a month. I wonder if they'll be releasing less from January onward?

Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc - 11
Dissemination through memes. We are done here... or not because "it is to be continued on the future side".
91 Days has 13 episodes.

You can't do that shit by accident, 91 is divisible by 13
13 weeks = 91 days. The last episode told us it had been around
3 months
since they met Avilio, which means
90ish days
have passed. Makes sense that the last 2 episodes will be the finale.

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Despair - 11

... it was nothing. A whole bunch of nothing. Was this part really necessary? Some subjects shouldn't be touched or retconned.
Junko? Change her title to Ultimate Good Luck. And Izuru? He just did Goodbye Despair just to see if hope was harder to predict than despair. Great. And of course, the brainwash thing. Yeah, nope.

I can't say I didn't enjoy it. It had its moments and some good episodes. But overall, I'm just disappointed, underwhelmed. I'm definitely feeling despair.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Why they gotta go and skip DR Zero its 20x better then Despair arc fuck this. Both of the prequel things don't even acknowledge the other one exists, rofl

How they did an entire episode on the Twilight Syndrome Murder and Ultra Despair Girls but completely ignore Zero is beyond me. You can skip Despair arc and read Zero instead.

Look Kodaka I like MGS2 a lot as well but you will never outhack Kojima. It's impossible.

but the memes jack.

Should I play Danganronpa 2 and just stop? The reactions here remind me of how I wished I'd stopped playing the Metal Gear games after 3...

Should I play Danganronpa 2 and just stop? The reactions here remind me of how I wished I'd stopped playing the Metal Gear games after 3...

Thats your prerogative. I dont think Despair really adds anything, but its tied to the hip to Future which is okay... maybe the last episode of Future and Hope will be extremely important or something. Right now I feel like you could skip em both and just fill in the blanks yourself then play V3.

you can certainly make the argument that Despair retroactively makes DR2 worse...and it does, really. It adds nothing while watering down good things.

pbayne

Kimi ni Todoke(live action)

First big bang of cheap TV movie off of this. Something you’d be happy to watch on a tv re-run, but god I imagine you’d feel duped if you actually went to see this in the cinema. It just doesn’t feel or look like a film, it feels like 6 episodes of a tv drama glued together to make up a 2 hour runtime.

Anyways best part is the girl playing Sadako does a tremendous making the character feel real and tangible, a great feat considering it is a pretty outlandishly weird character, I thought she was excellent. The girls playing Ayase and Chizuru were very good too, translated that weird over the top genki/yankee girl attitude pretty well, fuck I thought it’d be awful but they made it work.

Overall very rushed here and there but a nice enough flick only for fans of the series really.

Usagi Drop(live-action)

A quality motion picture.

I love Daikichi’s portrayal in this. He’s why more frantic with his “what do I do, what do I do, what I do”, makes him seem way more over his head so I wanted to root for him more. His actor can turn on the switch though, like when Rin asks him will he die, fuck the joy of the world drains from his face or when he gets angry at the social service lady I legit thought he would deck her at one point. His scenes with Rin are ultra cute too.

There’s one scene in particular that had me on the verge of tears. Its when Daikichi and his dad just sit down to talk about adoption and his dad turns to him and says “son, I’m so proud of everything you’re doing” that really got to me.

There is one bizzaro inclusion they made that’s so weird it’s hilarious. Daikichi has this extended dream sequence where he dances with a fashion model in a magazine-yep that happens.

Overall I think i actually liked it more than the anime.

Mailbox

Momokuri 17-24

despite liking the initial premise of this show, it gets more and more stale since it puts all its eggs in the "obsessive stalker-like non-yandere girlfriend" idea and never tries to branch out its appeal. And that appeal fades, and hard too. That's not to say I hate watching it now, its perfectly watchable, its just that it feels like a slight slope of decline in enjoyment as you watch more of the show.

:/

Amanchu! 8-11

This show is pretty much what I wish a lot of SoL shows were like: Great lineart/ art style, Likable characters, slight hook or piece of individuality to set it appart, and good character and area design and art. The problem is that Amanchu! kinda goes in ham fisted about what Teko is going through rather than focusing on much of what the first couple of episodes laid down. Most of the later episodes have pretty much nothing to do with diving or the diving club, which kinda sucks because seeing Teko struggle and grow through the club and club activities were good points of the earlier episodes.

Unfortunately, the show does a LOT I like (specifically the line art is gorgeous a lot of the time) but the show itself ends up being boring.

Actually sounds good.
Really wish there was an english dub. :(

fuck.

Jarmel

Banned
So I decided to read the manga for Knight's and Magic. It's an utterly generic and mundane work. Everything about this feels like I've read this before. The magic system is similar to ReZero with the whole drawing mana from the atmosphere. The magical circuit stuff is obviously from Fate/Stay Night. The isekai elements can be found in dozens of other anime. God knows how many times I've seen the feudal magic setting. However it's not just that though, the characters are atrociously dull. The main character is obviously a Gary Stu and has no discernible character flaws besides being a mecha otaku. The side characters essentially serve a primary purpose of sucking his dick. Half their dialogue when talking with the main character seems to be only showering him with praise. Not only that but at least up through the first volume, the main character doesn't even pilot a robot as he has to build one himself.

It made me appreciate how much more interesting Youjo Senki is as a work despite being extremely similar in setup. The main character there is legit crazy. The setting isn't just the typical fantasy garbage. The magic system runs off drugs. It's just a notably more intriguing work.

I decided to read the first volume of the light novel to make sure I was giving the work a fair shake and I near wanted to kill myself at the end of the book. For fuck's sake if you're doing an isekai concept, please don't put the characters in god damn school.

Clov

Why is Sentai doing a premium edition for Infinite Stratos 2 of all things? I can only assume the Japanese licensor was willing to sell for a bargain basement price.

I heard a while back that the original Infinite Stratos actually did quite well for them, though I haven't verified that at all. Another possibility is that with Sentai's pool of titles steadily shrinking thanks to Crunchyroll getting into the physical release business, they may be opting for less releases but more premium titles.

Even if it's trash, it's at least trash made specifically for me.

I can't hate an anime with a MC that has such a beautiful, burning passion for giant robots!

He may be a Gary Stu but he's MY GARY STU!

I don't know if this is an issue with the translation or the source material but I have read teenage Young Adult fiction novels with better dialogue and overall writing. There's no catch to this.

I don't expect the original Japanese work has particularly interesting writing, but if you're reading an unofficial translation of an LN the most you can hope for is somewhat comprehensible English.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.5
Oh Suzuku, nice play at the end... I wonder if Lelouch can hold back and play it off.... That stings... I wonder who they are goi g to ship with Lelouch by the end of this thing... Shirley, C.C, or Kallen.. Wait, don't tell me they go the Oriemo route....?!?

I see. How do they compare to the TV series?

Let me quote an earlier post:

There are 2 continuities:

Patlabor OVA 1 -> Patlabor Movie 1 -> Patlabor Movie 2

Patlabor TV -> Patlabor OVA 2 (Patlabor: The New Files)

You can watch either one; both the first OVA series and the TV series start off with introductions to the characters. The OVA 1/movie timeline is personally directed by Mamoru Oshii and shows his heavy influence, especially in the second movie which is totally occupied with his love for moody atmosphere and political/philosophical themes. The TV timeline is more straightforward in nature, featuring a greater character focus and an ongoing storyline about a mysterious enemy robot model. They're both worth watching.

Tuck

Re:Zero - 1-6
Wow this is really good! I had held off on it cause I thought it was gonna be some lousy fan-serviced harem. Liking the concept and plot twists so far.

Characters are all really likeable, especially the MC. Solid animation though many instances of them hiding the mouth of characters speaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom