• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
91 Days 11

Holy fucking shit. What a god damn climax. The whole opera scene was fantastic. Everything leading up to it was worth it. It felt like all of my western mafia anime. It was worth it. I thought it'd be impossible to outdo Thunderbolt Fantasy today, but shit this episode did it. Now 91 Days is once again inching closer to Mob Psycho 100 for top spot of the year for me.

God damn. 10/10. Shyamalamadingdong was here.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 050

f9CxjyM.jpg
vHrZsXU.jpg
2kiqjBT.jpg
PG17Amm.jpg

What the shit, Yang?

pbayne

Kaleido Star End

A harrowing look at trying to achieve your dream in the cut-throat world of the performance/showbiz industry. An industry where the slightest mistake can mean the difference between life or death. Where having natural talent or working the hardest can get you far. But it can’t get you to the top. The places reserved for top stars belong to those with the biggest egos and the ruthlessness to kick down any contenders to their station. That’s what it means to be a Kaleido Star.
…Er this is labelled as a slice of life/shoujo. Ok.

It takes a little time to really rev up but when the show hits high gear and the plot starts moving its an enthralling experience. The performances are breath-takinly gorgeous, even when they lack animation the production is just so vibrant and full of energy that it more than makes up for it. And the performances that are fully animated are suitably spectacular. I also enjoyed the meta-narrative woven throughout the different performances and how they reflected Sora’s emotional state at a given time.

The show is split in two halves which both build perfectly towards an emotional peak. Junichi Satou is the master of illicting maximum emotion from seeminly minimal effort, so your investment in characters and pay-offs of arcs is slowly built to a crescendo, honestly its perfection writing and masterful direction.
Plus Johnathan+Marion=so cute 10/10.

Overall: A very high 9/10 and possibly one of the best tv anime ive watched. Also cements Satou as a true top-tier director in my eyes.

Now watch me nail this landing...
LVXfr4M.gif

sasuke_91

Orange 12 I think these last few episodes show really well how emotionally unstable Kakeru is. I'm enjoying this show, can't wait for the last episode.
A little too much drama (especially in this episode
with his mother's saved message on the phone
) but the whole premise of the show makes it a lot more believable to me than other drama animes.

Fall watchlist:

Brave Witches
3-gatsu no Lion
Bloodivores
Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin
Drifters
Fune wo Amu
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Lostorage incited WIXOSS
Long Riders!
Okada Gundam S2
Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON
Occultic;Nine
Show By Rock S2
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Stella no Mahou
WWW.WORKING!!
Yuri on Ice
ViVid Strike!

As a bonus these are the games I'll be playing:
Titanfall 2
Battlefield 1
Fate/Extella
Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy XV
Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization
BlazBlue Central Fiction
Pokemon Moon

Huh a life...what's that?

Was waiting to get home from college to sit down and jot down what I am planning on watching:

For sure:
- 3-gatsu no Lion
- Fune wo Amu
- Haikyuu S3
- Euphonium S2
- Gundam IBO S2
- Occultic;Nine

Will wait on impressions:
- Classicaloid
- Monster Hunter Stories
- Shuumatsu no Izetta
- Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari
- WWW.WORKING!!
- Pokemon Sun & Moon

Gaming wise I have Trails of Cold Steel 2 to beat, as well as SMTIV Apocalypse. Then in November Pokemon Moon and FFXV. Oh and I guess I have college to worry about too.

I should uh... be fine.

Chase17

91 Days 11
Good episode. I'd say the whole show relies on the Angelo Nero relationship so there is a lot riding on their final confrontation. Not sure about how they are handling it now, but we will see.

my man must have booked it out of that opera house.

Andrew J.

Alderamin 02

Here we go, I love this tactical mindgame shit. Hope we get some steady escalation until Ikta's doing Lelouch stuff in the climax.

Chamille ought to just come out and tell the other characters she's planning to make them her core military advisers when she launches a coup against her father. We all know that's how it'll go down.

Taruranto

Fundashi - End
Japan: The only place where you can write a fundashi show and have him act homophobic.

Overall kinda meh, I guess. The best part of the show was the fujoshi, which says a lot given the title.

e_i

New Game! episode 12

That ending was hilarious. And it's the return of the nurse! I guess she couldn't cut it as a nurse, so she got a new profession.

That's not the issue I have with the show, the first bunch of episodes were fine, I enjoyed Takumi character because he was a different take from the usual shounen MC/LN MC, but the show ultimately failed to do anything with his character and Gou. This episode they had what, 10 lines? Seiha went nowhere, the coach character went nowhere, the grandpa went nowhere, Takumi's mom went nowhere, Gou's mom went nowhere. It's a characters focused story where half of the cast faded into nothing. Yes, Takumi and Gou's moms weren't meant to be important characters, but there were certain dynamics that the show was clearly trying to explore that simply... faded into nothing?

The new dudes hijacked the plot, that's fine, they brought a different dynamic, but even their drama wasn't particular well told and lacked of any resolution. The scenes flow was bad, there has been like, what, two time-skips and it barely felt like minutes passed or the characters changed.

Yes, there is certainly a group of people that couldn't get past the characters were flawed in real ways instead of stupid anime flaws (KEYaids stuff is way worse, drama-wise, but people get past it because the characters are cute or give them a boner), but there are also people that have legitimate problems with the development (or lack of thereof) of Battery characters. I wanted to like Battery, but the show just failed me in every possible way.

Seriously.
Yeah, the lack of resolution to a lot of what they were building towards is certainly an issue. I don't know how exactly they adapted this from the novels, but it wasn't a clean ending and I'm not talking about the fade away as he pitches.

Time Travel Shoujo 12 (End)

And so ends Japanese Magic School Bus. Ok, I guess. I don't even know why I watched this to completion. Best parts were 18th and 19th century folk being shocked at how slutty modern anime girls dress.

Gvitor

Digimon Adventure Tri 09-13

Stuff to like, stuff to hate. I've been liking Adv 3 more than most, but I gotta say this was the worst of the 3 movies, despite having some of the best parts.

I get that complaining about the treatment they're giving to evolutions is old by now, but I have to, because this time around, it wasn't just bad, it was atrocious. They first spotlight Agumon/Gomamon pair going up 1 stage with Brave Heart playing. In the meantime, the other digidestined got around the brawl and just kept popping up in evolved forms. Brave Heart is botched midway through and we never hear it again. And that's only the start.

The most common complaint, "why aren't they going to the last form" is way worse here. No one in the main fight does go the crest evolution stage (ultimate?) aside from Greymon. Well, Tailmon does, but she doesn't count.
Then tentomon appears, goes into Kabuterimon, gets destroyed, back to Tentomon, gives a speech, and then it goes from Kabuterimon to Atluskabuterimon, but it was a Tentomon 1 second before. What? Why didn't he evolve before getting kicked in the butt to then do the Mega Evolution? Also, what a shitty evolution. No highlights, botched animation, no Brave Heart. It had that great scene where it dragged everyone back into the distortion world, but it doesn't make up for it. The Megas from the digidestined that aren't Taichi or Yamato are the highlights in this series, and having to only deal with one in a longer movie, they still managed to fuck it up. I don't even remember its name.

And Gabumon never mega evolved, they never tried Omnimon, Metal Greymon was suddenly Wargreymon for some reason despite never becoming Agumon after. Shit was just half-assed all around, which really sucks because this had a longer run (5 episodes x 4 from the past movies), and it didn't have the "filler" episode, like the school festival, or the one with the baths. (and those were actually good). The reason was that despite not having a filler episode, they filled the story-focused episodes itselves with stupid crap. Bunch of technology jargon and stupid quantum sea talk that makes no sense. The organization trying to stop this global threat (yeah, global) has 2 people representing it (and one apparently is evil or some shit) and a dozen goons that are keeping an eye on the digidestined. Hell, all of the technobabble was handled to Koshiro. If they're all incompetent anyway, why bother with it? Just tell me they're infected and that it's Meicoomon's fault and that the only solution is rebooting and I'd be fine with it, no need to explain everything at lenght and fail at explaining anything at all in the process.

Speaking of the reboot, I feel like that's a nice idea that was poorly executed. If it were up to me, I'd leave it as a series ending. Yeah, it's bittersweet, but I feel like it would actually matter more. You just know that with 3 movies left, that these digimon will remember the gang at some point. Probably in episode 14, lol.

Anyway, the points I liked are the reboot idea and Tentomon's final evolution (I still don't remember its name) carrying everyone to the distortion world, like I said before, and that they went to the digimon world again. I hoped for a little more art style changes there, but I guess that just rethreading some old favorite places will do. I hope they spend at least the entirety of the next movie there.

And they really must hate the 02 crew. After seeing (fake, unfortunately) Ken, they went up to his house, but didn't look for Davis and the rest at all. I think they might've done so in the first 2 movies at some point, but even still, they should've done it again now, or at least bring it up in conversation.

Wanderer5

Looking at the fall anime list again, I think I might get interested in ClassicaLoid. Looks really really weird.XD

Sangatsu no Lion looks to be a nice slice of life too.

Fairy Tail (2014) - 14

CtF-GURWAAA8q2F.jpg:large
CtF-IekXgAASXLa.jpg:large

I can't stop laughing at this.

I'm beginning to understand why MetroidPrimeRib constantly recommends the One Piece manga over the anime. What a difference one panel of a manga can have from its anime counterpart.

Also man, the massive amounts of salt that came from the manga readers during these events when the chapters came out was amazing. People were furious.

Even back then I couldn't deny how hilariously bullshit this was.

Narag

Macross Δ 23

Time to catch up. IRC was talking about how there was a macrossworld rumor that the show was initially planned as 1 cour + movie and Kawamori jumped to his next project, letting others take over. I couldn't say one or another as I hadn't read up on anything past that but that would explain why the show ground to a halt after episode 13. I still expect some sort of movie continuation but 14-23 has felt like connective material that fleshes out the world via awkward infodumps without meaningfullyy progressing forward.

sonicmj1

Kara no Kyoukai 5: Paradox Spiral Rewatch

I just want to say up front that this movie is still super duper cool. I still highly recommend it. I bought the storyboard for a reason. All the non-linear storytelling and match cuts get me going, and they're more than just showing off. There's a sense of purpose that ties everything together. Going back a second time, I was surprised at how many yin-yang motifs are subtly introduced in the background. All of that stuff holds up really well. It'd be lots of fun to screencap some of the creative montage at work.

But since I wasn't busy this time keeping track of what the hell was going on, it left me more time to actually think about the dialogue, and holy shit it's still so bad. I cannot emphasize enough how bad it is. Simply put, Nasu cannot write two people talking. This is not unique to this particular film, but a problem that plagues everything he has ever created.

I have long struggled with trying to figure out why Nasu's dialogue bothered me so much. I am not some kind of creative writing expert, and it always felt like it escaped me. But I think I'm starting to develop some kind of theory, which is that the words that the characters say aren't motivated by the words that come before them in a way that resembles human speech. Characters launch wildly between moods, dump exposition on people who don't need it, or just jump directly into whatever it is Nasu wants them to say whether or not it has any relationship to what is going on or what people have been talking about.

Sometimes a character says things that seem to have no connection to what is motivating them in that moment.

Enjou asks Shiki to take him in, and she agrees to do it.
Tomoe: I... killed someone.
Shiki: You don't look like you did.
Tomoe: It's true! I killed someone just now! I used a kitchen knife and stabbed her stomach until it was a pile of goo!

Sometimes Nasu really wants to get some exposition in.

Aozaki is talking to Cornelius, a fellow magus and former classmate, about magic as she tries to tease out what he's up to.
Aozaki:... The spiral of origin. To reach what is called the Akashic Records, the source of every phenomenon, the cause of every event, the truth. According to one theory, it contains the past, the present, and the future of everything in this world.
Cornelius: I'm not interested in something like that. It's nonsense to pursue something if you don't even know if it exists. It's not even funny. Even if it does exist, who in this world can reach it?
Aozaki: There are ones who have reached it. That's why we know what it is. But the ones who went over there haven't returned. All the past magi who have reached it disappeared. Either way, it's an endless goal. A group that will never be recompensed... Those are people the world call magi.

Sometimes... I don't know what's going on.

Aozaki and Araya are about to fight.
Araya: My reason is long forgotten. Anything that stands in my way shall be regarded as the counter force.
Aozaki: Heh, so the only option is to fight.
A pause. Araya begins to walk towards Aozaki
Aozaki: Araya, what do you seek?
Araya: True wisdom.
Aozaki: Araya, where do you seek it?
Araya: Only within myself.
Aozaki: Go! The fight starts

I could blame the non-linear storytelling if I were lazy (and it certainly doesn't help when the film wants to cross-cut between two different conversations being held by the same character at different points in time), but that's really not the issue. The issue is that I keep running into moments where a character says something and I just wonder, “Why are you saying this now? What could possibly be motivating you to speak these words?”

That Hirao could make this film work as well as it does despite adapting such a trash fire speaks to his talents, and I still hope that one day he'll be able to apply them to a decent screenplay.

Narag

Macross Δ 24

So the big assault on Windermere that was their last option ended up with:
  • Mikumo captured and mind controllerd
  • Makina shot
  • Freya slowly dying
  • Everyone retreating
yet it feels so inconsequential because there's no assurance of conclusion.

Mailbox

Momokuri 25-26[end]

in the end, it was only okay. Got more boring as you keep watching :/ Can't exactly recommend, but its not like it felt like a waste of time, i guess.

Narag

Macross Δ 25

Christ, either there's going to be an awful ending or it's going to be amazing fanwank. I can't believe the megaroad-01 mention and DYRL playing during the freyja/hayate scene.

Szadek

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Ep. 12
Stop this madman, he has a stick!
Fantastic episode and it looks like the next one is going to be even better.

Kuromukuro episode 25 subs are out.

Damn, PA choose a unexpected and bold way to write the epilogue, but i appreciate that.
Still, i can see a overall happy end in next week, at least i want to.

Kimi no na wa

Everything actually worked out in the end. Unexpected. Lots of nice looking backgrounds. As expected. And people chuckled out loud at various funny parts of the movie, so that was good I guess.

Koe no Katachi non-subtitled > Kimi no na wa non-subtitled cause it was easier to understand KnK :p

Line_HTX

Kimi no na wa

Everything actually worked out in the end. Unexpected. Lots of nice looking backgrounds. As expected. And people chuckled out loud at various funny parts of the movie, so that was good I guess.

Koe no Katachi non-subtitled > Kimi no na wa non-subtitled cause it was easier to understand KnK :p

You paid for them twice each?

;P

Quasar

Battery 11 - After all that build up? And its not like Noitamina does lots of second seasons. Liked the show though, a shock given my non interest in sports anime...though probably not enough to chase the source material.

Ascheroth

Digimon Tri #9-13

Skimmed through everything that wasn't action and still think I've got all the necessary story information.
Anyway, there wasn't much action, but what was there was pretty cool... at least it was cool looking, from a conceptual standpoint it was atrocious. Whoever is writing the action sequences in this has no clue at all. The way the Digivolutions are handled makes no sense at all and as a result it makes it completely impossible to take any of it seriously.
Yeah, just use your Champion forms against this enemy you clearly have trouble handling even with 5 vs. 1 and even after it digivolved further. Sounds like a perfect plan, I mean it's not like you have things like fucking Ultra and Mega Evolutions. Oh wait.
And the way the cast of 2 is handled (or not handled) it completely baffling as well.

I pray the new anime starting next week is better, because this is garbage.

pbayne

Im surprised its taken this long for people to turn on Digimon Tri. The first movie was barely passable and the i thought the second was utterly abysmal.

Rightfully earned its place on my shitlist for the year alongside Empire of Corpses and Kingsglaive.

Lol looked at some next season stuff and aside from having lots of magic girl stuff, there's an abundance of seemingly fujoshi focused shows next season, more than there's been in a while.

Haikyuu
Yuri on Ice
Tiger Mask-I mean come on it has Tanahashi and Okada, swoon.
All Out-Based on the character designs seems the most blatant of all the sports shows.
Touken Ranbu
Watashi ga Motete Dousunda
Iron Blooded Orphans-I mean the best part of that show is when the guys take their shirts off.
Uta Prince...obviously
Magic Kyun! Renaissance
Gakuen Handsome-i think thats a gag one but still
Ame-iro Cocoa: Rainy Color Waikiki

Jesus and thats not counting things like CardFight or Bungou Stary Dogs.

Ascheroth

Im surprised its taken this long for people to turn on Digimon Tri. The first movie was barely passable and the i thought the second was utterly abysmal.

Rightfully earned its place on my shitlist for the year alongside Empire of Corpses and Kingsglaive.

Well, my opinion on the movies is no different than yours, so I'm not sure I'd call it turning on it only now :p I think I started skimming halfway through the second one.
Only watching them for some Digimon action and new designs. And even on that front it's only barely delivering.

Qurupeke

I like Digimon tri... The art is below average for a movie, the animation is atrocious filled with a lot of stills, the action scenes are neither impressive nor long, the story has yet to deliver anything of significance... But I'm willing to ignore most of them because this is the kind of nostalgia bait I enjoy and I really like the characters. It's definitely my guilty pleasure.

Macross Δ 25

Christ, either there's going to be an awful ending or it's going to be amazing fanwank. I can't believe the megaroad-01 mention and DYRL playing during the freyja/hayate scene.
Freya is going to sing a song so good that everyone is like "Oh shit she's the TRUE Star Singer" and the Windies decide the deaths of hundreds of thousands of their people wasn't actually worth getting mad about and NUNS will suddenly stop being a secretly evil organization because man Freya really sings good!

Jintor

digimon tri is garbage and i'm only watching out of a misplaced sense of nostalgia

i hope the dub utterly butchers it back into the horrific frankenstin i know and love

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Someone recommended a show called something like My Young Romantic Comedy is a Lie (or whatever). I saw a short clip and it seemed nice, what's the hivemind opinion on this?

Note: I don't usually like harem/moe-crap type shows.

sasuke_91

Someone recommended a show called something like My Young Romantic Comedy is a Lie (or whatever). I saw a short clip and it seemed nice, what's the hivemind opinion on this?

Note: I don't usually like harem/moe-crap type shows.
It's not moe and it's definitely worth a watch if you can sympathize with the protagonist. I liked it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom