• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Kuromukuro - Episode 13

The episode did a great job of balancing between the school life side of the story and the intrigue of the invaders, and it finally comes to head in a big cliffhanger. Good stuff. School festivals are always entertaining, and seeing Ken interact with stuff he's not familiar with is fun too. But after that cliffhanger... goddamn... Netflix where is episode 14?!

Kuromukuro - Episode 13

The episode did a great job of balancing between the school life side of the story and the intrigue of the invaders, and it finally comes to head in a big cliffhanger. Good stuff. School festivals are always entertaining, and seeing Ken interact with stuff he's not familiar with is fun too. But after that cliffhanger... goddamn... Netflix where is episode 14?!

Looks like Netflix isn't going to be updating with new episodes weekly outside Japan, unfortunately.

Looks like Netflix isn't going to be updating with new episodes weekly outside Japan, unfortunately.

Yeah I was onboard with Netflix release this as a binge watch until I realised I was binging on half a show :( I really enjoyed Kuromukuro so this was a signal disappointment, really if they want to release all at once do exactly that and release it all at once or just suck it up and simulcast it.

The show itself is great fun, the comedy beats work and the central mystery is well set up so roll on pt2

duckroll

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 1

If someone decided to adapt CLAMP's entire RG Veda manga into a series using stop motion puppets, this is probably what it would look like. A Japanese interpretation of Chinese Wuxia with over the top designs, elaborate costumes, and tropes up the wazoo. The detail of the props and puppets are very impressive, and the direction is rather exciting. Might watch more.

Narag

Thunderbolt Fantasy - Episode 1

If someone decided to adapt CLAMP's entire RG Veda manga into a series using stop motion puppets, this is probably what it would look like. A Japanese interpretation of Chinese Wuxia with over the top designs, elaborate costumes, and tropes up the wazoo. The detail of the props and puppets are very impressive, and the direction is rather exciting. Might watch more.

Do you think this is the sort of thing firehawk might enjoy?
Asking for a friend.

Grimgar 3-12(END)

Overall Grimgar is a treat. Not a perfect one, but its special in its own way. Fantasy world LN adaptations kind of have to or else they end up being generic and annoying. This one has a much higher focus on the team rather than a central character, and had the enemies feel like sentient being that were being hunted (basically, with the exception of death spot, all the kills felt like kills, not just defeating an enemy). Ranta is a piece of shit though (though that's kind of the point).

3 things that peeved me. The art style is... mixed in how its handled. There are times where its utterly gorgeous and works amazingly (these tend to be indoor shots), and times where it feels like someone took the first draft of some concept art (you know, the draft where you plan things out and test which colours to use) and said "yep, looks great". It didn't though; when those times happen, it feels lazy, like an excuse with getting away with poor detail. The second thing is the shipping teases. Its a bit of a pet peeve of mine when romantic subplots don't get resolved. Lots of shipping teases and nothing really happens. Why must anime blueball my need for complete romantic arcs so damn much. The 3rd and largest thing is the unneeded sexualization. The ass shots and slight peeks don't fit here AT ALL. It detoured and added nothing! It felt like someone just couldn't help themselves. That person needs to have a talking to. (I will say that there is one exception to this, which is the scene on the patio where Haruhiro and Merry are talking. But then that part of it corresponds to issues #2, so I'm still not happy.)

Overall I would recommend it. The artwork is jarring more than a few times, and there needless sexualization thrown in, but if you can get through that, you are in for a treat.

I really enjoyed Grimgar when it aired. Still one of my favourite shows this year for sure, and still in my top 10 of the year cut somewhere.

duckroll

I feel like the harder one tries to convince firehawk to watch something, the more he resists.

Just looked up RG Veda, by the way, and the story sounds like a dry run for X. Is that accurate?

Not at all? It's nothing like X at all. It's basically CLAMP taking the loose concept of Indian mythology and deities, and using it as a basis for a wuxia epic. So it has Japanese design, Chinese influenced narrative and tropes, and Indian mythological references. It is also filled with homosexual overtones, which is the only similarity it shares with X.

Szadek

Puella Magi Madoka Magica - Ep. 3 ( Rewatch)
Even knowing what's going to happen, this is still one of my favorite episodes of the first half.
I really love the design of the maze and the Witch.
There is a lot you can learn about the witch and who she used to be as a human if you pay attention.
All the imargey of food and medicine are supposed to tell you that she was sick and unable to eat her favorite food.
On top of that from all the toys, the high chairs and tabels as well as that her final form is supposedly a reference to "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" you can tell that she was exceptionally young for a magical girl.

Coming back to this episode after reading volume 1 of "The Different Story" also adds some addtional context to this episode, because Mami wasn't always alone after becoming a Mahou Shoujo.

Hi there AnimeGAF, semi-long time lurker here but you all inspired me to join and write something too. Don't usually watch new animes but as Haikyuu (bestest show ever) season 3 is coming in fall I thought maybe I'll start in the summer season just for a little warm-up.

My favorite animes are Haikyuu!, Arrow Emblem Grand Prix no Taka (childhood love), Kuroko no Basket, Nichijou, Chihayafuru. Others I think are excellent or like a lot are: Ghibli movies, Diamond no Ace, FMA:B, Gurren Lagann Ping Pong the Animation, OPM, Steins;Gate and Initial D. Favorite genre is definetly sports \o/

Animes that I really don't like: Bleach, SAO, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Naruto: Shippuden, Beyblade and Love Live Idol School Project (sans for memes). I probably acculumated a good amount of haters there so I don't need to do so in the future.

Seen a few dozen animes so far and looking to consume more until it all consumes me.

Anyway from this season I've watched so far...well actually just

Days ep. 1-2
- a sports anime so I can't skip this. Don't really feel the characters yet but if the matches will be good then I'll watch all of this. Will be seen though. Episode 2 didnt start good but the second half was better.

Will try to watch from summer season also that Saiki anime which seems like Akashi (character from Kuroko) in middle school if he went insane :D Watching JoJo 2012 now too, in episode 8, not sure when I can catch up to Part 4 but it's pretty fun so far. Might pick up Re:Zero too and oh yeah Mob Psycho 100 episode aired yesterday I need to get on to that. Anyways thanks for reading AnimeGAF, I'm a fan.

Taboo Tattoo - 02

Big meh. Occasional smug faces, action scenes and silly names like Bluesy Fruesy can only keep me interested for so long. One of my main issues with the show is how drab it looks.
Though I feel I need to continue until I can see what that Lisa Lovelock is all about.

paging metroidprimerib

Hi there AnimeGAF, semi-long time lurker here but you all inspired me to join and write something too. Don't usually watch new animes but as Haikyuu (bestest show ever) season 3 is coming in fall I thought maybe I'll start in the summer season just for a little warm-up.

My favorite animes are Haikyuu!, Arrow Emblem Grand Prix no Taka (childhood love), Kuroko no Basket, Nichijou, Chihayafuru. Others I think are excellent or like a lot are: Ghibli movies, Diamond no Ace, FMA:B, Gurren Lagann Ping Pong the Animation, OPM, Steins;Gate and Initial D. Favorite genre is definetly sports \o/

Animes that I really don't like: Bleach, SAO, Digimon, Sailor Moon, Naruto: Shippuden, Beyblade and Love Live Idol School Project (sans for memes). I probably acculumated a good amount of haters there so I don't need to do so in the future.

Seen a few dozen animes so far and looking to consume more until it all consumes me.

Days ep. 1-2
- a sports anime so I can't skip this. Don't really feel the characters yet but if the matches will be good then I'll watch all of this. Will be seen though. Episode 2 didnt start good but the second half was better.

Will try to watch from summer season also that Saiki anime which seems like Akashi (character from Kuroko) in middle school if he went insane :D Watching JoJo 2012 now too, in episode 8, not sure when I can catch up to Part 4 but it's pretty fun so far. Might pick up Re:Zero too and oh yeah Mob Psycho 100 episode aired yesterday I need to get on to that. Anyways thanks for reading AnimeGAF, I'm a fan.

Team Ace of Diamond.

Please watch Battery and Cheer Boys.

Team Ace of Diamond.

Please watch Battery and Cheer Boys.

Battery I was actually planning to watch and well if a senpai orders to watch Cheer Boys I guess..I'm in. Gotta watch them sports are they whatever. I mean Chihayafuru made karuta fun so I just might not read premises anymore, just watch everything that has sports genre tag on it.

Battery I was actually planning to watch and well if a senpai orders to watch Cheer Boys I guess..I'm in. Gotta watch them sports are they whatever. I mean Chihayafuru made karuta fun so I just might not read premises anymore, just watch everything that has sports genre tag on it.
Cheer boys seems like it could be actually pretty good from that first episode. Do give it a try.

KraytarJ

My favorite animes are Haikyuu!, Arrow Emblem Grand Prix no Taka (childhood love), Kuroko no Basket, Nichijou, Chihayafuru. Others I think are excellent or like a lot are: Ghibli movies, Diamond no Ace, FMA:B, Gurren Lagann Ping Pong the Animation, OPM, Steins;Gate and Initial D. Favorite genre is definetly sports o/

Days ep. 1-2

Saiki and ReZero are both phenomenal btw, absolutely worth your time.

Cornbread78

Hi there AnimeGAF, semi-long time lurker here but you all inspired me to join and write something too.

My favorite animes are FMA:B, Gurren Lagann , Steins;Gate

Animes that I really don't like: Bleach, SAO, Digimon,

Might pick up Re:Zero too

Anyways thanks for reading AnimeGAF, I'm a fan.

Let me just get this right out of the way, your favorite anime sucks and if you do have a waifu, I'm sure she is pure trash as well.....

OK, now, down to business...

Don't try to suck up by telling everyone you hate SAO right away; that's not right man, be a fan and cherish the power of Kirito!

I'm watching FMA:B for the first time right now and it has been pretty good, and Gurren Lagann was awesome, but I'm still pissed at the ending so don't tell me
Simon was meant to me a loner
for life because no, he got screwed by an evil writer....

Steins Gate is one of my favs, so that's cool at least, lol.

Oh and start ReZero ASAP!

And Cross Game is the best Sports Anime ever, lol

With all that being said:

Z5uyhnk.gif

WELCOME, Kick your shoes off and enjoy!

I'm watching FMA:B for the first time right now and it has been pretty good, and Gurren Lagann was awesome, but
I'm still pissed at the ending so don't tell me Simon was meant to me a loner for life because no, he got screwed by an evil writer....

Dude, that's a straight up spoiler that didn't even need to be said.

Aki-at

My favorite animes are Haikyuu!, Arrow Emblem Grand Prix no Taka (childhood love), Kuroko no Basket, Nichijou, Chihayafuru. Others I think are excellent or like a lot are: Ghibli movies, Diamond no Ace, FMA:B, Gurren Lagann Ping Pong the Animation, OPM, Steins;Gate and Initial D. Favorite genre is definetly sports o/

Days ep. 1-2

Welcome!

You're coming up to one of my favourite parts of JoJo, hope you enjoy best JoJo.

Jintor

Dagashi 3

I dunno what I'm looking for in this series. I guess I'm looking for the reaction faces because those are the parts of this that are really good? And I like Saya and Hotaru's interactions. Everything else is just kind of... there. And the candy trivia is wasted on me, a person who doesn't like candy.

Kokonotsu is an okay 'mc' insofar as it goes but his design is so weirdly offputting.

Theonik

The really unintentionally funny/frightening thing about that scene is that for a chef's knife to part a bread roll so easily it would have to be pretty damn sharp.
I do this all the time. Would never do it if the knife was not at least this sharp. And hell I'd never use a knife at all if it wasn't. It's actually safer if the knife is sharp since you need to exert minimal force behind the blade. The actual risk of cutting yourself is near zero and even if you do the cut should be clean enough it won't matter.

Jintor

the thing is dad can't use a knife for shit. i was legit anxious when he was trying to cut the daikon without placing the tip of the blade against the board and holding the daikon properly.

even anime bad cooking practice makes me anxious.

Cheer Boys!! Episode 2 Your First Cheerleader Smile
CnLEFkeXYAATAYV.jpg:small

Gen is definitely. Loved both him and Ichiro this episode.

When the four demonstrated this episode it felt first embarrassing but then pretty awesome once Haru finally got his smile in and put his all into it.

Kazu also knows him a ton, their txt convo on the rooftop, lol.

Never heard of that movie.
CnLBkv_XYAAlKxC.jpg:small

f88c405d0ec098b09242c772cf468d71.jpg

The beginning had me thinking this could be the origin story for
Anti-Spiral
in TTGL

2503cf34e19ad7f9976a4b5126c30066.png

Not sure whats the thing ONE has with the chins but at this point I guess I would miss them if they weren't present

Didn't look but I'm pretty sure Reigen has Miyuki's VA (from DNA). Mob and OPM could be the same universe (kinda, not really) if this was in the future and Mob was the lovechild of Saitama and Tatsumaki. Would explain the Saitama on Reigen's phone and the chins.

As expected, this seems like a show that will be cool to watch weekly.

blurr

Just looked up RG Veda, by the way, and the story sounds like a dry run for X. Is that accurate?

wow, thanks for sharing, will check it out and share with my friends

Mob Psycho 100 01

This reminds me of the time I saw the first episode of OPM, obvious resemblance narrative-wise but visually a lot more expressive. It only lays the backdrop/setting for the show through incredible visual choices -
Mob is an uber powerful psychic, a paranormal combatant who is utterly poor at studies or sports. While Mob is oblivious of the extent of his power, a non-psychic detective takes advantage of his abilities to solve paranormal problems and earn some money in the process.
I had a few laughs here and there but I'm looking forward to see where this goes, if Mob undergoes any amount of development. More so considering he hit puberty as hinted in the show.

This evidently is one hell of a romp for sakuga fans, I am not very keen at identifying its visual fidelity and finesse but I will try to learn a thing or two by reading sakuga fan impressions. If anything, I mostly tend to appreciate character animation, I liked all of Reigen Arataka's faces, my favorite instance was at 18:19 when we only see his mouth while he is speaking, it was a starkly impressive little sequence.

Kuromukuro - Episode 13

Well there are subs for episode 14, it's decent enough.

Of course its repetitive, he resets upon death.

Hohohoho

That's a solid 7 joke.

Mandelbo

Berserk 16 (halfway through)

Why is Adon still alive? Why didn't they kill him when he was wounded in their last fight? He even pulled the same sneak crossbow attack twice and got away with it! Can't he just die already?

edit: oh Casca cut his head in half
Go Casca!

Taruranto

Biscuit strikes back. #2

Don't worry, I know enough about this to know you are not going to top anything soon.
Then again Sugita seems to disagree with me, so who knows?

The budget is already falling apart, a lot of QUALITY shots this episode. How are they going animate
male cheer-leading?

Otherwise the episode was pretty fun (holy shit, underage drinking!) and it's fun too see the characters struggling with the idea and the embarrassment of
male cheerleading.
Are they going to recruit 16 people? I'm not sure I like that. How many episodes is this going to be?

For now I'll probably stick around for another episode, though.

Saiki-kun 1-7

Good stuff, a short episode a day is a very neat format to watch a comedy anime like this. It prevents the show from overstaying it's welcome but it still keeps you invested as you don't have to wait a whole week just to see a few minutes of animation.

The dodgeball arc was fun, I loved the popularity meter and the new side character. A lot of the side characters are likeable though, especially because of their theme songs.

hahaahahahahaha

You didn't forget it!

Biscuit strikes back. #2

Don't worry, I know enough about this to know you are not going to top anything soon.

Then again Sugita seems to disagree with me, so who knows?

The budget is already falling apart, a lot of QUALITY shots this episode. How are they going animate
male cheer-leading?

Otherwise the episode was pretty fun (holy shit, underage drinking!) and it's fun too see the characters struggling with the idea and the embarrassment of
male cheerleading.
Are they going to recruit 16 people? I'm not sure I like that. How many episodes is this going to be?

For now I'll probably stick around for another episode, though.

I think they can be done recruiting in two or three episodes, if we use the op for example, then many of the rest are already within groups of 3 or 4.

Handa-kun - 01

Yeh, the non 4th wall breaking part was actually somewhat funny. Will watch another episode to see how it goes. Originally I had no intention of watching this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom