• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

Actual anime of the year. All other anime I've watched and haven't watched cannot compare and I am ruined for the rest of the year. What do I do with myself? How can I go on without more Towa, Millium, Sara and Laura?

I feel kind of empty now that I've finished it too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If we're talking about the real best anime of the year that's a video game the clear winner is Idol Emblem, aka Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE Sharp.

Cornbread78

Code Geass R2 ep.8
(42).jpg

These are his "three court ladies" lololol. I had a good laugh at the way Zero played the Brittianian's this time with his million Zero march... That was excellent...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Code Geass R2 ep.8
(42).jpg

These are his "three court ladies" lololol. I had a good laugh at the way Zero played the Brittianian's this time with his million Zero march... That was excellent...

Even just a random still you found an ass shot. S2 delivers. Move to a kid friendly time slot? Nothing trumps the rump.

I don't even know how yall are playing Trails of Cold Steel, who only releases games on a vita or ps3 nowadays, what is this the 1950s?

Mob Pycho 112 Dalmatians: End of Dalmatians I'm getting Pongo neutered

Beautiful to look at but I gotta admit the more
comedic
ending to the fight isn't the most hype way to finish off a show with battles. Reigen is a fantastic character and all though. Definitely will be my AOTY, but the finale compared to how much I loved the OPM one is a bit weaker. Visually it was amazing though.

D.Gray-Man Hallow END

A great ending! All those nice feeling made me happy. Hoping for more, but at the speed those chapters are coming out I'm not expecting anything soon.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Going into the Arise movie, I'm left underwhelmed even if Arise wasn't complete trash. The four OVA episodes instead just ranged from bad to mediocre. That said, I have a better impression due to the Alternative Architecture episodes as those felt like really good SAC episodes. Altogether though, Psycho-Pass was better.
As someone who never watched SAC and just the two movies, I basically had the same feeling about Arise. It's "fine" and I don't undestand why everyone hates it.

That said, there's no way Psycho-Pass is better, unless something happens after episode 5 that changed it into something amazing. lol

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Future - 12 (END)

... what was this.
Mitarai just "did" a Nagito, Tengan decided that killing the leaders of the organization he founded to spread hope would erase despair and force hope into society and...
I no longer know anything. I'm at a loss for words. Please give me Hope, let this end on a better note than this and than Despair (that one was still worse) and focus on that new saga/V3. I'm speechless.

Mob Psycho 100 - 12 (END)

At least we had this. Thought Re:Zero would be my AOTS pick after watching its final episode. Thought Mob wouldn't surpass it.

It probably did.

It wasn't exactly what I was expecting after last episode but Reigen's fight, just like himself, was just amazing. And it was positive they answered some lingering but small questions.
May read the webcomic but with this one, I just want a second season. This one was great. Picking a AOTY will be somewhat hard. At least this one will be running for that title.

Clov

Danganronpa 3: Future Arc 12

This anime is really, really silly. I'm still having fun with it though.

Why didn't Tengan just steal Mitarai's phone instead of starting up a killing game? Or, more reasonably, just ask him to show the video and tell him about how it will be his chance to redeem himself? I bet he would have done it! It would have been a lot less roundabout than forcing your comrades to murder each other.

At the very least, it's nice to see Ryota happy and determined for once! It was about time he stopped being so gloomy.

one of these days the guy protagonist will just push the girl on the bed and grope her not by accident and all the man children in Japan will be like "THATS NOT KAWAII 0/10 BLAM THIS FILTH"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
one of these days the guy protagonist will just push the girl on the bed and grope her not by accident and all the man children in Japan will be like "THATS NOT KAWAII 0/10 BLAM THIS FILTH"

I'm actually watching that show right now, It's Tenchi Muyo:War on Geminar.

It's hypnosis though.

Tuck

Mob Psycho 100 - 12
I don't know what I expected. Lol. Definitely wasn't Reigen deflecting all their attacks and lecturing them.

Not what I expected but I enjoyed it, though it wasn't as crazy as OPM's last episode.

Cornbread78

Lol, yeah, not homna happen, lol.

I'm actually watching that show right now, It's Tenchi Muyo:War on Geminar.

It's hypnosis though.

I only watched episode 1 so far. I guess the show goes places then, lol.

Celcius

°Temp. member
New Game! Episode 12 End

I really enjoyed the show, much because I'm a software developer myself (though not a game developer). It was really cool to see the payoff at the end after everyone's hard work. I hope there's a season 2!

Quasar

That just reminds me of how Ikki in Failed Knight handled it. Admittedly it wasn't groping it was walking in in someone changing.

Gvitor

Garden of words

I may or may not have developed a feet fetish

if that scene went for a little longer Nise would've had a competitor

I really liked it. I do wish for more conclusive endings in Shinkai's movies though.
Let's show a happy couple once in a while, please. Timeskip this shit if necessary.

Taruranto

DR Future #12

You did Kodaka! You beat R07 AND Uchikoshi on who could come up with a worse solution to a story.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II

Actual anime of the year. All other anime I've watched and haven't watched cannot compare and I am ruined for the rest of the year. What do I do with myself? How can I go on without more Towa,

She's in Tokyo Xanadu and I can only guess she's on fast track to become Falcom Lighting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compile_Heart

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Danganronpa 3 Future 12

there's gotta be a punchline here, the endings of both games were amazing, i was always thinking how the ending of this would turn tables but now i think i'll get disappointment instead

there's one episode left, fingers crossed

D.Gray-Man Hallow END

A great ending! All those nice feeling made me happy. Hoping for more, but at the speed those chapters are coming out I'm not expecting anything soon.

Yeah. it's pretty crazy that even after 8 years since the original Anime ended they had only material for 13 episodes season. Gonna take looong time for continuation if there will be one.

Articalys

http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-967203/

Like they did for the current season, Crunchyroll is doing another live announcement rollout for their titles for the Fall season, tomorrow at 7pm PDT. Also, remember that their partnership with Funimation will take full effect starting with this season, so no more worrying which shows will end up on which service; this also means some of the shows will be getting broadcast dubs, though that's up to Funi to announce on their own time.

Actually, when you think about it, since combined they pretty much covered 99% of shows this season, is there really a point to this besides "here's what Amazon/Netflix don't have"?

Cornbread78

This statement is suspect considering you watch Masou Gakuen HxH.

The greatest hero of all time, Ousawa Akatsuki, does nothing accidentally.

I still have to finish both Rogue Hero and HxH, lol. HxH is terrible though...

Rather liked that series. Probably my favourite Tenchi, though maybe because it was my first.

Nice, the episodes are just as long as Katanagatari though, lol.

Kaze no Stigma ep.2
6g8aZH.gif

Well, the escalation continues, along with the death count. Dude had a rough childhood for sure, but who is this new enemy? Red-headed maiden is quite tge charmer, lol.

JulianImp

Danganronpa 3 Future 12

there's gotta be a punchline here, the endings of both games were amazing, i was always thinking how the ending of this would turn tables but now i think i'll get disappointment instead

there's one episode left, fingers crossed

Let's have Junk-o hijack the plot from the dead again, fight an epic battle of wits with Hinata/Izuru and Makoto, and then have both the 77th and 78th class students show up in the last five minutes to finally put a stop to zombie robot ghost AI Junk-o and her despair-filling plans of upupupu.

Or even better, let's have the whole episode be an actual brainwashing video that removes all memories from having ever watched DR3.

ibyea

Banned
Mob Psycho 100: 11-12
Definitely my favorite anime of the season. Reigen is such an interesting character.

91 Days: 9-11
Angelo's revenge plan at the end, that is some ice cold betrayal. The other two episodes showed just how much he didn't give a damn what it costs him to get his revenge. You know what? I goddamn love this anime even if it's nothing special.

Alderamin in the Sky: 6-12
Overall an entertaining show that shows many aspects of warfare. Also, having followed the Syrian civil war closely, I am not surprised by the sheer incompetence of officers at all.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I realized about a week ago that all the animu's I watched this month had a theme.

I started by rewatching Full Metal Panic and Fumoffu and watching all of The Second Raid for the first time. Then I watched Gundam AGE and Build Fighters Try. Then to mix things up and get away from Robbits I decided to watch Tenchi Muyo:War on Geminar to mix things up.

It opens with a Giant Robbit fight.

Line_HTX

Pls tell me what shows you are all planning to watch this fall so I can make an ot that reflects the tastes of the community

I'm not making a poll this season.

And anyone who wants to write a quick summary for a particular show let me know here, pm, twitter, etc

I'm going to go in order of what's listed in Anichart from top to bottom what I think are worth checking out at least.

• March Comes In Like a Lion - Animated by SHAFT, pro player who hasn't matured emotionally and soon it starts affecting his wins and losses. I'll give this art style and characters another chance, since the circumstances are much different than Your Whiplash In April.
  • ALL OUT!! - It's not the American Football anime that I want, but this rugby will do. Also, I haven't seen a Madhouse show in a long time.
  • ClassicaLoid - Name dropping Beethoven and Franz Schubert with Tomokazu Sugita as Beethoven? And having Sunrise do this music anime? The PV2 sold me on it.
  • Drifters - Been waiting for this adaptation since the art is done by Kouta Hirano, most famous for Hellsing.
  • FLIP FLAPPERS - This looks like some magical girl stuff. I'll give Studio 3Hz another chance to redeem themselves from the stupid disaster that was Dimension W.
  • The Great Passage - From all the PV's shown in this thread, it looks like people interaction at a publishing company between someone who's on the verge of retiring and a new recruit. Work setting is always a plus. Apparently this has a live action movie too.
  • Sound! Euphonium S2 - The time to solidify and finish KyoAni's comeback has finally arrived.
  • Keijo!!!!!!!! - Gambling in professional backstory knockoffs is ass.
  • Magical Girl Raising Project - How to solve the problem of magical energy if you must go from 16 magical girls to 8? This better be a murderous battle of survival to get into Top 8.
  • Occultic;Nine - Nine people are connected by an occult blog, and it might have a supernatural event that may defy explanation? It even has the Steins;Gate logo, and I hope A-1 Pictures makes it look good.
  • Izetta, Die Letzte Hexe - Alternate WW2 history with a witch flying her giant rifle like a broom, eh? Good cast, good animation based on all the PV's with all the flying and bombings, and starts immediately on Saturday morning.

Quasar

Pls tell me what shows you are all planning to watch this fall so I can make an ot that reflects the tastes of the community

And anyone who wants to write a quick summary for a particular show let me know here, pm, twitter, etc

Natsume S5
Yuriphonium S2
The Great Passage

That might be all.

Possibly watching
March Comes in like a Lion
The Great Passage
Girlish Number
Hibike! Euphonium 2
Magic of Stella
Maybe that Udon show
And Teekyuu 8 I guess

ibyea

Banned

Sound Euphonium
March Comes in Like a Lion
Yuri on Ice
The Great Passage
Occultic; Nine

I will pick up more if there are good impressions.

Jex

I'm gonna laugh when Re:Zero wins the GAF AotY and the vocal minority of people who hate it freak out.

That kind of show winning hasn't happened for a while. If Attack on Titan or Kill la Kill couldn't win, I find it unlikely that Re:Zero will.

Actually, this year will be pretty interesting all around.

The 'popular vote' will be split between like Re:Zero, Erased, MHA and JoJo's.

The 'critic' vote is more likely to be split between Mob Psycho 100, Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū, Euphonium S2 (assuming its as good), and also JoJo's.

I'm gonna laugh when Re:Zero wins the GAF AotY and the vocal minority of people who hate it freak out.
Attack on Titan didn't win on gaf and that was like the hottest shit since canned butter rolls.

One Punch Man won because it was popular and even outside of that enough regular Anime viewers thought there wasn't something better that year or they outright liked it.

Re:Zero is nowhere near the popularity of either of those shows in GAF. Itll likely rank in top 10 though. If this was a more general Internet AOTY thread it might win.

Right now the more concerned I'm being is if enough folks even cared about Moh Psycho 100 or 91 Days so it ranks.

Edit: you guys really think enough people remember erased fondly where the popular vote will go towards it. The OT had plenty of folks turn on it by the end.

Rakugo will likely get a heavy thread push at first but if a show we don't want to win seems to be getting the lead I can see folks rallying behind mob psycho 100 as it's likely the "critical show" with the most chance to win with OT support.

I'll just be glad if enough people watch Tonkatsu DJ regardless if they vote for it. While not #1 worthy it was stylistically fantastic. It looked like an old MTV show at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom