• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first. I'll fit movies in later too.

Tanaka-kun from Spring seems to be one notable omission to me. I guess Gundam Thunderbolt was this year too mostly ?

Edit: Additionally Koyomimonogatari provided you're watching the franchise.

If you're in desperate need of more then Dimension W.

Ascheroth

I guess it's happening?

Doesn't OPM go down hill after where the anime stopped?

ONE version continues just fine. All the stuff with King and the Garou arc are fantastic. It's the Murata version that has gone into 'whatever' territory.
With that in mind I'm not particularly excited for a second season, unless they just do their own thing.

Just T

Brotherhood Final Fantasy XV: 5

Lackluster finish. Overall these episodes weren’t that great at all, the animation was atrocious and sometimes the setting itself felt a little off when going into their backstories. However, some of the interactions were pretty good. Now to wait for the game and see how that shit turns out. Ah, Kingsglaive too.

Amanchu: 10-12

Finished this up too. This was a great little relaxing show. I enjoyed seeing Teko’s development and of course the building of her friendship with Pikari. Katori was a pretty good character as well. The only character I had a little gripe with is the sister Ai, that kicking shit is annoying but other than that what an enjoyable show this was.

Amaama to Inazuma: 10-12

Done with this too. It was a charming show as well and glad it stayed enjoyable all the way through. The characters and their interactions were great especially seeing Kouhei trying to be the best Dad he could be for Tsumugi. Wouldn’t mind another season for this one.

New Game: 10-12

Nene with those spoilers right outside the shop, come on lol. This was a neat show though and I appreciated the different setting than the usual stuff. The characters were pretty good, Nene voice and personality can be a bit much at times but she alright. Don’t like Rin though for some reason. Anyway though, Aoba came a long way from the beginning.

Mob Psycho 100: 7-11

Missed some amazing stuff here. The animation is still top notch, that fight with Koyama was just incredible. I’ve really enjoyed catching up on this and I thought the development with Ritsu was pretty good as well as how much Teru has changed, it’s nice to see him helping out now. Going to the latest episode I think Reigen was good for stopping Mob from going too far, however, he should still let Mob do a little something because like the others were saying they can’t just easily walk away while dealing with that at the same time. Regardless though, looks like Mob about to go off again next episode.

Behind on a couple of other shows, probably going to catch up on Re:Zero’s last 5 episodes. Trying to catch up before the Fall season starts, which kinda looks lacking outside of the sequels. Also still really happy about Uchouten Kazoku’s second season.

Acosta

How I'm going to live without my weekly take of Soma? :((((

I know the show could be better and it has plenty of shortcomings, but it makes me happy. I'm going to miss it a lot.

Wanderer5

Orange #13 END

Pretty much going with what been said already, that I really appreciate that
they ended in a "saved a friend" tone, and not much of the romance aspect. And as it should, cause when I look back at Orange, it for the strong friendship that this group has. Even with the series' quirks with romance and some development, the friendship overall was able to come through.

Aiii

So not worth it
Orange #13 END

Pretty much going with what been said already, that I really appreciate that
they ended in a "saved a friend" tone, and not much of the romance aspect. And as it should, cause when I look back at Orange, it for the strong friendship that this group has. Even with the series' quirks with romance and some development, the friendship overall was able to come through.

Agreed, when they revealed everyone got a letter a few episode ago it really did shift the show from romance to friendship that much more, that was a nice touch.

Also, the anime movie coming out that focusses on Suwa's POV should drive that point home even more, looking forward to it, especially now that I read the original author wrote the story for it.

Orange - 13

Sweet ending was sweet. At the same time it was bitter. This show really was like an orange. It had its production issues for a couple of episodes but eventually those got sorted out just like any show, so I won't fixate too much on that. For those who were worried due to Naho and Suwa
having a child, well they still have one in the original timeline. What we watched was a product of a parallel world, where the past got changed and diverged from its main branch due to the letters.
The ending,
seeing Suwa, Naho and the child at the very end
was the perfect touch. It was a nice reminder that everything was
fine on their side as well.

I was gonna give this a lower score, but the ending kind of brought everything up a notch for me. I'll give it a solid 7/10. Could have gotten more, but Naho as a character just didn't do it for me, the show was quite honestly carried by the friends and their interactions.

I'll probably check out the movie, although it's probably going to crush me.

Taruranto

Erin fights the patriarchy 15#

4nxrThC.jpg

What the HELL. It went to happy to normal to fucked up in 0.5 seconds.

You know, I keep forgetting that Erin world isn't really that much happy go lucky. These people seem to be always at war, women are given in marriage young, veterinarians get put to death if they make a mistake and there seems some sort of caste-system.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So what does Soma even learn at the school, the apparent greatest culinary school in all of Japan? We learnt that he had no idea of the classic techniques found in French cooking, which I would have thought would have been one of the first things taught.

Deadly

So what does Soma even learn at the school, the apparent greatest culinary school in all of Japan? We learnt that he had no idea of the classic techniques found in French cooking, which I would have thought would have been one of the first things taught.
Because they teach that stuff in junior high.

Thoraxes

He's only a first-year. (also he didn't go to the Junior high)

Edit: beaten

The "school" in Soma is not a place of education - at least in what I watched, there was not a single example of any of the instructors actually teaching a single thing to any of the students. It's just a big elimination reality show.

Ascheroth

Soma transfered from outside the school though. Tootsuki has a junior high section, where all the basics are probably learned. There are classes in the high school section as well, but the manga only showed it once or twice as a sidenote, so no idea what they actually learn there.

sasuke_91

Orange 13 That was actually a satisfying end. I can somewhat understand that people give the manga such a high score everywhere. 8/10 for me (although it would be more like 7.5/10, but MAL doesn't let you guve half points :p).

Qurupeke

Macross Delta - 26

Got what I wanted.
I am happy with this show.
This was good for me.

GOOD END

Still gonna buy all the BDS too! :D

The impressions I've read about this are so different that I'm not sure if it's a good ending or a very bad one...
However, it seems Freyja wins, so it can't be a bad ending.

Thoraxes

The impressions I've read about this are so different that I'm not sure if it's a good ending or a very bad one...
However, it seems Freyja wins, so it can't be a bad ending.

It basically comes down to what you wanted, what you expected, and what you ultimately got.

All those things lined up for me, so I favor the ending. I acknowledge that the second half was weaker than the first in many regards, but I really just liked the whole series.

Dragon Ball Super 59

tcPG6JD.jpg
vZmICiO.jpg
uYOqIhw.jpg

Beerus is a joke character so much it was cool to see him use his actual God of Destruction powers

Beerus - "Shut up everything is fine now. If a God kills another God that has to change the timestream."

On the next episode of Dragon Ball Super, everything is not fine and nothing changed

Heybot 02

This show is off its fucking rocker, this is like 20 minutes of Teekyu for kids. Its a stream of consciousness anime, and it seems like the music and sfx is way louder then the voice acting. I need explanation. If you make kids anime can you just do whatever the fuck you want?

Line_HTX

It basically comes down to what you wanted, what you expected, and what you ultimately got.

All those things lined up for me, so I favor the ending. I acknowledge that the second half was weaker than the first in many regards, but I really just liked the whole series.

Fuck Freyja if that's the case. >:)

gargles

Orange - 13 (END)

Lovely ending. Glad they focused on the group (Orange's strongest point) and on their "mission". And as a fan of
Naho and Suwa as a couple, I couldn't feel disappointed with that last scene. At least they're happy and together in their timeline.

I'd give it a 7 or an 8. Maybe 7... those QUALITY shots and some other issues with individual characters (Naho and Kakeru) are making me lower this score. But the group and characters such as Suwa and Hagita make up for it. Suwa is great. Really want to see that Future film.

Qurupeke

Hmm, that's good to hear, this is how I feel right now, trying to keep my expectations in check. At least, it's extremely likely they'll make Macross movies and they'll address most of the problems of the second half.

Fuck Freyja if that's the case. >:)
Someone's salty. :^)

Quasar

Soma transfered from outside the school though. Tootsuki has a junior high section, where all the basics are probably learned. There are classes in the high school section as well, but the manga only showed it once or twice as a sidenote, so no idea what they actually learn there.

That's certainly what the specifically say in the anime. But overall its odd how they never show the students attending classes so we never see what they are taught.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Shokugeki no Soma Season 2 Episode 13

LMAO that scene when with them outside the restaurant was great. I love the one female teacher lol.

I had no idea this was the last episode of the season though. I heard the ED song playing and I was like "That's odd, but that's cool".

And then I went "Oh no. No no no no no". It was obvious what was happening.

Now I guess I'll have to read the manga :S

Also that scene with Meat girl with the guy near the fire totally looked like a scene from Hunter x Hunter for when Nen is introduced.

Eila

Skipped through that video and saw him/her (not trying to be rude, I really don't know if it's a guy or girl) fail at trying to eat with chopsticks... That's like... the easiest thing to learn if you want to pretend to be Japanese Oo
I feel bad for the parents as well.

It's pretty clear to me but the most damning evidence is that she's watching stale shoujo romance like Marmalade boy and also had Ouran manga and some others laying around.

MartyStu

Durarara!! 1 - 3

I am not sure what I am watching. I am pretty sure I do not like it though.

The only reason I keep on watching is to determine why this thing even exists. How am I supposed to enjoy it?

Durarara!! 1 - 3

I am not sure what I am watching. I am pretty sure I do not like it though.

The only reason I keep on watching is to determine why this thing even exists. How am I supposed to enjoy it?

Depends on whether you like the large cast of characters and enjoy seeing how most of their lives actually intersect. Bunch of twists in there, too.

I did not like it at all either, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom