• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Someone recommended a show called something like My Young Romantic Comedy is a Lie (or whatever). I saw a short clip and it seemed nice, what's the hivemind opinion on this?

Note: I don't usually like harem/moe-crap type shows.

That its great. Especially season two. Was in my top 5 of last year.

Someone recommended a show called something like My Young Romantic Comedy is a Lie (or whatever). I saw a short clip and it seemed nice, what's the hivemind opinion on this?

That's SNAFU. It's honestly a show that almost everyone around here watched and liked. One of the viewings that had the thread the most active as it aired. It's really good. Just beware that the source material is still being published so Season 2's ending isn't conclusive. It should probably be another few years until we hear of a possible third season or a movie/OVA that picks things back up. That being said, I couldn't recommend this enough. Go and watch it, it's quite the journey.

Verelios

S1 is great, S2 apart from some highlights is not so great. Try out the first three episodes and see how you like it.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'll watch it. Actually, I started and just realised I've already seen the first episode (a bit forgettable). It's definitely not terrible so I don't remember why I didn't continue.

Can't say I identify with any of the characters thus far, though.

EDIT: Turns out I watched episode 2 already as well. Did I watch this whole show and forget about it?

I'll watch it. Actually, I started and just realised I've already seen the first episode (a bit forgettable). It's definitely not terrible so I don't remember why I didn't continue.

Can't say I identify with any of the characters thus far, though.
Well one would kinda hope you don't lol. Those characters have a lot of growing up to do on an individual level. That's what you see happen across both seasons.

kewlmyc

91 Days 11

And that's what happens when Avilio has nothing left to lose. That town is going to burn. I don't see anyone getting out of this alive.

Yeah, the lack of resolution to a lot of what they were building towards is certainly an issue. I don't know how exactly they adapted this from the novels, but it wasn't a clean ending and I'm not talking about the fade away as he pitches.

I think you can justly criticize Battery for having unfocused writing that doesn't clearly drive home its points. Still, I felt like the resolution to the central plot conflict of Takumi and Go's relationship was resolved satisfyingly enough. It's rather understated, but their behavior in the last few episodes makes it clear that they've come to an understanding of each other and that Takumi in particular has begun viewing others as people to have fun with rather than tools to be used to fulfill his own ends.

The scenes flow was bad, there has been like, what, two time-skips and it barely felt like minutes passed or the characters changed.

I would strongly disagree with this statement. There was one large timeskip in episode 9, and that was gracefully conveyed with a series of scenes showing the gradual shift of the weather through late fall, winter, into early spring. That's one of my favorite sequences of the show, actually.

Deadly

Kuromukuro 25
We can be so despicable sometimes but I unfortunately get the logic. I bet Tom got similar orders to fuck em over from the US.

Handa-kun - 12
Goddamnit what's with this touching ending that concluded everything so nicely. Wasn't expecting it. Good for Handa though, to finally realize that everything he was seeing around him was a lie and everyone loved him

Chihayafuru S2 1

Some really nice direction from Morio Asaka, particularly in some slick transitions between locations. Poor Sumire doesn't realize she's come into the second season of an anime and thus can't be the romantic heroine.

If Taichi still is unable to make Class A in this season...

Narag

Freya is going to sing a song so good that everyone is like "Oh shit she's the TRUE Star Singer" and the Windies decide the deaths of hundreds of thousands of their people wasn't actually worth getting mad about and NUNS will suddenly stop being a secretly evil organization because man Freya really sings good!

Ernest Johnson is going to declare it a good day to die then this will happen with the Meagroad-01: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4DCOpG1oNE

Deadly

Shokugeki no Soma S2 13
It's oveeeer nuuuuuuuuuuuu :( From reading the manga, I envisioned the scene where Shinomiya tells Soma to "Go grab...that first seat!" to be so much better though

Qurupeke

Soma S2 [END]

Cool finale, I'm a bit disappointed this isn't 2-cour. The Stagiaire arc was very nice, both the Hisoko and the French restaurant part, and thankfully a lot less frenetic compared to the previous arc. Tournaments seem a bit hard to implement well, and in Soma's case, it overstayed its welcome.

I have a feeling that a third season isn't happening any time soon though...

Handa-kun: End
jIflDOV.jpg
When the yanderes join forces the worlds shall tremble

What a sweet ending to a fantastic comedy. I loved how each episode the ending changed. But I especially loved Handa's change in this episode. It audibly made me go "d'aaaaaaw"

Digimon Tri chapter 3

Ok wow this was my favorite of the 3 movie so far! So many call back to the orignal for me throughout the whole thing. Like Tentomon and Agumon fighting the virus digimon together, the whistle and the god damn harmonica.

The first 3 part got me so emotinal I think I had tears in my eyes for most of the times. Every digimon asking to have some time with there friend and patamon
I'm infected aren't I?
just kept the tears flowing.

Then we had the super action packed part 4 with 20 minutes of awesome fights. Seeing those ultimate forms fight was so awesome with MetalGreymon winning the medal of the coolest. Then it finished with the awesome finale of HerculesKabuterimon against all of them with a few touching last words....it was soooo good.

Even if short we also had some nice Alphamon vs Jesmon footage which was very nice too see.

And that ending...perfect. Digimon was my childhood best friend and when I watch these movies it all comes back.

Best movie of the year! Give me the god damn part 4!

Also let me had that THIS is nostalgia done right!

91 Days - 11
Fuck, the direction on this episode WAS ON POINT. Seeing Avilio's conscience being wavered, his resolve in shambles. "What have I been doing this for?". That being said, Avilio started a family feud right there and then. This show has been excellent, and goes head to head with Mob right now. Just waiting for that finale to see which one is the AOTS.

Tuck

Re:Zero - 12
Of course theres a fucking cat person.

Re:Zero - 13
Ahh this was so cringe. The entire episode was Subaru making a giant ass out of himself.

Its probably a good thing, to knock him down a peg. And it'll lead to some growth later, but my god this was hard to watch.

Still really loving this show. So much better than expected.

phaze

Don't rely on anichart et al as reliable sources of information; they're not consistently updated. We know from official sources such as disc solicitations and the official website that Diamond is Unbreakable is running straight through without break.

Duly noted.

Handa-kun: End

When the yanderes join forces the worlds shall tremble

Picked up.

Orange 08

Why is Naho so bereft of brain cells ? Shoujo was a mistake.

It's funny to see the show get an ED instead of what was just background shots from 1 episode. Then again, I'm not sure if 3 stills stitched together deserve to be called an ED.

I don't remember the last good yandere in anime. Would maybe explain why 2016 is such a sucky tv anime year.
The same with the lack of NTR anime.

Is a big part of Handa about the yanderes?

A couple of episodes focus on them and they continue to make appearances, but I wouldn't call it an especially big part.

yeah outside of the episode that focuses on them, they are more for the background as a gag. But it's a great gag because you always see the short haired one in the background or attempting to do something in the shadows for Handa.

All the good yanderes are heavily restricted to VNs or manga that will never get an anime. Anime just have a lot of false/played for laughs yanderes.

Gvitor

Soma S2 13 / END

Good episode. The staggiaire arc was one of my favorites, and while they rushed it a little in the Hisako part, in the end I still liked this adaptation. I prefer the manga scene when Shinomiya tells Yukihira to get the 1st seat, though.

I unfortunately don't see this getting a 3rd season anytime soon. If they go back to the 1st season pacing, we already have content to 1 cour, maybe 2 by the time it gets there. But I think they lost all the good will they've built in the 1st season with the rushed autumn elections, and people are kinda burned on this. I've yet to look into any japanese numbers, though, so who knows.

KraytarJ

Soma S2 END
All the stagiare stuff in the last few episodes was pretty neat, especially finally learning a little more about Hisako and the OTP of the series. Too bad the season was stuck in the boring and predictable fall elections for so damn long. On the whole I'd say this season was a pretty big step down from 1, like most other people apparently.

Line_HTX

Freya is going to sing a song so good that everyone is like "Oh shit she's the TRUE Star Singer" and the Windies decide the deaths of hundreds of thousands of their people wasn't actually worth getting mad about and NUNS will suddenly stop being a secretly evil organization because man Freya really sings good!

Freyja is a meh singer.

Cornbread78

Alderamin ep.12
Oh shit, Ikta got 1-upped by them in this battle and I'm not sure how he can pull tgem out from getting demolished next week thus is going to be a rough battle. Also, the convo with Yatori sounded like a lot of foreshadowing.. What if
she is really the MC and Ikta dies in the upcomibg battle, so she can stabd with ber head up high?

Alderamin ep.12
Oh shit, Ikta got 1-upped by them in this battle and I'm not sure how he can pull tgem out from getting demolished next week thus is going to be a rough battle. Also, the convo with Yatori sounded like a lot of foreshadowing.. What if
she is really the MC and Ikta dies in the upcomibg battle, so she can stabd with ber head up high?

Did you miss the entire show where they are talking about Ikta as the miracle general or some shit and how this is his life story?

Lmao bush did 9/11

Love Live! Sunshine 13 END

After some good stuff, this seems like a rather weak finale. We get to see some moms, like how Chika's mom is apparently younger than her, and is voiced by Rie Kugiyama, which immediately communicates to the audience why Chika wanted her to leave.

We also find out that Yoshiko's mother had her early

But more importantly, it seems like this finale was ultimately set up as the reason why we have Starlight Academy, as it seems to lay the foundations of having a play and doing a singing piece to get more out of their idols, to raise the bar in a post-µ's world.

Overall, it was easier for me to sit through this than OG LL S1, where it was rather contrived at times (especially with the ending, fuck that) and Chika ultimately stands better with me than Honoka since she didn't do any bitch outs because her friend was too dumb to say anything. I don't really... loathe any character in the cast which is clearly a step up to me, and Dia is cool. That being said, the summary of their adventures screamed like a pity cry from zeroes. I mean shit Sunrise. You really messed up the landing for this episode.

And so I voted for Riko to be the next Center.

Tuck

Re:Zero - 15
What a fucking INCREDIBLE villain.

Amazing, absolutely amazing. The voice acting, his mannerisms and animation, everything about that scene was amazing.

Narag

Kabaneri 12 FIN

Ended up enjoying the show more than I thought I would have given the inexplicable middle where bad decision upon bad decision was made in the absence of common sense. I am glad this sort of thing got made, but wish it was better and more consistent throughout. Would not be opposed to watching a second season down the line.

Soma S2 - 13

Stagiaire arc was the thing that stood out to me this season and arguably the best thing this show has offered to date. Can't say I cared too much about the finals prior to this. Like I said before I wouldn't even mind if the show was just the stagiaires. Anyway this season was ok, but this last arc was superb.

Do wonder if we will get a third season... I love the series but to me, it's the colourful and mouth watering animation that makes this series what it is.7

S1 was a 9/10 at the time for me. S2 is an 8/10. Was the stagiaire brilliant and better than anything from before this, yes. But at the same time, production values were dropped, things were rushed and again, the first arc although ok, was nothing "new". So yeah, that's my final score. And no, it won't be going into my top 10, unlike Season 1 last year.

Just saw pictures of the Next Digimon Tri Movie chapter 4 Loss and it seems it's gonna focus on Phoenixmon/Sora.

Also the big villain seems to be Machinedramon.

Shame it's only going to come out in February :( I want more now!

Qurupeke

Kabaneri 12 FIN

Ended up enjoying the show more than I thought I would have given the inexplicable middle where bad decision upon bad decision was made in the absence of common sense. I am glad this sort of thing got made, but wish it was better and more consistent throughout. Would not be opposed to watching a second season down the line.
Don't worry, the second season of Attack on Titan is nearly here. It's practically the same thing as getting a second season of Kabaneri.

Don't worry, the second season of Attack on Titan is nearly here. It's practically the same thing as getting a second season of Kabaneri.

But that's not really true? The shows didn't end up being as similar to each other as it appeared before Kabaneri aired.

I thought Kabaneri would be better than Attack on Titan. And it was at first. But then the show went to shit somewhere after episode 4 or 5.
Even at its lowest points it was better than Attack of the Titans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom