• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I guess it's happening?

Doesn't OPM go down hill after where the anime stopped?

it depends on your view of the series... I think if you like it it just keeps going fine, though recently the Murata version has gone into filler hell while it waits for ONE to finish a story arc or so

Qurupeke

I guess it's happening?

Murata's version? Certainly.

Generally though, there are some fun "mini" arcs properly introducing some characters and after that it's a long arc. I liked ONE's version of it, but Murata is making it even longer with stuff that feels like filler.

Gvitor

OPM gets so much better after the anime stops. Even these fillers Murata is putting out (which I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it's either written by ONE or approved by him) are good. But the arc is still far from its end. Maybe by the end of 2017 there's enough to do a 2-cour on the entire arc.

Tuck

I read up to where the re-draw stops, then tried reading ONE's version, and I was surprised at how much leaner it was - a noticeable amount of stuff in the re-draw didn't happen in ONE's version.

But I liked what was in the redraw.

Now that was about 9 months ago, so I don't know if its gone downhill from there, but I have a feeling I'll really enjoy season 2. Though hopefully they don't stumble on the fact that the re-draw isn't done the Garou arc yet.

Great news to wake up to.

phaze

SNAFU 10-13 (END)

That was forgettable. What were people raving about?
The last episode was pointless and not enjoyable as a "side-story". I didn't really feel like this series did anything I haven't seen before, and particularly this episode.

I bet I'll be watching this in two years again after having forgot about it completely.

Second season gets a substantial boost in visuals, chara designs and stuff but if you don't like it here (one of us !) then there's no point. Especially since the ending point of S2 is hmmmm not very satisfying.

-----

I dunno, I enjoyed OPM manga when I could binge it, a bit beyond Boros arc at that point, but now that I'm reading it ~monthly, it's dull,boring and mostly unfunny. Exactly what it's supposed to be making fun of but with zero tension and worse pacing. A lot of it was already there, that's what the anime made me realise but the release schedule and yet another (dragged out till infinity) arc that seems like it will go along with the usual scheme tired me out I guess.

Thud

I guess it's happening?

Nah, but it might not live up to expectations. AoT S2 is the same.

I'm looking forward to seeing both in action, but it will be within reasonable bounds. The hype does nothing for me.

convo

More of Fubuki is always good and an improvement over the first season. Don't know what route they'll take but they can make additional stuff up if they want. Will we get it before AOT season 2 though?

Moaradin

I guess it's happening?

The webcomic is still good. The manga adds a lot of new stuff that honestly drags it down. It feels like filler and so far doesn't really need to be there.

The anime could cut a lot of that stuff out though.

I read up to where the re-draw stops, then tried reading ONE's version, and I was surprised at how much leaner it was - a noticeable amount of stuff in the re-draw didn't happen in ONE's version.

But I liked what was in the redraw.

Now that was about 9 months ago, so I don't know if its gone downhill from there, but I have a feeling I'll really enjoy season 2. Though hopefully they don't stumble on the fact that the re-draw isn't done the Garou arc yet.

Great news to wake up to.
The early new stuff in the Murata version was pretty good. We got a lot of Metal Bat and that was rad. It's been spinning its wheels after that.

Jintor

Murata's version especially is non-condusive to eating a chapter every fortnight or whatever because basically nothing happens (even when huge things happen)

CDiggity

It's a shame they are probably going to stick with the Murata version since the webcomic is 10x better. ONE is a pretty darn good writer.

Because the people paying to get the anime made want to sell the Murata version.

Both are called 'One Punch Man', and both are more or less the same at the core (there is more filler in the Murata version though) and the art style from the anime clearly reminds more of the Murata version than the One version, so I think it would produce the same effect of increasing sales.

I guess it's happening?

A bit yeah. The Garou / monster association Arc is too damn long and in a way One forgot the origins of the story in satire and the touch of humor, and it's almost a normal shonen including a long chain of 1vs1 fights.

Aki-at

Hyped for more One Punch Man, I could go with an interchanging slot every year between OPM and Mob Psycho. ONE must be loving all the attention his works are getting.

One Punch Man was enjoyable but I wonder if they can get another full season out of it without the concept becoming tired. There isn't much of an emotional core to keep the audience interested when the comedy doesn't hit 100%.

I enjoyed the chapter in the police station and when Saitama meets King, really helps to deconstruct what a hero is.

javac

Anime Limited to release Outlaw Star on Blu-ray
Outlaw Star will be released as a Limited Collector’s edition Blu-ray set from 5th December. Expect to see listings appearing on retailer sites very soon.

The set will coming in Collector’s packaging, with the entire series (26 episodes) contained over four Blu-ray discs. (For those of you who like the technical information, it’s four BD50 discs.) Also included in the set will be a 100-page “Building a Universe” art book, that has not been produced in English anywhere before. It contains Line Arts, Image Boards and Mecha & Props.

On-disc content includes:
The entire series (26 episodes) over four Blu-ray discs in English and Japanese with English subtitles
Extras:
Clean Opening and Closing title sequences, Character Design Galleries, Mechanical Design Galleries, Character Color Setting Gallery, TV Commercials and the Pilot Film.
8im9kqG.jpg

faridmon

One Punch Man was enjoyable but I wonder if they can get another full season out of it without the concept becoming tired. There isn't much of an emotional core to keep the audience interested when the comedy doesn't hit 100%.

Yeah. I think it should be and it is a self contained story. I am happy with the ending too, but would love a spin-off focused on the other heroes who are on the higher tier.

SNAFU 10-13 (END)

That was forgettable. What were people raving about?
The last episode was pointless and not enjoyable as a "side-story". I didn't really feel like this series did anything I haven't seen before, and particularly this episode.

I bet I'll be watching this in two years again after having forgot about it completely.

Taste test completed. Now if you want to watch good relationship drama I'll suggest KareKano, Nana, Aoi Hana and even Koi Kaze, which deals with incest but really damn well.

I dunno, I enjoyed OPM manga when I could binge it, a bit beyond Boros arc at that point, but now that I'm reading it ~monthly, it's dull,boring and mostly unfunny. Exactly what it's supposed to be making fun of but with zero tension and worse pacing. A lot of it was already there, that's what the anime made me realise but the release schedule and yet another (dragged out till infinity) arc that seems like it will go along with the usual scheme tired me out I guess.

Pretty much my view as well. Read all of the manga available after seeing the anime and when I reached the end, so did my interest. To people who wonder "doesn't the OPM formula get repetitive quickly?" - yes, yes it does. That's why it turns into relatively standard battle shonen stuff with fewer and fewer fun Saitama bits on the side.

Excellent artwork by Murata though, even if I'm not a fan of the character design itself.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.12
Excellent stopping point for the 1st cour. I was expecting this to be a mediocre adaptation at best, but this has been excellent so far. The re-order and focus of the events has been great as well as the character introductions and stories. I can't wait until S2 finally comes

I guess this is the last week. I might as well start writing up my AOTY list. I don't think any show next season looks like it'll crack my top 5 save for Natsume. But I don't even know if I have 10 shows I genuinely liked this year.

So are we counting shows from Winter 2016 onwards, or Spring 2016 onwards?

Assuming we start counting from the 2016 thread I have 11 shows (including Thunderbolt Fantasy right now) I enjoyed this year. A couple of them I wouldn't mind replacing if something that airs this next season replaces them (I enjoyed Sekkou Boys and the Marshmallow show, but don't know if it's list worthy).

I guess we now wait for this season and wait for an official ruling on whether we can vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy

Cornbread78

I guess this is the last week. I might as well start writing up my AOTY list. I don't think any show next season looks like it'll crack my top 5 save for Natsume. But I don't even know if I have 10 shows I genuinely liked this year.

Assuming we start counting from the 2016 thread I have 11 shows (including Thunderbolt Fantasy right now) I enjoyed this year. A couple of them I wouldn't mind replacing if something that airs this next season replaces them (I enjoyed Sekkou Boys and the Marshmallow show, but don't know if it's list worthy).

I guess we now wait for this season and wait for an official ruling on whether we can vote for Thunderbolt Fantasy

"Winter" season starts right after the new year, so if it's simulcasted in 2016 it should count.

I still think Thunderbolt needs a seperate catagory outside if "anime"

phaze

Tales of Zestiria 12
0200195kz9g.jpg

Geee ... that won't backfire at all.

Yes that's what I wanted from the finale. To have the main baddie retreat after a minor scuffle and have Srey (that's his name right ?) be relegated to strucking down some CG ghosts.

Overall meh, the writing in this ranges from rote to downright offensive and the production values are its only saving grace.

"Official" - well, whoever organizes the voting thread gets to determine the rules. But normally anything that aired in the calendar year is eligible.

By the way, I am expecting Natsume S5 to be bad. Shuka has shown themselves to be a studio with consistently poor management, and Natsume isn't the kind of show that can get by with sketchy production values. The trailers released for S5 are unimpressive. Plus the last seasons already were showing a marked decline with the increasing reliance on mediocre multi-episode arcs which clumsily handle attempts at heightened tension. I'll still watch it, and hope to be pleasantly surprised, but it's pretty much at the bottom of my list.

That's an OVA. Episode 1 is up on Crunchy.

.... your post only confused me more. I thought there was a proper anime being made. Is the OVA the only thing airing this season? Or is it a full anime?

"Official" - well, whoever organizes the voting thread gets to determine the rules. But normally anything that aired in the calendar year is eligible.

By the way, I am expecting Natsume S5 to be bad. Shuka has shown themselves to be a studio with consistently poor management, and Natsume isn't the kind of show that can get by with sketchy production values. The trailers released for S5 are unimpressive. Plus the last seasons already were showing a marked decline with the increasing reliance on mediocre multi-episode arcs which clumsily handle attempts at heightened tension. I'll still watch it, and hope to be pleasantly surprised, but it's pretty much at the bottom of my list.

If it ends up disappointing it'll be a shame. But after going again through the list seems like I was too focused on the shows that look bad to give a proper try to those that look good, the season of shows I'd give a try to next season is exponentially bigger where if many of them end up being good it could shuffle around plenty of shows from my AOTY list.

Line_HTX

Huh... Orange will get a sequel film this November called Orange: Future. It'll have a partial retelling and then continue the story.

erm, how? Murata is moving slower then ever so unless they are going to copy his style
or be interesting and just ONE it like MP100
then...

I guess it's happening?

Murata meanders about so goddamn much its infuriating. I don't think anything has happened in an entire year, and the Garou arc has been sidelined for a goddamn tournament. Murata doesn't know what he is doing.

Gvitor

Orange 13 / END

The ending was better than I was expected, but it could've been so much more if they actually made Kakeru a compelling character and Naho less of a dork.
But I really liked that they ended on the "saved a friend" tone rather than the romance one. If anything, the couple they chose to end with was Suwa and Naho.

Huh... Orange will get a sequel film this November called Orange: Future. It'll have a partial retelling and then continue the story.

why

Qurupeke

Orange [END]

Extended episode and it managed to look decent too.

The finale was really good, with everything coming nicely to a conclusion
and Kakeru having a huge smile. I also liked that they didn't explicitly confirmed that Naho and Kakeru will marry in this future. Though I suppose it's certainly a possibility.

Overall, I liked the series. Naho could act stupidly sometimes and Kakeru was selfish, but I don't really think they were that different from a regular teenager. The show did a good job portraying the group's strong ties and I believe that's what mostly matters here. All of them felt like a core part of the group, not just side characters.

Tales of Zestiria END

A great ending that set things up well for the next season. I really like how they rearranged the story and some character introduction.

The main thing I like about Tales games is always the characters and this anime really brought them to the front!

Ufotable did an awesome job! All of you who dropped it because it's a Tales game adaptation should really give it another try.

Dragon Ball Super 59

It's nice to see Black and future Zamasu are good buds now, when they're not out destroying humanity. Just hanging out, drinking tea, talking about how great it feels to be immortal.

Just typical guy stuff.

blurr

I get where this is coming from in the sense that the anime gives an expectation about the conclusion of Saitama's predicament which is central to the series. Post the anime, it kind of goes back and forth but mostly concentrates on other/new characters more which is great in theory but it is kind of underwhelming sans a few moments. There are a few other things that go on but nothing that ascertains, much less expands on grounds of "expectation/intrigue". Narrative wise I'm honestly not expecting much to begin with.

Still, it's been fun from an entertaining point of view, just not much in the way of direction.

I'm pretty hyped about one moment
(Metal Bat vs Garo)
would be great to see it animated.

Line_HTX

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first. I'll fit movies in later too.

Winter
Plan on watching:
  • Konosuba
In Progress:
  • Erased
  • Phantom World

Spring
Plan on watching:
  • Kuromukuro
    [*]Re:Zero
In Progress:
  • Flying Witch
  • Hundred
  • Kiznaiver
Finished:

Summer
Plan on watching:
  • Battery
In Progress:
  • 91 Days
  • Amanchu!
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • New Game
  • ReLife
  • Show by Rock!! Short

I think that should fit your criteria of what you might be missing. I'm waiting for Kuromukuro to finish so I can do the Netflix binge when it gets on there.

Oh, and I guess I'll mirror Printer Paper's Keijo suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom