• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Mob Psycho 12

So maybe I overshot a bit with my writeup on the characters for the last episode (which... maybe I shouldn't have taken the cliffhanger at face value given how those keep turning out), but I don't think I was necessarily that far off. Things worked out for now, but at some point Mob is going to have to learn how to make his own decisions.

Anyway, it was still an awesome episode. Not as jaw-dropping as episode 8, but probably the most experimental one in terms of using unusual art styles and techniques.

Definitely my favorite series of the year so far.

Mob Psycho 12 END

I guess this serves as a nice confirmation that I don't get ONE at all. Both of his works seem to want to have the cake but eat it as well. They want to make fun of shounen tropes but at the same time they're entrenched itself in shounen story conventions. It kills and kind of stakes and tensions in the story, leaving only comedy in their wake, well if one can call it that cause One's take on it here made me crack the smile only ever so often, particularly outside of the middle of the show. Meh

I don't think ONE minds that he made a shounen story that relies on some of those conventions. It's hard to imagine that his use of them here and in One Punch Man is an accident.

They're both shounen stories with atypical protagonists. Those protagonists subvert some shounen cliches and provide a source of humor, but they don't transform the genre of the story completely. Here, by casting the hero as someone without ambition or confidence, who is deeply apprehensive about his power, it decouples his character progression from power progression, and communicates a different set of values about what it means to mature than most other shounen shows.

It's not coincidental that, while Mob sometimes fights back against his enemies, the fights he really "wins" are the ones where he never attacks. Having a base invasion arc with fights against a bunch of other henchmen plays against that a bit, but I don't think it actually undercuts the message.

I think One Punch Man suffered more from this issue, since when the rest of the cast is involved it plays very, very straight. Maybe the original webcomic doesn't have this problem to the same extent.

TUSR

Banned
Pls tell me what shows you are all planning to watch this fall so I can make an ot that reflects the tastes of the community

I'm not making a poll this season.

And anyone who wants to write a quick summary for a particular show let me know here, pm, twitter, etc

Pls tell me what shows you are all planning to watch this fall so I can make an ot that reflects the tastes of the community
We talked about it a few pages ago so I will just quote my post:
Was waiting to get home from college to sit down and jot down what I am planning on watching:

For sure:
- 3-gatsu no Lion
- Fune wo Amu
- Haikyuu S3
- Euphonium S2
- Gundam IBO S2
- Occultic;Nine

Will wait on impressions:
- Classicaloid
- Monster Hunter Stories
- Shuumatsu no Izetta
- Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari
- WWW.WORKING!!
- Pokemon Sun & Moon

Gaming wise I have Trails of Cold Steel 2 to beat, as well as SMTIV Apocalypse. Then in November Pokemon Moon and FFXV. Oh and I guess I have college to worry about too.

I should uh... be fine.

Just T

Re:Zero: 21-25

All done with this now. The last couple of episodes turned out pretty good. After finishing the whale arc, you know Crusch is a pretty good character, she should probably win instead of Emilia. I also enjoyed the quick development they built up between Subaru, Julius, and Felis. Really glad for one Subaru didn't get a temper when talking to Julius. That scene at the end of episode 23 was really good on all fronts and also props to voice work there with Subaru. Emilia got to show off some skills in that ep too so that was a little neat. As for where the season ended I though it was alright, obviously the story isn't finished and wasn't going to be. Would have like some of the earlier characters to have one more appearance but it's all good.

Overall, Re:Zero turned out to be one of my favorite anime watched so far this year; it's not perfect but it was really enthralling. Subaru is an intriguing character, he was annoying at times and incredibly frustrating at others lol but he had some pretty good development along his despairful journey. Still think his attachment to Emilia is bewildering but whatever. Rem was great, Wilhelm was too, etc. and of course Patrasche which constantly made me think of the leapers from Jak 3. What a ride.

Gvitor

And anyone who wants to write a quick summary for a particular show let me know here, pm, twitter, etc

What do you mean shows?

GAF is only watching euphonium next season

Cornbread78

• Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season
  • Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou
  • Occultic;Nine
  • Drifters
  • Hibike! Euphonium 2
  • Keijo!!!!!!!!
  • Yuri!!! on Ice
  • 3-gatsu no Lion
  • Natsume Yuujinchou Go
  • Shuumatsu no Izetta
  • Ajin 2nd Season
  • All Out!!
  • WWW.Working!!
  • Fune wo Amu
  • Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
  • Brave Witches
  • Luger Code 1951
  • Flip Flappers
  • ClassicaLoid

These are the ones people have mentioned multiple times as being interested in. There may be a couple more, but these are probably the most popular...

I sparingly post because I have 5 design projects on the go right now.

I'll catch up when I get home later today. I just wanted to top of page that post so that others would post.
If you don't see a lot of responses maybe try and click on my post to go back. Quite a few folks actually talked about stuff they were looking forward to as well.

Although as per usual Narag's list is:

Flip Flappers
Classicaloid
Matoi the Sacred Slayer
Brave Witches

TUSR

Banned
If you don't see a lot of responses maybe try and click on my post to go back. Quite a few folks actually talked about stuff they were looking forward to as well.

Although as per usual Narag's list is:
Thanks fam.

Season starts Saturday according to Cornbread, I'll have the OT up before then.

Exalted

-Gundam IBO S2
-Bungou Stray Dogs S2
-Shuumatsu no Izetta
-Keijo
-Drifters
-Occultic Nine
-Brave Witches
-Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku

Fall watchlist:

Brave Witches
3-gatsu no Lion
Bloodivores
Bubuki Buranki: Hoshi no Kyojin
Drifters
Fune wo Amu
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Girlish Number
Idol Memories
Keijo!!!!!!!!
Lostorage incited WIXOSS
Long Riders!
Okada Gundam S2
Monster Hunter Stories: RIDE ON
Occultic;Nine
Show By Rock S2
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Stella no Mahou
WWW.WORKING!!
Yuri on Ice
ViVid Strike!

Cornbread78

Here's 4 that I'm looking forward to:

Occultic;Nine:
The "paranormal science" story follows nine idiosyncratic individuals, linked by the "Chōjō Kagaku Kirikiri Basara" occult summary blog run by 17-year-old second-year high school student Yūta Gamon. Little incongruities that occur around these nine eventually lead to a larger, unimaginable event that may alter what is considered common sense in this world.

March Comes in Like a Lion (3-gatsu no Lion):
Rei Kiriyama is a 17-year-old boy who recently started living alone, financed by his salary as a professional Shogi player. His relationship with his adoptive family is strained, and he has difficulties interacting with his fellow high school students. Meanwhile, his professional career has entered a slump. Burdened with the heavy expectations placed on him as the fifth to become pro in middle school, his wins and losses are fluctuating as his record and progression into the ranks begin to stagnate.. This is the story of Rei's triumphs and failures, relationships new and old, and his growth as a person.

Magical Girl Raising Project: (Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku)
The highly popular social network game "Magical Girl Raising Project" is a miraculous game that produces real Magical Girls with a chance of 1 in 10000 for each person. Girls who are lucky enough to gain the power of magic spend fulfilling days. But one day, the administration arbitrarily announces that "There are too many magical girls so they will be halved." The curtain will now be raised on the relentless and merciless survival game between 16 magical girls.

Izetta, The Last Witch (Shuumatsu no Izetta):
If I am promised to the princess, then I will fight for her sake.
In 1939 C.E., the imperialist nation of Germania invaded a neighboring country. All at once, that war spread throughout Europe, and the era was dragged into a spiral of a great war.
Then, in 1940, Germania's attack turned towards the Principality of Elystadt, a small Alps country abundant with beautiful water and greenery.

Exalted

Only realised a few minutes ago when checking the fall anime list, that there are actually 2 different witches with guns shows based in the 40's, airing next season. Wonder which will be better.

zulux21

shows I will for sure be watching the first episode of

3-gatsu no Lion
ALL OUT!!
Drifters
Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou
Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku
Occultic;Nine
TRICKSTER: Edogawa Rampo "Shounen Tantei-dan" yori
Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

shows I am keeping an eye on and will watch if its reception seems decent
Bloodivores
FLIP FLAPPERS
Fune wo Amu
Luger Code 1951
Nanbaka
Shuumatsu no Izetta
Yuri!!! on ICE

shows that I haven't decided if I want to check out, or just make me sad they exist.
ClassicaLoid

Wanderer5

Hibike! Euphonium S2
Bungou Stray Dogs S2
Classicaloid
Shuumatsu no Izetta
3-gatsu no Lion

Shall see how Izetta and Classicaloid does in particular.

Okay think that is it an- wait Luger Code 1951 is a post WWII era like setting that has werewolves? Well shit I might be game for that (doesn't seem like a actual full series through?).

Cornbread78

Flip Flappers
Papika and Cocona hold the keys to open the door. When the two girls meet, their adventures in a different time and different overlapping dimension called "Pure Illusion" begin. Many things in Pure Illusion will stand in the girls' way on their search for the mysterious crystal called the "Shard of Mimi," an item that is said to grant any wish. However, when the girls find themselves in danger, the Shard of Mimi shines, and they are able to transform.

ClassicaLoid
In a rural town undergoing revival through music, high school students Kanae and Sousuke meet none other than Beethoven and Mozart! Calling themselves "ClassicaLoids," this mysterious duo creates a strange power through the "music" they play. One night, stars fall from the sky and gigantic robots appear, causing trouble every single day! Bach, Chopin, Schubert also appear as ClassicaLoids. What is the mystery behind the powers they possess? Are they humanity's friend or foe?

What are the cute girl shows next season?

Brave Witches: Cute Girls, Who fly and only wear panties (assuming they don't change the formula from BW)
Girlish Number: Cute Girls, Who are trying to go into the VA/Idol industry.
Long Riders!: Cute Girls, Who ride bikes.
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume: Cute Girls who play Ping Pong.
Stella no Mahou: Cute Girls, who make Doujin Video Games

But it says that both shows are original and not based on anything ?

One is a show about a group of cute girls doing cute things and fighting aliens.

The other is a serious show about one magical girl fighting in WWII.

Having watched both seasons of Strike Witches and the movie, I can tell there's going to be a clear difference.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Sorry, I really thought you said you wanted to do the Autumn thread because of a particular show. If it really ends up being too much bother I could try whipping something up last minute (most of my OTs pretty much are that anywho).

Line_HTX

I didn't know that the hype for Flip Flappers is huge. Can't wait for its premiere.

Also, I wonder how Izetta will end up being. Seems it has some good staff behind it but an awful writer.

Hmm, I don't know what Flip Flappers is like, so I'll take a look.

What? Who's the writer? This better not overshadow the animation of this.

TUSR

Banned
Sorry, I really thought you said you wanted to do the Autumn thread because of a particular show. If it really ends up being too much bother I could try whipping something up last minute (most of my OTs pretty much are that anywho).
Euriphonium lives on.

I think we only discussed the summer season because I wanted to make a Prisma Illya focused OT. But that would have gotten me banned.

I'll whip something up by Friday, appreciate the offer.

Qurupeke

Flying Witch 9
6nKNvgI.png
rHnMoKf.png
Akane is the best. Flying Witch is a better show than I thought at first.

Hmm, I don't know what Flip Flappers is like, so I'll take a look.

What? Who's the writer? This better not overshadow the animation of this.

Hiroyuki Yoshino.

Not exactly an official announcement but...

https://twitter.com/kixyuubann/status/777786198097924097?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

we could have a 3rd season of GITS SAC in our hands.

Commercially speaking, it would make sense to make it together the cinema release of the Hollywood movie.

I would be cautious to read too much into that tweet. Kamiyama already has the Hirume Hime movie he's directing, so I doubt he has much free time to be personally involved in a SAC S3.

zulux21

Where are all the simulcast annoucements anyway?

We need a GAF-chan band member image for the OP,lol

to be fair they aren't really needed anymore.

there might be a show or two that viz gets, but at least for NA it's going to be all crunchyroll.
and then after a week or two we will likely head dub announcements from funimation.

kewlmyc

Can't say I'm looking forward to anything next season. Guess I'll just watch whatever gets good impressions after the first 3 weeks.

Cornbread78

to be fair they aren't really needed anymore.

there might be a show or two that viz gets, but at least for NA it's going to be all crunchyroll.
and then after a week or two we will likely head dub announcements from funimation.

True, but what day and what time (na/eu/worldwide) would be good to hear/confirm.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm gonna laugh when Re:Zero wins the GAF AotY and the vocal minority of people who hate it freak out.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, those will be the MHA and Erased "haters" that start flipping tables since both were really popular with the more "casual" viewer.

I dunno, Re:Zero seemed more generally popular than either of those, particularly MHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom