• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Orange-END
Damn, that was good... damn good. They put a lot of thought and emotion into that ending to make it
satisfying for all parties, including Suwa.
That scene definately put a smile on my face! I guess in the end, this show did everything it set out to do by
saving Kakeru, explain the time questions and give everyone a happy ending..
. Beautiful!

This will rank high on my AOTY rankings if for nothing else than that ending was great!

Line_HTX

Durarara!! 1 - 3

I am not sure what I am watching. I am pretty sure I do not like it though.

The only reason I keep on watching is to determine why this thing even exists. How am I supposed to enjoy it?

By looking at each of the major characters and how they interact with each other as time goes on with this huge a cast. IIRC they have their own interesting things in their lives.

Maybe a bit off-topic, but I just discovered that the shokugeki manga is completely different from the show. Or so it seems from the first chapter
edit: no ok, apparently it's only the prologue. It starts far forward in the story??

Cornbread78

Tatami Galaxy ep.1-6
Been watching this as part of the recent "Lets Watch" and ut's been pretty fun so far with episode 6 absolutely killing it with the comedy parts. I like the mix of sophmoric humor, with insane visuals, as well as with the re-occuring events (that damn rip-off fortune teller, lol)

Pretty good stuff. Maybe he'll take the right path by the end.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Amanchu: the ending episode was beautiful, the music, the ocean, the
not-love confession
, it had its lows but it was totally worth it

Shougeki no Soma S1(up to ep20): the food trivia and its vibrant cast make this fun to watch

Saekano: positively surprised by this, it's the kind of
ecchi?
comedy i like, if anyone has recommendations on shows like this, i would appreciate

Trails of cold steel 1 replay: this is still fun. I first played it without trails in the sky knowledge and now that i've spent winter break playing through FC and SC, replaying it is pretty awesome, lots of things i missed, plus rean and alise duo is great
SjEdilP.jpg

Gvitor

Kimi no na wa

I loved it. To whoever said the ending felt like an apology for 5 cm per second's ending, that's absolutely right. I'm also kind of glad I read that opinion before watching this, because everytime they mimicked 5cm's ending (first the bridge, then the stairs), I would've bought that Shinkai was going for a bittersweet/sad ending again, and I just couldn't take it anymore. So knowing that I was kind of prepared for a happier ending.

I could've used an epilogue or a reel of scenes in the credits showing them as a couple, but I'm just glad we didn't get a "life is simply unfair" ending after such a happy movie (despite nearly breaking me a couple of times).

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 24

The quartet on stage at last. Well it's not the first time since the movie happened before this, but it's the first time in the show proper with 4 people on stage. There hasn't even been 3 people yet come to think of it. It's also the first time all the first years are really hanging out together. Except Koharu leaves part way, but she sucks anyway. Ako is the scene stealer, and Laura plays off her well. Need more episodes with all 5 of them please.

Cornbread78

Saekano: positively surprised by this, it's the kind of
ecchi?
comedy i like, if anyone has recommendations on shows like this, i would appreciate

Ecchi comedy, huh.. Now your speaking my language, lol. Lets see..

- Konosuba
- B Gata H Kai
- Baka to Test (not strong ecchi though, just stupid fun)
- Ah My Buddha
- Golden Boy
- Kanokon
- They Are My Noble Masters
- Green Green (this one is terrible, but, I'd love to see another poster's reaction to it, lol)
- Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun

There's a ton more out there as well.

Oh and yeah, Rean x Alisa is canon, lol. Loced CS1 and I'm loving CS2 currently..

Voror

This is the European release. If Funimation doesn't announce a NA release before it comes out, I'm just going to import this one.

Ah, I hope Funimation does announce. I'd forgotten they had the license. I still have my DVDs but what I'm seeing looks great.

This set certainly looks great as well.

I also found out there are Blu-rays of G Gundam coming out this year in Japan. The first on Tuesday and the next in November. I seriously hope we get those Blu-rays, though since that partnership they've been releasing the shows on a good track. I doubt we'll get these super nice editions with the artbooks they're getting in Japan though.

godisntheradio

Neo Member

Oh and yeah, Rean x Alisa is canon, lol. Loced CS1 and I'm loving CS2 currently..

i only watched konosuba from the list, so i'll busy for a while, thanks

i'm almost finishing it and my cold steel 2 copy is on the way
i glad they made someone canon, i would never be able to choose between towa, laura, alisa and even sara if she wasn't out of reach(tecnically)

jbug617

Banned
Orange is getting a movie. It's going to continue the story. I spoiler tag the plot of the movie just in case.

At the end of the talk show segment in the one-hour special of TV anime Orange, the cast members announced that the series will be receiving an anime film. Titled Orange -Mirai- (Orange: Future), the film will have a limited two-week screening throughout Japan starting November 18 with tickets going on sale October 14.

The film will be narrated from the viewpoint of Suwa, as he continues to support Kakeru and Naho's relationship. It will also feature an original story written by the series' original creator Ichigo Takano, which takes place after the events in the manga and TV anime. The tagline in the key visual reads, "Since that day, I've always wanted to show those two this future—."

The cast members and production staff will reprise their roles in the film with Naomi Nakayama as the chief director. The ending song of the TV anime Mirai by Kobukuro will be reused as the theme song.
https://myanimelist.net/news/47913095
Announcment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPs3W_UoGL0

Cornbread78

Soredemo ep.10
Well, proof that he really likes Hotori, lol. I loke meca good ghost story, and the poor old man was just that, well, pretty funny at least. The alien story was just weird but funny as usual..

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I watched Season 1 of Psycho pass since they put it up on Crunchyroll. It was pretty interesting, the minority report like future made a pretty good setting, but the ending felt pretty underwhelming. I feel the show could have benefited from more episodic content, rather than having so many episodes being linked to a single mastermind.

Sterok

Madoka Concept Movie

What is that thing coming from Earth? Kyoko seems to be getting Nagisa levels of attention. Sayaka looks cool. Hope Mami actually becomes a super goddess when something comes of this.

Active Raid S2 12 (End)
Pw0yJC5.jpg

Your ex's face when you call her after an entire season of ignoring her calls, only to tell her how worried you are about your bro going to space.

Man, what a great final episode. The Sena/Miho subplot ended up just as fantastically as I expected, and everyone else's resolutions were pretty good as well in the first half. The latter half was crazy fun, like the Advent Children-style launch sequence, or the space battle consisting of funnel beams and Build Burning punching stuff.

I am going to miss this show. It was really fun. I've heard Gun x Sword is stylistically similar, so I might try picking that up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

- Konosuba
- B Gata H Kai
- Baka to Test (not strong ecchi though, just stupid fun)
- Ah My Buddha
- Golden Boy
- Kanokon
- They Are My Noble Masters
- Green Green (this one is terrible, but, I'd love to see another poster's reaction to it, lol)
- Good Luck! Ninomiya-kun

I'd say that Shimoneta is probably the best sex comedy of recent memory.

Line_HTX

I'm still sad that the actress passed away. Anna was such a killer role.

I'm still stunned that it happened like that. It made me freak out when I heard Risa Taneda was taking a break because of a medical issue, but I guess she said it wasn't life threatening and is OK now.

JCG

Active Raid S2 12 (End)

Man, what a great final episode. The Sena/Miho subplot ended up just as fantastically as I expected, and everyone else's resolutions were pretty good as well in the first half. The latter half was crazy fun, like the Advent Children-style launch sequence, or the space battle consisting of funnel beams and Build Burning punching stuff.

I am going to miss this show. It was really fun. I've heard Gun x Sword is stylistically similar, so I might try picking that up.

Yes, it was a satisfactory resolution. Overall, Active Raid ended up being alright by me. Not every episode of S2 was gold, but quite a few of them were solid. That said, I'll always wonder about what would have been the fate of this series if another studio with more animation resources/muscle than IMS took charge.

Events were rushed in a couple of places, no doubt, but they did a good job wrapping up loose ends this time. The whole final action sequence was a nice combination of both ridiculous and awesome elements. Compared to the first season, the villains were handled better and I thought they found a more interesting balance of silliness and character moments too (even some actual development at times). Still, the new characters provided less to the experience than the already existing cast.

As for Gun X Sword...it's certainly similar in spirit, although with a clearer main goal and the execution quality was much higher. Starts out slowly at first glance, but that show does a wonderful job of pickup up the seemingly episodic pieces at the halfway point. The third episode alone is pretty stellar too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm still stunned that it happened like that. It made me freak out when I heard Risa Taneda was taking a break because of a medical issue, but I guess she said it wasn't life threatening and is OK now.
Yeah, it's strange thinking about the people behind these characters - it's certainly something I didn't really think about until the last couple of years when I just started following anime news. Tomoko Kawakami's death is still the one that's on my mind, partly because everyone keeps telling me to finish Utena, but because of Aria and the OVAs that were basically made to work around her absence.

-----

Love Live Sunshine

I really wasn't sure what to expect from Sunshine, or even what I wanted. There's a part of me that did want Muse cameos, and their constant teasing of Muse (particularly in episode 12) was pretty much meant to troll people like me with a crossover that will probably never happen.

In the end, I was pleasantly surprised by what they delivered. It's a much more assured production, similar to the jump from K-On! to K-On!!, where the staff had a clearer idea of what they wanted to make and hit the ground running using their experience from the previous series.

So while there were a lot of gimmicky plot devices, like having Chika being the one to form the group or the school being threatened with closure, the show feels much more complete as a coherent story - particularly when the characters change their goal from the improbable "we're going to save the school with music" to the more realistic "let's just get one person interested in us". Compare that with the first season of Love Live, where the school is just miraculously saved for no reason other than because the season ended.

The one major difference is that Aqours isn't quite as caricatured (or flanderized) as Muse. Perhaps the closest character to that would be Yohane/Yoshika, but even she feels relatively toned down compared to the Muse cast. What that means is that there aren't as many obviously funny or memorable character moments between the girls, but the flip side is that they also seem a bit more grounded, so that when they do have their funny moments they stand out more - such as when Riko freaks out over Chika's dog.

Thinking about the final moment of the climatic concert, the result of which is left open as a cliffhanger, you get a shot of Chika reaching out to the light:

MLkbuM0l.jpg

In the episode, she's reaching out to the members of the school that have come to support her, but we remember that the entire season has both been about Chika making connections between all the members of Aqours and also Chika trying to reach out and catch Muse/Honoka. Yes, it's similar to the ideas raised in the first season, where Muse comes together as a group after addressing their own individual insecurities, but it's handled just as well here and there isn't any needless false drama to try to create conflict (Kotori leaving the school, Honoka getting sick).

Stepping out of Muse's shadow was better handled as well, or at least it seemed to be more developed than Muse trying to move past A-Rise in the original show. Even ignoring all the blatant attempts to reference the first series, Muse does feel like a giant albatross hanging around Chika's neck, and the way she resolves to free herself of those expectations is a nice arc that feels complete as well.

Although I would have liked a proper passing of the torch, the letter Chika writes to Honoka at the end of episode 12 culiminating with this moment is a nice touch:
2DUcw8zl.jpg

Which of course is referencing this:
WbqSVKhl.png

Love Live Sunshine is a show that's really hard to review as a fan, because you can't help but compare it to the original. In some way, it's like asking me to try to review Deep Space Nine without considering The Next Generation. It doesn't help that it's so recent and still fresh in my mind because of the movie and the game. Will I ever feel as attached to Aqours as I do to Muse? Probably not. But is Sunshine a better show than the original? It probably is.

I'm looking forward to whenever the show is coming back, and here's hoping they can sustain it for as long as they kept Muse going.

zulux21

kind of surprised i didn't hear any mention of the tease of a ghost in the shell stand alone complex third gig.

I also realized I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about Nadia: Secret of Blue Water which is odd because it was a pretty decent 90s anime :p

Durarara!! 1 - 3

I am not sure what I am watching. I am pretty sure I do not like it though.

The only reason I keep on watching is to determine why this thing even exists. How am I supposed to enjoy it?

durarara takes to much time at the start pretending to be an almost slice of life show. coming off bacano it was really weird, but then it started picking up and went crazy like I expected. I really should get around to watching the new seasons as while I wasn't a fan of the first bit of durarara it really grew on me. I always liked the opening though.

Narag

zulux21;218115767 I also realized I don't think I have ever heard anyone talk about [URL="https://myanimelist.net/anime/1251/Fushigi_no_Umi_no_Nadia?q=nadia" said:
Nadia: Secret of Blue Water[/URL] which is odd because it was a pretty decent 90s anime :p

It's brought up in here from time to time with the usual warnings against the Island arc.

Wanderer5

Madoka Concept Movie

Pretty nice to see a lot of the concept stuff they had for this series.

Edit: Oh wait this is for a upcoming project apparently.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live Sunshine

Stepping out of Muse's shadow was better handled as well, or at least it seemed to be more developed than Muse trying to move past A-Rise in the original show. Even ignoring all the blatant attempts to reference the first series, Muse does feel like a giant albatross hanging around Chika's neck, and the way she resolves to free herself of those expectations is a nice arc that feels complete as well.

I do find it funny that despite the show previously showing Chika stepping out of Honoka's shadow, they did end the concert with Chika doing a run 'towards the camera while it flips upside down' manoeuvre which was pretty much a Honoka trademark in the original.

Also, nice review.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And loved her in Tamayura. I have to think her death killed the alluded to wedding.
Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. :(
I keep forgetting to watch the last two episodes, so I'm not sure how they handled that or if they made those after they would have recorded any lines.

I do find it funny that despite the show previously showing Chika stepping out of Honoka's shadow, they did end the concert with Chika doing a run 'towards the camera while it flips upside down' manoeuvre which was pretty much a Honoka trademark in the original.

Also, nice review.
Yeah, the camera flip and the fisheye lens shot of the sky earlier in the episode had touches of the original as well.

Of course, ending at a beach reaffirming their place is a nice contrast to the previous episode (in a vacuum) but is also paralleled with Muse's resolution to end after they're done in the original.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Great review and wow I never connected that the feather Chika was holding was a reference to Honoka. Honestly I probably missed a whole lot of references unless to were extremely apparent.
It's technically a general μ's reference as the whole cast do the feather shot during the series two ED.

Aki-at

Mob Psycho 100 - 11

I could appreciate the animation when in Japan but understanding everything that happened in the first half was even better, Reigen is such a cool character. The most morally upstanding conman you'd probably ever meet.

Macross Delta - 25

Everything that's happened in the past few episodes seems like it should have happened somewhere around episode 17 - 20. The finale is going to fell so rushed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Great review and wow I never connected that the feather Chika was holding was a reference to Honoka. Honestly I probably missed a whole lot of references unless to were extremely apparent.
It's technically a general μ's reference as the whole cast do the feather shot during the series two ED.
Yeah, although of course Honkers is the obvious connection, particularly since Chika is "talking" to her in that scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom