• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

Tatami Galaxy ep.1-6
Been watching this as part of the recent "Lets Watch" and ut's been pretty fun so far with episode 6 absolutely killing it with the comedy parts. I like the mix of sophmoric humor, with insane visuals, as well as with the re-occuring events (that damn rip-off fortune teller, lol)

Pretty good stuff. Maybe he'll take the right path by the end.

Shame the topic isn't visited that often :(.

I'll post something tonight, have to watch episode 6 and 7 to catch up. Also my thoughts on episode 5 as well. I don't know about you, but the imagery kinda speaks volumes. There's not much to really comment on except this is good. Well at least that's how I feel about this show.

Szadek

I bought the first volume of the Sailor Moon manga since reading 18 volumes is most likely much less time consuming than watching 200 episodes.
Maybe I will watch the anime at some point,but the length and amount of filler doesn't make the series all that appealing to me.

Peco

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first. I'll fit movies in later too.

Winter
Plan on watching:
  • Konosuba
  • Rakugo
  • Sekkou Boys
  • Teekyu S7
In Progress:
  • Erased
  • Phantom World
Finished:
  • Dagashi Kashi
  • Yamishibai S3
Spring
Plan on watching:
  • Kuromukuro
    [*]Re:Zero
In Progress:
  • Flying Witch
  • Flying Witch Petit
  • Gyakuten Saiban
  • Hundred
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Dimaond is Unbreakable
  • Joker Game
  • Kiznaiver
  • Macross Δ
  • Sakamoto
Finished:
  • Bungou Stray Dogs
  • Concrete Revolution: The Last Song
  • Kabaneri
  • Kagewani: Shou
  • Luluco
  • Mayoiga
  • My Hero Academia
  • Seisen Cerberus
Summer
Plan on watching:
  • Battery
In Progress:
  • 91 Days
  • Amanchu!
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • New Game
  • ReLife
  • Show by Rock!! Short
Finished:
  • Berserk
Fall
Plan on watching:
  • 3gatsu
    [*]Brave Witches
    [*]Bungou Stray Dogs 2
    [*]Izetta
    [*]Show by Rock!! s2
Please do consider watching Bonobono, DJ Agetaro and Aggressive Retsuko

Cornbread78

Please do consider the one anime with a 100% approval rating Nurse Witch Komugi-chan R.

LOL, yeah, from the 5 people that have watched it here.

If you notice the number went up from 4 since someone else did watch it over the summer, lol.

In other news, are you posting the new thread on Friday night, before the shows start airing, or Sat. morning?

Baalzebup

Macross Delta END

Sigh.
So they resolved only the most immediate conflict and addressed next to nothing where it comes to the future. The action side offered some good stuff and the vocal pieces were decent, but for a final episode this was just lackluster. While it was more or less necessary for what they were gunning for, the episode spent too much time in naked-space. I guess we celebrate that the "triangle" was actually resolved, but it really wasn't that much of a one in the first place.

Keiths masterplan was
more, or less, an adaptation of what Grace intended. He simply didn't have a whiff of the villainous charisma Grace displayed at certain moments. The weird thing was using Proto-culture shit to enable a thing that also relied so heavily on the Vajra fold-bacteria, as Frontier established the Vajra as a race more or less independent of the Proto-culture shenanigans.

What kind of power did the supposedly strategic weapons -grade Star Singer have in the past when most of the sentient races weren't connected with zero space-time-lag enabling antenna-bacteria? And actually, why do the Windies have fold quartz in their runes in the first place, as mentioned in ep 19, when it is a substance produced and processed by the Vajra withing their own bodies, with stuff from dead stars as the base material.

Not a bad series as such, but I simply cannot help comparing this to the generally superior Frontier.

I ended up loving tonkatsu dj agetarou but it's a show that would have greatly benefited from a bigger soundtrack. Instead it recycled the same song for 95% of the show. It's a great song and all, but I wanted to listen to more

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I ended up loving tonkatsu dj agetarou but it's a show that would have greatly benefited from a bigger soundtrack. Instead it recycled the same song for 95% of the show. It's a great song and all, but I wanted to listen to more
That's pretty much what nightclubs are like though

SHarris78

Recommendations needed please.

I finished Flying Witch a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm in the midst of Non Non Byori (spelling?) and am really enjoying that. I've also watched the first episode of Amanchu which seems like it could be decent. Basically I'm looking for some SOLs that are relaxing - having nice feels would also be nice.

I finished Flying Witch a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm in the midst of Non Non Byori (spelling?) and am really enjoying that. I've also watched the first episode of Amanchu which seems like it could be decent. Basically I'm looking for some SOLs that are relaxing - having nice feels would also be nice.
Tanaka-kun is always listless would fit what you want!

Hidamari Sketch, Barakamon, Encouragement of Climb, Locodol, Kiniro Mosaic, Yuyushiki, K-On, Lucky Star and Ah! My Goddess

Oh, and Aria.

Cornbread78

Barakamon
Working
Usagi Drop
New Game
Himoto! Umari Chan
Servant x Service

Cornbread78

Anime friends, I'm dead set on not having to spend January vetting stuff for AOTY so I'm making a list of shows from this season to see what I should check out yet (or finish) for these purposes. I don't care to hear about what I shouldn't watch and am far more interested in what I might be missing. Shounen S2s need not apply. Nor should Euphonium S2 since I haven't watched the first. I'll fit movies in later too.

Out of your list, I would say give the below a watch or definitely finish:

Konosuba
Rakugo*
Erased
Kuromukuro*
Re:Zero
Flying Witch
Kiznaiver
Orange
91 Days
Mob Psycho 100*
New Game

* I need to finish/watch these myself at some point.

Line_HTX

Should probably put it up on Saturday since that's the first day of the Autumn anime season, or the day when the first new airing begins.

Line_HTX

You could go with Please Tell Me, Galko-chan or New Game.

SHarris78

Thanks for the recommendations guys. New Game was another I've watched and enjoyed. I should have also said I only have access to Crunchyroll.

Szadek

Heartcatch Precure - Ep. 40
The first villain bites the dust.
I'm going to miss Sasorina, she was a really fun character to have around.
Well, at least she got a pretty good final battle as a farewell gift.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

If you like Amanchu, watch Aria. If you've seen Aria, then watch Tamayura. If you've seen Tamayura, then go deeper into SatoJun and watch One Off, Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth, or Umi Monogatari.

blurr

Durarara!! 1 - 3

I am not sure what I am watching. I am pretty sure I do not like it though.

The only reason I keep on watching is to determine why this thing even exists. How am I supposed to enjoy it?

Interesting and fun cast full of personality, it is always amusing to see them interact. It's slow to start but over time each of the characters land a decent impression to add weight to even the simplest interactions.

Orihara Izaya is one of the more interesting characters. I like his perspective of things, he more or less sees people as individual works of art in the way they live, behave etc. on that note, the show plays on the humans and monsters theme with surreal characters and abilities. It's interesting to see that the most sane/grounded humane characters of the show are not humans at all and vice versa which begs to ask the question about what it is meant to be human or a monster.

Does Tamayura improve? When I first watched it ages ago when it first aired it felt like an even slower SoL anime than I'm used to and I dropped it after about 4 episode but I see a lot of people recommending it.

I've no problem with cute girls doing cute things but I didn't find the hook here.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does Tamayura improve? When I first watched it ages ago when it first aired it felt like an even slower SoL anime than I'm used to and I dropped it after about 4 episode

I've no problem with cute girls doing cute things but I didn't find the hook here.
I mean, the first real season is about the other girls and how they try to find their place in life, but the next season goes back to Fu-chan dealing with the ghost of her dead dad, just like the OVAs. Of course photographs are like the most mono no aware objects possible since they freeze moments in the past and allow you to reminisce about them in the future, so you can imagine how a dead dad being a photographer would tie into the main character wanting to be a photographer to chase the fleeting memories of her father.

I guess it boils down to - do you find stories about a girl dealing with the death of a parent in a therapeutic and healthy manner in the context of a 4-girls moe show to be an interesting idea?

Jarmel

Banned
Flip Flappers is going to live or die on that script.

That and the non-sakuga moments where I have to be subjected to those awful character designs.

I didn't know that the hype for Flip Flappers is huge. Can't wait for its premiere.

Also, I wonder how Izetta will end up being. Seems it has some good staff behind it but an awful writer.

I'm not as specifically concerned about Izetta's writing because I don't trust any anime writer to consistently write good scripts. That said, the premise of Izetta is rather dubious so I will be approaching it with caution.

Flip Flappers is going to live or die on that script.

That and the non-sakuga moments where I have to be subjected to those awful character designs.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the designs either. The proportions are all out of wack.

JulianImp

Zaregoto looks so much like a Monogatari that the wait for Zoku Owari is tolerable.

You actually mean Owari(下)and later, right? I think only the first two Owari books (out of three) have been adapted so far. Then there's Zoku, Nade, Oroka and I don't know what else.

I've actually just picked a copy up at a Book Off earlier today, and am still on the hunt for cheap-ish copies of the remaining novels, which tend to be in the ¥960-1350 range.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm not as specifically concerned about Izetta's writing because I don't trust any anime writer to consistently write good scripts. That said, the premise of Izetta is rather dubious so I will be approaching it with caution.

Well Yoshino (Guilty Crown, Qwaser of Stigmata) is in the special tier of shitty anime writers so my faith in how Izetta will turn out is especially low.

Yeah, I'm not too fond of the designs either. The proportions are all out of wack.

It brings back memories of Shana. Those eyes...

The designs in Flip Flappers look fine for what the show is. A fun and wacky magical girl adventure show.

I'm not sure what the worry about the script is for. What else has the writer worked on?

Chase17

Mob 12
Another great episode. They did a good job of wrapping up many of the various character's storylines and showing their development of the series.

There were some scenes that made it seem like a second season is planned.

Reigen the goat.

Qurupeke

Mob Psycho 100 [END]
NmVEY7L.jpg
Reigen 1000%

Such an amazing show and a very good finale. Season 2 when.

Wanderer5

Mob Psycho 100 #12 END

Reigen is boss. Holy crap did he drag them off their high horses lol

AOTY for me definitely at this point. I shall look forward to the likely season 2.

Also apparently ONE was a key animator for the last scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom