• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danganronpa 3 Future 01

I remember I liked the mystery of what was happening outside of the school more than when it was finally revealed. Dunno if I'll stick around for this.

Jintor

This isn't strictly related since he's not a homeroom teacher, but also bear in mind that teacher responsibilities in Japan are a bit different to the west, and can have more to do with student's actual lives sometimes.

Slayers 1

This sure is the 1990s. In so many ways.

This might upset any old-school fans of Megumi Hayashibara, but I'm not a fan of the voice she's using for Lina Inverse. It's too pinched for my liking. That would be my main complaint. Otherwise this seems like innocuous cartoon goofiness.

Did the girl admit that she only set this up because she wanted to eat vegetables and needed someone, anyone to cut for her?

That part made me lol and confused me.

I think she admitted it makes it seem like she's using him and apologized, but I'm sure the real reason is that she's deathly lonely in there and found two people she could have an excuse to spend time with.

This isn't strictly related since he's not a homeroom teacher, but also bear in mind that teacher responsibilities in Japan are a bit different to the west, and can have more to do with student's actual lives sometimes.
Onizuka taught me you gotta fight for your students.

ibyea

Banned
Well even in this current episode one of the older teachers/staff members say that nowadays it is highly uncommon but that back in his days teachers used to regularly go to have dinner with students and family members. Papa sensei also tries to not make it weird by attempting to meet the mom to see if she was fine with him and his daughter cooking dinner with her daughter.

It's by no means a regular premise but in the realm of Anime where Japan is packed to the brim with high schools for super powered students this isn't so bad.

Heh, your last sentence sure do put things into perspective.

jgminto

Never got the hate for it. It's just dumb fun and had some good action. Wasn't even the worst Gundam show to air that season.

First season is definitely better though.
Almost all of the new cast are cliches that have no effort put in to develop them past that. The action is much worse than the original, there was nothing memorable compared to the heights of the first season like Fellini and Meijin. Over the first season, the relationships between friends and rivals were developed as it progressed, Try introduced and forgot rivals within fortnights and barely developed any friendships. There's barely any investment in Try as a team, Sei and Reiji start as strangers but become true friends as they share a goal and rivals. Sekai and Yuuma aren't friends, Fumina, Gyanko and Girl #3 have no reason to be as interested in Sekai as they are other than he's the protagonist. Try is awful and it ruined the goodwill I had for the series that provoked my interest in Gundam. Fuck Try.

Mailbox

Decided to actually finish up my current "watching" backlog by putting things "on hold" or actually finishing up. Going through Grimgar now.

Did the girl admit that she only set this up because she wanted to eat vegetables and needed someone, anyone to cut for her?

That part made me lol and confused me.

Its not the reason she set it up but rather the reason she wanted them to stay despite plans falling through. One part not wanting to eat alone, and another part being dependent.

I think she admitted it makes it seem like she's using him and apologized, but I'm sure the real reason is that she's deathly lonely in there and found two people she could have an excuse to spend time with.

It has more to do with her being alone at home
She actually does have friends
since her mom is away a lot.

Link Man

Banned
Sweetness and Lightning 2

PGM2ilT.gif

Squishy3

i still can't fucking handle that rie kugimiya is that black guy in danganronpa 3

still haven't watched it yet but i'm sure i'll just burst into uncontrollable laughter everytime she speaks

ibyea

Banned
Danganronpa 3 Future 01

I remember I liked the mystery of what was happening outside of the school more than when it was finally revealed. Dunno if I'll stick around for this.

Yeah what happened outside was never really as good as expectations. I am sticking around for the closure though and cross my fingers it doesn't really suck.

Moaradin

Almost all of the new cast are cliches that have no effort put in to develop them past that. The action is much worse than the original, there was nothing memorable compared to the heights of the first season like Fellini and Meijin. Over the first season, the relationships between friends and rivals were developed as it progressed, Try introduced and forgot rivals within fortnights and barely developed any friendships. There's barely any investment in Try as a team, Sei and Reiji start as strangers but become true friends as they share a goal and rivals. Sekai and Yuuma aren't friends, Fumina, Gyanko and Girl #3 have no reason to be as interested in Sekai as they are other than he's the protagonist. Try is awful and it ruined the goodwill I had for the series that provoked my interest in Gundam. Fuck Try.

I don't disagree with a lot of that yet I still enjoyed it for the most part ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jonjonaug

Danganronpa 3 Future 01: Kodaka is straight up cribbing from Zero Escape now...

I miss Monokuma's old VA, it's just not the same without her.

Squishy3

Yeah what happened outside was never really as good as expectations. I am sticking around for the closure though and cross my fingers it doesn't really suck.
Nothing could be worse than the complete nothingness that was Ultra Despair Girls, at the very least. Don't need to suffer through extremely average start and stop gameplay with an anime!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
OPM is probably more immediately filling though. Someone criticized Mob Psycho for missing that ephemeral hook and I'm given to agree. It's the most beautiful anime I've seen in years and it feels less narratively satisfying than Shinkai's incessant adolescent angst.

Mob Psych 100 Ep 1 is like the most exquisite piece of sushi, maybe seasonal uni, or high grade otoro, or something exotic like kobe beef, but you're ultimately left wondering where the rest of dinner is.

Eumi

From what I read of the manga Mob isn't exactly a greatly written story, but man can they do some awesome shit for it with the art direction they went with.

OPM is probably more immediately filling though. Someone criticized Mob Psycho for missing that ephemeral hook and I'm given to agree. It's the most beautiful anime I've seen in years and it feels less narratively satisfying than Shinkai's incessant adolescent angst.

Mob Psych 100 Ep 1 is like the most exquisite piece of sushi, maybe seasonal uni, or high grade otoro, or something exotic like kobe beef, but you're ultimately left wondering where the rest of dinner is.
Yeah the issue with the first episode is that as far as first episodes go it knocked it out of the park visually, but it didn't hook me with the premise. They even apparently had to add Anime original scenes to make it more exciting and a bigger hook?

Line_HTX

Macross Delta 13

DotkHvL.png

Dayum, I love the full version of Ichido Dake no Koi nara. And no stinking scratches from exploding debris on Mikumo's shoulder is going to stop her and Walkure from echoing through Freyja's shining rune!

Too bad there's no kill confirmed on the White Knight and that red-headed Edgelord.

Sucks that the squad have to abandon planet Ragna. At least they brought as many civilians with them as far away as possible through the jump point. Thankfully that old Windermerean got what he deserved.

duckroll

Mob Psych 100 Ep 1 is like the most exquisite piece of sushi, maybe seasonal uni, or high grade otoro, or something exotic like kobe beef, but you're ultimately left wondering what happened to your wallet.

Fixed.

ReZero 12-15

I didn't think they would top episode 7 but god damn. Making Subaru so scummy then mind breaking him and then killng best girl Rem in front of him after confessing her love. And then was that the witch? It can't be right? I mean the witch herself cursed Subaru so if she killed him in a timeline why revive him just to try and defeat her.

Damn this anime, too many feels and anger.

Probably AoTY now to be honest, that OST worked so well especially at the end of episode 15.

Jintor

I would think of doing that with a bread roll if I was just using a dull bread knife or something and it was a goddamn crossaint. crossoint. Crossaunt. French thing.

Ascheroth

I am? Damn. Being wrong sucks.
I know right.
ReZero 12-15

I didn't think they would top episode 7 but god damn. Making Subaru so scummy then mind breaking him and then killng best girl Rem in front of him after confessing her love. And then was that the witch? It can't be right? I mean the witch herself cursed Subaru so if she killed him in a timeline why revive him just to try and defeat her.

Probably AoTY now to be honest, that OST worked so well especially at the end of episode 15.
General consensus is that
it was Puck at the end.

zulux21

ReZero 12-15

re:zero stuffs
it's assumed that it was Puck and not the witch.
that being said if it is the witch everything lines up fine as well
Emilia would be her daughter, and thus she was upset that her daughter was killed.
and Subaru was killed because the witch knew that it was a way to revive her daughter and try to save her.

at no point have we clearly seen the witch is a bad person. The city paints her as a villain but that doesn't mean the witch isn't actually a good person who has had to do some bad things for the greater good.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Mob Psycho 100's first episode places a heavy emphasis on the relationship between Mob and his impostor mentor. I felt like there were a number of subtle cues that really establish why these two characters would be connected. As an introductory piece it establishes important characters and does a pretty good job of making them seem likable. There's also really solid work done for the setting. For me the draw is the contrast between this surreal spiritual world and what is essentially sort of an ugly picture of the real world. Even if these early storybeats are fairly straightforward there's already substance to the material.

blurr

wow, so much praise for Mob Psycho, not that I didn't expect it but I'm looking forward to watching tonight although I am a bit cautious of how its narrative is going to be

I kind of get the criticism towards OPM's visuals but I can't help but feel it is a bit too harsh but let me see Mob Psycho

zulux21

wow, so much praise for Mob Psycho, not that I didn't expect it but I'm looking forward to watching tonight although I am a bit cautious of how its narrative is going to be

I kind of get the criticism towards OPM's visuals but I can't help but feel it is a bit too harsh but let me see Mob Psycho

mob psycho's visuals are "art"
for better or worse.

at times it looked really cool. most of the time it did not to me though.

that being said I enjoyed the episode, would have much preferred an adaption more like OPM though.

blurr

mob psycho's visuals are "art"
for better or worse.

at times it looked really cool. most of the time it did not to me though.

that being said I enjoyed the episode, would have much preferred an adaption more like OPM though.

I can certainly see that, people have been going on and on with screen shots since last night on twitter

sonicmj1

That's basically the issue with reviewing shows episode by episode. A Shinkai movie is a complete story. Here, there's another 23 episodes of stuff to come.

I'm not saying this to excuse any and all pacing issues. But some stories require more space in order to develop than others. Mob Psycho's story doesn't exactly grab the viewer by the balls, but it's not spinning its wheels either. As dimb said, the episode painted a fairly rich picture of the relationship between Mob and Reigen, and it doesn't seem like the kind of relationship that's built to last in its current form. So I feel confident that something special can grow from this first episode, especially given the talent on display so far.

Puzzle and Dragons Cross 02

Wow Lance is actually a pretty badass Dragon Caller. Also like the fact he isn't being made out to be a total asshole.

Taboo Tattoo 02

I was curious about how the childhood friend was going to get involved in this story besides just being there ever so often. Can't say I have a problem with this method.

Mailbox

Grimgar 3-12(END)

Overall Grimgar is a treat. Not a perfect one, but its special in its own way. Fantasy world LN adaptations kind of have to or else they end up being generic and annoying. This one has a much higher focus on the team rather than a central character, and had the enemies feel like sentient being that were being hunted (basically, with the exception of death spot, all the kills felt like kills, not just defeating an enemy). Ranta is a piece of shit though (though that's kind of the point).

3 things that peeved me. The art style is... mixed in how its handled. There are times where its utterly gorgeous and works amazingly (these tend to be indoor shots), and times where it feels like someone took the first draft of some concept art (you know, the draft where you plan things out and test which colours to use) and said "yep, looks great". It didn't though; when those times happen, it feels lazy, like an excuse with getting away with poor detail. The second thing is the shipping teases. Its a bit of a pet peeve of mine when romantic subplots don't get resolved. Lots of shipping teases and nothing really happens. Why must anime blueball my need for complete romantic arcs so damn much. The 3rd and largest thing is the unneeded sexualization. The ass shots and slight peeks don't fit here AT ALL. It detoured and added nothing! It felt like someone just couldn't help themselves. That person needs to have a talking to. (I will say that there is one exception to this, which is the scene on the patio where Haruhiro and Merry are talking. But then that part of it corresponds to issues #2, so I'm still not happy.)

Overall I would recommend it. The artwork is jarring more than a few times, and there needless sexualization thrown in, but if you can get through that, you are in for a treat.

Thoraxes

Got some anime in!

Kofuku Graffiti makes my soul feel warm and at peace. Eupho is my lifeblood. Robo;Notes IT'S HAPPENING. Lucky Star I just had to. I also have Fractale coming soon too. Getting Lucky Star for $38 and Robo;Notes for like $18 was a steal. Good RS sale timing.

2016-07-1203.51.43bcxzi.jpg

And for Clov, it looks good. They are the BD masters; you can tell from cropping on certain episodes. Some of the shots where the 3D elements (bowls, etc) were not upscaled for some reason so there are a couple funky looking shots, but they are few in number. Also The blur effect when they go to the "shoujo-view" when they eat food is way more pronounced on this bluray version. I couldn't notice it before because of CR compression lol.

Mailbox

Sölf;209750257 said:
Guys, guys. I have only 1 more episode of Re: Zero. What do I do after I watched that? The suffering is real! :(

Watch it, and suffer more.
I'm using the remaining time to kill off my backlog I have. 4 more shows to go :) (well, I mean I only have 4 shows on my immediate backlog. There's a bunch I have on hold)

zulux21

Sölf;209750257 said:
Guys, guys. I have only 1 more episode of Re: Zero. What do I do after I watched that? The suffering is real! :(

watch that last episode because it makes up for eps 13 and 14...
and then watch something a little more light hearted like uh...
higurashi :p

note: technically higurashi does feel more lighthearted than episode 15 or re:zero, but is in no way a light hearted series.

T-Rex.

Banned
Sölf;209750257 said:
Volume 1 of the LN is out next week so you can go for even more suffering.

Sölf

watch that last episode because it makes up for eps 13 and 14...
and then watch something a little more light hearted like uh...
higurashi :p

note: technically higurashi does feel more lighthearted than episode 15 or re:zero, but is in no way a light hearted series.

I already watched that. :p
Well, at least the first 2 seasons. Starting with Rei it became pointless and shit.

Qurupeke

I read some posts earlier on how OPM's humor is better than Mob Psycho but I don't get it. Strictly comparing the first episodes, I think Mob has a lot more variety on its jokes. I don't think all the jokes worked perfectly, but it was effective.

Also, the art direction of the show is the best thing that happened to it. They could rework ONE's art and make it something "normal" but it'd certainly lose a lot of its charm. ONE's art is simple and/or rough, but it can also be spectacular at times. Murata's treatment was a great way exploiting it, and now Bones tries something different and makes it even more unique and they elevated it.

Jintor

sweetness and lightning 2

not much more to say than dawww.

Older teacher reminded me of old animation guy from shirobako.

Exalted

I read some posts earlier on how OPM's humor is better than Mob Psycho but I don't get it. Strictly comparing the first episodes, I think Mob has a lot more variety on its jokes. I don't think all the jokes worked perfectly, but it was effective.
Heh, people have different tastes in humor , comedy is subjective, not everyone finds the same thing funny. I personally found comedy to be the weakest thing in the Mob Psycho, would prefer the show much more if they focused less on it and more on the action and the physic abilities, which were the highlight of the show for me. And i don't think that that the jokes had more variety, i actually thought it was the opposite, shrug.

That's a rather harsh judgement. I certainly can't change your instinctual feelings, but from this opening episode I can't agree with you. It's true that it doesn't come out of the bat throwing out a dense thematic or character web. In that, perhaps it can come off as shallow compared to something like, say, Kyousougiga. But it successfully paints a picture of Mob and Reigen as multi-faceted, interesting characters with a somewhat complicated relationship. It's a more solid character foundation to build off of than the first episode of One Punch Man or Space Dandy, to compare it to two other animation showcase shows. I'm certainly more interested to see what becomes of Mob than I was with Saitama.

Heck, as far as providing a character foundation goes, I think this is more immediately interesting than the first episode of Hyouka, a show which took a fair bit of time to slowly develop its characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom