• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Don't worry, the second season of Attack on Titan is nearly here. It's practically the same thing as getting a second season of Kabaneri.

hyped since they found the basement

But that's not really true? The shows didn't end up being as similar to each other as it appeared before Kabaneri aired.

Even at its lowest points it was better than Attack of the Titans.

Both of these points are true.

Soma S2 - 13

Solid ending and I liked Soma's 'shattering' sequence a lot.

ViRJBcy.jpg
dobA7pC.jpg
Mliha0b.jpg
FSLE9z5.jpg

On a whole though, this season was a notch or two below the first one. The power creep and the lack of internal consistency removes a lot of tension and genuine growth is downright impossible to come by at this point.

With how far ahead Soma is compared to the other Polar Star members (in his class anyways), even getting to the autumn finals, I find it hard to believe that he'd be pushed to his maximum in the Stagiaire, yet, those other guys are passing by just fine as well.

And foodgasms have become so meaningless. The food Soma presents provides Shinomiya with one of those and it's still not quite enough for the dish to be suitable.

One can make up explanations for that stuff, like, "everyone's training really hard and the rest of the Polar Star folks are actually very close to Soma in skill" and "Shinomiya just had that first impression but in the end sth was flawed with the dish after all!". But it all feels so unnatural by now that i'm not willing to make excuses.

Power creep issues tend to get more problematic in the long run and Soma is no different. They can make up for that by focusing on the characters but good characterization is only there in small bits. Shinomiya's relationship with his mother was quite appreciated this episode but even those instances are rarely build up to. Like, there was nothing about Shinomiya characterization hinting at something of the sort. It's just in this episode that we get to know that he pursued french cuisine because of his mother and then we get to see them meet, too.

Other potentially interesting backgrounds and characters like Soma's father's relationship with the Nakiri's but also his life in Tootsuki and his rivalry to Doujima only get touched upon slightly and then put away as this big thing you should be excited for in the future. And what's with Soma's mother? After that one statement his dad made I got curious about that. But do we get to see any about that? Nah, gotta tease and save for once they're out of ideas! :/

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I'll watch it. Actually, I started and just realised I've already seen the first episode (a bit forgettable). It's definitely not terrible so I don't remember why I didn't continue.

Can't say I identify with any of the characters thus far, though.

EDIT: Turns out I watched episode 2 already as well. Did I watch this whole show and forget about it?
[SNAFU]

I'm up to the third episode. Turns out I watched this one too. Did I really watch this whole show?

I'm not really feeling it so far but I'll at least watch until I reach an episode I don't remember watching.

EDIT:
Not really liking Yukino's character. She says the dumbest shit and treated like she's super smart and is seemingly great at everything. I'm sure that soon we'll find out more about her troubled past and how she's actually super flawed, but it still doesn't rectify this.

EDIT 2: I guess I also watched the fourth episode :|

EDIT 3: I'm up to episode six. I watched it before, too. I'm beginning to think I actually watched this whole thing. I was probably repressing it.

EDIT 4: I've seen episode seven before too, and it's a really bad episode at that-- perhaps this is where I quit?

e.

One can make up explanations for that stuff, like, "everyone's training really hard and the rest of the Polar Star folks are actually very close to Soma in skill" and "Shinomiya just had that first impression but in the end sth was flawed with the dish after all!". But it all feels so unnatural by now that i'm not willing to make excuses.
But it does make sense. Shoma doing well at Stagiaire doesn't mean others can't.

Think about it this way. The NFL, NBA and NHL are the pro leagues right? Well you've got teams in those leagues that are leagues better than other teams. The Patriots(Shoma) are insanely better than other teams(Other Polar dorm students) out there. However the Patriots(Shoma) being insanely good and going to the playoffs(Autumn election) along with other teams(Rio, Akira) doesn't mean those other teams(Polar Students) can't possibly win either and even the worst of them are still pros.

So yea those other kids are still pros, they simply aren't as good as Shoma but that doesn't means they aren't good enough to win in certain events or don't have some talents. Except for the two stooges and the dude with glasses the rest of the Polar dorm have shown they have a particular talent. Also the Stagiaire never came across as some impossible thing in the first place in fact it seemed like some of the places they got sent were ran by incompetent people anyway. Whereas this most recent one Shoma went to was ran by one of the world's top chefs whom he butted heads with before which made his Stagiaire particularly hard.

Now the question is whether I prefer actually good puppet fights or the more hilarious team America style. Because as much as I love thunderbolt fantasy, I feel I'd enjoy it more if all of the special effects and explosions were made with the puppets simply slapping against each other.

Ross61

Watching the first episode of Mushishi season one and I have a question. So
did the grandmother try to cross over into the Mushishi world as a child?
Is that why she has a child like appearance as a half mushishi?

Edit: Nevermind my question was answered. I just had to keep watching lol. But what a great first episode, this anime is very soothing. I don't think I've experienced that much from anime.

Line_HTX

But it does make sense. Shoma doing well at Stagiaire doesn't mean others can't.

Think about it this way. The NFL, NBA and NHL are the pro leagues right? Well you've got teams in those leagues that are leagues better than other teams. The Patriots(Shoma) are insanely better than other teams(Other Polar dorm students) out there. However the Patriots(Shoma) being insanely good and going to the playoffs(Autumn election) along with other teams(Rio, Akira) doesn't mean those other teams(Polar Students) can't possibly win either and even the worst of them are still pros.

So yea those other kids are still pros, they simply aren't as good as Shoma but that doesn't means they aren't good enough to win in certain events or don't have some talents. Except for the two stooges and the dude with glasses the rest of the Polar dorm have shown they have a particular talent. Also the Stagiaire never came across as some impossible thing in the first place in fact it seemed like some of the places they got sent were ran by incompetent people anyway. Whereas this most recent one Shoma went to was ran by one of the world's top chefs whom he butted heads with before which made his Stagiaire particularly hard.

Did you just fucking compare the deplorable Pats to Soma?!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
[SNAFU]

I'm up to the third episode. Turns out I watched this one too. Did I really watch this whole show?

I'm not really feeling it so far but I'll at least watch until I reach an episode I don't remember watching.

EDIT:
Not really liking Yukino's character. She says the dumbest shit and treated like she's super smart and is seemingly great at everything. I'm sure that soon we'll find out more about her troubled past and how she's actually super flawed, but it still doesn't rectify this.

EDIT 2: I guess I also watched the fourth episode :|

EDIT 3: I'm up to episode six. I watched it before, too. I'm beginning to think I actually watched this whole thing. I was probably repressing it.

EDIT 4: I've seen episode seven before too, and it's a really bad episode at that-- perhaps this is where I quit?

SNAFU - Episode 9
Holy shit! I haven't seen this one.

This episode fires up the melodrama, and man if it isn't cringeworthy. The "painful" event in everyone's past seems to be solely Yukino's driver almost hitting Yugihama's dog and hitting Hikky. Not really that serious and something everyone should be able to talk about easily.
Making all that melodrama about the lie is really stupid and highlights the issue with always setting these shows in highschool - the stakes are too low for people to act this way (not like they'll act this way in any setting, but at least it'll be more believable if more serious things actually happened).

Additionally, being aimed at teens/kids (especially Japanese ones) - you know you won't actually have any major issues (abuse, etc.) and the whole romance thing always goes nowhere which makes this particular episode almost entirely a waste since it focuses on Yugihama's feelings towards Hikky.

I guess I'll watch it since I'm almost at the end and I'm finally covering new ground, but it'll have to turn things around in the last few episodes to make me watch the second season.

Cornbread78

Souma S2-END
Good episode to close out the season. Soma has certainly grown as a chef through everything that happened. The theme music playing un the epilogue was pretty awesome as well. I guess ascan anime only wather that ending was kind of a kick to the nuts, since they make it clear that that was not the whole story, but I get it... Oh well, who knows how long it will be begore another season is made. I'm gonna miss watching this stupid fun anime each week.

Narag

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first. I'll fit movies in later too.

Winter
Plan on watching:
  • Konosuba
  • Rakugo
  • Sekkou Boys
  • Teekyu S7
In Progress:
  • Erased
  • Phantom World
Finished:
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Yamishibai S3
Spring
Plan on watching:
  • Kuromukuro
    [*]Re:Zero
In Progress:
  • Flying Witch
  • Flying Witch Petit
  • Gyakuten Saiban
  • Hundred
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Dimaond is Unbreakable
  • Joker Game
  • Kiznaiver
  • Macross Δ
  • Sakamoto
Finished:
  • Bungou Stray Dogs
  • Concrete Revolution: The Last Song
  • Kabaneri
  • Kagewani: Shou
  • Luluco
  • Mayoiga
  • My Hero Academia
  • Seisen Cerberus
Summer
Plan on watching:
  • Battery
In Progress:
  • 91 Days
  • Amanchu!
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • New Game
  • ReLife
  • Show by Rock!! Short
Finished:
  • Berserk
Fall
Plan on watching:
  • 3gatsu
    [*]Brave Witches
    [*]Bungou Stray Dogs 2
    [*]Izetta
    [*]Show by Rock!! s2

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first. I'll fit movies in later too.

Winter
Plan on watching:
  • Rakugo
  • Sekkou Boys
  • Teekyu S7
In Progress:
  • Erased
  • Phantom World
Finished:
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Yamishibai S3
Spring
Plan on watching:
  • Kuromukuro
    [*]Re:Zero
In Progress:
  • Flying Witch
  • Flying Witch Petit
  • Gyakuten Saiban
  • Hundred
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Dimaond is Unbreakable
  • Joker Game
  • Kiznaiver
  • Macross Δ
  • Sakamoto
Finished:
  • Bungou Stray Dogs
  • Concrete Revolution: The Last Song
  • Kabaneri
  • Kagewani: Shou
  • Mayoiga
  • My Hero Academia
  • Seisen Cerberus
Summer
Plan on watching:
  • Battery
In Progress:
  • 91 Days
  • Amanchu!
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • New Game
  • ReLife
  • Show by Rock!! Short
Finished:
  • Berserk
Fall
Plan on watching:
  • 3gatsu
    [*]Brave Witches
    [*]Bungou Stray Dogs 2
    [*]Izetta
    [*]Show by Rock!! s2

You must watch Keijo!!!! Narag, you haven't lived until you've seen Hips of Babylon or One Inch Boob Slam animated!

TrueBlue

So what exactly is Show By Rock? Since the second season is starting soon I'm wondering if I should give it a shot. Someone sell me on it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes.
Luluco.
Komugi R.
Konosuba I guess.

Ascheroth

Winter: Konosuba
Spring: Space Patrol Luluco

Can't think of much else.

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first.
Ajin? Or are you against CG?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sell me on it. It was really divisive from what I read in here but those that liked it really seemed to.
It's a show that really has a lot of fun with the concepts of magical girls and idols in a way that feels modern and reflective without veering off into being cynical and sneering. With this tone of knowing positivity it works itself through well known conventions with small but amusing twists that create an atmosphere of absurdity that always feels appropriately built to. Its interpretation of this material feels uniquely subtle in the space of Japanese anime comedy that is often boisterously loud and blunt with its humor.

Narag

It's a show that really has a lot of fun with the concepts of magical girls and idols in a way that feels modern and reflective without veering off into being cynical and sneering. With this tone of knowing positivity it works itself through well known conventions with small but amusing twists that create an atmosphere of absurdity that always feels appropriately built to. Its interpretation of this material feels uniquely subtle in the space of Japanese anime comedy that is often boisterously loud and blunt with its humor.

Sounds good to me. I'll give it a shot.

Ascheroth

So what exactly is Show By Rock? Since the second season is starting soon I'm wondering if I should give it a shot. Someone sell me on it!

It has ShinganCrimsonZ.

It's about a girl that gets transported into a fantasy world where music = power and joins a newcomer band there. Lots of songs, performances, different bands with different styles and very cool CG action, with some good comedy and drama inbetween. It's also one of the few anime that does CG right.

Digimon Adventure tri Movie 03

Still watching these for the nostalgia I guess. Wasn't bad, but it also wasn't particularly remarkable either. Like the previous two, it ends on a cliffhanger type of situation, which sucks since we gotta wait a good handful of months.

Flip Flappers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom