• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scar-red Rider XechS Episode 2 Combat Rock
CnL_bGBWYAA30hj.jpg:small

The cast is pretty nice and unique, I was expecting it to have someone super serious, but even their leader Takt is joking around and such. The beach scene was probably the best especially when they were talking about what was brought [by the way mushrooms are gross and dont belong in curry, sorry Yosuke]

I didnt know the girl they found last episode would actually be reformated into one of their instructors. I wonder if she will ever get her memories back and will crash or will she retain current memories too. At least Yosuke and Takt know

Mandelbo

Berserk 19

Guts broke Griffith! This genuinely feels like the first time something hasn't gone to plan for Griffith - I didn't expect him to lose to Guts quite so easily. Making an advance on the Princess also feels like it's the first brash, careless move Griffith's made so far. I'm very interested in seeing what he does now that he hasn't got everyone in the palm of his hand.

Baccano 1

8a2ffb00f06f08f4e1ea16a93fa376ff45e6146c_hq.gif

That's a "Boom Headshot" if I've ever seen one

So I'm trying to get out of this anime slump of mine with Baccano. Given that a lot of people praise it and both this and Durarara were written by the same author, I'm hoping this will help. Series is off to an intriguing (and bloody) start. Let's see where it goes from here.

Clov

Got a few BDs in the mail recently; Yuri Kuma, Lucky Star, and Otaku no Video! I'll be watching Otaku no Video later tonight, so I might write a bit about the disc then.

I've sampled a bit of the Lucky Star BD. In terms of the picture quality of the TV episodes... I guess it could have been worse. Despite what the back of the case on Funimation's release says, the series was mastered in SD, and that definitely shows. While some shots look quite clear, many shots (even ones that aren't long shots) have noticeable aliasing. It's a bit disappointing, but there's definitely been worse upscales than this one. At its best, the BD looks slightly better than the previous DVD release from Bandai. The OVA episode (which like the previous Bandai release is sub-only) benefits from the BD format much more, looking much nicer than the TV episodes.

There's a few strange extras in the set too; a recording of a stage event promoting the "Lucky Racer" TV show, which seemed to be a go-karting program that Minoru Shiraishi took part in. It seems like it was meant to promote Lucky Star; I guess this solves the mystery of why the Lucky Star branded motor oil was made. It also features a performance from this idol who sang the Lucky Racer theme song, which is a bit awkward to watch. Not because of the idol (her singing is fine), but because of the otaku that are constantly screaming and cheering. They're a bit grating. Afterwards we get shown a montage of moments from Lucky Racer; it's literally just people racing on go-karts. Not really sure why the producers wanted to use a go-kart program to promote Lucky Star. There's a Lucky Star ita-kart at the stage event, but nobody actually seemed to race with it during the program. This whole thing just confuses me. The last extra is just a collection of video recordings from a live Lucky Channel show by Shiraishi, Akira, and Misao. I found it more entertaining than the previous one.

If you enjoy the show itself and never picked up Bandai's DVD release, then it's probably worth getting. If you did have the DVD release though, it might not be worth the upgrade. Unless you really hate Bandai's ugly yellow subtitles, since this set has much nicer ones than that.

kewlmyc

Baccano 1

So I'm trying to get out of this anime slump of mine with Baccano. Given that a lot of people praise it and both this and Durarara were written by the same author, I'm hoping this will help. Series is off to an intriguing (and bloody) start. Let's see where it goes from here.

Good on you. Probably my favorite anime series.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 14,15
I wonder how he's going to solve this, the checkpoint is too close to the problem and the enemy is too strog.
I also wonder what happened to Emilia and Beatrice, Emilia could be in the tower since it was still cold and Beatrice's corpse wasn't shown.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 14,15
I wonder how he's going to solve this, the checkpoint is too close to the problem and the enemy is too strog.
I also wonder what happened to Emilia and Beatrice, Emilia could be in the tower since it was still cold and Beatrice's corpse wasn't shown.

Episode 15 spoilers

Puck isn't pissed off for no reason.

Baccano 2

Really liking the dynamic between Issac and Miria. The antics are both compelling and make me laugh. The Rail Tracer stuff has some intrigue behind it as well.

On a more general note, the intro is great. Really like the instrumental mixed in with the animation throughout the intro. Good stuff overall.

There's a few strange extras in the set too; a recording of a stage event promoting the "Lucky Racer" TV show, which seemed to be a go-karting program that Minoru Shiraishi took part in. It seems like it was meant to promote Lucky Star; I guess this solves the mystery of why the Lucky Star branded motor oil was made. It also features a performance from this idol who sang the Lucky Racer theme song, which is a bit awkward to watch. Not because of the idol (her singing is fine), but because of the otaku that are constantly screaming and cheering. They're a bit grating. Afterwards we get shown a montage of moments from Lucky Racer; it's literally just people racing on go-karts. Not really sure why the producers wanted to use a go-kart program to promote Lucky Star. There's a Lucky Star ita-kart at the stage event, but nobody actually seemed to race with it during the program. This whole thing just confuses me. The last extra is just a collection of video recordings from a live Lucky Channel show by Shiraishi, Akira, and Misao. I found it more entertaining than the previous one.

Huh. Interesting. That's not on the Bandai DVDs. Always wondered what that go kart program was like :p

Re:Zero 7

This is advancing more slowly than I thought it would. Because the 'gimmick' of the series, two events were repeated each three or four times, so even after seven episodes the plot couldn't progress a lot.
The series between comedic moments and very idiot moments of the MC, knows to nail the brief, key dramatic scenes, even the drawing and directing improves on them. I think part of the rising popularity of the series is because of that.

I wonder if later they will continue the explanation of why he can't say anything about his power, and wth was that scene of the black hand grasping his heart. If all ties it up with the reason he is in the world and the secrets of the characters it will be good, but otherwise it seems a crutch used by the author so he has an excuse for the protagonist to not try explain the situation to whoever is around.

It's a bit eyerolling that finally, at the end of ep. 7 he says "I will try to learn what I don't know about this situation!". Jesus, 4 deaths to reach that conclusion? A bit dense...

javac

So I watched the first 6 episodes of Kiznaiver back to back and as always I find it appropriate to just jot down my initial thoughts while they’re still fresh. Sometimes those opinions change over the course of the series as well as after some good old fashioned thinking and reflecting and with another 6 episodes left it’s obvious that lots of revelations still await me. I’m at the midpoint now and as such I have no idea in regards to how this show is going to conclude (although I could put two and two together and come to a conclusion, I have a few ideas) and so keep in mind that these are in no way coherent or articulate thoughts but rather off the cuff and spontaneous. With that out of the way…
The first thing that caught my attention during the first few minutes of Kiznaiver is the visual aesthetic and general visuals. Visually Kiznaiver is an evolution of Studio Triggers work on both Kill la Kill and LWA and it’s both striking and appealing to the eyes. I will admit that during the simulcasts I had written off the visuals for this series whenever I had come across a screenshot however in motion it’s a fairly slick looking series, although a little rough here and there, to be expected with Triggers short turnaround I guess. Color plays a fairly decent role in the visual storytelling for Kiznaiver with reds and blues colliding with one another and both no doubt allegorical of certain themes and emotions. Backgrounds are detailed and painterly and each scene is populated with plenty of objects that build a sense of place but the artists do a great job of having those elements complement each scene rather than get in the way. Although there’s a sense of place, some scenes can come across as a little disorienting due to the way in which some scenes flow into the next. Blues and greens populate the outdoors with bright sunny skies and tonnes of foliage and white, simplistic buildings filling in the city skyline. A vast majority of the background elements are computer generated and although some do stand out such as the CGI cars, most of the ancillary elements don’t really get in the way due to the frame always doing a good job of keeping the focus on the characters.
Speaking of which, the character designs are pretty good overall. The character designs are striking and interesting, clean and very stylized from the body proportions down to their hairstyles. The characters are really expressive when it comes to their facial expressions, mannerisms and their body language to an extent that even the more muted characters wear their emotions on their sleeves, be it in their apathy or indifference. Nico is the more transformative character visually which matches her eccentric personality that is no doubt used as a front to hide her true feelings. Truth be told all of the characters exude a multitude of expressions and although subtly isn’t exactly this shows (nor Triggers) strong point some expressions are harder to read than other, or at least a little more nuanced and less accentuated although most are indeed cartoony and exaggerated.
The character interactions are the highlight of the series. The characters bounce off of one other and sometimes defy their very textbook character traits although some have yet to evolve further, but I have no doubt that they will in due time. The interactions are again textbook and simple but interesting maybe due to me inserting myself into the protagonists shoes and finding some reality there. Truth be told, I find that I can relate to each character to some degree which means that even if one character hasn't had as much screen-time as the other, each interaction feels like a net-gain, a piece to a larger puzzle. I'm interested in each character and want to know more about them and even if the fates of these characters is somewhat predictable I'm still a little interested in seeing how everything plays out.
Like color, the lighting and shadows are a means to tell the story and depict characters feelings and place in the world but most of it is in the background, foreshadowings of what’s to come. The visual effect used whenever one of the characters is hurt is both effective and cool. In short, Kiznaiver is a good looking show with lots of style and flair, something that’s telegraphed to the viewer from as early as the OP which is both super cool and easily one of the best parts of this show. That probably doesn’t sound like high praise for the actual show itself and that’s for a reason…
The thing is, the general plot is actually really fascinating and novel and the show sets up some great moments to utilize these gimmicks in ways that emphasize the emotional connections between the cast of characters however I feel that the show thus far has failed to truly capitalize on the situations that it places the characters in. It never truly goes far enough, as if the writers have to retort with comedy to not make the show too serious, as if they’re scared of pushing away the audience. Again, I’m only half way through. Although it’s intended to be endearing, breaking up the drama with tints of comedy it just removes tension for me. The show actually plays up the comedy quite a bit. I generally found the comedy itself to be pretty fun even if it is low brow; maybe I’d go as far as to say that the comedy is one of the highlights of the show thus far although some of it is downright bizarre in its placement and timing which effects the whole product.
The show really has an identity crisis. Shows can successfully juggle multiple genres but Kiznaiver has failed to do so thus far. The key themes resonate with me a lot, a protagonist who sees no worth in himself coupled with a group of individuals whom are bound and connected in ways that they don’t realize at first, playing on the idea that your actions affect others. On the nose, but nice. Of course coming to anime for therapeutic reasons is the last thing one should do and such complex issues are not going to solve themselves by watching an anime series, although some people may find solace in such activities. It’s also true however that this fact alone doesn’t and shouldn't stop subjects like this from affecting me and others on an emotional level which is why it upsets me further that this show hasn’t committed thus far. It’s a show that contains otherworldly elements and it’s not a very realistic series but that shouldn’t stop the characters and their interactions from being realistically depicted. I will admit that the characters do exude some more complex characteristics, characteristics that will culminate later but I guess what I mean to say is the show fails to manage the multiple temperaments that it has. Variety is the spice of life, it’d be dull if the show was…one note and so the comedy here is appreciated, apart from the fact that it isn’t balanced well or utilized in a nuanced manner. I’m only half way through so I have no idea how the second half plays out, and judging by the cliff-hanger at the end of episode 6 things may change but I get the impression that this series might have benefited from being a little longer but time will tell on that one, maybe it’s the perfect length. The music and general sound for the series so far has been pretty good and one of the positives along with the visuals and style although a few pieces felt a little out of place given the context of the scene.
Kiznaiver is a stylish show with a super interesting gimmick that has a tonne of potential that has been utilized in uninteresting ways thus far. It’s a character driven show and the creators take pride in that. The visual aesthetic plays a huge role in the series with patterns and analogical images being incorporated. It’s a show with good intentions and with good themes and messages, messages that may benefit that audience because although they’re not high level concepts they have the potential here to be delivered in interesting ways that may resonate with the audience, if it gives them the chance to do so.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Game! Episode 2:

This show is testing my patience as it really is less workplace comedy and more CGDCT like having tea parties in the middle of the day for no good reason. Also, yea, consider me among those who finds Aoba's inexperience downright immersion breaking at points. Also also, the series need to be honest with itself over the real reason nobody on staff has a boyfriend but I doubt that will explicitly happen.

John Blade

Not really anime but I am on hold for Clannad and reading A Silent Voice. Someone recommend this manga to me and I am actually liking it so far (on the 2nd book). Just found out a movie is coming out this year which might be the few time I am actually interested in a recent anime for a very long time. I am happy I found something of a gems which I never heard before till few weeks ago.

JoJo (2012) Ep. 8-9
Mudamudamuda!! These were amazing.

Saiki Ep. 1-7
This was very fun each episode, probably will keep on watching these 5min episodes rather than the longer one with five episodes in one but not sure yet. Can't see dropping this anime, count me in until the end.

Moaradin

Wow that was fantastic! It's crazy how faithful it looks to the original ONE art yet still manages to look much more refined and expressive through the animation. They took a lot of liberties with the story and pacing that I appreciate as well. Fitting the Omake chapter in was great and I hope they do that for the future Omake chapters, because there are some pretty hilarious ones.

Bones did a fine job here and if they can maintain this level of quality, this will easily be one of the best shows of the year. Reigen is da best.

javac

I think that I'd enjoy Mob Psycho 100 a lot, I just have to wait for it to finish first so I can marathon the whole thing in two days straight and hyperventilate over the amazing visuals.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mob psycho 100 1
Goddamn, that animation. That was incredible. Strong art direction and great animation too. I like this one a lot. This is such a visual treat. Reigen VA is the bomb

Mandelbo

Berserk -END-

...fuck me that was a hell of a climax. The imagery was just on another level there. I feel like it wrapped up too quickly though -
we don't get shown what happens to Rickert, since he wasn't around when the Eclipse, nor do we see Casca after the Eclipse. I guess that the Apostles left Guts alive because Griffith had received enough sacrifices to ascend into Femto, but even so we don't see how he gets out and returns to the cabin. I also would've liked to see the Eclipse actually end rather than it fade to credits.
It did just feel like a "go read the manga" ending.

The rest of the series was absolutely fantastic though! I might write up my thoughts on the series as a whole tomorrow...

Berserk -END-

...fuck me that was a hell of a climax. The imagery was just on another level there. I feel like it wrapped up too quickly though -
we don't get shown what happens to Rickert, since he wasn't around when the Eclipse, nor do we see Casca after the Eclipse. I guess that the Apostles left Guts alive because Griffith had received enough sacrifices to ascend into Femto, but even so we don't see how he gets out and returns to the cabin. I also would've liked to see the Eclipse actually end rather than it fade to credits.
It did just feel like a "go read the manga" ending.

The rest of the series was absolutely fantastic though! I might write up my thoughts on the series as a whole tomorrow...

The old anime cut out the character who shows up and rescues
Guts and Casca from inside the Eclipse hellzone and takes them to Godo's cabin

Quasar

Yeah I was onboard with Netflix release this as a binge watch until I realised I was binging on half a show :( I really enjoyed Kuromukuro so this was a signal disappointment, really if they want to release all at once do exactly that and release it all at once or just suck it up and simulcast it.

The show itself is great fun, the comedy beats work and the central mystery is well set up so roll on pt2

Its weird. They are happy to release other shows weekly.

Hopefully my proxy starts working with netflix Japan again soon. Otherwise I might have to get desperate.

ReLIFE 4

This episode was notably well directed, particularly when it came to expressing Kariu's feelings of self-loathing and her externalizing of them against Hoshino. There were a lot of interesting visual tricks being used, from her past self separating from her ghostly present self at the beginning to the visual noise distorting her face when she becomes depressed or anxious. This appears to be the first time the storyboarder and episode director, Katsuhiko Biken, has served in either of those roles, having previously only worked as an animator. If so, it's a promising debut.

Sölf

The old anime cut out the character who shows up and rescues
Guts and Casca from inside the Eclipse hellzone and takes them to Godo's cabin

Wait what? I never watched that one (only 1 or 2 episodes) because I read the manga, but did the anime seriously completely cut that character out? Or just at that scene?

Sölf;209813890 said:
Wait what? I never watched that one (only 1 or 2 episodes) because I read the manga, but did the anime seriously completely cut that character out? Or just at that scene?

There's no Skull Knight in '97 at all

JulianImp

That was adorable, yeah.

So, I watched a bit more seasonal stuff:

Mob Psycho #1
While I did enjoy OPM and this show has some sick animation, I'm not really feeling the humor here, making it not something I'd actually watch regularily.

Taboo Tattoo #2
I was expecting it to get trashier, but it looks like it's going to be a decent-ish show in the end, albeit a bit too edgy at times.

91 Days #1
Not really feeling this so far, but will give it a couple more chances.

Bananya #1
Nya

Short show that's... well... nya. I'll pass.

Re:Zero #15
Ah, this sure was a sight for sore eyes after all the mediocre seasonal anime I had watched. Looks like his new save point won't allow him to undo the damage he did to his standing with Emilia (and with just about everyone who had attended the royal selection as well), and it's also way too close to a really big problem that is the sudden appearance of evil teleporting cultists led by a crazy mad and powerful guy. It's really unnerving how this show keeps managing to find ways to break Subaru more and more with each passing arc, which isn't something I see all that often in anime, giving us way lower lows as he sinks into ocmplete despair, but which also result in higher highs once he manages to make things work out in the end.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 8 Reach Him! Sign of Love

I love whenever Saiki uses his powers to dodge people right at the last moment, the sound effect and reaction always makes me lol. Yumehara you tried.

Also the read the manga part, guess they didnt want to spend more time explaining those powers.
CnNdPjqXEAAy2lO.jpg:small

Just T

Amaama to Inazuma: 2

Very enjoyable. Kouhei really is putting in effort, would criticize the bread cutting scene but I sometimes begin to do something like that lol I realize how foolish it is though and catch myself. I thought Kouhei's conversation with the other teacher or was he the principal? Either way I thought that was a good scene. Kotori and Tsumugi continue to be great as well.

Mob Psycho 100: 1

Wow, before anything else these visuals are awesome, that opening, I'm really liking the style Bones got going on in this, bravo. I enjoyed the episode, not all the humor came through but overall it was very good beginning.

I bit underwhelmed with Mob 1 due to reading impressions on here but it was aight. I'll continue to watch, I did like Mobs battle theme though, really badass.

Cornbread78

Amaama to Inazuma: 2

Very enjoyable. Kouhei really is putting in effort, would criticize the bread cutting scene but I sometimes begin to do something like that lol I realize how foolish it is though and catch myself. I thought Kouhei's conversation with the other teacher or was he the principal? Either way I thought that was a good scene. Kotori and Tsumugi continue to be great as well..

If nothing else, maybe it will help alleviate some of the worries about the father's motivations in regards to the situation, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom